[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shipwrecks & Abandoned Military Hardware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14
>Soviet submarine K-278 Komsomolets

>"The boat sank in 1989 and is currently resting on the floor of the Barents Sea, one mile deep, with its nuclear reactor and two nuclear warheads still on board."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-278_Komsomolets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lost_Russian_or_Soviet_submarines#After_the_Great_Patriotic_War

If /k/ recovers this and takes over sealand can we go nuuuuuclear?
>>
It's flooded and has a giant crack in it.
Also
>Russian submarines
Greatest deathtrap since the T-62.
>>
>>29738756
No you idiot, fuck the submarine. Just steal the warheads and maybe the reactor core
>>
>>29738773
>Russian reactors
Greatest deathtrap since russian submarines.
The nukes already got stolen by the way.
>>
>>29738825
>The nukes already got stolen by the way.
[citation needed]
>>
>>29738825
>The nukes already got stolen by the way.
that was the K-219, and only some of them.
Komsomolets probably still has her nukes, because they're hard to get and no one wants them.
>>
>>29738869
>K-219
You're right, I thought it was the 278.
>>
>>29738756
>Greatest deathtrap since the T-62.
The T-62 is a fantastic tank. Not as good as the T-64, but it's still good.
>>
Nuclear warheads underwater for the last 27 years.

Yeah, the cores might still be intact, but the detonation stuff is all shot. Good luck ever getting them to go boom properly.

Also, the reactor itself is probably a death trap by now.

There is no point besides going for the fissionable material today. And going a mile down for it isn't worth it.
>>
>>29738869
>K-219
>However, it could be seen from instruments that although the nuclear reactor should have automatically shut down, it was not. Twenty-year-old enlisted seaman Sergei Preminin volunteered to shut down the reactor, to be enabled by operating under instruction from the Chief Engineer. Working with a full-face gas mask, he successfully shut down the reactor. However, a large fire had developed within the compartment, raising the pressure. When Preminin tried to reach his comrades on the other side of a door, the pressure difference prevented him from opening it, and he subsequently died of asphyxiation in the reactor compartment.
god damn
>>
>>29738825
>>29738848

There was a Soviet sub with nuclear torps that sunk and by the time the Russians got down there, a 20 foot hole was cut in hull accessing the torp room.

FUCK ALL YOU DOUCHEBAGS WANTING CITATIONS.
>muh Wikipedia or news article is infallible!! Citations prove everything!!

You guys are fucking dumb. Maybe you're disinfo agents, but in a country that probably still has a covert eugenics program and has a history of forcefully lobotomizing people against their will, you dickheads refuse to believe that your being controlled and manipulated.

There's a huge black market for nuclear material and you bet your ass that just like how doctors will steal your kidneys, powerful military personnel will steal fissionable material if they can get away with it.

You guys just don't understand.
>>
>>29739112
Mr. Dec, what the fuck are you on about.
>>
>>29739112
>muh Wikipedia or news article is infallible!! Citations prove everything!!
I'm one of the most anti fucking news organization types there are, I want a citation to prove it's not just you making things up. It doesn't have to be a fucking news report, get me a Russian military report or even a fucking blog from someone who was actually there.

Otherwise: Quebec and Scotland's governments are working together to steal Trident nuclear missiles from the Royal Navy to threaten Canada and the UK into granting them independence. It doesn't need a citation, it's a fact. Look, there are even nuclear submarines at port in Scotland!
>>
>>29739163
AYE OR DIE
>>
>>29738869
>>29738922
>read k-219 wiki

Oh shit.

You know the US got ahold of those nukes.
>>
>>29739189
well the US is the only country with the confirmed ability to salvage sub wrecks miles down. And the 219's position was known at the time of the sinking

May as well have wrapped the fuckin things with a bow.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DL6STxYr9Q

Interesting video of an abandoned Soviet submarine command base in Ukraine that was abandoned just as it was being finished. Very STALKER-ish.
>>
>>29739398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC83dG9I2vQ

Much better video actually
>>
>>29739121
>>29739163

I'm saying odds are they want citizens mostly ignorant of lost or stolen and unaccounted for nuclear materials.

Because there's nothing you can do about it, nothing they can do about it, it makes the establishment look bad, and only serves to create panic.
>>
>>29739564
>I'm saying odds are they want citizens mostly ignorant of lost or stolen and unaccounted for nuclear materials.
There's an entire wikipedia page devoted to broken arrow incidents, including ones where warheads are yet to be recovered.
>>
>>29739564
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>29738665
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Surcouf

The Surcouf is much more feasible. It doesn't have nukes but a good chance for gold.

