[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LRRP/Ranger/RECONDO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: LRRP.jpg (44 KB, 432x324) Image search: [Google]
LRRP.jpg
44 KB, 432x324
What was the difference between these 3 things in Vietnam?

Were all LRRPs referred to as Rangers or were there Army LRRP teams alongside the 75th Rangers? Were Rangers employed entirely as LRRPs in Vientam? Were all LRRPs formed from airborne units?

Was RECONDO a qualification anyone could do or was it THE LRRP course?
>>
All LRRPs are Rangers, the 75th are also Rangers. The 75th still functioned as a light unit, not just as reconnaissance teams.

Not all LRRPs were formed from airborne units, they were designed as advanced reconnaissance elements organic to their larger organizations.

Recondo school was the in-country LRRP school, you had to be selected/try out to go, and the final test was a live combat patrol. You couldn't just take some time off your tour to do the school, if you went to Recondo it's because you were going to be on the teams.

There was also still ranger school at Benning, but the Recondo course was considered the "real thing" and guys who only went to Benning were not as highly regarded amongst other LRRP team members.

t. Former LRS team member
>>
I read a book of someone who did RECONDO. It was a school anyone could go too. It was the only live action combat school I ever read about in the US armed forces. The final field test had real VC on the trails trying to kill you.
>>
>>29742705
>Were Rangers employed entirely as LRRPs in Vientam?
no
Were all LRRPs formed from airborne units?
no
I used to know a man who was LRRP during Vietnam and he was Marine. The guy had some real balls and great stories. I mean they didn't even carry guns many times since the report would give them away so they would fight hand to hand with knives if they came in contact. Fuckers had balls.
>>
>>29746193
>great stories
>I mean they didn't even carry guns many times since the report would give them away so they would fight hand to hand with knives if they came in contact. Fuckers had balls.
I think thats all they were. Sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>29746193
>was a marine
>and LRRP

Was he a seal too? And MACVSOG? And CIA? And a delta plankholder?

Fucking goofball shit.
>>
>>29746730
>Was he a seal too?
No. he was a Marine. A lifer who spent a lot of time in Vietnam. I knew the guy in the early 1990's and he was hard as fuck. Great guy not some bullshitter faggot who needed people to think he was better or more bad ass than he was. I believe every word he said that mattered to him.

It's funny how people in their 20's think they know every last fucking thing.

Are you going to say that we never had regular ground operations in Cambodia and Laos now? What else are you going to tell us didn't fucking happen then. Please tell us that the men some of the older anons knew in real life never did the things they say they did because our DoD says those same things never happened. Like that pesky Gulf of Tonkin inceident...I mean Uncle Sam NEVER tells lies to his nation. Idiot.
>>
>>29746711
>Sounds like bullshit.
This is why all the operators have left. Anyone who is into the real history of the Vietnam police action..kek, police action.. knows shit like thus is true. LRRPs would end up miles in to chicom held clay so firing a weapon in defense was suicide and guarantee death.

I bet you fuckers think Carlos Hathcocks stories are all bullshit as well.
>>
>>29747099
>This is why all the operators have left
Sorry we chased away your heroes, anon. You'll be alright though.
>Anyone who is into the real history of the Vietnam police action
>kek, police action....knows shit like thus is true
Well ok then
>>
>>29747068
>I believe every word he said
You keep believing
>>
>>29747068
>Great guy not some bullshitter faggot
Brotip: he is a bullshitter faggot. Everyone that's been in the service knows that and knows why based on what you've said.
>>
>>29747263
And who are you faggot besides some idiot who thinks having a name on 4chan is anything but full potato.
>>29747279
You must be right anon, no one has ever done anything cool in service ever and not a single one of them would ever talk about things over shots and beers with a neighbor who served peacetime.
I mean everything thing is a lie unless you have video WITH sound to back it up. I feel bad for you youngsters, your lives are so fucking empty since you all started sitting in front of flat screens lurking the web and playing teh vidya every waking moment instead of socializing with friends and your elders.
>>
File: 56012839.jpg (49 KB, 350x228) Image search: [Google]
56012839.jpg
49 KB, 350x228
>>29747400
>being in this much denial
My god. Being this old(judging by all your hurr pals back in the 90's and your kids these days don't know shit) and this fucking stupid must be awful going through life. Hopefully your family puts you in a nice care facility where you can be looked after.
>>
>>29747400
AH WUZ A MARINE RECON LRRP RANGER SEAL

