[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gas Mask Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10
File: gas143_large.jpg (42 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
gas143_large.jpg
42 KB, 480x480
Hey you filthy niggers.

I saw something recently, I only wish I could remember where, that said half face respirators (like painters and contractors use) are better than surplus masks for several reasons:

1. They're made to higher standards
2. The filters are easier to come by and are cheap
3. You can aim a rifle with one on
4. There's a wider variety of filters that you can use, including military grade ones to protect against gas and similar shit that actual military masks are made for

I'm not sure how true any of this is, the guy claimed to be employed in a field that uses these masks and surplus masks and he says these blow the surplus ones out of the water in terms of practicality and reasons stated above.
I've currently got a Czech M10M mask, and the filters are a bitch to get in and out and I can't aim a rifle with it.
If the half masks are good then I could get some good goggles and use them with it.

Is this worth it or plausible? If not, I wan't a mask that accepts NATO filters, what should I look for in that area?
>>
>racist

>>>/pol/
>>
>>29728858
Literally any 40mm commercial mask is compatible with NATO filters.
Commercial filters are better in just about every way though.
>>
>>29728858
Saw them talking about this in a stalker thread a few days ago. Guy was saying the 3m ones are better because there's actually some dorm of quality control.
>>
I know nothing about this, but it sounds reasonable. Army surplus gas masks are kind of mall ninja-y.
>>
File: gas mask gold standard.jpg (2 MB, 1969x1703) Image search: [Google]
gas mask gold standard.jpg
2 MB, 1969x1703
There was a thread about this a few days ago. I saved this from it.
>>
>>29728858
>quality control
>not buying new manufacture MSA masks
>>
File: N95-8210-Mask-300.jpg (38 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
N95-8210-Mask-300.jpg
38 KB, 300x300
>>29728858
There are a number of reasons why using surplus masks are way worse than using traditional commercial masks

The main issues being
>availability of high quality, unexpired replacement cartridges
>the ability to properly decontaminate after exposure
>whether or not skin exposure will also affect you

When you start talking about biological and chemical threats, like lets say some sort of deadly flu or Sarin Nerve gas, you have to worry about how you will decontaminate yourself after exposure. Sarin will fuck you through skin contact as it absorbs through the skin. If you didn't breath in the biological threat, you still have to worry about eye and skin exposure, plus once you take the mask off you are still fair game.

typically if you are dealing with full on CBRN threats in the middle of an urban center you are pretty much fucked.

N95 filters are good because they block, basically, 95% of shit. So if you are dealing with a radioactive fallout situation, while you can still be exposed through skin contact, is it much better than breathing it in. If you are dealing with Yellowstone-meme, a standard n95 filter will help you stop breathing in a fuck ton of ash. They also help stop infection diseases - as good as another mask, but we're talking a half mask or even just those simple white clothy-masks instead of a full hazmat suit. You can invest the one dollar and dedicate the space to one of these.

With the half masks, if you do your research, there are ways to combine filters with them to grant top tier protection. If you are that worried, it's a likely step in the right direction.

The point with gas masks are they are one of those "1% probability in SHTF" usefulness, with a whole lot of money and prep work to make it work. It's better to invest in things you actually need, like medicine, water, food, and first aid / survival training.
>>
Just got my GP-5 at a surplus store. Came with the satchel, mask, filter, and lense cover things. All originally packaged. Paper still on the filter.

Definitely worth the $15
>>
>>29728885
Thanks bb
>>
>>29728858

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-rugged-comfort-quick-latch-6500-series-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-size-medium-6502ql.html

You're welcome.
T. Google.
>>
>>29729007
Thanks to you too bb
>>
>>29728858
I work in a hazardous environment and we ware paprs , half, and full face respirators very day.

Paprs are comfy and very expensive. ($1500+). Great full faces are $100-300. Half faces are $30-200 depending on features and brand.

I would not trust my life to a mask unless it had been fit tested.

I know that my equipment filters out 100% of contamination and that it is adjust correctly, beavuse of the fit testing that is required.

