[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying my first shotgun? Suggestions bros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 5570060.jpg (35 KB, 800x329) Image search: [Google]
5570060.jpg
35 KB, 800x329
/k/ommandos... Canuck looking to buy my first shotgun in a couple of months. I'll mostly be using it to skeet-shoot and for paper targets. I don't really want something overtly long... would an 870 express be a good choice? Something like pic-related?
>>
Remington sucks. Go Mossberg 500/590/mav88
>>
>>29828142
If your going to hunt. Sure get an 870 express. Or you could save alot of money and buy a Stevens 320 or something fairly cheaper for skeet shooting.
>>
Mossberg 930 for semi auto.
>>
for sport shooting and general targets I would say get an o/u.

most o/u are specifically designed to shoot trap/clays, by using a slightly tighter choke on the lower barrel to maintain a good pattern on targets travelling away from you

plus they are a bit heavier, which mitigates the recoil

if you must have a pump, i've heard good things about the supernova; though, i don't own one myself.

the mossberg 5-series is fine, but if you're sport shooting you really need to have a bead sight. the ghost ring sights or notch/post sights obscure too much of the target to shoot clays well
>>
>>29828167
I don't see hunting ever being a thing for me. I'm looking to spend probably 500-600 bucks max for a shotgun.
>>29828189
Probably should've mentioned I was looking more at pumps (I find them more fun) but I'll take a look at the Mossberg 930!
>>29828197

Sorry, what do you mean by o/u? Over-under?
>>
>>29828142
Your pic was identical to my first 12 gauge. I loved it. Go for it, OP
>>
Can someone give me a rundown on the R870 express? I was at Dicks the other day and the guy behind the counter was telling me they're great and he has several but /k/ hates on them a lot. Thoughts? It was on sale for $320
>>
>>29828227
Yeah, o/v means over and under.

also you can be like me and save up a few hundred and buy a mossman 590a1 for your first shotty, i got mine because the ghost ring sight makes my pee-pee hard.
>>
>>29831533
don't listen to them anon, the one I have is great, it hasn't failed me yet! you might just have to clean the barrel p often, but thats with most shotguns if you shoot alot
>>
The Remington isn't bad after you put some upgrades into it. I got an 870 as my first gun and loved it post upgrades.
>>
File: 870vs500a.jpg (428 KB, 1197x2867) Image search: [Google]
870vs500a.jpg
428 KB, 1197x2867
>>29828142
>>
File: 870vs500b.jpg (305 KB, 1095x2266) Image search: [Google]
870vs500b.jpg
305 KB, 1095x2266
>>29832054
>>
File: 1404182064863.jpg (130 KB, 1005x325) Image search: [Google]
1404182064863.jpg
130 KB, 1005x325
>>29831533

Remingtons recent ~7-10 year run has had a large number of lemons and poory built guns. Their quality control has gone to shit, many guns have surface rust, screws not screwed in, and other similar issues. Many blame this on cerberus group taking control of remington.

personal opinions
i cannot attest to the express but my buddy has a wingmaster and it is noticeably nicer than my mossberg. The action is much smoother and the gun feels solid, especially considering the mossberg rattle. however i do not like the many many many posts and rants of remingtons fuckery and do not trust the brand. the wingmaster is also in a different class than the express.

look into winchester sxp
this was my first choice of pump but went with mossy purely because of aftermarket
>>
>>29828142

> I don't really want something overtly long

You do if you're going to be shooting clays. For one thing, they're actually intended for the task at hand, swinging and pointing better than a shorter gun. Most 18-20" barrels are also cylinder bore while most modern "field" barrels can take screw in chokes.

More importantly, dedicated shotgun clubs/ranges sometimes ban "tactical" guns completely.

Ultimately you'll get more out of a field type barrel if your primary use is target shooting. You just won't look OPERATOR.
>>
>>29831533
The new Expresses are hot dogshit and $320 for one is a rip-off. I have a 2001 that is decent but the finish is poor and the barrel rusts on contact with air. Extractor issues were the big problem on the original run, but now they're so cheap people are having firing pins and triggers break on theirs. The price is name only. Wingmasters and old police models are pretty solid though. And don't get that Chinese "American edition" shotgun, whatever the hell it's called. Any other brand is hard to go wrong with, but if you shoot skeet you should probably look at a semi-automatic model.
>>
>>29828142

Check out the Corwin Arms website, they have some 12ga pumps on there with a package that has 12, 18.5, and 26 inch barrels for like $350.

Either that or check out the Canadian Gun Nutz Equipment Exchange forums. I bought a Mossberg L395K shotgun off there for $120 and absolutely love it.
>>
Mossberg 88 or 500/590

Lighter, cheaper and 500(or 590 don't remember) passed the military trials. I like mine though I got mine used, I found shells get stuck once or twice out of 100 shells with cheap federal field loads
>>
>>29828142
have 870 express. overpriced imo, have had problems with using cheap target loads, do not like location of slide release after putting on pistol grip stock. i think maverick 88 is best value, as well as safety and slide release same spot so wont make a difference for function depending on type of stock.
>>
>>29833043
My only addition is if you go with a pistol grip on a mossy get an extended release available aftermarket the stock release is a pain to actuate with a pistol grip

I forget which company but someone makes an extended release perfect for a pistol grip stock
>>
What's the cheapest shotgun that will fire at least once?
>>
>>29834128
New is going to be a Chinese import like the Hawk 982 or Savage/Stevens 320 or a single shot like a H&R.

A Maverick 88, which I would say is somewhat better than the Chinese imports, is going to run a bit more. It is probably worth it, depending on how much you plan to shoot.
>>
File: 20160422_204740.jpg (1 MB, 1776x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160422_204740.jpg
1 MB, 1776x2268
Love my 590. I did have a Remington wingmaster 870, but I liked this tacticool shotty. Mine is a 20in barrel model with a full length magazine tube that holds 8+1 2.3/4, or 7+1 3in.
>>
>>29834338
I plan to shoot once
>>
>>29828227
Stevens 320 is only 250$ it's a good fuck around shotgun.
>>
File: machooo9.png (167 KB, 360x278) Image search: [Google]
machooo9.png
167 KB, 360x278
>>29832173
b-b-but I want to look operator tooooo.

My buddy has an Ithica 37, definitely a beast of a gun but I wasn't a fan of the O/U at all.. found it really annoying to load.

Looks like Mossbergs are worth looking into. Next time I'm out at a gun store I'll remember to finger-fuck some Mossy's
>>
>>29834413
Yeah, just get the cheapest thing with a field barrel.

Just go to Walmart and buy a Maverick. It probably isn't even worth the time to order something in, unless you really want to save $20-40.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.