[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR-10 and M1941 LMG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: AR-10 prototypes.jpg (25 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
AR-10 prototypes.jpg
25 KB, 600x432
>be Eugene Stoner
>wants to make babby's first assualt rifle
>takes Johnson LMG
>rechamber it to 7.62×51mm NATO
>flip magazine 90 degrees so it's under the receiver
>slightly change the stock
>make it the finished product a prototype and the basis for future designs which leads to the AR-10, and then to AR-15

Pic related
Top gun is the first AR-10 prototype know as the X01
>>
File: Johnson LMG 1941.jpg (63 KB, 600x267) Image search: [Google]
Johnson LMG 1941.jpg
63 KB, 600x267
Johnson LMG for comparision
>>
File: fdstrip.jpg (52 KB, 985x760) Image search: [Google]
fdstrip.jpg
52 KB, 985x760
>>29921516
That's like saying the AK-47 and the STG-44 are the same because they look a little bit alike. I'm saying you're wrong.
>>
The Johnson is recoil operated, like a big Mac10. The AR10 is gas operated. They have little in common mechanically. The visual similarities are purely because when you are making a gun primarily out of steel/aluminum tubing, there are only so many shapes you can end up with.
>>
>>29921570
>>29921575
Not OP, but I think OP refers to the fact that Stoner indeed took alot of advice from Johnson.
There IS alot of similarities between the Johnson LMG and the X01 prototype. Especially the lower receiver of both, and the buffertube in the stock
I read that this prototype had recoil action, and that DI wasn't implemented untill much later on later prototypes
You can see this on the fact that there's no gasblock on the first prototype
>>
File: 2j3nuc4.jpg (40 KB, 562x439) Image search: [Google]
2j3nuc4.jpg
40 KB, 562x439
>>29921669
Pic related
>>
File: johnson_m1941.jpg (16 KB, 650x248) Image search: [Google]
johnson_m1941.jpg
16 KB, 650x248
OP
this is a better pic for comparison
Front sight is much more similar
>>
>>29921669
Early rifles had the gas tube assembly on the left side.
>>
>>29921575
>The Johnson is recoil operated, like a big Mac10
Nigga what? Recoil operated is in no way related to the straight blowback operation of a Mac 10.
>>
>>29921570
Ak-47 is pretty much an M1 garand
>>
OP is kinda right
Stoner took alot of ideas from Melvin Johnson and his M1941 LMG like the buffertube in the stock, rotating bolt, detatchable upper and lower reciever and whatever you call that direct shoulder line stock with the sights placed higher above the bore
The early AR-10 prototype is basically a direct impingement Johnson LMG rechambered in .308 Winchester, with the magazine well moved under the gun instead

It's probably significantly lighter aswell
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.