I know my papr is in good qorking order because of your quarterly papr maintenance.
>>
>>29728858
what would be some good goggles then?
>>
>>29729260
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DPG82-21C-Concealer-Anti-Fog-Safety/dp/B000RKQ1O2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353385037&sr=8-2&keywords=Dewalt+work+goggles
>>
>>29728858
Even basic tear gas burns your eyes as well. Most gas/biological agents can't get into your body through your eyes as well. A full mask is definately preferable in almost every situation. Aiming a rifle in a modern gas mask is not difficult at all
>>
>>29728858
To put it simply:
Military gear is designed so that they survive long enough to complete the mission. No requirement to survive after that

OSHA standards are set so that you survive every time you use it. much higher standards.

Oh and by the way if you are using a gas mask and are not cleanly shaven, you will not get a seal. So if you have a facial hair you really don't need this or better start looking at other options
>>
>>29728858
>using "gas masks"
>not using SCBAs
stay pleb
>>
>>29729923
>using an SCBA
>implying that is good for fucking anything
>not carrying more supplies you actually need
>not having more water, filters, food, ammo, clothes, paracord, a tarp, ground sheet, sleep system, lighters, tools, etc

*actual* SHTF prep is about measuring odds and surviving. 9/10 times you would "need" a full on gas mask that have the proper filters to not die, you will die anyways because of other things mentioned in the thread (tldr: You are still contaminated)

If you are prepping for SHTF but live in the city you need to come to terms that there is a very good chance you are dead no matter what you do.

You are better off focusing on more, real tangible threats that would be likely kill you. I know having a water filter system and pump is not as tacticool as some operator gas mask from The Division, but you need water 10/10 times in SHTF, and without water you die 10/10 times.

Focus on the key elements of gear, know how to survive without them. I personally don't know how to start a fire without my tools, as I could never figure out the bow+stick trick, but that is why I carry multiple redundancies and tools for this purpose.
>>
>>29728885
>Commercial filters are better in just about every way though.

What filters should I buy?
>>
>>29731499
What do you want to block?

Just tear gas?
Any P100

Anything else i would use an OV/AG/P100

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwikzJuZ1anMAhUMRyYKHZbzDPkQFghKMAA&usg=AFQjCNHcd1dU6G-Xc3djpRQh_d3nkpH9xw&sig2=PVXzeV4-usrbkWqWyhC8FA

Nuke or other radiation. Grab a 3m-fr15 CBRN filter. But better have a few on you. In a hot zone they are rated for 15 min. At 100L/min
>>
>>29729047
Yeah the GP5 despite being really old will still work against tear gas and a lot of stuff, to be safe against more modern threats it might be worth buying a more modern surplus mask and some spare filters. You might want a to put something other than a commie filter on the GP5 though, it's debated if they're safe or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igrpWAa1PN8
>>
File: 1456793933464.jpg (57 KB, 449x314) Image search: [Google]
1456793933464.jpg
57 KB, 449x314
>>29728872
go back to tumblr niggerfaggot
>>
File: 1457556464687.jpg (33 KB, 720x706) Image search: [Google]
1457556464687.jpg
33 KB, 720x706
>need to wear eyeglasses
>have a Czech hospital gas mask that takes a couple of minutes to put on, but it fits over my glasses
>want something that's easier to put on
>buy a cm3 mask
>mfw it doesn't fit unless I take off my glasses
Fug
>>
I used to design military protection gear, inc. masks, so know some stuff....

>>29728968
This has a lot going for it, in its proposal of off shelf civ alt gear. Though military standards are some of the toughest.

>>29729007
This guys assessment of the challanges mil spec gear is good. It's all about having the right gear for the challange you are faced with. Mil spec gear covers the whole CBRN threat range, so is good, but you have a much bigger physiological burden from weight, restricted vision and importantly breathing resistance.

>>29729229
Some of the industry gear is great at protecting you. PAPRs really reduce the burden. But challange them with fallout or nerve agent and they wouldn't cut it.

