[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God and Country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Gustave Courbet.jpg (410 KB, 1548x1252) Image search: [Google]
Gustave Courbet.jpg
410 KB, 1548x1252
>tfw your ass is getting shipped to basic

Any tips from vets?
>>
>>29771911
offer to suck the DI's dick
>>
>>29771911
when you get to marksmanship phase, tell your DS you dont need any training, as you're an firearms expert already
>>
>>29771911
Volunteer for everything and go out of your way to show the DI/DS/whatever that you're the best damn recruit there.
>>
>>29771911
You were retarded enough to join up witha peace time military (probably as a faggot POG), you get to rot in hell.
>>
>>29771911
DI's like helpful recruits, if he says something wrong, correct him
>>
>>29771911
Don't be exceptional, don't be a fuck up.
>>
>>29771911
Bring all the tobacco you can, shits worth more than gold in basic.
>>
Listen to what they tell you about your job. If they say to shoot this way or to rappel off of a tower this way or whatever, just do it. The entire point of the training is to get you to develop skills and trust the people appointed over you.
>>
>>29771911

Have your mom and friends send you letters and care packages, their love and well wishes will help you to stay motivated.
>>
>>29771927
I actually wonder how this would go....

Hey DI, I dont need to waste ammo, Imma get 40/40 so just gimmie dat sweet gold badge
>Knifehand following rampant gibberish
>Get 40/40
>retrieve brick from DI's underpants

Do you collect $200 and go straight to SS?
>>
>>29771911
Shoot the DI, then yourself
>>
>>29771911
>ship off to basic
>cry because you are an idiot ~18 year old
>get out of basic
>wash rocks, and rake sand all day for the length of your contract
>get out
>demapnd the upnost respect and gratitude from everyone, because you defended this nation, as well as leach welfare, since you dont know what real work is
>>
>>29771911
Show you are listening, mimic every gesture and word the DI says.
>>
File: 8-Full-Metal-Jacket-quotes.gif (943 KB, 500x264) Image search: [Google]
8-Full-Metal-Jacket-quotes.gif
943 KB, 500x264
>>29771979
Do it, OP
>>
>>29771911
Do whayever it takes to stand out from the croud, let the DIs know you are the real deal.
>>
Literally, if you do the exact opposite of everything in this thread, you'll be fine.
>>
>>29771911
Uhhh.... fucking deal with it?

Basic aint shit, everyone has done it. Its just loud, boring, and you are hungry a lot.
>>
File: 1087igor-joekz.png (38 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
1087igor-joekz.png
38 KB, 800x531
>>29771911
Don't be a fuck up or an individual. Don't be that guy trying to excel at everything but don't be that idiot who can't tell his ass from his elbows. Just keep your head down and stay in the middle of the pack.
>>
>>29771911

Make it clear to your DI/DS that you intend on pursuing special operations, if you are, so they can give you pointers
>>
>>29771911
In the grenade training, they never give you a live one, they have some explosives buried in the pit where you throw a decomisioned one, show the instructors you know the difference by dropping your "live" grenade next to you after pulling the pin.
>>
>>29772033
Stop trolling faggot. We need to help this poor soul.
>>
>>29771911

Keep your mouth open and don't forget to call the DS "Sir" and stand at attention when you talk to them.
>>
Just do not fuck up and do not be a special snowflake
>>
>>29771911
Do you like penises in your anus?
You better start liking penises in your anus.
>>
>>29771911

Volunteer to carry the 240. It'll be a happy time.
>>
>>29771911
Remember, that now a days, a DI cant make you do anything, can't touch you, canr cuss, and can't yell at you. If he does, tell him he cant do X, and if he doesnt stop you are reporting him to his CO.
>>
Demystifying bootcamp:
1: its mostly just marching
2: its really boring
3: you clean a lot of stuff
4: you shoot a bit
5: you run a lot
6: you hike a lot
7: its over

Thats it. Theres no "survival method" or "insider tips" you just do what you are told and dont turn into a fucking pussy and decide to quit.

Its stupid and boring and you get yelled at a lot and you just fucking do it.

Its literally that easy. You just fucking do it. I have watched the biggest fucking dumbass pussies literally get dragged through and the pass just because they never say the magic words "I quit."

