[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is .460 Rowland legit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: compensated1911_main2.jpg (139 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
compensated1911_main2.jpg
139 KB, 618x618
For $300 you can apparently convert your 1911 to fire a special snowflake cartridge that is similar to .44 magnum while retaining the ability to fire .45 ACP. Is this a good idea, or is it a waste of money that can kill your gun? Pic related.
>>
>>29840092
I've seen enough blown up 1911's to know 460 Rowland shouldn't be a "convert to" caliber.
>>
>>29840107

>I don't know shit about shit, but here's what I think
>>
>>29840123
So it doesn't explode guns?
>>
>>29840092
If you have a good quality 1911 then yes you can.

Keep in mind that .460 Rowland is much higher pressure than .45 auto, so it's a lot of stress on the gun.
>>
>>29840123
>I know everything about everything, so I'm a cunt 24/7
>>
>>29840107
No you haven't.
>>
it's almost double the pressure of .45 ACP, in a gun designed to withstand the pressure of .45 ACP. no thanks.
>>
>>29840274
40,000 PSI
>>
>>29840092
460 Rowland is as overpressured as your incessant creation of these threads.

Also, the pressure is prone to fucking the brass, limited reloadability, which sucks in a snowflake.
>>
>>29840315
My what? I literally just learned about this shit today while watching random gun vids on youtube.
>>
I bought one a few years ago.

It supposedly tames the .460 Rowland recoil by utilizing a 24lb recoil spring and a compensator.

Here is the problem, the recoil spring on a 1911 was designed to return the slide to battery it was not designed to protect the frame. That being said, when you increase rearward slide velocity it DOES help protect the frame from the rearward motion but does nothing to protect the frame from the slide returning to battery with 24lbs of force as opposed to the 16lbs it was designed for.

Secondly the compensator DOES greatly reduce pressures inside the chamber and assist in slowing down rearward velocity. If you have a good compensator on a 1911 you need to substantially drop the recoil spring weight in order to ensure it cycles properly.

Another way to reduce the speed of the slide in rearward travel is to put in a heavier mainspring. This is probably the best way to slow rearward travel but it increase trigger pull weight.

Either way, you will have increased wear on your pistol and it will be regulated to low round counts until something inevitable breaks. On mine, I noticed peening around the slide stop hole on the frame and the slide stop was bent.

In short, it works but it will prematurely wear your gun.

Buy a beater 1911, try it out and when you beat your 1911 to shit convert it back to .45ACP and sell it to some redneck dufus who hates negroes.
>>
>>29840274
>gun designed to withstand the pressure of .45 ACP
Are you retarded? You obviously have no idea how guns are proofed.

It is PROOFED for .45 ACP. It should be designed to withstand I believe double the pressure of .45 ACP.

So it could probably withstant .460 Rowland, but it isn't proofed for it.
>>
>>29840347
This is Rowland thread six, in about as many days. It may as well be the same thread every time.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>29840274
While you're still technically incorrect, I, >>29840368, checked wikipedia and turns out it is probably a bad idea, like you said.

>There are two key elements to the .460 Rowland concept. The first is a sharp increase in cartridge maximum pressure over the .45 ACP and .45 Super. Maximum Average Pressure is: 45 ACP (21,000 PSI), .45 ACP +P (23,000 PSI), .45 Super (28,000 PSI), .460 Rowland (40,000 PSI).
>>
>>29840368
>Are you retarded? You obviously have no idea how guns are proofed.
when they're proofed it's usually with around 30% overpressure and that safety margin is included in the whole "designed for the pressure of .45 ACP" thing. I never said a gun will explode if you exceed the specified maximum pressure by a single psi. but when you just double the pressure because you can and it didn't blow your hand off with the first mag dump it's still a really bad idea.
>>
>>29840399
First time I've heard of it.
>>
>>29840092
I really hate posting, but you dragged me out. I've shot Rowlands. Here is my review, and what I have seen from multiple people.

Most people who use Rowland bust it out for shits and giggles. There are a few people who are hardcore "I need more stopping power in my single stack." So, its mostly for funsies. And it is fun.

It goes real fast and is real loud.

