[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I tell if my rifle has a rifled barrel or is smoothbore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Marlin_35_rem_2.jpg (57 KB, 625x580) Image search: [Google]
Marlin_35_rem_2.jpg
57 KB, 625x580
How do I tell if my rifle has a rifled barrel or is smoothbore?
>>
Open the action and down the barrel.
>>
>>29750732

It's stamped on the side of the barrel.

Bonus fact: the direction of the rifling depends on whether it was done in the northern or southern hemisphere.
>>
>>29750770
Ausfailia, pls go.
>>
>>29750732

What kind of question is this?

Does it have those spiral grooves like in your picture? If yes it's rifled.

If it doesn't and the bore is SMOOTH, it's a smoothbore.
>>
>>29750732
That's obviously a groovy barrel op

It's cross between rifled & smoothbore
Highly collectable, you lucky bastard
>>
well if it's a rifle, it's a rifle. Start there
>>
>>29750732
By looking at it.
>>
>>29750770
Coriolis effect is one of many cruel mistresses at long range.
>>
First thing I do when I get a gun is stick it in my ass, a prostate is much more sensitive than other parts of the body, so its easier to tell that way whether you have a rifled barrel or not.
>>
>>29750732

Step one: Load the gun and put one in the chamber
Step two: Put the barrel of the gun in your mouth
Step three: Take the gun off safety, and pull the trigger
Step four: Listen for the computer in the gun. It uses your mouth for oral vibrations into your ear canal, it'll tell you the specs of your gun.
>>
>>29750790
Mind=blown
>>
File: whatdoyouthinkofop.jpg (140 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
whatdoyouthinkofop.jpg
140 KB, 640x960
>>29750732
>my rifle
>smoothbore
are you retarded or something?
>>
>>29750877
Kekd and checked
>>
>>29750732
Its as simple opening the action and shining a light down the barrel while looking from other end.
If it looks similar to your picture then it is rifled.
>>
>>29750732
Hijacking this thread.
I recently got 2 M1917 barreled actions and realized that they have been rebarreled with a 2 groove barrels instead of 5 groove.
Did I fuck up and should try to get a different one or will they still be accurate?
>>
>>29751074
As far as I understand there's no noticeable difference between 2 and 5, when I was researching 1903s I found that some had 2 and others 4, in an effort to save money the government cut it down to 2. There wasn't a notable difference in accuracy or cost. So I say they're probably fine.
>>
>>29751296
I've *heard* that's only good for the original military loading. However, many years ago I owned a sporterized 03 with a two-groove barrel and shot 180-grainers out of it all the time. If it was less accurate, I didn't notice. Nor did the deer.
>>
The don't make smoothbore rifles

Unless you have a really old musket

Only things that come in a smoothbore are scattergats
>>
>>29751315
>>29751074
Alright thats what I was hoping. Thanks for the replies.
I had spent so much time picking the shinest bore that I didnt realize it was only 2 groove till i got home.
>>
>>29750732
well, is it a musket or a rifle?
>>
>>29751296
Well I fucked up the linking in that.
>>29751443
>>
>>29750910
Are you fucking serious? Jesus, child. Why do you think it's called a smoothbore shotgun? You think anybody wants to send buckshot down their rifled barrels?
>>
This thread hurts me.
>>
Requesting groovy pictograms demonstrating groove shapes and possible groove improvement theories.
>>
>>29751074
According to the brit military with 2 vs. 4 grove enfields, there is no different in accuracy between the two.

You will be fine.
>>
Load the gun, look down the barrel, then pull the trigger.
>>
If it's not rifled them it's not a rifle.
>>
>>29750770
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yd0u5Xrw1g
>>
File: 1444424594448.jpg (39 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
1444424594448.jpg
39 KB, 500x666
>>29750732
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rifling

>MFW digital natives can't into internet
>>
>>29750732
Shoot yourself. If you can feel the bullet spinning before you die, it's a rifle.
>>
Hk has true polygonal barrel which looks smooth bore. You have to look through to the opening and you see it is not round.
>>
You guys are some hungry fish
>>
File: maxwot.jpg (56 KB, 417x520) Image search: [Google]
maxwot.jpg
56 KB, 417x520
>>29756158
Easiest board to troll
>>
>>29756180
You know, /k/ really is the easiest board to troll but consider that our opponents are the most ignorant stupid pseudo-intellects on the planet. We deal with so much opinionated ignorance on a regular basis that it like reality itself is a troll.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.