[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point do you go from "nice and original" to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 600x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 600x283
At what point do you go from "nice and original" to "nicely restored" to "butchered history"?

Would you consider steel whooling the finish off a semi badly rusted gun, then re bluing it "destroyed, restored, or original (as it technically is the original finish, etc)

Same for varnish/shellac/oil. At what point does it stop being a "clean up job" and move into the realm of "now its either going to be restored or butchered"
>>
I bought an SVT-40 and the shellac looked like total ass and was flaking off on the right side, so I stripped that shit off and gave it a couple coats of linseed oil.
>>
>>29915233
Well it depends on what you want. If you want to experiment and try to modernize a gun, i guess its okay.

But you asked for historical value. I believe that using the same finish and wood furniture usually used on the gun is pretty okay. Maybe even something similar in terms of finish, just slightly different. But never modify the core design, like the trigger, action, or barrel length. THEN it is a different gun, and has lost historical value.
>>
In many cases, it depends on the gun. For example, you can get Krag rifles that have been bubba'd for about $300, but a military-spec rifle is closer to $1500. The collectors that pay over $1K for them are totally autistic for the original, pitted blueing.
>>
>>29915233
If you're keeping a gun for your own collection then it doesn't matter. It's whatever makes you happy as the owner.
If you're trying to increase the resale value then it depends on the rarity of the gun and the damage. Anything that has to do with appearance should be left alone. If it's anything extreme such as cancerous rust or completely covered in rust, then in my opinion, it's warranted to do a refinish to original specifications or similar (ie a sanding then re-blue to a factory look). I would not consider your situation "destroyed," but that depends on the gun. If it's a mosin who gives a fuck. If very rare mauser or something hard to come by, then potentially. It all depends on what you want from that gun.

Bottom line is you do whatever you want to your gun that makes you happy. Now if you fuck it up and don't want it anymore then that's on you.
>>
Basically I ask because I am looking to expand a bit and really like the idea of combining my 2 hobbies (wood working and shooting)

Buy something cheap (tons of Nuggets, old Mossbergs and Remington shotguns, etc) for 100-200 bucks, rip it apart, and start rebuilding it as good as "new"

It sounded fun until my friend went off on me about destroying firearms and history and I would do more for the world if I bought new, yet cheap guns to play with (Ruger 10/22 or Maverick shotguns)

It just seems dumb to rip apart and strip a brand new gun that is perfectly fine the way it is. Im looking for more like Bubbas boat gun thats bolt is rusted shut and stock split from trigger to butt
>>
>>29915385
If you're hunting down Bubba's specials to restore them to original configuration, I'm all for that.
>>
A restoration implies that it adheres to the original as close as possible. Resale value is impacted even by restoration attempts. Some guns that are badly damaged or bubba'd and have had value affected anyway could benefit form a restoration, even in value as well.

Any changes, as "tasteful" as they may be, or technically butched history.

Clean up is just that, cleaning it without any changes.

I personally redo stuff that has already been molested, but I don't touch anything unless it is severally damaged and affects functionality.
>>
>>29915385
Buy gunsmith specials or just build guns off parts then.

There actually is a case for "muh history" for nuggets now, since they have increased in price and their availability has decreased quite a bit. Something has happened to almost every other surplus guns. If you can find a bubba though, and there are plenty, go right ahead.
>>
>>29915233
good thing a mosin nagant is the exact opposite of historically significant. you can do whatever you want with it.

and im not sure how you figure that steel wool and rebluing is somehow still the original finish. that counts as restored since it is not the original finish.
>>
>>29915964
This anon's onto something. Your friend can't sperg about you altering an """"historic""""" gun when the gun has already been ruined? Also, bubba's means cheaper initial buy. Sometimes.
>>
>>29916036
This. If you touch the finish, even if it is rustier than a fudds truck, it loses all historical value. At that point it's value is solely how well it shoots and looks. So basically just like any other custom gun.

So like a Russian capture k98 that is beat to shit, go ahead and clean up. You'll probably add a little value. A Johnson? Don't even touch it if you plan on redoing it.
>>
If it's rare, has some history behind it that you know (i.e. confirmed kills) or is just really old or not in working condition, I personally wouldn't fuck with it.
>>
You can honestly look at it the same way you do classic cars like
>survivor
>restoration
>resto-mod
>vague semblance of body shape with 95% new Fab ridiculousness etc.

I'm personally OK with non permanent modification and well executed customs.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.