>"Many stories add that much of the gold from the French Treasury was in Surcouf's large cargo compartment"
>>
>>29739683
gotta find it first. Could be anywhere from New York to Cuba.
>>
>>29739057
Russian sailors just suffer, you either die a heroic death trying to stop a meltdown, or die when your sub implodes.
>>
File: kursk on seabed.jpg (14 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
kursk on seabed.jpg
14 KB, 500x374
I always found sunken subs to be creepy, especially with the windows acting as eyes.
>>
>>29739721

Sidescan sonar and other seabed topography systems should have already found it.

Who knows what maps of the ocean floor the navy has that they don't tell anyone about.
>>
File: scorpionsail.jpg (152 KB, 740x550) Image search: [Google]
scorpionsail.jpg
152 KB, 740x550
>>29739788
The ocean's a big place. It took us 4 months to find Scorpion, despite knowing more or less where she had gone down due to SOSUS data.
All that's publicly known about Surcouf is she left Canada for Panama, and was never seen again. That's a lot of seabed to cover.
>>
>>29739752
At least there is lots of homosex before then
>>
>>29739857

And technology has advanced over an order of magnitude since then.

And we have a huge fleet. And if they are always scanning and updating maps, they should have found it by now.

If there was significant amounts of gold, whoever found it probably didn't want to repatriate it.

There were divers that found MILLIONS of dollars worth of Spanish gold centuries old, and if I recall Spain said "Fuck you, it's ours" even though Spain has had numerous revolutions since then.
>>
>>29739112
This reads like something written on a poorly constructed website in all capitals with no paragraphs, punctuation, and frequent grammar atrocities.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! THE GOOBERNMINT IS STEALING SOVIET WARHEADS!

Citations are important because it prooves you arent just some nutcase making shit up for attention. It shows that other people with respected reputations and a history of verfied sources (ot atleast consistent claims) are interested too.
>>
File: SanFrancisco.jpg (281 KB, 1280x1012) Image search: [Google]
SanFrancisco.jpg
281 KB, 1280x1012
>>29739926
not enough to tell a sub from a large rock 3 miles down.
Most of the maps we have are concerned with finding undersea mounts, which are massive in comparison; even then we're still occasionally surprised finding more of those.
>>
>>29740016
Story behind this pic anon? Jesus what happened to this sub?
>>
>>29740027
it hit an underwater mountain [spoiler]while at flank speed[/spoilers don't work here]. Charts were then updated to include said mountain.
>>
>>29740027
Retarded captain decided to go towards a region of sea that was suspected to have a mountain but not on his charts. instead of adhering to safety he decided to keep going and learned the hard way that there was a mountain there.
>>
>>29739926
USS Compass Island was rumored to found the Scorpion on June 9, several days after the Scorpion went missing. That photo was taken during Robert D Ballard's dive.
>>
>>29739261
>confirmed
>>
>>29739788
They have probable exact coordinates that just need to be verified.
>>
File: k129.jpg (37 KB, 630x355) Image search: [Google]
k129.jpg
37 KB, 630x355
>>29740159
>implying we didn't raise, at the very least, the entire bow and conning tower sections of K-129 in 1974
>>
>>29740027

Pretty sure they grafted on the bow section of another boat that had just been retired. still sailing.
>>
>>29740177
so who gets the gold if someone confirms the coords?
I'd assume they'd split it.
>>29740197
that's probably one of the things that helped us win the cold war, was getting all the data from K129
>>
>>29740046
>>29740074
>>29740205

Goddam, still impressive they managed to come back to shore with that level of damage. Go go engineering skill and fast thinking sailors.
>>
>>29740046
>>29740074
do they not have sensors on the front to let them know when there's a fucking mountain right ahead of them?
>>
>>29740245
do you even into inertia?
>>
>>29740245
only sonar, and that's basically broadcasting your location to anything listening
>>
>>29740245
There's the sonar
It's hard to know how it happened, or what a fast attack boat was doing going flank speed maneuvers at the other end of the Pacific
>>
>>29740245
Main problem is the speed. If you're going at flank (read: max speed) pretty much the majority of your sensors, sonar etc are garbage. You pretty much only go flank if you're evading a torpedo, doing trials, or having to do a fast transit through safe waters.
>>
>>29739112

>your being controlled
>your
>>
>>29740015

The thing is, we don't know who got those warheads.
>>
>>29740357
I never knew flank was max speed, I always thought it was like 75% and full speed ahead was full speed.
also, even if you could see something, you're not stopping in time to not hit it once you pick it up.
>>
>>29738665
Here's a good book

'Blind Mans Bluff'
The untold story of American submarine espionage.

