[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about joining the military. College isn't working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: val.jpg (18 KB, 600x301) Image search: [Google]
val.jpg
18 KB, 600x301
Thinking about joining the military.
College isn't working out. Not dumb. Long story.
Minimal experience with firearms. Shot a .22 rifle at a camp and shot my grandpas 9mm.
Was a swimmer in high school, slightly out of shape now.
Could you guys give me pros/cons of each or share experiences.
Thanks
>>
>>29909574
American btw
>>
catalog search: /MEG/

enjoy at least 3 years of crippling depression and development of habits purely counterproductive to civilian success unless you go airforce.
>>
>>29909574
Do you want a radically life changing experience?
>>
>>29909586
Yeah. Think my family is fed up with me.
Better if I leave.
>>
File: 1428269564472.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1428269564472.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>the military will surely save my life! I'm a shoe-in because I shot a .22 once!

I joined because I was in a hard time of my life, but then again, I'm not a criminal nor am I a cowadoody nerd.

If you're joining to escape something, you won't escape it. If you're joining to find something, you won't find it. It's just another job. A very good job, imo, but just a job nonetheless.
>>
>>29909598
First things first, the military is very very different depending on the branch you join, whether you become a WOG or combat arms, and whether you go infantry.
>>
File: 1459751251441.jpg (129 KB, 350x287) Image search: [Google]
1459751251441.jpg
129 KB, 350x287
>>29909607
This. I joined the navy because - don't laugh - I thought it would make me a more responsible, productive human being. Now I'm the same motherfucker I was before, but with four years shaved off of my life
>>
File: sharkpilots.png (230 KB, 800x766) Image search: [Google]
sharkpilots.png
230 KB, 800x766
>>29909622
I'm the opposite, desu. I joined because I needed a job, but was already a responsible-ish person with the drive to be productive.

Unsurprisingly, I haven't been fired yet and all of my PDRs have been pretty good. Can't say the same for a lot of people I saw on basic, though.

>>29909608
>f-fucking support staff, wah wah le pogues!!!
t. civilian who bought a UHF radio at the dollar store and fancies himself an "operator"
>>
>>29909664
>fired

>>29909608
This is accurate. Some MOS are basically welfare- welfare that you have to "work" your ass off for. One that comes to mind is the air defense branch in the army. If you want the thrill of killing people while being in grave danger yourself maybe go infantry. Both paths you'll meet plenty of cunts and make good friends. If you fancy yourself quick witted and good or decent with people (and capable of enduring the physical demand) you can always drop a special forces packet regardless of your MOS.
>>
>>29909723
>>fired
That's what it is. You don't get "discharged". That is pansy bullshit for people who don't want to face the truth of what happened -- you get FUCKKEN FIRED.

Actually, in my group of buddies, we call it "VR'd". Beacause no one ever REALLY gets fir-- er, discharged. You are just told very strongly to get the fuck out. The gag penalty for things isn't that you'll get discharged, but forcibly "voluntary released", since like 99% of military people up here end their careers that way, trouble or not.
>>
>>29909742
I don't know man I just think the word discharged effectively describes it, is it too big for your vocabulary?
>>
>>29909664
Keep POGing it up, I'll be over here blowing shit up if you need me.

>>29909723
You must be fucking Navy or something
>>
>>29909755
"Discharged" is a word for yokels who are too proud to admit when they've been fired from a job they never deserved. It's like "let go" or "laid off" -- it's bigger than it sounds, for someone who's smaller than they look.
>>
>>29909763
>Keep POGing it up, I'll be over here blowing shit up if you need me.
My first choice was actually bos'n, but they slotted me into comms. It's pretty gr8. I respect infantry and bos'n a lot, honestly; it's arfcom mallninjas who i simply cannot stop talking shit at despite being a welfare queen
>>
>>29909766
Discharged is in reference to separation from service, it is accompanied by what type- honorable, dishonorable, or other than. If someone gets kicked out for failure to adapt then I see where you're coming from
>>
>>29909763
Nope I was army. The worst people always stayed in and reenlisted. The ones who were OK with life as a shitty enlisted soldier, kissing ass for a bump up in pay every few years. The 9 year corporals with the fat wife and ugly kids. The ones afraid of real life and how they won't fit in just like high school. The "there's no jobs out there!" Guys. The army is a shit job. Maybe you think wasting 99% of your life to literally just sit there and wait for the joy of blowing stuff up on occasion is worth your time but I don't.
>>
>>29909574
Try US border patrol, coast guard, customs service, or DEA. You get to play with guns, live in the states, and you'll spend your days actually doing something instead of training/jerking off on post.
>>
>>29909607
>If you're joining to find something, you won't find it.
What if you're joining to find a job? Seems to me you'll have found it.

>>29909607
>>29909622
Like just about everything, it's largely what you make of it.
>>
>>29910746
>DEA
>border patrol
>Doing something.
Yeah, no. Nothing ad
>>
>>29909574
Just learn a trade man, the military sucks and is mostly a waste of time. The military will train you for years at a job that will not get you a dime when you leave, ruin your knees and back, and give you stupid autistic habits.

Go to a local tech school and get certified as a diesel/automotive mechanic, hvac technician, lpn or something. Its like 1 year of school for a trade job you can do your entire working life.

T. Veteran
>>
>>29909607
what if you want to join so you can kill dirty desert dwellers
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.