[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Part /k/, part /tg/ question here. How would firearm design realistically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1460508306363.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460508306363.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
Part /k/, part /tg/ question here. How would firearm design realistically change in a setting with many humanoid species of varying heights/builds (between 3-8ft tall, average 4-5ft range)? Would pistol carbines and SMGs/PDWs be an effective way to arm smaller species? What would you be able to arm a significantly individual with that would stand a chance against an armored, significantly larger one?
>>
Ergonomics are more about appendages than height. I think Halo did a very good job of making weapons that fit the covenant races (they were usually race-specific, ie jackals to covie sniper/carbine, grunts to plasma pistol, etc) but could still be wielded by something else like, say, a human, in a pinch. I'd say, start with halo designs. I like /tg/
>>
File: m4.jpg (21 KB, 650x232) Image search: [Google]
m4.jpg
21 KB, 650x232
"killing power" is very exagerated, what will do for a 4' imp will do for a 9' orc or something. Pic related still is the perfectest option for anything bipedal. change lenght of pull and grip/trigger size/shape for ayy's hand.
>>
>>29994759
>AR
>not GAU-8
>>
>>29994759
To be fair, larger creatures usually do have thicker skin than other, smaller creatures.
>>
>>29994793
Yes, it's true, i'm not saying you should be hunting elephants with 22bb but they can be killed with bow and arrows. Unless your creatures are wearing japanese plot armour, anything between 5.56 and 7.62 nato is gud enuf.
>>
>>29994835
How large would a humanoid creature need to be to be able to practically handle a mid-size rifle caliber weapon?
>>
>>29994852
Have you ever shot a 5.56 rifle? Recoil is crazy tiny. Kids can and do handle them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx2WxGD6aXY
Now imagine they were 20y.o. soldiers but tiny, could work.
>>
>>29994718
How are these species interacting?
Is it a race on race conflict? Is there some kind of coalition like >>29994747? Or just a rag-tag band of free-lancers?

Personally I'd be looking into crew serviceable weapons for smaller races.
>>
I can see a more mechanically inclined specie using more advanced weight and recoil reduction techniques
>see ak10x
sabot/flechettes rounds
>see ACR program by the us army.
and advanced sighting/marksmanship to compensate for physical weakness, while stronger bigger and more brutish, usually portrayed as less imaginative or intelligent humanoids, use large, beefed up open bolt smg type weapon in large caliber, think sten in 50 beowolf or something.
>>
>>29994886
Shot some larger hunting rifles but never an AR. Damn, didn't realize it was THAT light.
>>29994951
Races live in harmony, for the most part. Characters are free-lancers/mercs. Think along the lines of Shadowrun but with way more species/races. Crew weapons wouldn't really work, man-portability is a necessity.
>>
>>29994994
I'm a POG in the army, and on my quals i dont even bother using the stock because of the aweful optic our army use, there's no need to keep it on target. it's that light.
>>
>>29995067
>theres no need to use it in order to keep it on target
is what i meant to say.
>>
>>29994994
Well then. I think the thread has pretty much stated it's possible for midgets to use intermediate cartridges.

Now all you need to do is make all this shit balanced.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.