Shit was cash
>>
>>29739652

>being mad about retarded people

THE SOLUTION TO TEACHING THE RETARDED IS TO STOP MAKING PEOPLE RETARDED.

Chemicals, forced stupidity for population control, deliberate dumbing down, etc.

I wonder how many people were forcefully lobotomized against their will. I wonder how many people are secretly medicated, mentally neutered with nanomachines, etc.. for fucks sake a guy pulled out the CIAs "heart attack gun", Patton and JFK were obviously murdered by hidden organizations, and our country is being used and abused and people are being tricked into deflecting their anger onto the wrong people.

This place is fucking HELL. You'd think doctors would be smart but they fucking aren't, they'll believe anything written by a PHD like most of us.

>I KNOW HOW TO CURE THIS MAN
>LETS DESTROY HIS BRAIN
>then everyone makes fun of the victim for being dumb

The crimes against humanity that go on daily in this country and world are obscene.

Believe in conspiracies. We live one.
>>
>>29740501
where are the nice people in white coats who take care of you, anon?
>>
>>29740448
>we don't know who got those warheads.

What other countries can rip out missiles from a black steel dildo 3 miles underwater? Sweden?
>>
>>29740480
My understanding is full is max safe sustainable speed and flank is the sub equivalent of redlining the engines as high as they'll go. I could be mistaken on that though. And yeah, inertia on a multi-k ton ship is a right bitch.
>>
File: 1452626048964.jpg (77 KB, 450x518) Image search: [Google]
1452626048964.jpg
77 KB, 450x518
>>29740501
You're trolling nigga, get out.
>>
>>29740520
>What other countries can rip out missiles from a black steel dildo 3 miles underwater? Sweden?

They would go 3 miles underwater to stick the black steel dildo up their ass.
>>
>>29740016

There's not much excuse for that... You can look at human skeletons on the bottom of the ocean, we have satellites that can read the date on a penny, and we have binoculars that can see people's farts from miles away.

Either the military is being kept in the dark and need to know information is being deliberately withheld from them, or there's a severe breakdown in communications. We've mapped the human genome, cloned animals and probably humans, we've found planets capable of sustaining life.... but you think we don't have a very accurate and detailed map of the ocean floor already?

>>29740197

Who else knows what they did that they won't tell us about. There are a lot of secrets out there and I'm tired as fuck of the government sticking their head up my ass and giving me no privacy while protecting the privacy of others.

I'm tired of the short end of the stick.
>>
>>29740016
>when you walk into a door
>>
>>29740585
>You can look at human skeletons on the bottom of the ocean
if the bottom is a few feet away, sure.
>we have satellites that can read the date on a penny
we don't, that's literally not possible. There is a hard limit to what a lens can see. Then add in atmospheric distortion, and it's pretty clear we have nothing that can come close to that.
> We've mapped the human genome, cloned animals and probably humans, we've found planets capable of sustaining life
well the thing about the genome is it's literally right there, no need to cover 70% of the planet with high dollar mapping equipment. Planets hang around stars, which ain't exactly hidden.

The military, or more accurately our intelligence apparatus might do shady shit, but they're not omniscient.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (113 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
113 KB, 1080x810
>>29740585
>and we have binoculars that can see people's farts from miles away.

Farts are visible?
>>
>yfw russian radio operators all of a sudden hear callsign K-278 broadcast on their frequencies
>ghosts with nooks
>>
>>29740647

No, they aren't all knowing, but they see enough to convince them of their suspicions and confirmation bias does the rest. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have been murdered because they weren't what their watchers thought they were.

And I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..

>>29740657

The heat is.
>>
>>29740647
Mapped the human genome, and now they're finding code within the code of the DNA.

