[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://burnnotice.wikia.com/wiki/Sp y_Wisdom Are these true?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: burn_notice.jpg (32 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
burn_notice.jpg
32 KB, 400x225
http://burnnotice.wikia.com/wiki/Spy_Wisdom
Are these true?
What parts aren't quite true, if any?
>>
"When you're being watched, what you need is contrast: A background that will make the surveillance stand out. "
Take that for example. That's true, except of course to apply it yourself is more for situational awareness.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/02/05/how-to-develop-the-situational-awareness-of-jason-bourne/

"The Orient step provides three things to help us achieve situational awareness: 1) baselines and anomalies for our particular environment, 2) mental models of human behavior we should look for, and 3) plans of action depending on our observations.

Establish a Baseline Wherever You Go"
>>
"Need to go some place you're not wanted? Any uniform store will sell you a messenger outfit And any messenger can get past a security desk."

https://youtu.be/yGIHjTmTFfA?t=23m29s
Skip to 23:29
Basically this means that with bad physical security, a set of clothes can help you get into a building. Be it maintenence, IT, janitors etc.

Here's a DEFCON talk on physical security.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNymzyEWPQ

To apply this to your life, perhaps some words from Massad Ayoob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGe_G3HDKFQ

Electronic Security systems are now affordable for almost any person. Get them.
>>
>>28263367
Don't take advice from shows that portray teacupping
>>
>>28263503
Defcon is a pretty great learning source for a ton of different fields.
>>
>>28266446
Everyone /k/ommando should have watched this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1q4Ir2J8P8. It is a nice simple intro into the idea of opsec.
>>
>>28266510
>>28263503
Nice links, thanks anon(s).
>>
As an of agent of roughly the same clearance as Michael, I was always amazed at the accuracy of the tactics portrayed in Burn Notice. It is logical that they must have contracted a high level agent as advisor.
>>
>>28266619
Np, I have attended defcon since I was 18 and have learned many skills from it. I am not a really big hacker, infact I can't code for shit. If you ever get the chance you should definitely go to defcon.
>>
>>28263367
I don't know but Jeffery sure is pretty fuckin dreamy though.
>>
>>28266446
Yeah. A lot of DEFCON talks are really great. I'd like to go to DEFCON, but the thought of getting photographed by the FBI while I'm there deters me a bit.
>>
>>28264193
They did get better in the last couple seasons.
>>
>>28266696
Sure, Sure.
>>
>>28266819
>>28266793
Yeah, defcon and similar "hacking"/technology conferences like the C3 in Germany are great to learn stuff and get informed. I always watch the VoD afterwards, since my friend was there last year and said it wasn't that great due to overcrowding
>>
>>28266819
The F.B.I is not photographing everyone at defcon, last year they had 16000 people attend. Though if you are going to Defcon do not use the public wifi, either tether or use a secure vpn. Wear a hat and keep your head down. Do your research, it is definitely worth it.
>>
>>28266874
I would love to be able to go to C3 but I am a poor fag.
>>
>>28266898
Also, for the love of god get some sort of rfid blocking wallet.
>>
>>28266898
http://gizmodo.com/the-fbi-just-finished-its-insane-new-facial-recognition-1634851705
>>
>>28263367
Some of this is a bit dated, but then, so is your sister.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Spys-Guide-office-Espionage/dp/B0007QS6OO
>>
File: 600px-Sicario-G36C-1.jpg (43 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
600px-Sicario-G36C-1.jpg
43 KB, 600x255
>>28263367
>>
>>28267508
and that does not matter as long as you were a hat and maintain spacial awareness, If you really want, get an Ir led hat.
Not that it really matters because gizmodo is trash and I highly doubt it works half as well as they say it works. Not
just that but to do that live for even 1000 people the computing power would need to be insane, The real use of this would
be in airport security where people form nice single file lines and are stopped in one place for a long period of time. Remove your tin foil hat.
>>
>>28268017
Facebook is implementing mass facial recognition that will automatically scan photos so they can be tagged with the names of the people in those photos. Facial recognition for the purpose of building up records doesn't need to be done on the spot. They can just set up a few high quality cameras to snap pictures of people all day so that their computers can go through them at a later date.
I doubt they're doing this, but it is a legitimate concern.
>>
>>28268017
Also, there are many steps and ways that you can take to avoid and block facial recognition. https://www.cvdazzle.com/ is my favorite, because it is basically cyberpunk face paint. Hell I should write a book on avoiding modern surveillance and profit since it is not that difficult to understand.
>>
>>28268081
>Having a Facebook
You already lost your right to privacy. Also cool they can build all the records they want, but If I'm going to be committing a crime my face is not going to be available to be matched with the records. Also The current estimate is that facial recognition is ~60 % accurate, getting nearer to 70% though.
Also The reason why face book can do that is that those people are willingly sharing there faces and they are completely exposed. All records go to shit
when you can not actually see the face.
>>
>>28263503
Or just wear a collared shirt tucked into slacks while carrying a leather bound folder with a normal folder on top and request to deliver them personally
>>
>>28268105
Who would've guessed all that crazy hair and stupid face paint would end up real someday.
>>
>>28268144
I was just highlighting the issue with the actual collection of data. I was pointing out that it's totally feasible for a well funded organization (like the feds) to scan thousands or even millions of images and run facial recognition on those images, so you can't expect that it won't be done if they feel like doing it.

