[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you had to make an estimate, what do you think the casualty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Big guys.jpg (40 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Big guys.jpg
40 KB, 400x300
If you had to make an estimate, what do you think the casualty rate is for tier 1 special operations forces like SAS, Delta, CIA SAD, etc...
>>
>>29747085

I heard during the peak of the war in Afghanistan the life expectancy of a tier 1 operator was less than 24 hours.
>>
File: colt 15.jpg (106 KB, 581x750) Image search: [Google]
colt 15.jpg
106 KB, 581x750
I had a friend in the military who could have gone to Ranger school around the time the Iraq War was in full swing. Told me that he was told rangers had a super short life expectancy once they hit the ground. That can't be true though, r-right?
>>
>>29747085
Proportionally, higher than line units, but overall numbers are probably a lot less as is in line with their total size.

Rough guesstimate would be 10% WIA and 1-2% KIA. Though I don't know if something like all those SEALs dying in the Chinook tanked the numbers.
>>
File: LAND_M1114_HMMWV_IEDed_lg[1].jpg (86 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
LAND_M1114_HMMWV_IEDed_lg[1].jpg
86 KB, 640x480
>>29747108

When I was in Iraq I saw 4 Navy Seals KIA in the vehicle.
>>
>>29747160
You can look up Ranger KIAs, that stuff is publically memorialized.

http://www.leadthewayfund.org/honor-our-fallen/

Honestly, very low numbers. Their rate for WIA is probably pretty high, but they have the best medics and usually very well planned operations which means good CASEVAC.
>>
They refuse to use armored vehicles or even heavier weaponry so I'd imagine that yes, they take pretty high casualties
>>
>>29747201
>rangers
>sof
>>
>>29747348
Oh boy here we go! Yes, Rangers are SOCOM and thus SOF. Sorry you are kawaii for some other unit.

>>29747261
SOF elements use equipment suited to their needs. Generally they are in lighter vehicles because they aren't doing RCP or something. They also get better funding and TOE giving them a lot of firepower for their size. And it's not as if an SF MATV is lacking armor or something.
>>
>>29747160
1. Ranger School has nothing to do with joining the Regiment.
2. We have the lowest number of casualties of any SOF unit. During the entire GWOT we had 0 preventable deaths.

>>29747201
Our number of wounded even falls dramatically under the statistical average of other units.
>>
>>29747085
100%
we all die sometime
>>
>>29747108
Seriously? That seems really crazy, or exaggerated. I hate to be that guy but please provide a source.

I find it insane that the military would let their best men die, after years of training, in less than a day in some desert shithole
>>
>>29747977
I'm very surprised your WIA is low. I had guessed high based on more contacts and resistance in HVT than a line unit causing more chances for injury.
>>
>>29748672
i have an ex ranger medic buddy, and while he didn't go into details, he kind of confirmed what Ricky said: he did minor stuff but not too many major casualties
>>
>>29748285
The Vietnam MACVSOG was a complete shit show that saw a lot die.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, sending elite operators to super dangerous missions can be crazy hazardous to your health.

No knock night raids on bin laden compounds is probably easy.

Training durkhas against durkhas is probably easy.

Setting up and leading rebel groups for years on end, or infiltrating deep into enemy territory in an active wars ithor any real support? Crazy dangerous, better to move them in discretely before hand.

Context is important.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.