[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gun store suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 28
File: jsaklhsfdiulhfseiuhndsaj.jpg (51 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
jsaklhsfdiulhfseiuhndsaj.jpg
51 KB, 300x225
if you could tell a gun store anything to help increase business hat would it be and why?
>>
>>29721401
t. gunshop owner
>>
Be nice to the people who come in that don't know jack shit about guns but are willing to ask questions and learn. Even if they are stupid questions that the owner thinks should have been researched before the person came in.

Seriously. I won't go to three of five gun shops in my town because when I first started shooting they treated me like some kind of fucking retard (and I knew more than average about what I wanted thanks to this board)
>>
Online/Social media presence and advertising

Considering the average age of your average gun shop employee and manager, combined with less than incredible business sense (because for a long time, and even now to a certain extent) you don't need to into differentiation, and creating that differentiation, while not particularly difficult to do if you aren't a fudd set in your ways, is a harder sell than paying someone to handle some online advertising
>>
Sell guns and ammo
>>
Be nice to your regulars
I've been going to the gunshop in my town for years
I've easily spent at least 10 grand there
They still act like zombies every time I come in
I'm not asking for a blowjob or nothin
But when I ask for 20 gauge slugs I want 20 gauge slugs not 12 gauge #3
>>
>>29721401
Variety.

Guns are expensive and people know pretty much what they want (ie a duck gun, a deer gun, a full size .45, a cc).

If you dont have it they walk. Guns are too expensive to get a full size when you want a compact etc etc

Also i know guns are cool and your hobby but stock and run the shop how the average customer wants even if you have different taste.
>>
Tell each and everyone person who comes in about how Obama and Hillary are going to be taking their guns.
>>
Have a long term plan b. Once all of the fudds in their 60-70s get too old to shoot you will no longer be able to charge such exorbitant prices, as everyone else knows how to use the internet.
>>
Offer ammunition ordering.

I am surprised nobody has done that yet.
>>
>>29721434
This.

>graduate gunsmith school at 22
>good job with no dress code
>look like a metalhead
>come home on vacation
>get treated like a little kid when I buy guns

Here I am, about to lay down 1500+ on a gun, and they're not helpful at all at best.

I've got 2 shops I got to, out of probably 15 in my area.
>>
>>29721401
Dont be a fucking asshole.

93% of gun shops are run by fudds who think they're the epitome of gun knowledge and experience and political awareness.

YEAH FUCK OBUNGER BANNING 9MM SOON AND ONLY 30.06 WILL GIT ER DUN

Make sure yourself and your employees act as closely as possible as Reid Richards- genuinely nice guy (know him), actually gives a shit about people learning and having the tools to their own success, deciding for themselves what works for them, patient as fucking fuck

That, and make sure you carry more than windham ars, glocks and rugers, and brownings
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 900x862) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 900x862
Hire people who have actually worked in retail before rather than just macho wannabe gun experts who are condescending towards customers. Like it or not, a lot of the general public are pretty scared of guns. So not only are they having to face their fears of stepping foot into a gun store, but they're also going to be nervous about spending hundreds of dollars on something completely new to them. Customer service should be the top priority. The store environment should be clean, well-lit, and modern as well. Don't intentionally make your gun store look seedy ffs.

Also, I personally hate it when gun stores keep all their merchandise on the back wall behind the counter. It makes it so you have to ask the store representatives before you can look sat anything in the store. If you're going to have your long guns having on the wall out of customer reach, at least have the prices clearly displayed beneath them where the customer can see without having to squint. This makes shopping much less stressful for the customer. I hate having to ask the sales rep for ammo as well. Most stores just keep all their ammo stacked up behind the counter where it's impossible for the customer to see what they actually have in stock. Leave the ammo on the sales floor for the customers to pick out themselves, and you'll sell a lot more of it. If you're worried about theft, hire security (which you should already have anyway).
>>
File: 1455998459319.jpg (23 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1455998459319.jpg
23 KB, 460x345
Agree with everyone in this thread.

Every and I mean every gun store where I live treats everyone like an idiot.
It's like you get a badge to become a massive asshole to customers once you work for a gun store.
Never understood that.

The biggest thing they could do is learn about this new technology called the internet.
I swear if 1 just 1 fucking gun store could master a webpage with a live inventory and checkout system they would have the market.
>>
Having a strong online presence and listing their inventory/prices on their website.

Nigger it's not fucking 2005 I'm not going to call you or god forbid walk my lazy ass all the way down there just to see if you have anything worth buying.
>>
>>29721576
>Reid Richards
Yeah except he's a condescending asshole when you're not paying him for training.
>>
>>29721401
Make sure your employees are not pressuring first time buyers into purchases they may regret.

I bought a Sig2022 in .40. Wasn't even the pro model.