I shared an elevator with Michael Bishop one time...
>>
>>29740501
Just because you're a retard doesn't mean that everybody else is.
>>
>>29740501
oh right, spring break is this week
>>
File: SM_U_118_Beach.jpg (153 KB, 1278x808) Image search: [Google]
SM_U_118_Beach.jpg
153 KB, 1278x808
Maybe the thread can get back on topic, no?
>>
>>29740769
Dude, I get it that its really fun to create these elaborate fantasies where only you and your friends know about them and everyone else are just too sheepled to get it, but this is /k/, and WE are telling you to calm down. Its a sign bro.
There does have to be some level of proof behind your claims before we will take you seriously. You can shriek about the scary stuff they dont tell you all day, (and there is shit they hide, not disputing that) but there has to be atleast a shred of solid evidence presented or we arent interested.

I can imagine dark scary conspiracies on my own, as can any /k/ommando. If you want positive attention or acknowledgement find pictures, articles, and actual educational content on the matter. We will bullshit with you all day about say, the plans to build nuclear-implosion pump powered one use particle beam weapons in the 60's all fuckon day. Because we can actually prove with documents that they atleast talked about it. Sure everything else we say on the subject afterwords is fantasy and speculation, but atleast it has the benifit of physical evidence proving it was atleast almost true.

You on the other hand, sound like you shot meth and tried to watch the bourne identity and the davinci code at the same time.
>>
File: 0415161440-1-1.jpg (1 MB, 2517x1677) Image search: [Google]
0415161440-1-1.jpg
1 MB, 2517x1677
>>29738665
I have pics of the SS Dominator I went on a hike down to just last week. I'll post more after I get off work.

Anyone know any history behind the Dominator?
>>
File: we have to go deeper.png (435 KB, 795x1022) Image search: [Google]
we have to go deeper.png
435 KB, 795x1022
>>29739112
>>29740501
>>29740769
https://youtu.be/f4mb6gzu60U
>>
>>29740240

I work for the company that makes them and I'm still surprised it diddn't get more fucked up but hey.
>>
>>29741512
That's freaking sweet man. Still just boggles my mind we can make machines that go that far and fast beneath the water, and in this case, survive a 30+ knot impact with a freaking mountain.
>>
>>29741461

The dude seems like an entertainer instead of some dude going through hell
>>
File: u864_kystverket_620b[1].jpg (184 KB, 620x547) Image search: [Google]
u864_kystverket_620b[1].jpg
184 KB, 620x547
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-864
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Caesar

This submarine was carrying blueprints and designs for the jet engine to Japan, as well as carrying many engineers that would help the Japanese develop jet aircraft to fight the Americans with. It was also carrying tons of mercury.

Anyway, it was detected by a British submarine which launched a torpedo and sunk it- the only instance where a submarine intentionally sunk another submarine.
>>
>>29741019
It all makes sense, when you look at it like a crazy person.
>>
>>29741461
What the fuck did I just watch?
>>
Is it true the uboats were actually some of the less advanced subs in ww2? (except the type XXI)

i've always felt it was implied they were among the best, but i recall also reading somewhere they were actually cramped deathtraps compared to the US and British models.
>>
>>29741711
>the only instance where a submarine intentionally sunk another submarine.
no? there were a lot more such cases
>>
>>29742825
not him but think it was the only time when both were submerged
>>
>>29741019
>/k/ official spokesperson
>>
>>29739112

Take your tin foil somewhere else
>>
>>29741711
>mercury
Why? Instead of a lead keel? For science in Japan? As a "don't sink us or you'll fuck shit up in the ocean"-deterrent?
>>
>>29741711
"...the only instance where a submarine intentionally sunk another submarine."

Year 1942 Finnish Navy went hunting Soviet submarines with its three Vetehinen-class subs (Vetehinen, Vesihiisi and Iku-Turso). Result: Three sunk Soviet subs (ShCh-305, S-7 and either ShCh-308 or ShCh-320) vs damaged Vetehinen (whose captain decided to ram the Soviet sub in addition of putting two 76-mm shells in it and peppering it with 20-mm Madsen). Probably the only time submarines have been armed with depth charges.
>>
>>29745332
Were both parties submerged at the time though? The sinking OP is talking about is regarded as the only time one sub has torpedoed and sunk another sub while both were submerged and engaged with eachother; the German sub performing evasive maneuvers at the time it was torpedoed.
>>
>>29740501
Spot the parranoid Bernie supporter
>>
A submersion diving ship that works on cables or oil rigs, would have no problem recovering those warheads. Though you will get noticed and have the usa and Russia on your ass.
>>
>>29741626
The voice is a radio host reading some letters that a schizo was mass mailing to people.
>>
>>29738773
CIA or Mossad already did this.
>>
>>29740197

This is still one of my favorite cold war stories. The engineering behind the salvage alone is phenomenal. I also call bull on the official story, they must have recovered everything. IAEA lists the warheads as recovered, no mention of how or by whom.
>>
Can nuclear armed subs still launch their missiles while they're in drydock?
>>
>>29747054

Oh. That makes sense.

