[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1x-4 Scopes vs Red Dots & other magnified optics like ACOGS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10
1x-4 Scopes vs Red Dots & other magnified optics like ACOGS

Discuss
>>
>>29938868
want a fixed magnification? get an acog
want a variable magnification get a 1-6x
want a red dot? get a red dot
>>
>>29938897
What about shortdot scopes?

Aren't they objectively superior to fixed magnification?
>>
>>29938868

1x-4 scopes are fucking retarded
why the fuck would you ever use a heavy piece of shit like that for anything when you can get a lightweight aimpoint for any situation
>>
>>29938868
The B.O.S.S - (Battlefield Optical Surveillance System (BOSS) - A HMMWV Mounted System for Non-Lethal Point Defense) and other systems like it can find every optic easily, besides EOTechs with no magnifiers, hence why there was a "product recall" and refund checks cut for full MSRP for 'wandering zeros'

>https://books.google.com/books/about/Battlefield_Optical_Surveillance_System.html?id=jjK2SgAACAAJ

You cannot even find the youtube videos about the three major anti-sniper/optics systems anymore, they all been blackboxed..... Torrey Pines took down their highlight reels along with the one or two videos for DARPA's developed integrated system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8oxqnXmSYs&list=PL98_t2o2w0ps0Udz9btfVmiiC2XrbWCyZ&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzh6lqw25ok
>>
File: sights2.png (2 MB, 4738x2874) Image search: [Google]
sights2.png
2 MB, 4738x2874
Help me w/ pic related.
>>
>>29939052

While I admit 1-4 is a bit low for my tastes, I prefer 1-6, have you ever reached out to any proper distance with a 1x optic? It's certainly not as easy to see what you're aiming at.

My 1-6 is 5 ounces more than an eotech 512, and 9 with the mount. Clearly any micro dot would blow it out of the water, but it just goes to show that it doesn't have to be insanely heavy. Combine that with weight savings elsewhere and you'll be at a happy weight.

Loaded mag, sling, optic, light, full FF rail and spare batteries and I'm at 8.8lbs
>>
>>29939470
its personal preference you fucking dingus. go look at them with your own eyes and decide what you like.
>>
>>29939470
used H-1 or the strike eagle.
>>
>>29939470
The answer is always T-1. Or T-2 if you a real klutzy foam-helmet wearing retarded fuck. H-1 if you dont ever plan on buying Nightvision.

PRO is for poorfags
M4s is for wannabe jarheads, even though that is the wrong location for the battery compartment.
trijicon is a waste of money
vortex glass isnt that great, and the lens size is fucktardedly small in an attempt to keep weight down and 1x distortion to a minimum, which is still extremely noticeable.

The answer is still:
>EOTech Master-fuckin-race
>>
>>29939675
Eww the micros are FUGLY. the mounts make me want to vomit.
>>
>>29939724
>Eww the micros are FUGLY.
You seem pretty set on what you want, so buy whatever is prettiest then faggot. we both know its just for shitposting the same picture 1000000x on /arg/-AutismicRetardsGeneral
>>
>>29939790
I don't know which to get. I will admit, I have eliminated a few.

I'm down to deciding a 4 way; Aimpoint Pro, Aimpoint CompM4s, Vortex Strike Eagle, and Vortex PST.

One cheap 1x, one moderately priced 1x, and the same for the variables. I've ruled out the trijicon because the reticle choices suck (imo), but mainly because Vortex's warranty is far better.
>>
>>29939809

It might be of no consequence to you, but I was stuck between the vortex viper, the strike eagle, and a leupold vxr patrol. I easily could have bought any of them but I liked the strike eagle the best. Their eyeboxes are comparable. I got a mount optic combo off of ADM. whole thing for 430. It's a great deal if you want QD mounts and rezero ability.
>>
>>29939872
How is the clarity on the strike eagle compared to the leupold?
>>
>>29939886

Comparable. The leupold 1-4 was the only one I did not get a chance to use on a range, but I did try a VX-3 which is of the same quality, albeit a 3-9 or something like that. I couldn't tell a functional difference. Also, I've never been happy with leupold's reticle offerings.
>>
>>29938868
user preference
>>
>>29938868
M16A4 build. I like full size rifles.

Eotech w/magnifier vs ACOG

Weight isn't an issue and the cost of both is roughly in the same ball park. I'm on the fence.
>>
>>29938868
Can anyone identify handguard? Wanna get one for my build
>>
>>29940238
ACOG.The Eotech is awesome (I have three, eotech master race) but the magnifier is bulky and stupid and doesnt work great. When you use it it makes the reticle way to bright, and then if you adjust it to where it is right then when you flip the magnifier to the side the reticle isnt bright enough. The ACOG is outdated, but its a good 4x optic and looks great on an m16 build
>>
>>29940466
I agree but part of me wanted you to say Eotech to justify my desire to do some Battlefield 3 campaign larping
>>
>>29939675
have fun with your 4MOA shift
>>
File: elcan sight.jpg (68 KB, 600x409) Image search: [Google]
elcan sight.jpg
68 KB, 600x409
>>29938868
Is there a specific term for the kind of sight that the elcan M-145 is? Non powered shortish-medium range optics. I like them over dot or battery sights a lot.
>>
I like both a 1-6 variable as well as an Aimpoint
paired with a magnifier in a flip/remove mount .

