[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since the F135 engine is ramping up to full production, do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: sdd_f135_018.jpg (206 KB, 1500x1128) Image search: [Google]
sdd_f135_018.jpg
206 KB, 1500x1128
Since the F135 engine is ramping up to full production, do you think it will find it's way into other jets that use much older and less powerful engines?
>>
I am not sure what the F135 is designed for, but I am increasingly impressed by the engineering that goes into a jet engine.
The RS71 is decades old tech but its damn complicated shit
>>
>>29787898
The F135 engine powers the F35.
it's a variant of the F22's F119 engines.
>>
>>29787913
As far as I can tell, the F35 project is a huge amalgamation of compromise. It was designed to be a jack of all trades and as such a master of none, so I would assume this also applies to its engine. For that reason alone I would say they wouldn't convert other jets for the F135.

However of course it is new tech, and may boast in advantage in that regard.

I suppose there are 2 things to consider, reliability and performance. If a currently installed engine provides both, then it'd be a good idea to stick with it. On top of that, if this was designed to replace say the F18/F16, then surely theres no need to engine swap.

Thats my 2p
>>
>>29787762
It puts out 35kN more thrust than the F119 in the F22 and is derived from the F119 so I expect the F22s will get this engine eventually.

>>29787967
Pierre Sprey plz go.
>>
Isn't the F119 engine almost 25 years old at this point? I remember reading that the engine was already finalized in the beginning trials in the early 90s

This is absolutely massive, if I am understanding the scale of the picture properly.
>>
>>29787980
I don't get it, do you disagree?
>>
>>29787992
>being this new
>>
>>29787980
Nope, F-22 engine is optimized for supercruise. F-35 is optimized for transonic with some slight supercruise performance.

If I recall its something to do with the F-35 engine having more bypass and the F-22 having less bypass (more of a leaky turbojet really).
>>
>>29787762
Could it fit in an F-16?

>>29787980
Highly unlikely, the 119 is optimized for supersonic flight whereas this is not.
>>
>>29787980
Much more likely they would rework the F119 using knowledge gained from the F135. I'm not even sure The F135 could fit in same space in an F22.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.