[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Correct iron sights placement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1244180_01_sig_516_ar_15__640.jpg (42 KB, 633x348) Image search: [Google]
1244180_01_sig_516_ar_15__640.jpg
42 KB, 633x348
OK, color me stupid.

Just got my first prebuilt AR-15 with iron sights mounted just like on pic related. I'm looking at a target 30' away, and the small hole is bigger than the whole freaking target, no way this can be right. I can only guess where to shoot and getting about 3" spread at this distance, I'd call it pathetic.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be moving the rear sight forward?
>>
>>29983658
maybe you should've learned how to shoot a rifle before you bought an AR
>>
>>29983658
Don't look at the target, look at the front sight. Keep the front sight in the same place every shot. Don't concern yourself with where the bullets go.
>>
>>29983658
Take a basic shooting class.
>>
Hmmmm, I wonder what the front sight is for? Its like just sitting there, while the rear does ALL the work.
>>
>>29984047
they work together
can't have no line without having two points
if you want to argue it you can say that the front end of the gun is doing all the work because it gets swung around while that lazy back end just sits there on your shoulder
>>
>>29984058
I am not >>29984047

However, I can tell you that was a saracastic post in response to dumb nigger faggot OP's idiocy. Apparently, you are just as big of a fucking idiot.
>>
>>29984068
Fuckhead, do you even have a long gun? Or you were born already knowing how to shoot?
>>
>>29983858
I do this when I shoot the handgun - works like charm. However, the "rear sight" is too vague.
>>
Center the front sight in the middle of the rear, and try to focus on keeping the front sight in place. You don't really have to worry about the rear sight.
>>
File: sightpicture.png (334 KB, 961x681) Image search: [Google]
sightpicture.png
334 KB, 961x681
get bigger sights

Or have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQmJUIbuvI
>>
File: fs_sights.jpg (94 KB, 1024x942) Image search: [Google]
fs_sights.jpg
94 KB, 1024x942
>>29984289
That's the point, the rear sight is just a blur - too wide to allow for a decent shot.

Wonder if the fact that I'm farsighted screws everything up?
>>
>>29984323
>get bigger sights

Yeah, I suspect that I'll need to get a red dot, with my vision.

>Or have a video

Thanks for the link, will watch.
>>
>>29984336
No you idiot. Its a fucking peep sight. That is how it works. Look through the back hole, but the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

You suckiness is your own fault.
>>
File: 1461828659063.gif (273 KB, 474x400) Image search: [Google]
1461828659063.gif
273 KB, 474x400
>>29984336
god dammit your picture is wrong too.
>>
>>29983658
You suck bad and need to shoot way more.

But congrats, you just discovered how bad iron sights suck compared to a quality optic.
>>
>>29984351
>No you idiot. Its a fucking peep sight. That is how it works

Actually, I'm fine. I know that's a handgun sight picture.

>Look through the back hole, but the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

Does the word "parallax" mean anything to you? Do you get that if the rear sight is so big I don't see it, I'll miss the target even if the front sight is spot on?

> You suckiness is your own fault.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm asking for advice.
>>
>>29984372
>Does the word "parallax" mean anything to you? Do you get that if the rear sight is so big I don't see it, I'll miss the target even if the front sight is spot on?
Does the fact there is two rear sights that you choose between and the fact that as a human being estimating the center of a visual circle is not only easy, but instinctive, mean anything to you?
>>
>>29983658
That's how ring sights work. They are intended for quick target acquisition, not for precision work. The majority of people who are defending them in this thread can't shoot any better than you and are just projecting their insecurities onto you so they can feel better about their own terrible shooting.

Take >>29983858, >>29984047, >>29984289, or >>29984336 for example. Where in the OP did you say that you're not using the front sight? These people's IQ scores might add up to about 90, if taken collectively.
>>
>>29984389
>projecting their insecurities
Thanks, I think you nailed it.

/me back to practice.
>>
OP, make sure front sight is in the center of the rear peep sight but focus on front sight. Work on consistency.

With an AR with irons, you should be able to shoot a 2" group at 50 yards and a 4" group at 100 yards, with say M193 or M855. That is a not an incredible group, but respectable. I wouldn't expect much more than that with a non-match AR and non-match ammo with irons.
>>
>>29984323
>holding breath longer than 10 seconds may cause permanent death.
>>
>>29984411
OP is an ass. don't waste your time
>>
>>29983858
>Don't concern yourself with where the bullets go
Actually, this is a sound advice.

You acquire the target, you take the shot, and only then check where it went.

You keep shooting until your shot goes exactly where you intended, and when you get there - indeed, you don't concern yourself with where the bullets go, only with where you aim.
>>
>>29984323
God damn that humor is fucking great.
>>
>>29983658
>>29984405
Heres a test you can try at home.

Load up your rifle, turn the gun around so that you're looking from the muzzle to the stock and line up your front sight with the rear right while looking down from the muzzle end of the rifle.

Now pull the trigger and end your worthless existence you stupid faggot.
>>
Holy fuck why is /k/ being such a bunch of assholes to this guy? No wonder new shooters are turned away and everybody hates gun owners if this is how you treat people
>>
>>29984508
It is ok OP just get a gun and go to a range with friends who know what they are doing.
>>
>>29984546
I'm not even OP. You guys are just... something else. Wow.
>>
File: Idubbbz.jpg (27 KB, 640x649) Image search: [Google]
Idubbbz.jpg
27 KB, 640x649
>>29984323
>Those humongous irons
>>
>>29984508
>>29984559
He's not understanding things that are so fundamental that it's unrealistic to walk him through it on a Chinese pottery forum. He needs to go out into the real world and get trained by a professional.

This is like going onto /o/ and asking them how to drive stick. It's possible to walk someone through the steps to change gears manually but the question itself suggests a level of ignorance that can't be remedied using this format. Also, this is an enthusiast board on the asshole of the internet; if you ask a stupid question you should expect negative feedback.
>>
this just all came natural to me, I don't see how people can fuck this stuff up
>>
File: 1441549222276.png (245 KB, 934x309) Image search: [Google]
1441549222276.png
245 KB, 934x309
>>29984323
that video is a comedy goldmine
>>
>>29984372
>Does the word "parallax" mean anything to you? Do you get that if the rear sight is so big I don't see it, I'll miss the target even if the front sight is spot on?
Peep sights are magic. Don't try to comprehend them your abilities are below that. Just do it:
>>29984411

>inb4 i am smart enough
No, you don't.
http://www.thenewrifleman.com/what-a-peep-does-for-you/
http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Aperture_Sight_Demo.pdf
>>
>>29985364
Now we're talking.
>>
>>29984866
>asking them how to drive stick
Simple. You control the gas with your foot, but you control the clutch with your LEG. That's all there to it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.