The schizo was a legit patriot trying to raise awareness of what torture has become...

However, he might have deserved it. When something bad happens to innocent people, they just don't understand it. If he understood it and was innocent the dude is a real hero. Even if he's guilty by calling out like that, it's still admirable to a sort.

Humanity is still no different than we were at the beginning, we just have new toys.

>>29747713

I agree absolutely.

Those warheads went somewhere. I hope they went to people that deserved them and were smart enough but to use them.
>>
>>29749579

The subs need trained crew to launch missiles, along with authority. Keys. Codes, etc. I'm sure those are bypassed easily enough but they'd need time to do that.

In short, yes.
>>
>>29740027
I worked with a guy who got a head injury from that. Said things went from totally normal to flying across the room right away. But people worked calmly and didnt panic which kept the damage from becoming enough to sink her.
>>
>>29745332
>ramming subs
>depth charging other subs

Why are Finns so insane?
>>
Aren't most warheads setup with some form of cryptography for the trigger mechanism so that theft and improper attempts to set it off will render it mostly inert until someone really tears it down and rebuilds it?
>>
>>29750557
Still freaking amazing that they managed to save the ship. I mean damn, people talk about holes in ships, but that's like caved the fuck in, whole bulkheads are sheared and buckled there. Also if I'm not mistaken, is that a stress crack running from the tear? Like right where the red and black paint meet?
>>
>>29750643

How does heavy machinery like the reactor not jump off their mounts and coolaid man it thru bulkheads after going flank-zero in one second?
>>
>>29750655
they bolt it down.
>>
>>29750655
From my understanding reactors and pumps and whatnot have some the sturdiest and robust mounting out of all of the sub machinary, mainly from a sound isolating perspective, but yeah, that stuff is pretty much bolted down as hard as you physically can between metals.
>>
>>29750643
He didnt know much about the damage he was an electronics specialist and was busy trying to keep sensors working and manned to cover for injuries and people who had to leave their station to aid in the emergency.

Apparently since sensor stations are near the bridge he was as safe as you can be suddenly getting thrown sideways. He was thankful he only banged his head on the floor. Apparently he was sitting and got tossed out of his seat so had less far to fall and got off easy.

He actually quoted the exact speed at the time but I forget now.
>>
>>29750626
no. There's the PAL, but those aren't on subs.
We might put better security on them, but lol test ban treaty.

Soviets gave even less of a fuck than we did.
>>
>>29750626
aside from legal, moral, and the crew, a rogue captain and XO could start ww3 and shit missiles all over the place.
the only thing keeping some ruski from stealing a sub and fucking shit up is the USN, how hidden the sub is, and the crew.
>>
>>29750728
Well I'm glad he was able to survive and tell you the tale. Talk about pucker factor. And if they were going at flank, that's gotta be at least 25+ knots, that's freaking nuts.
>>
File: kursk-630x390.jpg (94 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
kursk-630x390.jpg
94 KB, 630x390
Have you heard they're making a video game about Kursk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4_3ZwQy2g
>>
>>29750953
jesus christ that looks fucking terrifying.
and kinda awesome.
>>
>>29750953

>KYPCK
>KURSK
So this whole time, I've listened to music from a band named Kursk. Ok.

>All that eastern asshurt in the comments
>>
File: 1459898369619.png (632 KB, 681x475) Image search: [Google]
1459898369619.png
632 KB, 681x475
>>29751139
>All that eastern asshurt in the comments
>SLAVS EXPLODING THEMSELVES WITH POORLY CONSTRUCTED, MAINTAINED AND HANDLED TORPEDOES IS SAME AS 9/11, SHOW RESPECT BURGER
>>
>>29743727
> Approximately 1,500 short tons (1,400 t) of mercury was purchased by the Japanese from Italy between 1942 and Italy's surrender in September 1943. This had the highest priority for submarine shipment to Japan and was used in the manufacture of explosives, especially primers.
>>
>>29751737
>purchased 1942-3
>didn't set sale until 1944
GERMANIC
__F
__F
__I
__C
__I
__E
__N
__C
__Y
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.