Worst purchase ever.

Bought a savage axis as a bench gun.

30-06 is not a good caliber for a new shooter to start with, and sure as shit a hunting rifle is NOT a bench gun.

lost about $300 selling shit back for a 10/22 and a M&P9c.
>>
>>29721401
>Don't be fudd
>Help out young people
>Offer classes catered women and gays (One of the ranges around me did that and they're really reaping the benifits)
>Offer the ability to easily buy online from inside the store
>Hire retail workers
>Online presence
>Get a very skilled gun smith

That's all I got. Anything else?
>>
>>29721434
>>29721513
>>29721576

I just want friendly staff. You don't have to be knowledgeable if your willing to find an answer, but I nixed 4 stores from my shopping route for the way my wife was treated when shopping for a cc.
Also if you do not rent to anyone, I probably won't shop your store.
>No single white males
>You need a cc to be able to rent
>Blah blah blah.

I can understand he pov, but I reject it.
If I walk in ready to drop 800 or more on a pistol and you need anything more than an ID and maybe a backgrpund check...big maybe...just to rent a gun to see if I will like it, then I will not buy from you.

Gun stores acting like having a cc permit lands you in the "club" aggrevate me. Permits are an annoyance to me, not a sign of competency.
>>
>>29721493
Agreed.
You need a one-stop shop.

Goals:

At least 1/3 of your business plan should include smithing and reloading services.
Aftermarket support.
If you sell a product, be able to service it.
Anything less and I wonder why I didn't just buy online.

Second, offer FFL services, sell used and consignment, not just whatever Glock is pushing this month.
Encourage me to try it before I buy it.
Edjucate.
Have a range, and offer classes - Basic, Home Def, CCW, Hunter Safety, etc.
Sponsor local Church and Scouting shoots.
NRA, Eddie Eagle, GoA, local Police and Sherrifs association, VFW, etc.

Last, don't just hire a bunch of FPS idiot employees on straight commission. That's greasy as fuck and the attitude those "salesmen" project is why so many people leave and never come back.
Have some standards.
Ensure baseline knowledge, make them pass a competency test.
Put handouts, educational posters, and cheat sheets all over the place.
Also, hire some female staff, so female customers aren't so threatened. Get caught eye-banging them, and you'll also lose business from their husbands, boyfreinds, uncles, etc.
>>
Be nice, demand your employees are nice. We all know people can be stupid with guns, there is no reason not to post and closely follow safety rules. Enforce them as well just not in a get crazy and bite someone's head off way.
Don't be an asshole to women, Chinks, spics, and darkies in general, some of them have money and they appreciate respect as much as anyone.
Don't start spewing knowledge to people the moment they ask a question. I've had guys go into geopolitical ted talks when I ask if they have 9mm behind the counter.
Offer beginner classes, simple things as talks about loading, safe handling etc. If you can swing them for free you are sure to attract people that may be interested. You should keep it politics free and fact oriented, for example, "9mm has more penetration than .45... more rounds in a mag of 9mm. Usual confrontation in self defense uses... I personally prefer... but diferentes strokes..."
Coming off too strong about your opinion is a turnoff to many newbs because they are probably going to hear the exact opposite somewhere else. Then be confused.
>>
>>29721493
THIS.

Also, STOCK SOME FUCKING SURPLUS SHIT, DAMMIT.
I don't want a hunting rifle, I WANT a FUCKING Gewehr 88, or a Luger.
I don't like modern shit and I'm sick of fuckers telling me to get a Glock.
I already have a fucking CC weapon, I want a range toy.
>>
>>29722083

Yeah! Those assholes, demanding compliance with Federal and maybe State laws! Why can't they be willing to bank their future on me being an OK chap and just rend me guns willy nilly?!
>>
>>29722155
Just shut up and get a glock, Jesus Christ, you don't need a gewehr or a luger. All you need is a glock and a 12 gauge.
>>
Probably update the look and feel of your store, it doesn't have to be an i store glass monolith, maybe just dust off the shelves every once in a while, and paint.
>>
>>29722007

