[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: SteyrSSG69.jpg (111 KB, 1023x682) Image search: [Google]
SteyrSSG69.jpg
111 KB, 1023x682
When you go hunting deep innawoods how many rounds do you take with you?

I've never gone, but want to go this fall. Got a 308. Should I just bring 2-3 mags full? (9-15 rounds total)
>>
If you take more you will be inclined to shoot more so you may take poor shots. That is just my opinion, I may be wrong.
>>
>>29972542

Yeah, but what about for bears, cougar, and moose? Got to have a reload too, right?
>>
>>29972518

Usually 200 rounds. Besides hunting, I tend to do some general target practice...Plus need extra ammo for democracy skin walkers.
>>
>>29972708
Love how auto correct made dem into Democracy
>>
Small game hunter here, I usually take 10-20 extra game load shells, not including the 3-6 in my shotgun, and 5 buckshot shells in case of burrs or meth heads, since that's about how many shell holders my vest has.
>>
>>29972518

I almost never need more than 1-2 rounds but I'm like you - carrying 9-15 (308, 30-06, etc.). There's that one time where you'll have an entire sounder run towards you or you'll be in that 5/6-deer county and the dumb shit deer can't tell where the shots are coming from.

For .22 I carry at least 50 extra. For shotgun, birds - as many as comfortable. For shotgun, small game - at least one box...usually high brass (piney woods squirrels).

(Texas here)
>>
>>29972518
Whatever I've got in the gun plus a box. Never felt the need for more.
>>
I have personally never fired more than 4 rounds on a hunting trip (unless we're talkin birds) but it would be a good idea to bring at least a full box, maybe two in case you lose some.

I hiked in two feet of snow all day up the side of a mountain for 11 hours a few years ago, when I got in position to take the shot, it occurred to me that all of my bullets had fallen out of my pocket at some point and I had only the 4 rounds in my gun.

The shot was 540 yards and I missed the first two, (no idea how, I think I knocked the scope at some point) The second shot landed but missed the vitals and the deer ran off down the side of the mountain about 150 yards. I was able to creep down a ways and get around 80 yards closer, and with my final bullet I dropped him with a clean lung shot. It took us two more days just to get the fucker off the mountain, we had to leave him there overnight and come back the following days to drag him out because the spot was so fucked up.

Tl;dr

Make sure you have enough fucking bullets. If you get really deep into a hunt with money and effort, you had better have the equipment you need to succeed, otherwise it's just a huge waste of time and energy.

I also now carry extra bullets incase I have to re-zero my scope at some point, if you do a lot of hiking there is a good chance your shit can get knocked around and screwed up
>>
>>29972518
4 rounds of .300 savage. its all i have left from the box i bought a decade ago. Its a fudd gun and the ammunition is expensive/special order. Im broke as fuck right now.
>>
>>29972708
I have never understood the people who shoot the fuck out of their guns at nothing when hunting
>>
>>29972881
You don't understand how people find shooting fun?
>>
>>29972902
I don't understand why you would want to scare animals away defeating the whole purpose of hunting. You can shoot any time
>>
>>29972915
Sometimes you hit the limit and just want to plink before heading home. Sometimes you just don't give a fuck.
>>
>>29972915
I'd have to agree with you. Last season I went out with a buddy, following some fresh track when some dipshits start unloading in a quarry about .5 mi away. Didn't see anything for the next few days again.

Do it the other 48 weeks out of the year please.
>>
When I spot and stalk for pigs I usually carry a shell vest full of 3.5 00 buckshot, about 30 in total. If I've got a buddy with me I have him carry a rifle and I mix half buckshot half steel #4, for small game and birds.
But if I am shooting from a blind or high ground I just take a 20 round mag in my shitty ass DPMS.
>>
whatever is in the gun and an extra 10 rounds incase i run into a satanic cult mid sacrifice
>>
>>29972965
This is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about famm
>>
>>29973003
>>29972965
>Dont shoot your guns cos I want to shoot mine
Fuck off faggots.
>>
Meh opening day of PA deer season, always hear 60-150 shots in the morning/afternoon
usually 2-10 shot strings randomly
Elmer and the crew mustve upgraded to remington 7600s & their 30-30s
>>
File: Fat Shaming.jpg (73 KB, 663x657) Image search: [Google]
Fat Shaming.jpg
73 KB, 663x657
you're supposed to bring enough so that if you get lost you can signal your location by shooting 3 times, and then once every like half hour or something I dunno I can't remember how it goes exactly. but this reminds me of a story my dad told me when he worked at a gun shop
>it's deer season
>guy comes in with a busted shotgun
>stock id broken
>shit what happened
>guys only takes one slug into the woods with him
>wounded a deer
>no extra ammo
>proceeded to beat wounded deer to death
>dude is absolutely beaming
>so proud of himself
>okay dude we can fix it
>do you want me to weld a bayonet lug on too?
>everyone in store starts busting balls
anyway the dude couldn't handle the banter and got all butthurt
>>
>>29972881

Niggah, I ride a quad in. It's not hard to bring some rolled up targets in a pvc case, staple the bitches to dead trees and shoot them.
>>
>>29972965

I'm hunting on my own land, so fuck off fag.
>>
>>29972542
I disagree with you. I personally dislike the limited capacity of hinting guns because I myself have self control, and just because I have 7+1 shotgun shells in my scatter gat, goes it mean I'll unload the whole thing at flock of ducks.

