[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point should one buy a gun safe? I live in a studio apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2
File: gun-safe.jpg (269 KB, 800x707) Image search: [Google]
gun-safe.jpg
269 KB, 800x707
At what point should one buy a gun safe? I live in a studio apartment in a gated apartment complex, and there's not a ton stopping someone from breaking in, but at the same time it seems like most safes that are worth owning cost thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

Is there any cheaper way to protect my guns?
Are cheap, $300-$500 safes worth getting at all?

t. Poorfag
>>
I saw a pretty decent safe at Costco for I think $500. 450 pounds and no exterior hinges, you might could check that out, I'm thinking about getting one myself.

I live in an apartment too on the 3rd floor and I want one too, I'm just worried about one falling through the floor and killing someone's kid or something.
>>
>>29941234

anyone who is after your guns and is even halfway serious about it can get to them unless you have a pretty serious safe.

you could go to home depot and buy $10 worth of tools which would let you cut or bust 90% of locks, cables, or safes.

and even if you buy a real safe, it's just one layer of security. if you give someone enough time, they can get through anything.
>>
>>29941278
Presumably the Ocean's 11 aren't coming after my $3000 in military surplus and walmart ammunition, but it'd make a pretty neat score for some enterprising urban youths in my area and that's who I'm worried about.

I at least want something that's going to stand up to the crowbar they used to get into they probably apartment in the first place.
>>
>>29941304
*they probably used to get into the apartment

What the fuck happened to that poor sentence.
>>
Just buy a basic gun cabinet if you don't want to go max monies
>>
>>29941278
>if you give someone enough time
If the shit's not bolted to the floor, they basically have unlimited time because they can just take the safe with them.
>>
>>29941417
Living in a gated community helps with that. Sure they can hop the fence easy, or throw a dufflebag over, but it's not that easy to hop back over with a safe.

Plus there's no reason to take it with you if you can break through it in a few minutes with just a crowbar.
>>
>>29941234
when there is a black person or family within 50 miles
>>
>>29941304
>presumably the Ocean's 11
Will you settle for a couple methheads with an angle grinder, or barring that, a fire axe?
You need to do some serious research. Safes are easy to get into unless they cost upwards of several thousand dollars.
>>
>>29941304
>milsurp
>niggers

They would probably end up buying some wal mart 30-06 and exploding one of your nuggets
>>
>>29941485
>Not just thermiting any exterior hinges
>>
>>29941485
>>29941494
>implying some cracked out dumbass is going to know how to do any of this
They'll whack it 3 times with a sledgehammer, give up, and steal his TV and leave
>>
>>29941234

Gated is just a feel safe measure, they add no real security.

I live in a nice part of town, spend almost 1400 on rent for my apartment, nice gated place, even has its own security....my place was broken into a few months ago.

Get a good safe dude. Why take the chance of Murphys law happening?
>>
>>29941491
Would serve them right. I'd be willing to sacrifice my nugget to know it gave its life embedding chunks of metal into the eye of some dindu who cut it down to try and rob a 7-11 with it.

Unfortunately, that's not by far the nicest gun I have, and there are some I'd be pretty upset over losing.

>>29941485
Soooo it's not worth getting one then? Seems pretty stupid spending $7000 to protect $3000, so until my collection is significantly bigger I should just leave them next to the bed?
>>
>>29941505
>even has its own security
If your place is like mine, all they do is shine flashlights at people telling them to get out of the hot tub after 10pm.

One time a vacant apartment across from mine's fire alarm started going off late at night, I called them about it and they said "we'll take care of it." They never showed up and the thing went off for 2 solid days until the battery died or something.
>>
>>29941505
>Good safe

Significantly more money than I have, and if I did have $10,000 laying around I certainly wouldn't spend it on a safe.
>>
>>29941526
Jesus Christ, I at least try at my job. I lie about what I can do to dickweeds who fuck up stuff and usually scare them off.
>>
>>29941234
well OP if you can't secure them, maybe hiding them is a good option?

do niggers look under the bed?
>>
I think a cheap safe is perfectly viable against the smash and grab nig nogs that will be in your apartment if it does get broken into.

I don't know why these threads devolve into home alone tier defense against a bunch of spec ops ninjas cracking into your safe.

If it can stop a crow bar it'll generally stop nig nogs.
>>
>>29941559
I have a bunch of shit under there, including boxes for airsoft guns. I thought about sticking them in the old airsoft boxes but airsoft guns would probably be worth stealing anyways. I sometimes put them under the matress if I'll be away a while, but any self-respecting burgler is going to look there. I'd have to get exotic, like behind the fridge or some shit.