The 1-6 is better for regular day conditions .
For me the Aimpoint is better for night ,bad weather , night vision goggles , and for CQB conditions .
>>
>>29939470
I got the M4s because of the AA battery usage.

It works. I don't know, my only other experience is cheap airsoft red dots so it's pretty cash not having the sun in the lens constantly.
>>
File: 20160110_110439.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160110_110439.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Can't say about the variables or scopes but the strike fire I have from vortex is just damn amazing. Laser bored it to my AK , shoots pretty good and bright enough for outdoors , black etch works also for outdoors and lower setting transfers well from out door to indoor. I don't have the ghosting or spotting from the emitter ones.

Thinking about getting a 1-4x from vortex bUT when I have some more saved then I will do more research.
>>
swfa 1-6 is god tier
>>
>>29939470
Where the fuck are they getting those prices? I just grabbed a Strike Eagle for $280 yesterday... at Cabela's of all places.
>>
>>29938868

red dots are great - fast and light

1-4 or 6 are good - slower and heavier

fixed magnification - obsolete

red dot and magnifier - faggot tier
>>
>>29940540
It's a fixed 3.4 magnification scope.

Variable powered scopes are a meme. With he ACOG you can press the barrel against the wall and see the reticle if you keep both eyes open like a non nig whose read the directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEKbHPLseY
>>
>>29942646
>Variable powered scopes are a meme.

Are you genuinely retarded? Variable magnification scopes have been in widespread use since before you were born.
>>
>>29942668
So has 8mm Mauser. What was the point you were trying to make?

Practically speaking, a fixed 4x ACOG will do everything an Aimpoint will do while being magnified at longer ranges. Your eye will automatically shift to the magnified image when it needs to or will project the reticle at close range.

You'd know this if you actually had experience outside of video games.

Variable powered optics are great for precision rifles with extreme magnification. For the AR-15? They don't offer anything beneficial.
>>
>>29942694
>Practically speaking, a fixed 4x ACOG will do everything an Aimpoint will do while being magnified at longer ranges.
>You'd know this if you actually had experience outside of video games.

The Bindon aiming concept is only a makeshift technique and even Trijicon themselves know it (hence the MRDS atop of the ECOS).
You should get some experience yourself before you start memeing, faggot. With the advent of light, ruggedized low power variable scopes, ACOGs are effectively obsolete.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (460 KB, 708x1415) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
460 KB, 708x1415
>>29942777

I've owned an ACOG, H1, T1, a Vortex 3x LER magnifier and a 1-6x variable glass.
The ones I kept are the T1 and 1-6x.

>hurr middle school vidya noguns meme durrrrr

All this shitposting only serves to show you know how unconvincing your arguments are.
>>
Why no love for the TRijicon MRO?
>>
>>29942694
8mm mauser is still a perfectly viable cartridge famalam.
>>
I've got an acog, more and a 1-6x. I have the a go and mro on QD mounts and just swap them out depending on if I'm doing under or over 25yd shooting that day (because yes, this is for fun, not some fantasy apocalyptic world). The 1-6 sits at home but I might try it again later during a 3-gun competition.
>>
File: image.jpg (556 KB, 2592x889) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
556 KB, 2592x889
>>29943006
Or if I'm feeling particularly retarded...
>>
>>29939052
>>29942646

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnaP8c-bSQ
>>
>>29940466
>When you use it it makes the reticle way to bright, and then if you adjust it to where it is right then when you flip the magnifier to the side the reticle isnt bright enough

Literally never had this problem, wtf. It's also no less "bulky" than a 1-4x optic.
>>
Red Dots are for short to intermediate range shooting. 0 - 300 imo.
>>
>>29938897
Or get a less expensive prismatic scope. I got a good one for 150 bucks. 4x magnification
>>
File: 1462415655102.jpg (20 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
1462415655102.jpg
20 KB, 342x316
>>29939052
Confirmed faggot, 1-4s are extremely useful for mid to long range shooting in comp and in general. Kys
>>
>>29940487

How common is that really? I have 552.65 which I have used eight years and several of my friends used Eotech for years as well - and none of us have noticed the issue yet...
>>
File: 1459360955658.gif (367 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459360955658.gif
367 KB, 320x240
>>29942520
Confirmed non operator
>>
>>29944455
and lets be honest, if you are setting up a AR with a reddot you are doing it for some type of SHTF situation and anything over 300 isnt going to be something you are engaging anyway
>>
>>29944526

Most hunters around here trying to take game past 300m aren't using .223.

Most people I see with low powered variable optics are either hunting coyotes/hogs or competing in 3-gun. Otherwise, it's red dots, red dots every stall.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.