Just like gun control laws in general, criminals will do what criminals do and ignore the law, while honest folk get punished.
>>
>>29973429
>you're supposed to bring enough so that if you get lost you can signal your location by shooting 3 times, and then once every like half hour or something
good advice. pretty much ~50 per day you could potentially be lost in the ass end of the woods. 2 boxes of 20 and a loaded magizine isn't exactly heavy (inb4 muh ounces make pounds REEEEE) even if your hunting rifle is a .30-06. might get a bit annoying if you have to carry a shitload of .338 lapua magnum or something.
>>
>>29972981
This.

I always have 2 reloads (Moon clip, stick mag, etc) for SHTF that can happen at any time.

What if the bombs drop, zombies virus spreads, or foriegn invaders attack when you are out hunting away from your home filled with guns and ammo and akl you have on you is a dear rifle with three rounds of 30-06?
>>
>>29972902
>>29972881
I would hate to ruin the peace of the nature, just for some plinking. truthfully hunting has really given me quite a bit of respect for nature. I can spend a whole day sitting in the tree and see nothing but still feel satisfied. I cant stand people who take popshots at animals just because they can. I met a lady who shot 6 times a buck behind a tree 60 yards away with a 12 gauge. She hit it but the deer was never recovered so it just a waste and disrespect. She also shot one in the head one time instead of slitting its throat(she had put buck shot through about every part of the deer but the heart and lungs, the SOB was running on nubs.
>>
>>29973378
deer aren't affected by one or two shots, but when you terrorize the wild life it is best to keep it to a minimum.
>>
>>29972847
I'm glad you finally got him and also learned something useful in the process. I hate fags who don't care if they only wound an animal. Thankfully they are quite rare. It just sucks that they exist.
>>
>>29972518
Does anyone know what rifle that is? Love bolt actions with irons.
>>
File: 1429940546521.jpg (78 KB, 540x613) Image search: [Google]
1429940546521.jpg
78 KB, 540x613
>>29974387
And im a faggot for not looking at the name.
>>
I don't hunt, but if I did, I would have a full mag in the rifle and one of those 10-round pouch-wallet type ammo holders with me just in case. Probably overkill, but why risk it? Last thing you want is to run out of ammo when you are miles from your car.

Of course I would also have a pistol on me. Never know when you are going to run into a bear or cougar or fuck knows what else.
>>
>>29972518
In the old days a boy would be sent out with a rifle and a single bullet.

If he returned with the bullet and no meat, he would be scolded for being a poor hunter.

If he returned without the bullet and no meat, he would be beaten for wasting ammunition.

The old days were good.

>source: my late father, who grew up during the great depression, and hunted to put food on the table
>>
>>29974453
Source: the same fairy tale bullshit that all old folks talk about "the good old days".
>>
File: 1462511455029.png (365 KB, 578x572) Image search: [Google]
1462511455029.png
365 KB, 578x572
>300 rounds of .556
>40 rounds of jhp 10mm
>machete
>single flare
>jug of tannerite
>mfw hunting for skin walkers
>>
>>29974524
>10mm
yer gonna blow the meat clean off
>>
>>29974453
The old days sucked. My great grandfather had to durrhunt in the woods of Massachusetts with a .22 rifle to put food on the table at some points.

>>29974524
>hunting for skinwalkers
>5.56
lyl
>>
>>29972518

I went deer hunting in December, I took 8 rounds, used one, and brought home one deer. it was a good time.
>>
>>29972518

Ask yourself how many rounds you want if you break your leg somewhere cell reception hasn't made it to.

I keep 3 reloads rubber-banded together in pockets/pouches and a whole box in my bag.
>>
For large game I take my .308 BLR with just one 4 round mag, plus a box of 20. For small game I take my shotgun with usually about 7-10 shells.

If you need more than a few shots chances are you are a shitty hunter.
>>
>>29974431
What pistol are you packing that's going to stop a bear? Plug a .308 into smokey's skull and he's no more.
>>
>>29972542
That's fuddlore.
>>
>>29977639
>.308 BLR
Nice.
>>
>>29972708

Sure ya do kiddo.
>>
>>29972708
>democracy skin walkers
I know its an autocorrect but the word looked completely normal and I just thought it was a term for roving liberals who get into your skin or something.
>>
Newfag here. Is a bolt action .308 enough to ward off a black bear, or would you need something faster firing like a lever-action or semiauto?
>>
>>29972518
10 12ga slugs + my G21 and a spare mag
>>
>>29972518
I take 3 in the rifle and 6 in the revolver when I leave the truck. I have a box of each in the truck.
>>
>>29979299
it will do. be sure you hit the bear.
>>
>>29978068
its literally a superstition you fucking mong, nobody said otherwise. holy fuck did you at first assume it was some scientific fact? inb4 determinism. you just wanted to act as hip as possible?

>>29972542
if tricking yourself is a way, you can also trick yourself by saying you will be in the wild indefinitely, forcing you to preserve resources
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.