[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/ i come to you with a question. I just inherited pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 13669097_1.jpg (12 KB, 800x189) Image search: [Google]
13669097_1.jpg
12 KB, 800x189
Hello /k/ i come to you with a question. I just inherited pic related (its a Nikko evb712 12g under/over), however i have never owned a shotgun before and am not sure how to use it if i want to take it hunting. Does it need chokes to fire both buckshot and/or slugs? Everywhere i look to try find information i come up short so i thought maybe the /k/ommandos can help me.
>>
I'm not familiar with this exact shotgun. However it's pretty easy to find out. You could break it open make sure it's unloaded look up the barrels thru the breach towards a light source and see if there's a small edge inside the barrel.

Or stuck your finger in the muzzle and feel for the edge/or threads.
>>
Or post a pic of the muzzle close up and I can tell you
>>
If the barrel is rifled, you shoot slugs. The barrel is most likely not rifled, but you should check. Do this by looking down it from the receiver end with a light; is it smooth, or are there circular grooves?

If the barrel is not rifled, and is smooth, you shoot buckshot. You can mess around with chokes or you can not; chokes are more for bird loads with lots of pellets.
>>
File: 20160509_194128.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160509_194128.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>29888415
Here's the best pic i could get. Also should have mentioned that this shotgun is fairly similiar if not the exact same as the winchester 101 shotgun
>>
File: 20160509_194135.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160509_194135.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>29888415
Andd the top barrel
>>
you use chokes to modify the spread size of the shot
if if its a fixed choke barrel or you only have 1 choke size its fine just shoot the gun
it patterns how it patterns if you arent satisfied replace the chokes
as for slugs as long as the chokes are installed properly you will have no problems shooting slugs
however if they are loose or not installed you risk damaging the barrels
>>
Op here, the photos make the barrel look rifled however it is smooth the whole length of the barrel and there doesn't seem to be any chokes fitted. So this means that slugs are out of the question for shooting and i should stick to buckshot?
>>
>>29888439
Is it the light in the pic playing tricks, or is that a rifled barrel? If it is that's your slug barrel. You can fire shot out of it however your spread will look like a big "O" circle pattern. Also it's hard to tell but I don't see any choke key groves on the end of your barrel so chances are you don't have a choke in there.
>>
>>29888472
No you can get a variety of slugs. Sabot slugs are fine. And they even make rifled slugs for smothe bore. There are slugs for rifeled barrels only just avoid those
>>
>>29888487
The light is most definitely playing tricks, as i mentioned in the above post the barrel seems to be smooth the whole way through.

>>29888500
Cheers mate will see if my lgs stock anything for it. Might even take it in for them to have a look at but not to confident in their ability desu
>>
>>29888472
you should be fine to fire slugs
keep in mind that rifled slugs are for smoothbores and sabot slugs are for rifled barrels

you can fire saboted slugs through a smoothbore safely but you dont get any of the accuracy benefit from the sabot they cost more the effect is wasted
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.