[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5.56 users on suicide watch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: stopping power.jpg (57 KB, 432x523) Image search: [Google]
stopping power.jpg
57 KB, 432x523
This is why you don't use undersized bullets. They produce violent but shallow wound channels.

The test was with .22-250, which is considerably faster than .223. If .22-350 can't break that egg, .223 with the same bullet can't either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdo1JC5fqPw
>>
>>29809435

>varmint bullet
>going 500+fps faster than if it were loaded in .223
>being surprised it has a shallow wound channel

Yeah you're a retard.
>>
>>29809435
good to hear, I was worried about my eggs that are 2 feet deep in my flesh
>>
>>29809455
The fact that it's going faster should cause MORE damage, not less.
>>
>>29809471

It would reduce penetration though.
>>
>>29809435
Thats what you get for using 55gr like a retard. Should always use middle weight or higher with bullets. Sectional density matters more than speed.
>>
>>29809435
Wtf is this "test" even supposed to prove?
>>
>>29809512
My guess is that hydrostatic shock isn't really a thing.
>>
>>29809483
Not necessarily.

>>29809501
That's only about 7 grains lighter than the standard military load. Not a huge difference.

Here's .223 in ballistic gel. Notice even the temporary wound cavity doesn't extend to the end of the gel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbAfdoU9vY
>>
File: 1457159562409.gif (2 MB, 352x217) Image search: [Google]
1457159562409.gif
2 MB, 352x217
>>29809435
>>
>>29809521
All it proves is that the material is displaced perpendicular to the path of the projectile, and not parallel to it, which makes perfect sense.
>>
>>29809523
>That's only about 7 grains lighter than the standard military load. Not a huge difference.

It is a huge difference because we are talking about sectional density, not weight. That's almost a 10% increase in density.
>>
>>29809591
When using a real caliber, like .308, the wound channel extends all the way through the block of gel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJycZ7iP2M
>>
>>29809622
Yeah, the video you showed with .223 shows the bullet yawing and exiting out the side, if there was gel there it would have kept going.
>>
>>29809621
Didn't you see the video of 5.56? The wound channel doesn't extend to the end of the gel.
>>
>>29809591
Just guessing based on the notes, remarking on the "sonic wave" being unable to crack the egg despite the highly energetic temporary wound cavity, and by the energy transfer graph showing low effect beyond the extents of the temporary cavity.

The notes don't say anything about penetration or fragmentation, only about the capacity of the sonic wave to wound. (ie, the fabled hydrostatic shock remote wounding mechanism). Even though hydrostatic shock is bullshit, it's still not a great test since I think one of the primary principles hydrostatic shock is supposed to function via is the overpressure travelling through the bloodstream and rupturing thin vessels in detrimental locations.
>>
>>29809637
Yeah I saw the video, and you are the biggest fucking fucking retard thats ever posted on this board. It doesn't extend because it yaws and exits out the side of the block. If there is gel there, it still would keep penetrating and it would have shown the wound channel continue.

Regardless, that doesn't change my point that sectional density effects penetration more than velocity.
>>
>>29809637
Except that it completely does. Are you blind? Also, the initial comparison of 22-250 to 5.56 is retarded. 22-250 is a varmint round. It's designed to kill things a few inches in diameter. Why would you expect it to do well with a human torso?
>>
>>29809621
>>29809637
>The wound channel doesn't extend to the end of the gel.

The bullet exited the end of the block. The permanent cavity extended to the end of the gel, nevermind the permanent cavity.
>>
>>29809660
*...nevermind the temporary cavity.
>>
>>29809660
That just proves my point that sectional density matters more because its helps the bullet penetrate deeper.
>>
>>29809673
Yeah seriously penetration is king, this isn't the 90s, we don't need to be building our priorities based on fuddlore.
>>
then go shoot yourself with 5.56, jackass
>>
>>29809435

>5.56 user on suicide watch
>more like OP on suicide watch getting BTFO'd in his own thread
>>
>>29809523
>Not necessarily.

With a fragmenting bullet like the varmint load demonstrated in the OP it will. This is a load designed specifically to dump all of it energy within the first few inches of flesh to maximize effectiveness on small thin skinned animals.
>>
>>29809715
/Thread
>>
>>29809523
>>29809435
>>29809471
How to not understand terminal ballistics 101
>>
>>29809646
A note aboit the temporary wound cavity.
firstly, the bullet can only produce, at most, the same amount of blunt force as the shooter experiences in recoil.
then the maximum amount of energy the wave of the temporary cavity can have, is 10% of the energy of the bullet where the wave form was created, and because it is expanding in 360* and a wave through gel/soft tissue, it loses that energy quickly.
>>
>>29809646
>hydrostatic shock
>pressure travels through the blood vessles
that was the original theory, and a major ammunition marketing buzzword, but was proven completely false, multiple times (for example, blood is nearly incompressible, where as the blood vessle has a streatch to itI meaning it would just blow out the side of a vessle and disperse into the soft tissue)
But now hydrostatic shock is essentially a synonym for temporary wound cavity, and still mainly used to sell boolits.
>>
File: 5-56-62-tsx-gel-16-in-barrel.jpg (2 MB, 3104x2448) Image search: [Google]
5-56-62-tsx-gel-16-in-barrel.jpg
2 MB, 3104x2448
>>29809435
>use garbage ammo
>get garbage results
>>
>>29809691
>TFW th FBIs report on handgun wounding factors that was published in ~1992 accurately described that penetration is by far the #1 factor in stopping a human
>TFW the FBI essentially re-released it word for word last year, just with years more evidence.
>>
>>29809435
Well, at least your spine will be fine when your heart, lungs, aeorta, and vena cava are turned to jelly.
>>
Meanwhile I'm gonna continue using 5.56 and have fun doing it

Fuk u op
>>
>>29809715
This.
>>
>ifunny
>>
>>29809435
>two thirds of the gelatin block get fucking annihilated as the bullet disintegrates along the way
>HAHAHA 5.56 FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH, THE EGG DIDN'T BREAK xDDDD

Wew, lad.

But I guess when your vital organs are a smoothie, you can still have some comfort in knowing that an egg buried in your back would be fine. :^)
>>
>>29810160
This
>>
I'm a marine navy seal sniper and can confirm that 5.56 is shit against people.
>>
>>29811261
interesting, any stories?
>>
>>29811238
>Doesn't realize soft armor allows like 6 inches of penetration.

>>29810200
Hydrostatic shock is a thing, although an inconsistent thing with too many variables to warrant justification. Go ahead and quote me on this, if enough of a bullet energy is transferred into your rib cage it will knock you the fuck out. Although hydrostatic shock is never the cause of death, normally shit dies before it wakes up causing the appearance of "stopping powah."
>>
>>29811369
>soft armor

Moving the goalposts is cool and all, but can you point out where exactly has anyone advocated using varmint bullets against soft armor?
>implying soft armor is even relevant nowadays when even most LEO are using plates
>>
>>29811381
That was my first post in this thread. Just clearing some facts, I'm not even against you. It seemed important that you understand that some penetration is okay although probably unpleasant.
>>
>>29811289
>interesting, any stories?
Most of is it classified since we did black ops stuff, but the enemy hid behind egg crates that our bullets couldn't get to. We dumped 5.56 caliber clips into them and couldn't hit them. The medics would just drag the crates away.
>>
Good, so all I need is 2 feet of fat and tissue in front of my vitals and I'll be fine. OP is retarded. Egg is retarded. You're not walking off a 5.56 round hitting you anywhere important.
>>
File: psMi16j.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
psMi16j.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>29811432
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.