[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are mortars still relevant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: with love.jpg (156 KB, 913x1000) Image search: [Google]
with love.jpg
156 KB, 913x1000
Beside the first uses of mortars in Afghanistan, I haven't heard much more news regarding mortars.

Is the technology already perfected or what is the cause of this?
>>
What sort of news are you expecting regarding mortars?
>>
>>29841878
they can be aimed with ipads now
trajectory tables for different angles and charges are kept on-board
and the tilt sensors on a spirit levelled ipad input part of the needed data wile its screen provides a visual overlay of the other known data points
>>
>>29841878
theyre used intensively in the current mid east/north africa regional conflicts

if korea/best korea ever pops off theyll be a giant factor in casualty figures.

queen of mothafuckin battle
>>
>>29841878
Uh, dude. Mortars are like the number one fire support in the 2000's used by both sides from insurgents to US forces.

They are used a lot when you can't call in an airstrike and is more likely to be used than artillery or tank cannons
>>
>>29841878
Shit, in Iraq the hadji's would mortar us all day but try to do from random locations by moving around by truck...eventually our mathematicians track or predict where they are next and our mortars counter strike them.
>>
File: 060.jpg (407 KB, 1970x1025) Image search: [Google]
060.jpg
407 KB, 1970x1025
>>29841878
What? 120mm mortar shell offers comparable blast fragmentation as 155mm howitzer shell while having comparable range of 105mm howitzers. Bonus point that it is about 4 to 10 times lighter (and that's with the back plate) than the lightest 105mm howitzer, so you could carry more of them

Then there's the 81mm mortar (which is attached to a battalion) and 60mm mortar (platoon) which is even lighter and yet could still wreck shit up. Pretty useful in any terrain and they can be disassembled and carried by grunts (backplate, barrel, bipod/tripod and the munition itself). Plenty devastating against non-state actors
>>
File: 95hcZse.jpg (99 KB, 721x530) Image search: [Google]
95hcZse.jpg
99 KB, 721x530
Mortar munition have also evolved over the last 40 years.
>>
>>29842714
>counter strike them
>not cbf

Confirmed stolen valor faggot.
>>
>>29842900
>backplate
BASEplate you non-qualled fuck.
>>
>>29842971
Yes a baseplate. I was typing with my ass to realize such careless mistake
>>
>his country doesn't use based AMOS
>>
File: amos_l3.jpg (232 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
amos_l3.jpg
232 KB, 1024x685
>>29841878
>>
Light, rapidly deployable, relatively long range artillery that any shitdick who scored 18 on the ASVAB can lug into battle and operate.
>>
>>29841878

On the contrary, it seems that the exact same mortar becomes more dangerous as newer ammunition is invented, as opposed to less dangerous.
>>
In most countries mortars have replaced light guns.
The range of the 82mm is comparable to light 105 with much less weight and crew.
Just arms the 40mm has replaced the 60mm motets in infantry companies. Lighter, same range, same effect.

When you add the course correcting fuse to an 82 or 120, the benignity over light guns is even more profound.
>>
Howitzers are only really relevant in a serious war where the greater range they provide matters.
>>
>>29841878
Why the hell WOULDN'T mortars still be relevant? They provide a hell of a lot of boom, complementary effects of their indirect fire nature, all while being portable enough that they're attached to light and tactical level units. A good portion of the SBCT's utility is that it has two 120mm mortars in every infantry company.
>>
>>29844857
That's just blatantly wrong. Howitzers are just as relevant, if not moreso, in COIN. Remember the firebases of Vietnam?
>>
>>29842121
The same kind of buzz and big headlines that other kind of hardware gets, specially if things like >>29842706 >>29842275 these anons says are true.
>>
>>29845068
It's not as fancy as other gear. It isn't seen as glamorous like a rifle, a tank, or an airplane is. Further, to understand its usage, one has to know a bit more than just looking at a movie. Because of all this, in the popular eye mortars get overlooked. However, there have been some neat advances in mortars. Guided rounds are now available for 120mm mortars. These are massive increases in firepower. While expensive, they're one hell of a way to end a fight, and could likely take out an armored vehicle if it hit it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM395_Precision_Guided_Mortar_Munition
>>
>>29845054
Lets not bring up practices from a lost war as if they were a good idea
>>
>>29845140
This is bait.
>>
I either wanted to do mortars or aerial gunnary in the military but then I got a full ride to a decent uni
Kinda wish I said fuk skool and went in before because now its pretty much peace time
>>
>>29845049
This anon has a good point. An HE round out of a 120mm mortar has a ~75 meter blast radius. RADIUS. That's insane. And a Stryker Company has two tubes with 48 rounds apiece. That's not something you can take lightly.
>>
>>29845140
I'm really, genuinely triggered by this.
>>
File: Syrian Seven Hells.webm (749 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Syrian Seven Hells.webm
749 KB, 1280x720
My penis launches mortars.
>>
>>29847758
I was too, anon. I was too. We have to resist and never give in, that's what he wants.
>>
>>29847771
>21st century nebelwerfer

