[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the point of red filters on flash lights?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: il_570xN.865231550_1qxw.jpg (30 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.865231550_1qxw.jpg
30 KB, 570x428
Whats the point of red filters on flash lights?
>>
>>29956965
It looks tactical
>>
Red doesnt fuck up your night vision.
>>
>>29956965
Spooky mood lighting
>>
Doesn't fuck up your night vision
>>
>>29956965
Don't force eyes to adjust to darkness.
>>
>>29956965
reading map at night innafield
>>
This >>29956985
Plus a red light is less visible to the eye after a few feet.
>>
>>29956965
It doesn't run your natural night vision the way white light does. You can adjust to being able to see in the dark faster from using red than white light.

Also it isn't as noticeable from afar, so helps with concealment.
>>
>>29956965
Night operations where low visibility is desired (from potential enemies trying to spot you). Just enough to read a map or something. Even the headlamp I bought has a different mode that's low level red.

No one has their "moonbeam" by deployment time or you'd get laughed all the way back to boot camp.
>>
>>29956965
Red light is used for being covert n shit
>>
There is no way OP didn't know the answer to such a simple question while already on the internet. Here's your (You). This is now a night ops thread.
>>
>>29956965
Romantic light setting.
> Also, Red doesn't force your eyes to adjust to the light, so if you're in a dark area, and turn on red, you don't lose your night vision
> Also red is a narrower band, and so it wont be seen from as far away, and its less obvious and notice. That's why your emergency flares are green, and your high visibility bands are green also.
>>
>>29956965
You hang your red flashlight outside your foxhole signaling other marines to come fuck you in the ass
>>
File: 1441070377203.jpg (485 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1441070377203.jpg
485 KB, 1000x667
In rasp, you pretty much use exclusively red light.

There's really no practical use for it over white light but the rangers think red looks hardcore so they choose it. Plus, it makes finding blood harder when you're trying to treat a buddy. They use it as a joke.

If ricky comes, he can confirm.
>>
>>29957084
>>29956965

What about blue and white filters? What do they do.
>>
>>29957115
Blue is still easier on your eyes than white light. You can use it for medical shit, because you can see blood easier.

The white piece is just a spacer so the filters don't rattle as far as I know. You can't see anything through. Some kits come with a green filter in its place.
>>
>>29957115
makes the light blue and white
>>
Is it just me or does this light just keep going forever? Spare bulb, sturdy as hell, batteries are 5 years old in mine and it's been sitting around for that long too, but the damn thing is still lighting up.

Also, what's the green filter for anyway?
>>
>>29957447
St. Patrick's Day operations.
>>
>>29957115
>>29957227
Blue like red is a little less noticeable then just a straight white light.

Blue is also works great for when you're trying to read stuff at night when combined with a yellow highlighter. Anything you highlight stands out a lot more then it would view normally. Think like a black light.

It makes reading important info off maps,grgs, or other important documents a lot faster and easier.

I've actually got a blue light mounted on my helmet just for this reason. Keep in mind it's a small light though just meant for reading stuff, not illuminating a whole area.
>>
>>29957447
Sturdy, but the output is weak as hell and they are fuckhuge for what they do. Modern lights are much easier to carry.

Only time I wore an L-light was in schools that required it.

Green filter is good for signaling or ID. Otherwise it isn't used much.
>>
>>29957447
>Also, what's the green filter for anyway?
Signaling at night when handsigns can't be seen. Red and green are both used.
>>
>>29957447
>Also, what's the green filter for anyway?

army uses them on earth day
>>
>>29957115
Probably for when you're in a helicopter at night. The ANVIS-6 cannot see blue and thus will not blind the crew members.
>>
>>29956985
/thread

This is pretty much the only raisin.

>>29956998
Actually, blue is harder too see, red just doesn't fuck with your vision. Go backstage at any theatrical production and the work lights are all covered with blue gels.

>Source: approximately a decades worth of experience as a theatrical lighting designer.
>>
>>29957467

Signaling lz for beer drop, got it.
>>
>>29957504
It was not meant for ANVIS capability. Those lights are old as hell. Nobody past AIT uses them.
>>
It is the lowest energy of lights, vs the blue whih is the highest.

That's why the eyes adjust less.

Thats why programs like f.lux work.

Thats why they are/were used in photography studios since (although I haven't seen anyone phrase it like that) the chemical reactions on the film required a certain energy threshold to occur.

More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purkinje_effect

OP has now been thoroughly informed and has a new understanding of the universe.
>>
>>29957447
I've had mine since the mid-seventies. just rebuilt it last year. I was told that the white disc was for obstacles like tent guy lines and such.
>>
>>29957841
Red preserves natural night vision
Blue preserves night vision with goggles/won't blind you. Blue also makes blood easier to spot, and is invisible to dogs
Green is invisible to some animals, including Deer.
Yellow, no idea
White is a defuser
>>
>>29957045

For a (You), you need to link to his post in order to give him a (You) like i am doing right now with (You).
>>
>>29956965
keeps your platoon sergeant from reaming your ass for bad light discipline, trooper.
>>
My bedroom lamp actually uses a red LED. It helps me fall asleep knowing I'm tacticool.
>>
>>29956965
Signaling, also NVG
>>
>>29956965
Allows you to use it in low light or dark conditions to see/ read maps etc, without reducing your natural albeit very limited night vision.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.