Your gun will not break as long as you do these few things:

-Don't have a shit gun with shit metallurgy. Most 1911s can get away with being made of what is essentially powdered metal pressed into a shape with a little heat. that's not accurate, but if you see a frame that broke and the granulated metal, you will agree with the description of the appearance. While that is all most 1911s need, many are better than that. For standing up to a Rowland you will need one that is made from milled high quality steel, or oddly enough, a good polymer. Yes. Polymer. Fuck everyone. (check out a polymer single stack sometime, pretty nice)

-Now that your gun is not made of shit, you probably paid around 380-580 dollars. ok. cool. If you spent more, neat.

-Make sure your gun is well maintained, lubricated, and dont fucking magdump super fast. Going back to metallurgy; Rowlands contain a lot of energy, and a lot of waste heat. Transfer that to your gun too fast, and the metal gets hot, expands, looses tolerance, gets ever so slightly softer, and you continue transferring the mechanical force of the slide fucking the frame and now you have a problem. like a slide in your face. Same goes for Polymer.

These tolerances are fucking impossible for a human to tell, but thankfully, a gun is not human, treat it better than one.

Ok. Fuck. Its been done. Fuck everyone who has an opinion but no experience. And yes, I have seen a +P+ ammo spitting gun break before, because it was cheap, because it was using hand load that was basically a proofing bullet, and because it was being magdumped for big dumb fireballs.
>>
>>29840092
Starline's .460 Rowland brass is thinner than its .45 Super brass. How the fuck does it stand up to more pressure? Is the heat treatment that much better? Is the brass composition different?
>>
>>29841291
XD45 sacrificial masterrace

>>29842084
Apparently .45super/.450smc and .460 brass are just kinda extra insurance but not 100% necessary so long as the chamber is fully supported and the the ammo is loaded properly and the timing is on. You can make all of em with .308 fwiw.
>>
>>29842147
Trimming and reaming it is a pain in the ass, though. If that's the case, then I'd just use .45 super and make sure to mark my shit well.
>>
>>29840092
If your 1911 is of quality manufacturing and metallurgy(slide fit well to the frame mainly) then it can handle 460 rowland ,with proper gunsmithing work, no problem.
I have personally fit a .460 rowland barrel to my glock 21 and have found that even after i welded up both loose breech and fit the barrel to the locking block it developes loose breech much faster than normal. I fit the barrel until it had about 3 thou loose breech and now it has around 5 that may not seem like a lot but since i've fit it i've only shot 100 rounds through it. Other than the loose breech i have noticed no other accelerated wear on the pistol and mine doesn't even have a comp because it was a lone wolf barrel and no threaded pistols in cali.

In conclusion i would highly recommend to have a gunsmith fit the barrel to your gun and make sure that the gun locks off of the cam rather than the link. this will ensure loose breech develops much more slowly and your link and slide wear less. also the pressure of the round really isn't a concern. there is enough material to safely contain even over loaded 460 rowlands.
>>
File: 1377255741009.jpg (77 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1377255741009.jpg
77 KB, 480x640
>not wanting a mk23 in 460 Rowland
>>
>>29844302
I want a UMP460. A man can dream can't he?
>>
>>29840653
Just how fucking retarded are you people?
Part of the conversion is a new barell designed to fire the cartridge.
Who gives a fuck what the pressure diference is? You are no longer using the 45 chamber.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160505-051744.png (326 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160505-051744.png
326 KB, 1440x2560
>Dat energy tho
>>
>>29840363
Hmm, guess just buying a Wilson Tactical gun made specifically to fire the .460 Rowland is the better idea? Though my first choice was to buy a used 1911 anyways to convert...
>>
>>29846665
Are the Wilson tactical guns actually good?
>>
>>29844375
>UMP460
MUH DICK
>>
>>29844375
That would be a brief relationship. The lwrci of mcx if they get the .45 going though. Blow back is not so goot
>>
File: stress.jpg (55 KB, 551x427) Image search: [Google]
stress.jpg
55 KB, 551x427
>>29844669
>Who gives a fuck what the pressure diference is?
all components of the firearm which are subjected to vastly increased forces. the locking surfaces of the breech and the surfaces which are battered by the operation of the slide.
no, a new barrel, a stiffer spring or a compensator won't make those forces disappear.
>>
>>29847153
Are you actually a faggot?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.