My fucking dick.
>>
>>29845159
>>29847758
mortarfags are the next gliderfags
>>
>>29847806
That's not how that works...
>>
>>29841878
There's only so much you can do to improve a metal tube.
>>
>>29847771
The nebelwerfers retarded islamic cousin.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
Bump because I just enlisted as 11c
>>
>>29845068

There are plenty of advances in mortar tech, it's just not as interesting or sexy as a new plane, tank, or rifle, so it doesn't get a lot of press.
>>
>>29847914

No you didn't. You enlisted as an 11x and might end up as a c.

Unless the infantry branch completely changed in the last two years.
>>
>>29841878
I'm just gonna leave this here...
>>
Could they make guided anti-tank mortar shells for fucking up top armor?
>>
>>29847987

I'm pretty sure prototypes for that have kicked around, but they ended up just being too niche of a use for the cost.
>>
>>29847997
I guess we don't do as much tank-killing as we'd like to these days.
>>
>>29841878
Mortar and Artillery are pretty relevant in certain parts of the world. The month and a day old Nagoroh-Karabahk border clash had a heavy use of artillery amd mortar. Literally WWI tier of entrenchment in the lines with the application of tanks, drones and air superiority
>>
>>29841878

Man portable indirect fire support weapons will continue to be ubiquitous in warfare probably until the next major shift in the mold of the invention of gunpowder.

The ability to shoot and scoot an 81mm explosive 5000m and then just pick it up and run away is too powerful a tool for them to ever become irrelevant.
>>
>>29845187
Are there still such thing as modern artillery officers?
>>
>>29848035
Where there are soldiers there will always be some overpaid under qualified asshole telling them what to do, or a genuinely good officer.
>>
>>29845068
>Media buzz
>Indirect fire weaponry
Pick one. Indirect fire is decidedly unsexy.
>>
>>29848103
>See that guy? No you don't, he's on the other side of a hill. You can still fuck him up and everyone around him from her
>unsexy
>>
>>29845068
>If it's not being force fed to me by buzzfeed-tier media then it's clearly not used anymore

Fucking Christ, absolutely disgusting
>>
>>29848134
Yeah I don't understand it either. I guess magic is just too exciting for the mundane mind.
>>
>>29848134
It's a handful of dudes squatting around a four foot long tube. The layman doesn't give a shit.

When's the last time you've seen a movie or video game centering around a mortar team or artillery crew? It's sof/rifleman-team this or tank-crew that.
>>
>>29848207
The Pacific followed a mortar crew for a good portion of the series.
>>
>>29848637
And that only worked because the focus was much more on the effects on the characters than on the combat itself. The combat scenes were filled by other perspectives, mostly.
>>
>>29847987
Well there allready is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_mortar_round
>>
>>29841878
Mortars are one of the best pieces of kit available to an infantry platoon.
>>
>>29847960
No I enlisted as 11c. I'm in the Guard
>>
File: Weisel mortar.jpg (362 KB, 1600x1155) Image search: [Google]
Weisel mortar.jpg
362 KB, 1600x1155
>>
>>
>>29848207
theres a really good chinese movie following a artillery battalion. one of the only movies i have seen where the americans are the bad guys.
>>
>>29841878
Could they make full auto mortars?

I know there was like a soviet artillery piece that had an autoloading magazine and rapid rate of fire.
>>
>>29850262
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4bJspzVAY

2S4 240mm SP Mortar, aka "Hell's Bells."
>>
>>29841878
>dat girlish scream

https://youtu.be/NQWyzk-N6ro?t=16
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.