Like literally, I watched a guy who intentionally wanted to get kicked out pass, much to his chagrin.
>>
>>29772034
>>29772162
This is really it.

Best tip I could give beyond this is unfuck yourself first, then those immediately around you. You will pay for the fuck-ups of those around you, try to mitigate it as much as possible. There is no winning in basic, just minimizing the losing.

That said, BCT was the easiest part of my time in the military. The actual training begins once you arrive at your unit.

Don't think, just do. It is that simple.
>>
>>29772234
Army or marine?

I was a marine myself. We ended up working with the army on a combat deployment, army regular infantry are more or less the same as marine infantry, just a few doctrinal and command differences but the basic grunt culture was the same.

Marines had a bit of an edge because we deploy more often, but the army deployments are longer was the biggest difference I saw.

I guess organizationally the two branches are very different, but in the end grunts are grunts.
>>
>>29772283
Army, never really got to work with Marines since we were in Nineveh Province. That said, respect what you guys were doing in Anbar and Helmand as well.

I was 1st Cav, so I'll just let that speak for what it is (all-you-can-eat soup sandwiches).
>>
>>29772539
Honestly, I respect the infantry, but I got a bone to pick with your pogs.
2 stories

>be on a clearing op
>kickin doors and venting skulls n all that
>guy steps on ankle popper
>loses both legs
>we get the arteries clamped off, double tourniquet, call in medivac
>army bird shows up
>mother fucker lands right on top of the LZ team killing 3 ANA and wounding 2 more marines who were struck by the aircraft while trying to run away
>(can only assume ANA were too high to run)
>pilot shows up after deployment
>whines that he is getting kicked out and we should be thankful he was trying to save our lives

Story 2 is more personal
>pull up to intersection
>unidentified army pog unit securing cordon around blown up truck
>tell us to detour through a nearby wadi
>but is the route clear?
>verbatim, Its seared in my memory cuz it directly led to me getting blown up
>"yup, we had eod sweep that route like 3 times"
>you sure?
>"eah we are fuckin sure, its been swep like 5 times"
>you just said 3
>"whatever, eod swept it, its fuckin clear!"
>100 yards later 45-50 pounder goes off directly under my truck
>gunner, so I get my shit rocked, headbutt the ma duece and pass out
>wake up to the same army pog stammering and trying to blame it on us leaving the swept area
>oh you mean the area you pointed at and said was safe?

Yeah. Turns out EOD hadnt even made it out there yet.

I try to be reasonable, like I said earlier, because I have worked with great army guys, but there IS a small shred of me that sincereley wants to shoot a bunch of arny pogs and piss on thier corpses. Irrational? Probably. But almost getting your face erased by incompetence does form some grudges.

I used to hate ALL army guys, but my little bro joined army EOD and then I worked with the 10th mountain and I guess got over atleast some of it.
>>
>>29771911
Don't talk. Be as quiet as possible. There are some real pieces of shit in the military, and you only want to talk to people you know are decent.

And if you stand out, you'll get knocked down. So, don't stand out.
>>
File: 1385208271182.jpg (3 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
1385208271182.jpg
3 KB, 125x123
>>29773333
Basically, be the grey man, but do everything well.

>>29771972
>retrieve brick from DI's underpants
I didn't realise OP was going to navy basic, I assumed army.
>>
>>29772144
>can't cuss

Have you ever been to basic recently, or do you just read shit from fudd chain e-mails?
>>
/vet/fag here, basic is a joke. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>29773015
Old armyfag here, how the fuck did the pilot land on people? I was a pathfinder attached to the ASA and no helicopters would land near us unless I was there. Does the Army not do pathfinders anymore?
>>
>>29771911

Don't be a fuckup, don't try to be a superstar or brag about how well you did at something. Just shut up and do what you are told.

Don't be the stinky kid. Everyone is tired, everyone is fed up with all the bullshit. Wash your cloths. Wash your ass. Shave your face. Don't be retarded. Don't be the guy who has another soldier assigned to them to make sure they wash their cloths, make their bed, and shave their face.

Drink water like they fucking tell you to. Try to get salt at every meal. Cramps are real and they suck an ass. Being hydrated will make everything suck less.