> but If I'm going to be committing a crime my face is not going to be available to be matched with the records
Well that's the thing, a lot of the people going to DEFCON have done criminal shit in the past or have connections to those who have. It is very possible that some of the attendees have already been targeted by the feds, maybe without their knowledge. I'm just saying you should consider the possibility if you have any reason to believe that you might be a person of interest.

>Also The reason why face book can do that is that those people are willingly sharing there faces and they are completely exposed
You can't exactly walk around with a disguise on. Not even at DEFCON. You can do some stuff to obscure your face a bit, but you're just making things more difficult, not necessarily impossible.

> ~60 % accurate, getting nearer to 70% though.
This is true, but it brings up another issue. The feds know that their capabilities are limited, which is exactly why they hoard data like crazy. The idea is to retain stuff so it can be analyzed down the line when they acquire better tools.
>>
>>28268017
IR hats are bullshit, it's doesn't look like that. Also if you showed up on a police state camera looking like that you'd jump to the top of the person of interest list.
>>
"Sometimes, the truth hurts. In these situations, I recommend lying."

not really... you lie when you don't want to give somebody information, but need to save face with that person instead of just saying "fuck off nunya business"

a good investigator should have developed their socials skills to the point where they can tactfully tell somebody a hard truth while hurting their feelings as little as possible
>>
File: look3-md.jpg (35 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
look3-md.jpg
35 KB, 340x340
>>28268017
They would need to do it live. They can take pictures and process them later.

>>28268105
That face camo looks kinda cool. I hope that becomes popular ...
>>
>>28268520
*wouldn't need to do it live
derp
>>
>>28268477
If you're a good lair then you should lie when it benefits you. If you get nervous and crack a shit eating grin then you should keep your mouth shut or give as little of the truth as is necessary to get you out of that situation.
>>
File: large.jpg (128 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
128 KB, 500x636
>>28268520
>hacker fashion 2020
>>
>Sprinkle a mixture of flour and day-glo powder on your floor before you go out, and you'll know whether you've had any visitors and what they were after.
Reminds me of keypad spying techniques like wiping the pad clean and looking for finger oil after, or putting a tiny layer of glue on the pads and seeing which have glue fingerprints.

>You can turn an old TV into an oscilloscope with about a hundred and fifty dollars worth of hardware
Just buy a used real one that doesn't suck for like $200, c'mon man. Was he trapped somewhere and needed an emergency oscilloscope?

>The optical bug is a high-tech toy that shoots a light beam at a window, picks up vibrations from the glass, and translates it into speech. Can't see the beam with the naked eye, but take the infrared filter off a digital camera and it shows up nicely. As high-tech as a laser mic is, they're not hard to defeat; they pick up vibrations on the glass, so you supply your own vibrations.
Laser mics are cool as hell and super cheap nowadays. The difficult part is finding a spot where you can lase and receive the bounced beam. Curtains and whatnot can obstruct sound waves before they hit windows. Speakers can put in false sounds into the glass.

>The longer you run from the police, the more certain you are to get caught. There's a small window of time after a chase begins before backup arrives, before helicopters are deployed. If you want any chance of getting away, you'd best use this time to find someplace secluded...and bail out.
Sounds about right. Once backup is there, you're fucked
>>
>>28264193
that's just the actor's inability to shoot a gun. iirc, they got some ex spy dude named Michael Wilson to give them information about spy shit.
>>
>>28269147
>Michael Wilson
I see what they did there.
>>
>>28268565
To get good at lying, lie a lot. Bullshit things where it doesn't matter like when the coffee girl ask your name or when a coworker you don't give a shit about ask what you did this weekend.

Little pointless lies that you have to remember and keep right in your head. Practice makes perfect.
>>
>Most people think snipers like to shoot from ledges. The fact is, the best sniper position is in an open room, through an open window. It hides the shooter, masks the rapport of a super-sonic round, and makes the muzzle flash impossible to see.
True as can be. We've been seeing a lot of muzzles poking out of windows in the middle east. Terrible mistake.
>>
>>28263503
>Massad
fuck that guy, and you too
>>
File: isthisguyretarded.jpg (50 KB, 570x760) Image search: [Google]
isthisguyretarded.jpg
50 KB, 570x760
>>28266696
>As an agent of roughly the same clearance as Michael

What, do you also have three hundred confirmed kills?
>>
>>28271265
The fuck Ayoob do to get you so rustled about him?
>>
>>28271265
Nogunz who has no idea what's he's saying or why detected. You cannot and won't come up with one logical reason why he should go fuck himself, probably don't even know who he is. Dude has been fighting fuddlore for longer than you've been nogunz.
>>
File: warrant for pol.jpg (58 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
warrant for pol.jpg
58 KB, 537x720
>>28271265
Listen you little /pol/ish genetic-aberration he's not a kike, he's not a dual citizen he's American and his parents are actual Semites so go back to jerking off to Trump shills and shit posting about that nigger knocking tripfag.
>>
>>28267769
He didn't get enough screen time in that movie.
>>
>>28269991

Yep. Remeber a story about that; a British sniper that knocked off a German sniper. The German always aimed and fired from the back of the room, the Brit only nailed him when he stepped to the window with binoculars to check his marksmanship.

Same concept as keyholing with tanks - if you can see, you can be seen. Limit who can see you to those already under your sights.
>>
>>28273083
>keyholing with tanks
I see this kind of shit all the time in vidya, some idiot pulls up out of an alley just far enough to get a wide angle of view in a tank and immediately gets shat on from eight different directions
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.