I've also thought about taking up floorboards to make a little gun cubby hole that the rug will cover up, but I don't know if I could really pull that off with the tools I have without my neighbors snitching on all the carpentry I'm doing.
>>
>>29941570
That's what I wanna know, is if the cheap ass sub-$500 safes I see at Big 5 and such will be enough to turn away the casual smash-and-grab jobbers. Unless someone notices me taking gun bags in and out of the apartment there's no reason to think they'd come in expecting to find any good loot.
>>
>>29941580
a burglar wouldn't look under your damn mattress, that's basically an old wive's tale

handfuns under the mattress it is, long guns behind the fridge or something
>>
>>29941603
If I broke into a studio apartment I would totally look under the mattress.

I also thought about shoving them behind the fridge. I might do that the next time I have to leave town a while, though it'd be far too much of a pain to do every day when I leave.
>>
>>29941612
I usually give all my guns and gun accessories to my friend when I leave town for awhile. Always paranoid if I leave my thousands of dollars worth of gun stuff at my place for that amount of time.
>>
>>29941626
Not really an option. I don't have any profuns friends.

>TFW calicuck.
>>
>>29941612
mount some little wheels on your fridge so it slides in and out easier
>>
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Stack-On-14-gun-cabinet/0330132120007/_/A-4476156#

realistically, if someone breaks into my studio, theyre not gonna be here for hours. its gonna be quick. if they see guns lying around theyll take them. i feel like a safe like this would even suffice. yeah sure its easy to break into, but it would take at least an hour with a crow bar i feel like. some serious effort
>>
>>29941655

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTvW83SCLQ

time and tools
for a cheap ass safe
burglars aint gon do this
>>
>>29941655
I had a safe with pretty much the exact same lock as that one which I lost the keys to and had to break into.

Took me like 5 swings with my pitching wedge. That thing is a piece of shit.
>>
>>29941668
bullshit
>>
>>29941655
>an hour
Fuck no. Try 30 seconds with a pry bar at most. I own one just to keep a kid out of my ammo and I dont fully trust it to do that.
>>
>>29941678
I dont think you understand what that is. Its a gun "cabinet". Meaning thin gauge steel and a dollar store lock a child could open with a paperclip.
>>
If all else fails, get some dry wall, masking tape, some of that metal mesh stuff to secure joints, some of the stuff used to put texture on the wall, some one by ones, paint, and some screws. Make a false wall in a closet or shelf. Or trickier to make decently, a false ceiling that won't fall on you or cause your guns to fall on you when you open it.
>>
>>29941715
He lives in apartment. Aside from every other reason how stupid that is, he's going to be paying a hefty fee once he moves out if he does that.
>>
>>29941735
It doesn't take more than a few screws through a one by one on each side to be able to anchor it and still be able to remove it. Remove screws, fill holes if feeling generous before moving out. What else makes it stupid? It's better than under the bed or under the mattress.
>>
>>29941662
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwqwR51ZrX8
>>
>>29941234
If you're a single guy living in that apartment, absolutely get one. I work on apartment security and most of our break-ins are to units with one male living in them. They specifically look for guns and any valuables small enough to fit in their backpacks, but most reports list guns being stolen. If you see ANY little brown kids or brown/dark people in general (9/10 times its them all the time) hanging around the complex that don't look like they're supposed to be there call the police and say they look suspicious, and complain to management so they get security. Most importantly move. If you don't feel safe in that area best bet is to go somewhere you feel safer.

Also avoid complexes near gas stations and liquor stores. The formula for determining how ghetto an area is is:
>liquor stores nearby
>gas stations nearby
>walmarts nearby
>people actually outside walking around (too poor to drive places) or hanging out in their porches (nothing to do inside, can't afford cable/vidya/movies)
>>
>>29942238
>one male living in them

This is because they can monitor you and know when the one occupant is gone. When there's multiple people it's more difficult to determine when someone's home. They'll follow someone from the unit to their car, note their car and spot, and when that cars gone they know you're gone. They usually hop onto the patio area and pull the sliding glass doors open, those sliding door locks are very easy to break. Use a broom pole between it and the wall to block it from being able to slide open when you're not home. Busting the front door is less common but probably easier than the sliding doors.

Also somehow the fuckers keep getting into peoples cars when the person swears up and down they locked them and set the alarm. I'm not sure but I think there's a way to hack the key fob and disable the alarm. Don't leave anything valuable in your car, when they look in they should see 4 seats and a steering wheel. NO FUCKING CAR GUNS. You're stupid and irresponsible and I hope the gun you let fall into the hands of criminals kills you.
>>
File: 300zx.jpg (430 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
300zx.jpg
430 KB, 1024x768
>>29942262
>Don't leave anything valuable in your car, when they look in they should see 4 seats and a steering wheel.