The Drill Sergeants will tear open every piece of mail you receive and look through it. You will be ridiculed and mocked if there is anything that is contraband in there. Any food will go straight to the garbage. It will seem like a minor thing before and after but I saw one kid break down and start crying. Don't put yourself in a shitty situation.

Just follow the fucking rules. Sleep when its sleep time. Be awake otherwise. Don't sneak food. Don't sneak tobacco. Don't try to sneak and fuck some nasty chick if they have women near you.

Realize it is all a game. The Drills don't really want to be there. They are playing a game, most sergeants you will meet in your career with the Drill Sergeant patch are the coolest guys. They put on an act, because they need to distill concentrated garbage from the civilian world into something half way resembling a soldier. Don't take it personally.
>>
>>29773472
Im a marine so maybe im not the guy to ask, but I have literally never heard of a pathfinder.

For background info this air unit were reservists, and the squadron commander was also relieved of command for failing to perform preflight checks and hard landing a bird that hadnt been refueled only a few miles outside the wire after takeoff.
They were straight fucking garbadge.

To illustrate, we called in a bird to pick up a detainee, we had the LZ group about 2 miles south of our main ground assault force. They got into our airspace and instead of flying to the 10 digit grid we supplied and looking for smoke they just decided to wing it and land in the middle of our assault staging area because it kinda looked like what had been radioed in.

With expierience in this regard, please tell me how unprofessional "just eyeballing it" like that is. Because we were prepping to assault an objective and a fucking bird just came in utterky unnanounced and landed right in front of us, then announced they were ready for pickup over the radio several times.

Our LZ team was a few miles away being told the by the aircrew that the bird was right in front of them confused as fuck because it very clearly wasnt. We were like "uhhhh..... who the fuck are you?"

It was a shitshow any time we had to deal with that squadron.
>>
>>29773559
Pathfinders are an army thing I guess, basically airborne guys that are responsible for handling sling loads and ensuring the safety of LZs.

Sounds like you guys had a team doing that, but the reservists fucked it up. I was never near reservists because I never saw combat, but my little bro has told me all sorts of horror stories from the mid east. I see them by the local school doing PT and 75% are fatbodies, disgusting.
>>
When was the last time you screamed as hard as you can? Cuz in basic you will do that over 100 times every single day, and if you aren't VERY loud you will get into trouble quickly, get extra PT, etc.

Many will tell you to take up running, doing push-ups, etc, and I agree.

Sounds crazy but I would recommend screaming as hard as you can into a towel like 50 times daily.

Your vocal-cords will get the hardest workout of ANY part of your body.

You will not hear this suggestion from ANY other person, but it's good advice.

They key thing is to not get noticed at all, which means no fucking up and no bragging, no complaining.

More:

Lessay you ALREADY know how to do something they're about to teach you to do:

DO NOT show of that you know how to do it already.

DO NOT DO THAT.

I'm serious about screaming into the towel --if you don't, during basic I guarantee you will remember me telling you to do that.
>>
You don't get much time to eat so go straight for the calorie dense stuff. I recommend getting as many pop tarts before anyone else does.
>>
>>29773508
How bad are they about the face shaving? Because, my face pubes might well be razor proof. Rigid as hell and I still feel them after I get done shaving for the sixth damn time.
>>
>>29773622
In theory, anyone in my company could call in and set up an LZ, in practice we had NCO's do it, or staff and O when available.

I cant speak highly enough of the appache crews though. They straight saved our asses a few times that we kicked the hornets nest.
>>
Start drinking a lot of water. I didn't find out until the 30th ag that I was dehydrated most of my life and then had to pee every five minutes. Not fun when you have to drag a buddy with you every time you go. Also, the only thing I wish I knew going in, was how fucking stupid people are.
Like, you think you know what stupid is, but this is a whole new special kind of retarded. Several people I knew were practically illiterate. Others thought it would be a good idea to drink hand sanitizer to get fucked up. Just prepare yourself to deal with the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.
>>
File: IMAG1340_1.jpg (1 MB, 1520x2556) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1340_1.jpg
1 MB, 1520x2556
>>29773559
>>29773015
>Army blackhawk crewchief here
What in the actual fuck? How did that crew manage that? The only possible excuse for landing on people was that it was zero illum at night. I've had a couple close calls when bushes start running around. Also, our NVGs can't see blue light.

