[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did police stop using blackjacks and saps in favor of nightsticks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Leather_Billy_Clubs.jpg (21 KB, 534x251) Image search: [Google]
Leather_Billy_Clubs.jpg
21 KB, 534x251
Why did police stop using blackjacks and saps in favor of nightsticks and batons?
>>
>>29932675
Range.
>>
Explosive decompression.
>>
They are to short and made to hit the head and stunning or incapacitate, that leads to police killing folks.
Night sticks and longer wooden or steel batons are for inflicting pain by hitting legs and arms.
>>
PR, mostly. Although some cops still use them. Better question is why you don't see them recommended more for people who lives in places where they can't get a gun for self defense but has little to no laws regarding these.
>>
>>29932675

Brain Damage
>>
>>29932718
OP here. I live in new york, which would be one of the state's people have a hard time geting a gun in. Blackjacks and saps are illegal by name here along with anything else that could be considered a "bludgeon"
>>
>>29932718
In Germany, where I live, these things are illegal, just like guns. You may own them but they're illegal to carry (or even to transport without a permit to do so).

Germany, where our great nation defends the innocents by making defending yourself from armed criminals illegal
>>
>>29932726
>>29932718
>>29932717
>>29932715
So basically what you're saying is that they were too good at the job.
>>
>>29933030
>too good at the job

No. Too bad. These things are too short to use against anything other than a subject that is already restrained. So their only use is to inflict a beating on someone in custody.

A longer club or baton can be used to subdue a subject. So there is a (legal) reason to carry one.
>>
>>29933030
>hurr durr police should kill all niggers/mexicans/degenerates

fuck off statist pig
>>
>>29933273
I think what he means is that they were too good at their job, as in, they were meant to put someone on their ass. And they did very well. Sometimes permanently.
>>
>>29933170
How are you incapable of hitting someone with it because it's short? Am I not capable of punching someone? There's zero extra reach there.
>>
>>29933319
The advantage of a baton is that I hit you with it outside of the range you can punch me at. You swing, I swing, one of us has to be far closer than the other to connect. Theoretically the person with the baton is safer than the unarmed man. The blackjack gives up this advantage.
>>
>>29933030
Well if their job is making everyone they encounter mentally handicapped, then yes. Do you endorse the idea of rowdy 19 year olds being rendered permanent idiots for the remainder of their lives?
>>
>>29933030
They fell out of favor when police departments were really trying to clean up their public image as lawsuits and claims of police brutality rose

Blackjacks and to a lesser degree saps, had the bad habit of putting dents in skulls and fracturing bones when used improperly but wood batons, an asp with a metal tip or a mag light would cause the same types of injuries if used the wrong way but instead of changing the policy on how they are used they got rid of them entirely

Brass knuckles were popular at the same time but they had the same problem, knuckles, blackjacks, and saps had Gestapo or thuggish connotations that they couldn't escape, just like switchblades being associated with gangsters. However a baton can summon up the image of your friendly neighborhood beat cop of yesteryear

The Rodney King case in the early 90s had a similar effect on pr-24/side handle batons and straight sticks across the country but especially in California at the time, batons nearly went extinct there. That was one of the things that helped collapsible batons become more popular
>>
>>29932675
Just looked them up, I got a hard on until I looked up the laws....

Nevada killed my freedom boner... I don't understand why some of the simplest tools for defense are outlawed... You can't even have a weighted end on a rope (slungshot).
>>
>>29933273
That's some hardcore projecting anon.
>>
>>29933748
In AZ all that shit is legal but possessing nunchucks is a felony.
>>
>>29933849
That's the man, always keeping the ninja turtles down.
>>
File: Firefox_wallpaper(tu160).png (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Firefox_wallpaper(tu160).png
2 MB, 1600x1200
>Police using blackjacks
wait what
>>
>>29933849
>possessing nunchucks is a felony.
That must be a recent change. A dojo I attended sold them, but I left AZ in 2003.
>>
>>29932675

nightsticks and batons are easier for prostate stimulation
>>
>>29934104
>implying blackjacks dont look like a bdsm toy
>>
>>29934028
It's been that way since the 70s or 80s, the foam ones you practice with or toy/novelty ones are not illegal.
>>
>>29934003
Like a hundred years ago
>>
>>29934028
I have some here in LA but I'm not some dumb weeb so I don't carry them just a silly wall piece
>>
>>29933653
This. They were literally beating people into retardation.
>>
Well, my Dad was a cop in the 70's and 80's where the last of the boozy, traumatized old maniacs were cycling through the force.

Blackjacks are very good for intimidating people when you...oh I don't know...have them against a wall and are demanding information from them. The shitrat knows you won't shoot him, but he IS pretty sure you will you will pound on his collarbone with dildo-shaped tube full of powered lead.As police forces professionalized over time that kind of stuff got less common.

I actually have my Dad's and use it as a paperweight and in a pinch a Dindu smacker!
>>
>>29935620
lets see it
>>
>>29933170
> So their only use is to inflict a beating on someone in custody
This is still a legitimate purpose.
>>
>>29933849
>possessing nunchucks is a felony
Someone likely thought the ninja turtles were a real threat.
>>
>>29933849
This is true in new york as well.

I just want to pretend to be Bruce Lee man
>>
>>29933319
Your unlikely to knock someone out or break their bones with a punch: a sap will.
>>29935620
An elestic band & naked testicles works really well too. With the advantage that no-one will admit that was done to them.
>>
>>29934003
>Probe and Drogue
This is a blue board anon!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.