[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I clean this canteen /k/? It sat for atleast 7 or 9 month's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1463035331354.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1463035331354.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
How do I clean this canteen /k/? It sat for atleast 7 or 9 month's with half drank water in it. Currently I filled it with water and Palmolive and shook it around, will that do?
>>
Use hot water and two tablespoons of bleach or baking soda. Fill it up and give it a good shake. Let it sit in there for 30 mins or so. After that time has passed, use hot water and dish soap to clean out the baking soda or bleach residue. Keep the top off and air dry.
>>
>>29920171
So I can just use baking soda no bleach?
>>
>>29920533

No, you've got to drink the bleach and then swish around the baking soda.
>>
>>29920131
its a plastic canteen, literally replace it with any water bottle you can find in a trash can
>>
>>29920533
baking soda will work just fine
>>
Wtf is in your water that it made your canteen so dirty that the soap and water soak didn't clean it sufficiently? I have 10 or more of those that I regularly left water in after rucks and shit during training and all any of them needed was a short soak in hot water and dishsoap followed by a rinse out.

I'd be more concerned with the Flint, MI concentrate you're apparently drinking.
>>
>>29920571
mold can grow

its probably not going to kill you but I prefer to drink mold free water myself
>>
>>29920581
My point is what kind of gnarly mold is growing from just water that isn't cleaned out by hot water and Dawn?
>>
>>29920571
I like to leave my canteen half-full of urine so as to deny the enemy should I fall or am forced to abandon them. After about a month various forms of bacteria and mold colonies form.
>>
>>29920590
calm down newbie, it takes less than a week to create a near lethal brew
>>
>>29920586
Black mold grows in water bottles

I find that if a water container has gotten to the point of mold, the only way to get rid of the smell/taste is to do a thorough cleaning. Plus knowing your water container is sterile again after having mold in it is peace of mind.

Just keep your water bottle clean and empty, and none of this is a problem.
>>
>>29920586
Just wash thoroughly with bleach then hot soapy water.
>>
take a shit in it and let it fester
>>
>>29921023
How's he supposed to fit a whole Australian in it?
>>
>>29920560
>literally replace it with any water bottle you can find in a trash can

What if someone peed on it?
>>
>>29920581
Precisely my point
>>
>>29920131
spoonful of bleach, a few BB's or some sand (to scrub out deposits of minerals), the rest is water, boiling hot water. rinse and let sit for a few minutes, and drain out. rinse with more boiling hot water a few more times, then fill with water and one iodizing tablet or just a couple spoonfuls of table salt. rinse one last time. this pretty much sterilizes the inside completely and removes mineral deposits. works for both plastic and aluminum and steel canteens.
>>
>>29921072
i should mention that you are shaking the canteen with the pellets or sand in there for several minutes prior to draining.
>>
>>29921049
That's actually more common than you think.

Shitbags will often use a canteen as a piss bottle.
>>
>>29920640
> something black doing something

Lol wat?

It's that brown mould that's bad
>>
>>29920131
Tap water and hand soap does it, makes the water soapy tasting though
>>
>>29920600

Yeah but I go more than a month.
>>
>>29920131

fill it with acetone and put it in sun so the acetone will evaporate.
>>
>>29920586
Are you retarded?
Fungus or mold can get into the container any time you open it. All it takes is the chance to grow and there ya go.
>>
Scrub first with a bottle brush and Fairy. Then poor boiling water. Let stand for a moment. Poor it out. Poor some pure alcohol in. Let it stand for a while.

No bacteria can survive mechanical wear, 100 C water and alcohol.

All the toxins usually de-naturalize in 100 C. Even botulism. Only thing I would worry if something is stuck inside the bottle. Spores might survive if they are stuck on the sides of the bottle but 100C will kill every bacteria or fungus.
>>
>>29921273
you are supposed to boil water for upwards 3 minutes. pouring boiling water into a plastic container wont even be 10 seconds of boiling, as the water cools instantly

just use a bleach solution steeped for a few hours. dish soap is lipophobic and should help dissolve any bonds a microorganism has established with your plastic.

ill say it again, instead of dressing up pretending to be a soldier, be a real soldier and use whatever container readily available to you, like a plastic bottle. if it has sentimental value, fine

honestly, this is so fucking intuitive that i despise you for making such a spoonfeed trough, and i despise myself for posting in it, and pressing post like im about to do in a few seconds
>>
>>29920131
You guys are really taking water bottle cleaning to extreme ends.
>>
>>29920581
This
>>
I got my grandpa's canteen from Vietnam recently, the thing sat in a box for like 50 years. It was pretty gross and even after I washed it it tastes like milsurp smells.
>>
File: bodily.jpg (41 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
bodily.jpg
41 KB, 500x278
>drinking out of a plastic canteen
>>
>>29921387
What do you think the military issues captain shit stain?
>>
This is not /k/ fuck of to
/ck/
/out/
>>
>>29921317
I sell surplus equipment and ended up with quite a few of these canteens, I'm not trying to pretend to be anything, I have something, I want it to work
>>
>>29922108
Pinesol and salt, swish it around for 5-10 minutes. Rinse, then hit it with some Dr.Bronners. If you can smell pinesol, it aint clean yet.
>>
>>29920131
Just go buy a new one. Canteens are like 2 $.
>>
>>29920560
>its a plastic canteen, literally replace it with any water bottle you can find in a trash can

Is this bait? Or do you actually think all plastics are the same?
>>
>>29922142
old marine
>>
>>29923872
and kys militaria faggot
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.