[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bear Hunt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: bearhunt.jpg (12 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
bearhunt.jpg
12 KB, 241x209
Hi /k/ Im going on a bear hunt in 1 week.
Im going to spot and stalk black bear with rifle in Alberta.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
This is my first bear hunt.
>>
File: winchester70.jpg (6 KB, 484x104) Image search: [Google]
winchester70.jpg
6 KB, 484x104
shamelessly self bumping for more visibility
>>
File: coreyknowlton.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
coreyknowlton.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>
>>29979776
Get a doggie. A Karelian bear dog, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnQpBmGE_0
>>
>>29979776
max out a credit card or two and get something in .50BMG just to be sure
>>
>>29979776
don't get mauled by a bear
>>
File: serbu-rn-50-1-725x900[1].jpg (192 KB, 725x900) Image search: [Google]
serbu-rn-50-1-725x900[1].jpg
192 KB, 725x900
>>29980004
>>
Don't kill da bears man, they didn't do anything to you.
>>
>>29979776
remember to bring your tag
>>
>>29979776
get a rifle chambered in 45-70 gov't, get bear mace too
>>
>>29979776
Avoid the claws.
>>
Since we're on the topic, what are some /k/ approved guns in 45-70?
>>
>>29979776
>advice
Be prepared to not get a bear for at least 7 hunts... and even then if you finally see one you can shoot it had better put it down in one shot because they will either make a B-line straight for you (bears are fast.) or run far, far away (Deer miles have nothing on bear miles.)

The be prepared to haul hundreds of pounds of fur and meat back (likely at night) while you try to find your way back to your vehicle 15 miles away...
>>
>>29980505
anything made by henry
>>
Catch a big one..
>>
>>29980505
Marlin 1895.
>>
>>29979776

I hope you're in good shape.

Make sure you're tagged and legal and bring enough gun. I like heavy bullets for bear and bear-like creatures, but where I hunt a .35 Remington is slow and heavy. Up there, I imagine the bear are bigger and bolder.

As said, a 45-70 is a good choice. Henry or Marlin would be sexy. Also, bring the right clothing so you can climatize.

And medical supplies. A tourniquet or three would be welcome in your pack along with a good bandage and maybe some combat gauze.

Have a good time and kill us a big one.
>>
>>29979776
>Bring a decent caliber side arm. Sows are super protective of their cubs and if you get to close unknowingly, they'll attack.
>Also unless its attacking you, its generally frowned upon to kill sows as apposed to boars.
>Not sure how the weather is in Alberta this time, but when I did my bear hunt in northern Maine late September the bugs where fucking ridiculous. So maybe consider getting a Thermacell.

Have fun, enjoy the hunt. Hope you bag something.
>>
>>29979776

That animal is beautiful. Fucking REEEEEEEEEEE! Trophy hunting is only okay if you're getting those $25,000 exotic permits on some Texas ranch. Not your faggot $8 sporting goods store permit. Fuck.
>>
Yeah my advice is wear a fucking mask for all that smoke.
>>
>>29981878
>>29980055
... you do realize you're on a weapons board, right? And this is one of the many uses for such weapons? I get that it can be gruesome, but for a lot of us, this is a way of life.
>>
>>29982070
I like hunting as much as the next guy, but trophy hunting for anything other than pest control, does not sit well with me.

Why kill an animal for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>29982070
And bears are just fucking awesome
They look just nice and I want to pet one...
Wont happen without getting killed but they just got the looks
>>
Don't go alone. Blackies are pussies but they are fucking heavy.
>>
Cary a backup pistol.

Most people take the sights off of it. It hurts less when the bear takes it and shoves it up your ass.
>>
>>29982302
He lives in Canada. He can't carry a restricted.
>>
>>29982358
Hmmm I guess just find the thinnest/smoothest gun you could then. I'd lube it with cosmoline I guess, less friction, don't want to prolapse.
>>
>>29982302
jesus christ my sides
>>
Not necessarily about hunting bear, but anything less than .357 is gonna be the death of you and the bear
>>
>>29982206
Oh dude I'm with you, but when I used to live up north, that used to be our food. Not bears in particular, but if one was close enough and bothering us, that meant I didn't have to spend that much money on food.

>>29982167
I don't care for it. I mean, if you've got the tags, and you're hunting fair, then let them be. So they waste the food, like a lot of restaurants already do. The park gives out so many tags because they need them out of there for the next season.

But I've also seen many trophy hunters trade the meat on the animal for the head to be properly set up and hung. So thats a good compromise in my humble opinion.
>>
>>29982510
Lol, I carry a model 19 .44 mag, and I even get nervous with that as a back up. Fuckers are resilient, hard to kill and deserve our respect just because of that. If a bear isn't the most /k/ animal, idk what is.
>>
Where in Alberta are you going? I'm north of red earth in camp
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.