[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polymer rifles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: x95.jpg (473 KB, 1694x859) Image search: [Google]
x95.jpg
473 KB, 1694x859
So, looking at the MDR, X95, AUG, and various HK abominations- is polymer really here to stay?

What are the benefits over aluminum or steel?
>>
>>29760929
Weight reduction bro
>>
>>29760929
>lighter
>costs less
>>
>>29761062

Ah, just like how all the guns in OP are extremely affordable right? Basically any 'modern' poly gun costs an absolute ass load of money.

Or is this because the market is oversaturated with 'older' designs made out of steel and aluminum?

Tbh the Aug and Tavor are both reasonably heavy to boot.
>>
File: SAM_0004.jpg (1 MB, 1844x1383) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0004.jpg
1 MB, 1844x1383
>>29761384
To be fair, the receiver in the AUG is a solid block. It's heavy.
>>
>>29760929
Cheaper to make, generally lighter, and it doesn't rust or degrade in any way.
>>
>>29760929
They work more effectively to protect against heat than aluminum and steel, lower weight than wood.
Also polymers can be engineered specifically to have different desirable properties.
>>
>>29761384

In fairness he never said it would be cheaper for the BUYER.
>>
>>29760929
Im thinking the MDR is going to be the best bullpup of our time. Its potential is great
>>
>>29761455
>aluminum
>rust

memester
>>
>>29760929
mainly the weight

but also polymers are continually advancing, there is a lot of room for development, I doubt metal is going anywhere fast

manufacturing costs are a lot lower, which becomes realy important when they are made for war; not for profit

the civilian unit price is still crazy high, but that has a lot to do with the lack of a surplus market, and high military bids
and the limited number of manufacturers, and the patents

also like>>29761687 said, the protect well against burns

miscellaneous advantages:
they can be easily made to float
they are never reflective, and don't rely on pains or treatments
they don't rust, clatter, make burs when scratched
>>
>>29762498
I'll believe it when I see it, which won't be for a long time.
>>
>>29762950
may*

memefag
>>
>>29760929
Realizing I'm the only one who thinks so, the Tavor 1 looked a gazillion times better than this 2nd generation or whatever.

What is the improvement supposed to be?
>>
>>29760929
>>29761384
>>29762498

Samefag
>>
>>29763339
Mag release relocation is the biggest improvement for me
>>
>>29764099
I have tiny manoet hands so the first tavor is fine for me desu
>>
>>29762498
Yeah, if we ever get it. At least IWI had pumped out a new and improved Tavor in the meanwhile.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.