Fucking this.

Someone busted my gf's window out because she left a bag that looked sort of like a purse on her passenger seat.

It was full of old rags and some cleaning supplies but from the outside it looked like an easy target for some quick cash/valuables.

My car is fucking spotless inside. Stock radio from the factory, nothing fancy at all. The only thing someone could steal would be the entire fucking car, in which case I can't prevent that anyway.
>>
>>29941634
That's not a dead fucking giveaway or anything.

>Yo Tyrone! dis nigguh got WHEELS on his mo fuckin fridge! Nigga must weigh just as much! Lets take it! Holy shit there's guns back here!

Forgive my lack knowledge when it comes to jigga
>>
>>29942262
>be living on the third floor
I wanna see them ups
>>
>>29941234
It's arguable, as we see, but if they are unlocked and alone, even building maintenance can go shopping for something they like. Happened to me when i was young and dumb.
>>
>>29941505
1400/month
Nice

Lol poor mother fucker.

OP perhaps a cheap way to add to the safety of your weapons is an IP camera with motion detection that can text or email you when there is movement around your safe. This way if you're close by you can drive home and go Joe Horn on those motherfuckers. There are even models that take a SIM card
>>
>>29942338
This is probly the most contributing post to the entire thread
>>
>>29941234
I got one at costco for $500
>works great
>>
>>29941266
I sure hope you have ultra low rent if you have to worry about a 450 safe breaking through the floor.
>>
>>29942389
You should actually check your lease, they normally list how much something can weigh before it's dangerous to be installed.
>>
>>29941234
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/

tldr if you can't get something nice, go buy one of those on site tool lock boxes. They're hard to get into. You just need to find a way to keep them from picking it up and walking out with it.
>>
>>29942307
They'll still break in, less likely though statistically (from what I've seen)

They have some more privacy to fuck with your door all the way up there. A pickproof lock and anti-kick system would help.

I'm not trying to make you guys paranoid, most areas that aren't walking distance to the ghettos are fine. As many of you know the ghetto seems to be fucking everywhere now. Thanks section ape housing and liberal border controls!
>>
>>29942338
A guy I knew basically did this. Got a text saying movement in his house, he drove home and got his ass kicked by some niglets with baseball bats and knives. Unless you carry, and know what you're doing, better call the cops.
>>
>>29942488
Well shit, of course it's a given that you'll be carrying. And obviously he should have called the police, because pretty sure in most states if you went there specifical to kill them you'd be arrested
>>
>>29942378
Search Google for videos "breaking into (your safe)"
>>
>>29942425
I live in America, we have people that weigh more then that.
>>
>>29942338
>nice
>apartment complex

It's just nice paint and guilded architecture. What you're paying for is richer, less ghetto neighbors. However most apartment complexes are centrally located, so you're still in the shit I described above. That freeway exit and gas station down the street are what attracted your burglars. I don't know why, they're just attracted to gas stations like flies on shit. I think it's because they sell cigarettes. There's a lot of suble things you should avoid, gotta know how to read an area.
>>
>>29942574
So before signing a lease drive around the area at night and count how many niggers you see.
>>
I've got a $250 dollar safe I found on Craigslist that has successfully protected my $11,000 worth of guns inside of it.

Average crackheads looking to pawn shit for drug money do not break into houses with sophisticated power tools.

However, if you are unlucky enough to have your home invaded by a more intelligent criminal who does carry around shit for breaking into safes, it's not going to matter what you've got
>>
>>29942594
I don't think any apartment complex can be ideal, but indeed there's better and worse ones.

During the day it's visible too, if you see a bunch of niglets and spiclets running around you're pretty much guaranteed to be hearing mariachi music and domestic disturbances all night.

I have a pretty ideal living situation despite being surrounded by somewhat ghetto area. 3 other good roommates with erratic schedules in a nice newer house. I'd recommend looking for that type of situation, but having roommates can be shit sometimes, it really varies person to person.
>>
>>29942628
They usually only carry what they can fit in a backpack.

I once chased some pedro off property who had a duffel bag and hopped onto someone's patio (while they were home). In the bag: cheap harbor freight bolt cutters, a small prybar (MAYBE could have gotten into one of those $100 snap-on cabinets), shaving supplies, and a bible...
>>
>>29942276
My car was broken into literally because I had about $7 worth of change sitting in the center console lel
>>
>>29942676
That's mostly what they're looking for. They'll smash a window for a dollar in the cup holder. Crackheads man.

Keep it out of sight.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.