[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Urban planning, ranges, and the future of the gun culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
What are /k/'s thoughts on making it easier for people in cities and denser suburban areas to shoot?

>imagine how much easier it would be to get people into shooting if ranges were as common as gyms
>more people innacity than innabasicallywilderness
>more poorfags than richfags
>vast untapped reservoir of potential support, shooting buddies, logistically easier group outings, rebels against tyrannical government, etc.
>if you build it, they will come
>mfw i can't shoot muh raifus without driving an hour each way (to any of several damn nice ranges, but still)
>mfw my future job opportunities will probably be in mostly urban areas as well
>expanded gun industry might make guns and muh 22lr cheaper too
>chicken and egg: anti-gun urban governments are in position to prevent construction
>laws have to change so infrastructure can change so views can change so laws can change
>physical constraints exist--need enough room, ventilation, noise, backstop, etc.
>but good gyms, e.g., have physical constraints too--need to make sure the floor can deal with having weights dropped on it, neighbors don't mind the noise, ceilings are high enough, ventilation --so the constraints aren't insurmountable in principle
>also legalized silencers will help with the noise
>mfw high schools in Sacramento and San Francisco used to have shooting ranges in the basement
>mfw it can be done
>I hear SE Florida is kind of like this but that might be a meme
>same with switzerland

tldr has anyone even been far so as decided to want go shooting ranges as common and easily available as gyms?
>>
File: courtesy-the-blogmocracy.com_.jpg (99 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
courtesy-the-blogmocracy.com_.jpg
99 KB, 500x365
Pic related, some swiss swissing. Note the absence of an hour's drive each way. But maybe it's only like this in the countryside?
>>
File: florida_north_south.jpg (1000 KB, 1918x771) Image search: [Google]
florida_north_south.jpg
1000 KB, 1918x771
Pic possibly related?
>>
>>29749581

Short of building a new airport 4 blocks down or running rail tracks down your alley, I cannot think of a quicker way to depress housing prices than living near a gun range. Indoor would work, but good luck setting up 100y rifle ranges indoors.

Out door ranges in crowded city areas would be even more tough:

1. De-regulate suppressors
2. Prepare for the booty-blasting anger when municipalities _require_ a suppressor on any gun range within city limits.
3. Build a 10m high berm and still go out of business when Francis Schmukatelli still manages to somehow put a .30 caliber bullet over the top
>>
>>29749581
Lead abatement for indoor ranges will be a challenge- manageable, but something to be aware of.
>>
File: montana.png (159 KB, 959x771) Image search: [Google]
montana.png
159 KB, 959x771
>>29749666
Satanic trips speak truth.

>housing prices
Yeah, this is a problem. Another chicken/egg deal--we want people to be happy that they can shoot easily, but they have to already want to shoot easily for us to put in the infrastructure. Maybe look at old warehouse/industrial brownfields. I know in LA they aren't too far from the fun parts of town.

>Indoor would work, but good luck setting up 100y rifle ranges indoors.
A fair point. I've been to a 75 yard indoor rifle range, and it wasn't great, but it was OK. Sitting only, which was pretty gay, but anything up to .300 win mag. I'd be willing to live quite a bit farther from the good outdoor ranges if I could walk or ride my bike to the mediocre indoor range.

Maybe look into shooting off the coast, in coastal areas? Of course, waterfront real estate is expensive. And you'd need to avoid shipping lanes. Put the whole kaboodle including a berm/bullet trap on a barge, partially enclose it to keep people from shooting over the top? Or go unnaground?

>Prepare for the booty-blasting anger when municipalities _require_ a suppressor on any gun range within city limits.
Gotta say, this doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal. Suppressors would be pretty cheap if deregulated, no? And being able to shoot suppressed at a city range beats not being able to shoot anywhere innacity.

>>29749685
Yep definitely. Bullet traps behind the targets, chelation in the ventilation system?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>29749603
If you want to go shoot your AR or AK in switzerland, then good luck. A friend and i have to wait TWO fucking months untill the range is free because it is so booked
Shooting your K11/31 or Stgw 90/57 isn't a problem though
I reaĺy wish we had more KD-Box style ranges or the army opening their KD-Boxes to the public
>>
>>29749581
I live in the St. Louis area, and like three new shooting ranges have opened up since Sandy Hook, one of which is in a normal strip mall, and you'd never think there was a shooting range in there. It's nice having ranges close by, but it's driven by demand. Shooting ranges are expensive to build. You need to use A LOT of hardened steel for your backstop, and that costs money, especially for enough hardened steel for a rifle rating, which of course they have to do, in order to fuel the demand for black rifles that let them open their businesses.
>>
>>29749581
This is a good topic

I live on Long Island. We essentially have 2 public outdoor gun ranges. There are a handful of indoor ones. They're all technically shit.

There is a LIPSA range with is a private thing. Not many people know about it and they host competitions and stuff. I kind of don't want more people to know about that.

However, I would love for there to be more quality outdoor public ranges here. It's just hard because
1. Anti-gun state, and close to anti-gun epicenter of the United States (NYC)
2. Space constraint because this is suburbia on roids
>>
>What are zoning codes

Literally /thread/
>>
>>29753207
Where did you have to wait that long? I never have to wait longer than a day or two.
>>
>>29749581
Dense population doesn't go well with more shooting ranges. The biggest issue is that people don't want to hear gun shots all day long, especially on weekends. This means that you're pretty much limited to indoor ranges which are much more expensive to build, especially in densely populated areas.

This is pretty much a problem here in Switzerland. Opening a new outdoor shooting range is next to impossible. Opening indoor shooting ranges is much more simple, but cost of property is so excessive that you're pretty much limited to 25 to 30m ranges.
>>
File: kokotheloco.png (3 MB, 1438x7007) Image search: [Google]
kokotheloco.png
3 MB, 1438x7007
>>29753207
>>29754145
Huh. Interesting. What's a KD-Box range? And why is it easier to shoot milsurp? Just arbitrary rules?

>>29753276
See, this is what I'm talking about. I feel like new supply could also drive demand, just by lowering the barriers to entry. There are a lot of urban populations that have no ranges nearby, or one shitty little range. They have to be interested to go shoot, but going shooting is just what would get them interested enough to go.
>tfw this was me for quite a few years
Still, I take your general point.

>>29753691
>I live on Long Island. We essentially have 2 public outdoor gun ranges.
I wouldn't have guessed--I thought Long Island didn't have much open space? But yeah, it's starting to look like it might be better to create demand by other means first.

Long Island might also be a natural place to set up ranges partly or entirely on the water, if that's ever a viable option anywhere.

>>29754336
True, true.
>>
>>29749581
Op you are a dipshit, I live in a pretty rural area but my shoot spots are still an hour away
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.