But again, that's the ONLY way I can maybe understand that happening. If it was day time they deserve a prison sentence for criminal negligence, sounds like they were a horrible unit with their lack of preflights and taking off without fuel anyway. That shit would have NEVER happened in my old unit.
>>
>>29771911
Have fun in a garrison Army.
>>
The nail that stands out gets hammered.
>>
>>29774362
Don't listen to this guy, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
>>
>>29774291
You are gonna lose your shit soon.
1300, zero weather to report, zero wind, slight heat haze in an open area 400 meters from the nearest obstruction cordoned by vehicles, enemy activity possible. Risk of brownout (which as you know, means literally nothing in a desert, there isnt a place in afghanistan that doesnt have brownout risk)

I was LZ team, no idea what the pilot was thinking, helo came over our heads as it was supposed to, since we were on the approach vector side. Hovered over the center of our cordon for maybe a half second, then just slowly and inexorably drifted towards the far side of the cordon who, facing outboard on thier security sectors, had no idea it was heading towards them.

Tried to scream at em, but you know how load helos are. They couldnt hear me.

The ANA, not the most attentive, didnt move, perhaps sensing something off one of the marines turned his head, saw a helo coming right for him, grabbed the marine next to him, and took off running.

Helo hit em, knocked em over, the front landing gear actually settled on his head, but his helmet saved him, he unbuckled it and escaped with what amounted to a beating.

Other marine broke his leg.

3 ANA just straight got crunched.

It was the dumbest way to ever get hurt ever. Meanwhile this guy with no legs and his corpsmen are just gawking as the birds crew dismount and look around like its just a normal day on the job.

I have never wanted to murder a fellow american as badly as I have in that instant.

Long story short a retarded reservist aircrew turned a single casualty collection into a mass cas and massivley soured relations with the local forces, who refused to work with us after that.

Like I said, the pilot tried to whine to us about how he just did his job trying to save a life. I think he wanted us to root for him and give personal statements supporting him in his court martial and subsequent discharge.
>>
>>29772162

Poster is correct

>>29772283

Then the poster just fucking loses it

>I was a xxx
>have some of my opinion no one asked for or was talking about
> these guys vs those guys
>my guys was better

>>29773015

no fucking blackhawk is going to squish anyone unless its crashing lol. god you're fucking stupid.

>pilot shows up after deployment

Yes, the army aviation officer who's stationed at another part of the country on a different rotation schedule visits your squad personally to whine that he is getting kicked out.

You're a pathological liar who probably was stuck in the armory your entire enlistment. go away.

>>29773559

Here comes another story, I haven't even read it yet, but looking forward to reading fiction.

>calling in a bird for a single detainee during an op
>10 digit grid
> straight garbage

you sound like you've been in the fleet for a week

>>29774605

please provide which unit you were in, whin this happened and which company. Also your name
>>
>>29774605

Wow that sounds like a fucking mess.

Gotta say though, I know helos are loud I'm a little surprised the 3 ANA didn't notice a 64ft chopper about to land on their heads and gtfo accordingly.
>>
Just curious as someone who might enlist in the future, what happens if you try to stand out and excel at shit?
>>
File: IMG-20160109-WA0000.jpg (668 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160109-WA0000.jpg
668 KB, 1520x2688
>>29774605

Yeah, that's fucked. I'm glad that piece of shit got the the boots put to him.

>my aircraft while on medevac duty

>>29774782
They pull people from everywhere to testify for a courts martial. Regardless of rank or branch. If you had been in for more than two days, you'd know this.

Also, shitty crew was shitty and got people killed. When the pilot drops collective, ~15,000 lbs doesn't care if there's a squishy bag of meat in the way.
I'm impressed that the helmet took 5000lbs long enough for the dude to get his head out.
>>
>>29771911
Get gud but don't be such a tryhard lol XDDDD
>>
Don't accidentally call the DS Dad. Don't ask me how I know...
>>
>>29775186
How do you know?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.