[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the EF88 Austeyr that good? and why have the ADF picked it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
Is the EF88 Austeyr that good? and why have the ADF picked it up? I don't get it desu, though i'm sort of a newfag to /k/ and guns in general
>>
Having had to use an M4 carbine in combat, thank fuck we chose the EF88.
The last thing Colt made that worked as advertised was the 1911. In 1911.
>>
>>29788577
Are you SF or something?
>>
File: kiwipop.jpg (234 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
kiwipop.jpg
234 KB, 1100x1100
>>29788206
It looks like there are some fundamental problems that the EF88 upgrade doesn't address. Chief among them is the mostly fixed length, which can be a problem for especially tall or short users, and also the lack of full ambidexterity.

I'm a Kiwi and our defence force switched to the AR-based CQB16.

...I always thought Austeyr was a really neat name though
>>
>>29788794
Nine months carting an M4 in the Ghan, I never changed the pull length once.
When I had an F88SA1 in Iraq, I was able to use it left handed around a corner with no problems. No stoppages, no problems ejecting.

Your problems with the Austyre are imaginary.
>>
>>29788206
The Steyr AUG and it's derivatives are all pretty solid.

>>29788577
Colt lost the M16 and M4 contracts to Fabrique National Herstal a long time ago, also, the M4A1 solved most of the mechanical problems inherent to short ARs, and the M16A1 solved the basic problems of regular long ARs even earlier.

Current Colt brand ARs on the US market are adequate, but it seems they still think they can charge a premium for their brand name, and as if they still had exclusive rights to the design, when comparably good ARs can be had from Ruger and S&W at a lower price.

>>29788903
A non adjustable stock CAN be an issue for manlets and giants. Easier to solve for giants.
But overall, the AUG is a good rifle.
>>
>>29788577
>M4 Carbine in combat
>opinions on the 1911

You fucking SASR, Cunt?
>>
>>29788943

I always figured AUGs (and most bullpups in general) were inherently bad for manlets, since the length between the buttplate and trigger is long by default. It tries its best to reduce the length by placing the recoil springs ahead of the bolt carrier, but it's still long.

As for the the rest of the changes, the skeletonized receiver and the removal of the quick change barrel seem like good improvements, but the holes in the stock and the fluting of the barrel might be a bit much for a military rifle.
>>
>>29789059
Fluting, if done correctly, should cut down on weight a little, help heat dissipation, and the barrel should still be strong.
If you're willing to spend money on it, it's not a bad thing.

In the US Army, they specifically have a Sig Sauer pistol as a secondary choice you can requisition for your sidearm (if applicable), as apparently people with babbyhands had troubles handling the Beretta, which is slightly bigger than average.

I kind of wonder if similar arrangements could be made for service rifles, or like maybe manlets could be outfitted with subguns featuring AP ammo, and they can carry extra stuff for the squad instead. Like a packmanlet.
>>
It's pickier about ammo than you would normally expect from a military rifle.
>>
>>29788577
Translation;
>I've never actually used an Austeyr or Colt M4 or seen combat
>>
>>29789121
The new styer is meant to be something like half a kilo lighter then the old one
>>
>In the US Army, they specifically have a Sig Sauer pistol as a secondary choice you can requisition for your sidearm (if applicable)
>secondary choice
>choice

No they don't.

And yes, I know what an M11 is.
>>
>>29788206
They picked it up because they requested it to be made. It's just an AUG adapted for easier manufacture and to suit the needs of the ADF.
>>
>>29789172
I don't know the exact details of procurement but I know the idea was for manlets with babyhands.
Whether or not this is how it worked in practice I can't say.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.