[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are navies still a thing that exist? The whole point of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: unnamed.png (90 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
90 KB, 384x384
Why are navies still a thing that exist? The whole point of a navy is to pick up troops from one piece of land, and transfer them across the water to another piece of land, and planes are much superior to boats in that and every other regard.

>defense of coastline
Planes can do that too
>sending supplies to soldiers in foreign lands
Planes can do that too
>b-but submarines!
Are meant to down boats, if there were no boats there would be no need for submarines

It's 2016 people, the ocean is completely irrelevant in modern warfare.
>>
>>29801713
Holy fuck, you are stupid.
>>
>>29801713
I'm half tempted to take this bait...

>Captcha Select all images with BOATS.
>>
>>29801713
>if there were no boats there would be no need for submarines
I'll take "what is an SLBM?" for two hundred please Alex.
>>
File: implying.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>29801713
>The whole point of a navy is to pick up troops from one piece of land, and transfer them across the water to another piece of land
>>
First of all fuck me. But I am curious as to why they persist.
>>
>70% of Earth's surface is water
>herp derp why does naby exisd xDDDDD
>>
Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>29801713

Alright, so this is bait, but in case it isn't.

Just off the top, how many tanks can a plane carry again? How many tons of food, medical supplies, engineering equipment? How many soldiers can a plane carry?

Boats carry vastly more of anything than a plane could ever hope to do. Logistics wins wars, plain and simple. Ships are the number one best thing for carrying massive amounts of stuff across the world.

If your rediculous concept of what planes can do was correct we would haul oil in planes, but we use super-tankers to do it.

How do we get all these wonderful supplies into the war theater? Ports. You need to be able to shove a fuckload of men into a situation to capture deep water ports, you can only do this with amphibious assault vessels. Yes, having the planes and helicopters on carriers to reduce defenses, and maybe drop some high speed motherfuckers behind enemy lines would be super useful, but when push comes to shove you need to take the beachhead and you need bodies to do it.

Finally, what the fuck are you smoking? You think that modern navies DONT have aircraft? They work in tandem.
>>
File: F-4_Phantom_II_VF-21.jpg (3 MB, 2830x1920) Image search: [Google]
F-4_Phantom_II_VF-21.jpg
3 MB, 2830x1920
>>29801713
Because you can put a plane on a ship and improve on both by doing so.
>land-based planes a shit
>>
>>29801713
Test
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.