Can it kid. We've seen this kind of loser a million times before.
>>
>>29746193
lol
>>
>>29747447
You sound like my 6 year old daughter when we tell her to eat her veggies, laugh my fucking ass off.
>>
>>29747477
>>29747662
Are you anons looking forward to you summer break from HS? Going to get some airshitting or paint balling in?
>>
>>29747959
>You sound like my 6 year old daughter when we tell her to eat her veggies, laugh my fucking ass off.
You mean your wife's daughter. Also any more cool, totally true stores about the 'Nam?
>>
>>29746193
I can confirm that this is totally true. My brother is a recon marine and he goes on missions with only a map, compass, radio, and knife. There's a reason why recon marines have so many knife kills.
>>
>>29748037
I told no stories, I mentioned a man I knew personally who is a veteran of the Vietnam police action and I used police action ironically as it can be used.
He was active duty for almost 30 years, was 100% Marine and went miles and miles into unfriendly territory gatherring intel and said he was a LRRP. Now granted he isn't as fucking autistic as most of /k/ is so whatever. He said it, I have every reason to believe he was being truthful and you can tongue my anus.
>You mean your wife's daughter.
Of course it's my wife's daughter you stupid kid. That's how it works for men who live non degenerate lives. We get married and then have children. I'm sorry your mommy is a sloot and did things like a sloot often does. Have you ever found out who your dad was anon?
>>
File: LRRP.jpg (52 KB, 698x613) Image search: [Google]
LRRP.jpg
52 KB, 698x613
>>29742705
>>29742705
My uncle was a LRRP team leader. Hes 21 in this pic

>shot through his heel during extraction on his 11 month of deployment
>>
>>29748076
Oh shit...my neighbor who I've been posting about was recon not LRRP.. God damn it everyone I made an honest fuck up and I place blame entirely on the river of whiskey I've poured into my gut in my life.
Well shit...
>>
>>29748531
>being this autistic and drunk
>having a family
Best of luck. Keep re-telling these tales though. Do love a good story of some knife killing gooks in the jungle
>>
>>29748741
No one claimed to have been in the jungle anon, lay off. Go satisfy your eternal hunt for stolen valor somewhere else mallninja... real men have been talking here.
>>
>>29748558
That is a bad ass pic
>>
>>29749519
Yea he's seen some serious shit and serious shit related accessories.
>>
>>29742705

None, they all lost the war.
>>
>>29750849
The United States of America never wanted what you call victory./ We didn't want to nation build. We wanted to bankrupt China and we did. We kept China out of global geopolitics fairly solidly for many years, we also coast Russia a lot of cash in the process.
There are many ways to victory anon, open your mind some.
>>
>>29750887
>making shit up to disguise butthurt

so how did we bankrupt china when north vietnam was on soviet side of the split?
>>
>>29750912
Sure thing kid, I mean Russia did great work with the "Uncle Joe Stalin trail" ...topkek
>>
back when I was 17 and in driving school my driving teacher was LRRP. Once I told hime I was in DEP for the marines he opened up about it more. I He told me about a time one of the teams came out and never came back. He said about a month later they iced a VC patrol and they found a starlight scope on one of them that belonged to one of the other team guys. Pic related
>>
>>29750912
Different anon, but through some very interesting political maneuvering we brought China over to our side of things and drove an even deeper wedge in the Sino-Soviet split late in the Vietnam War. Say what you will about Nixon, but that move with China reaped massive rewards as far as Cold War results. Also meant Vietnam was/is fucked since its large northern neighbor was once again extremely hostile to it (which is somewhat interesting because decades later us and Vietnam are cozying up again together as China shifts from frenemy to enemy over time).
>>
>>29751873
>desperate maneuvering to try to extract a little gain from a foreign policy endeavor that has totally failed in every way is passed off as some sort of long-term geopolitical foresight

dont think so brah
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.