How the fuck do you cater a gun class to gays without liberals burning your shop down?
>>
>>29722306
You owe me $5 in blood pressure medicine.
>>
Friendly and patient staff on top of advertising
>>
>>29722488
I'll just give you some of mine. What's your address?
>>
>>29722795
>>
>>29723246

many keks!
>>
Create a decent fucking website with inventory and prices. Not that shitty 'here are the brands we stock' and when you click on it you get sent to the manufacturer's website.
>>
stop pricing guns like the internet doesnt exist, because we can all look up what guns sell for and know you are charging 40% over msrp like a bunch of fucking retard fudds
>>
Basically just everything in the thread, OP. Also, don't hire vets. I hate to say it because I am one, but vets make the worst gun salesmen. The ones I've met have been unpleasant, rude, and generally condescending.
>>
>>29721898

fucking this. it annoys me i have to email, call or show up to see if hes got what i want. and he usually does not. ive walked into the gun store TWICE and walked out with something the same day.
>>
>don't be an asshole until the customer really deserves it (even though it's painful to be nice to tards)
>offer to order shit you don't carry
>online inventory
>large price tags for guns behind the counter
>all staff should be sexy and gun savy women in sluttty attire
>have a decent gun smith
>free ice cream with gun purchases
>if you can't beat online prices how about offering training with said firearm or offer more goodies on the side like extra mags or half off new sights
>don't rape my wallet with transfer fees
>have an a10 available for rent
>>
>>29721401
Advertise your inventory online
>>
Stop fucking talking about Obama loud enough for the whole store to hear. It would be one thing to talk about policy and critique his politics, it's another to just go on about MUH DEATH CAMPS. HE GON TAKE OUR GUNS AND MAKE US ALL MUSLIM COMMUNISTS.

why would I want to do business with someone with an IQ under 70?
>>
>>29723536
id say only like 1% of shops do this, because in their cuck minds they think "if i can just get the customer in the door he will buy something" when in fact that customer is going to leave pissed at wasting his time and never return to that faggot shop again
>>
>>29722453
Weirdly enough, you don't get a lot of easily offended liberals in gun stores.
>>
My range offers classes targeted to women and free range days for women once a week.

Brings a shit load of people in
>>
>>29723900
this is actually really smart business
>>
>>29722197
Tell me which state requires all single white males to present a CCW before renting a fire arm. I will wait.
>>
>>29723742
Jesus, this. I legitimately do not like the man, and cannot wait for him to get out of office, but I will turn around and leave that area or the store entirely when I hear that shit at gun stores. We get it, he is bad. I'm here for guns though. I've got /pol/ for that shit, I don't want to hear about Agenda 23 and chemtrails.
>>
>>29721401
"stop trying to push this pile of ~$50 value beat to shit yugo SKSs, mosins, and maks with no acessories as $550 antique heirloom war trophies, i'll literally buy several per month and pay your lot rent"
>>
>>29723467
You must have been hanging out with the wrong vets.

I worked in a gun store for about 6 months. Until the last 2, every employee was a vet. Awesome sales, generally good demeanor of the counter employees, even managed to snag a few loyal customers that kept coming back to our shop because of how we presented company businesses.

The manager, a retired cop, was a total dickweed when it came to taking care of his employees, so it's no surprise his shop is in trouble after all us vets left for competitor stores, and all of those stores are doing better NOW than they were back before the migration.

If anything, customer loyalty is bought by customer service. It doesn't matter who is the employee or their background, so long as they understand customers have top priority.

Other shit like guaranteeing ammo, weapons, models, etc in stock is right there too, but without customers you can't sell your stock.
>>
>>29723246
>posting your default gateway on the internet
I shiggy diggy.
>>
>>29723759
I'm of the mindset that I should never leave a (polite, upstanding) gunshop without buying something be it a single mag, minor accessory, or box of ammo. So there's some merit to it.

But yes I've walked out of dozens and dozens with absolutely nothing and will never go back in again for poor CS or poor inventory.
>>
don't be a dick to kids that come into the store with their family.
seriously, I've seen ~14 year old kids try to start conversation with the counter dudes during a lull in business and get shunned away.
or they ask "is that a X?" and then get ignored.
that's the next generation of shooters, don't be a fucking faggot.
>>
>>29721401
Sell ammo at competitive prices. If your 9MM plinking ammo is $16 a box, I'll probably be shopping elsewhere.

If you have a range and a store, offer a free range pass with purchase of a new firearm.

Have a good gunsmith on hand.

Variety is king. Have some cheap shit and some nice shit. Surplus and modern. Tacticool and fudd.

