[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite battleship thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
File: King_George.jpg (43 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
King_George.jpg
43 KB, 620x413
Alright /k/ommandos post you're favorite boat de la boat it doesn't have to be from pirate times and such but it can be anything that floats on water and was used in the military
>>
>never got to fulfill its purpose of killing Swedes
Damn shame.

Impressive ship for being 16th century, despite not seeing combat.
>>
File: ussalabama3.jpg (136 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
ussalabama3.jpg
136 KB, 1000x667
>>29834330

That is a ship of the line.

This is a battleship.
>>
File: uss_salem_museum_ship.jpg (328 KB, 1862x723) Image search: [Google]
uss_salem_museum_ship.jpg
328 KB, 1862x723
I really like the Des Moines-class heavy cruisers.
>>
>>29834567
>That is a ship of the line.
which is a battleship. Battleship is short for 'ship of the line of battle'
>>
>>29834567
No anon yours is a dreadnought a type of battleship but battleships go way fucking back.
>>
File: image.jpg (437 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
437 KB, 2000x1333
>>29834330
I know I'll get some hate for this but I'm a huge fan of the Queen Elizabeth class, not only the largest warship the Royal Navy has produced but symbolically she represents the long coming recovery of the British fleet since its "destruction" at the hands of the 1966 defence white paper.
>>
>>29837060
>>29837060
>I'm a huge fan of the Queen Elizabeth class
ditto, although when I say it i am thinking of HMS warspite and the rest of that class of battleship, at launching the most powerful warships in the world, 25 years later still capable of pushing peoples shit in.

any ship whose battle honors read like warspites earned its construction cost back with interest, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Warspite_(03)#Battle_honours
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1500
Best heavy frigate ever coming through.
>>
>>29837060
>ski jump

every fucking time
>>
>>29841228
Can you explain why American LHA's don't use ramps?
>>
>>29834624
>>29835734

A ship of the line is not a type of battleship

Ship of the line -> Ironclads -> Dreadnoughts -> Battleship

Between Ironclads and Dreadnoughts the term battleship appeared

>>29843273

They didn't design them around 1 fucking VTOL Aircraft.
>>
>>29841161
I've actually been aboard the Constitution as a kid. breddy cool
>>
>>29843316
You need to swap Dreadnoughts and Battleboats to match what you said unless you have me confused?
>>
>>29843316
Sure LHA's have other craft onboard, but why severely diminish the capabilities of your vtol aircraft for no reason I can see other than maybe taking up a single helicopter pad?
No ramp means, less payload, less fuel, more dangerous to pilots.
>>
>>29843316
Also, although I don't care about this so much. The term "battleship" was first used around 1790. With a french ship of the line given the term first
>>
>>29843432
>>29843391

Fuck it

Fuck what i said here >>29843316

If it has Armor and large caliber guns (that are its main Armament) its a Battleship So Everything From the First ironclad to the USS Missouri is a Battleship Fuck who ever came up weird classifications
>>
Is it true that building a ship of the line back in the day cost about the same as an aircraft carrier would today?
>>
>tfw no based montana class at pearl alongside the missouri
life is suffering
>>
>>29843316

Actually:

Frigate -> Iron Frigate -> Pre-Dreadnought -> Dreadnought -> Battleship -> Arsenal Ship

Ships of the line as we knew them were a dead-end, and ironclads themselves evolved into the monitor which lasted until the 60s.
>>
>>29843489
Maybe it's a cultural difference, in Europe we've always referred to HMS victory as a battleship, and as I said the term dates back to the 18th century where you can see its usage in papers and military documents.

But I can see why Americans struggle to call a wooden ship a battleship, just a language barrier I suppose
>>
>>29843603

America never had proper ships of the line: we went straight from frigates to pre-dreadnoughts. Same deal with Japan.
>>
File: New_Hampshire_1st-rate.jpg (89 KB, 790x631) Image search: [Google]
New_Hampshire_1st-rate.jpg
89 KB, 790x631
>>29843633
>America never had proper ships of the line
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania_%281837%29
>>
>>29841161
There are two actively commissioned US Navy ships in this picture.
>>
>>29843273
So they have more spots for helos, and harriers can still take off tho with higher fuel consumption but we do aerial refueling.
>>
>>29843409
It's like 3 or 4 helicopter spots you'd be giving up and it's primary purpose is assault not air support, we have designated carriers for that mission unlike the UK.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.