>>29729867
This is partly wrong. Mil spec gear is designed to be decontaminated and reused, offering some of highest protection. Really good point on the shaving and makeing a good faces seal.

>>29730374
Yeah, if you really need a mil spec mask you're in a world of shit. what else are you wearing? a full CBRN suit? get a decon facility? know what the challange is?

So.... (IMAO) the applicability of your protective mask is totally dependent on the challange you are up against. Assess the likelyhood and pack accordingly.
>>
File: M95-Gas-Mask-Side.jpg (17 KB, 292x277) Image search: [Google]
M95-Gas-Mask-Side.jpg
17 KB, 292x277
>>29732831
>>29728858

But I didn't answer some OP questions. The M10M is a cold war era piece of kit, poorly designed and more trouble thans it worth. Is yours 2nd hand? Take a look at the face seal for bubbling caused by long term sweat exposure and at the exhuast valve for crusty shit, both signs it needs to go in the bin.

My favoured mask is the Scott M95.
https://www.scottsafety.com/en/emea/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?productdetail=M95+Full+Facepiece
Quality manufacturer, fits NATO filters, can allow you double up filters for easy time, easy to fit, good ergonomic sizing range, and you can get lens inserts for if you wear glasses. Also if you're shooting a rifle, swap filter away from that side and bingo, you can make sight vision.
>>
>>29732490
>2016
>not wearing contacts
>>
File: Hazmat_DEA.jpg (12 KB, 350x232) Image search: [Google]
Hazmat_DEA.jpg
12 KB, 350x232
>>29732989
That's a neat one. I think the only issue would be the weight on that monster.

Also question for any of you anons that know about this stuff.
If you really need a mask that covers that much, wouldn't you also required something else to cover your skin? At least in my mind if the shit you have to go through requires one like that pic instead of >>29728858 kind, you're either too late already and will die or you will need some serious cover, like those suits they use in areas with extreme chemical or biological hazard.
Also I'm kinda considering this hypothetical scenario as a SHTF situation where some nasty shit happened and not just your average factory leaking toxic material.
>>
>>29733037
>Wearing contacts in a situation where you may come into contact with an airborne chemical weapon.
>>
>>29732490
Prescription safety goggles with a half mask.

Or, alternatively, a commercial full mask. Could either fit your glasses underneath on some models, or get them made with prescription inserts.
>>
File: Onions.jpg (50 KB, 603x439) Image search: [Google]
Onions.jpg
50 KB, 603x439
>>29733049
The M95 is compact for what it is. The weight is in the filters, and you get heavier the more challanges they stop.

Re: 2nd point. It's all about the threat. If you know its just dust or tear gas then a civ half mask and goggles could do. Allowing you to remove yourself from the area. If its a presistant biological threat like an airborne virus pandemic, then it is SHTF. You need a hold up, decon and maybe access to filtered air intake. Horses for courses.
>>
the only reason I have an m40 is so I can go shoot at dem cops (cs gas) when they come take our rights.

moldy labia!

I accept if I get hit my VN im gonna die anyway
>>
>>29733049
you could probably get relocation tubes and have the filter hanging off your body instead of your face.

Anyone deal with relocation tubes on mask? Are they worth it?
>>
I get 3m masks through work.
They give us filter for paint and dust particulates.

But check the 3m catalog they make everything
>>
>>29733365
Relocation tubes replace the problems of filter (weight/bulk) with the issues of tubes getting caught on something and/or kinked/crushed. Also makes mask harder to put on. Generally not worth it
>>
>>29732989
If you can, go for masks with full face visors. Old eyespieces feel like a real chore in comparison. If you want to go the extra mile and get a military mask over civilian equipment it seems Mestel masks are easy enough to find, somewhat affordable, as comfortable as such a thing can be, and accept NATO standard cartridges. Pic related.

>>29729007
This. You super dupper military mask is wasted on CBRN threats if you don't have the equipment and training to make use of full protection and access to early warning and decontamination gear. Knowing full well that in such an extreme case I would be fucked I am content enough with 3M half masks and full masks.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.