Make sure your store doesn't smell weird.
>>
>>29722155
This, I can't tell you how many gun stores I go in basically just have the same rack of fucking shitty ARs and shotguns. I HAVE an AR already, so does everyone else. The only benefit of a brick and mortar gun store is that I can fingerfuck a bunch of surplus, pick out one with a bore I like, a stock in good condition, etc. If you're just offering the same shit brand new that I could buy online, I'm not really interested.
>>
have a variety of shit in stock.
if I just want to look at benellis, ARs, and glocks there's like 12 other stores that I can do that.
now I get that tacticool is popular but for the love of god just have something other than that shit.
if you do range/renting, variety is also key.
I wanna get an M1A, but I've never shot one, and none of my friends have one and neither do any local ranges so I'm very wary.
I get ARs and shit are popular, but not everyone wants to be a paratrooper seal ranger PJ.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 352x517) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 352x517
>>29722155
>not CCing an artillery Luger
>>
>>29722453
You use dragon dildos instead of bayonets.
>>
stop stocking for one market and one market only, here's what I mean;
>go innagunshop
>only fudd shit
>go innagunshop
>all tacticoolfag shit
>go innagunshop
>all veteran shooter shit
>go innagunshop
>all noob shit
seriously, variety is fucking key.
>>
File: guns+pawn+shop.jpg (354 KB, 700x386) Image search: [Google]
guns+pawn+shop.jpg
354 KB, 700x386
When you display your long guns, hear me out here, how about you DON'T FUCKING STORE THEM ALL PROPPED UP AGAINST THE WALL WITH THE BOTTOM FACING OUT
I CAN'T TELL WHAT HALF THAT SHIT IS FROM SIX FEET AWAY LET ALONE READ THE MICROSCOPIC TAG YOU SLAPPED ON IT
FUCK YOU PUT THEM ON THE WALL YOU FUCKER OR AT THE VERY LEAST TURN THEM SIDEWAYS
>>
>>29721401

Free bullets.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 369x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 369x394
>>29724614
Anon, prz
>>
>>29724593
Also this, please store your surplus shit out on the floor. Lock em with a cable lock through all the trigger guards or something.

I want to LOOK at all the rifles, and I don't want to sit there harassing your pissed off employee to hand me a different rifle every 5 minutes. I might not buy one, I'm just browsing most of the time. I can't tell what a good deal is from way on the other side of the counter and I can't read your tag. If I can't browse and actually look at the guns without feeling like I'm being a bother, I'll just go home.
>>
>>29721401
Train your sales people properly. I mean PAY to have them trained. They need to know the questions to identify customer needs and then ASK FOR THE SALE.
>>
have a target in a corner of store, so when I fingerfuck a gun, I don't feel fucking retarded trying to find somewhere where I'm not flagging like 8 people.
also this
>>29724648
seriously, I will feel like shit if I have to bug someone every time I see something neat I wanna look at when I'm just browsing.
oh, and see what the online prices for shit are, like gunbroker prices and shit.
if your deal is $50+ more than what I can get it online for, I'm not buying it from you.
>>
>>29721827
>I swear if 1 just 1 fucking gun store could master a webpage with a live inventory and checkout system they would have the market.
THIS
>>
>>29724702
My rule of thumb is if it's within 10% of the cheapest online, I'll get it.
>>
>>29723527
>free ice cream with gun purchases
I know you're joking, but this is actually what car dealerships do to make the customers feel comfy. They offer free coffee and snacks to customers, because they know they are potentially going to spend a lot of money here.

>>29724593
>>29724648
This, for the love of God. If I walk into a gun store with nothing but a bunch of fuddshit and generic ARs propped up against the wall, I won't bother buying anything. Just let me browse at my own leisure rather than having to ask the sales rep for every little thing. There's a reason grocery stores have all been self-service for 100 years now.
>>
Don't charge crazy amounts of money for transfers. I hate transferring shit at my LGS because they ask for $100 each time for transfers. Some of the /k/ommandos here get charged $25. Seriously WTF. Also don't overcharge on milsurp. No one wants to buy a beat up rifle with a shot out bore for $600+.
>>
>>29721827
holy fuck, this.
I went on their website to look at parts for a 10/22 shits and giggles build, and it showed they had them.
go into store, they don't have them and I found out they stopped carrying that shit like 3 months ago.
active fucking inventory online, holy fuck how hard is this?
>>
A personality that's warmer than "Dead fish in Alaska" please.

I'm noguns, but trying to learn before I buy. I feel so awkward when I go to a local store. They just sit behind the counter and watch me like I'm about to grab that rifle off the rack and try shooting someone.

And it really deters me from asking questions. I know, how spineless, too shy to ask questions. Being monitored by an old dude with little more than a "welcome" really makes it hard.

Thankfully, they have a younger Marine vet, and he's pretty welcoming.
>>
>>29721401
There is a gun store nearby where I live that I think has a great model. They have almost nothing in the store. A few boxes of ammo, a couple of engraved receivers, gunsmithing equipment, and some accessories. But they have a massive online store that they share with a few other shops in the area. So you go online, buy the rifle, and it gets shipped to the shop. Then you drive over and pick it up with no hassle. Never waited more than 5 minutes to get a gun.

The store also does $15 FFL transfers. The fee is waived if you buy from the store, but get something shipped in from elsewhere and it's the cheapest transfer I've seen around. And if you have a CHL/LTC, it's only $10. Great model for getting custom from people who already know what they want and don't want to go to eight stores looking for it.
>>
File: IMAG1250.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1250.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
>>29724810
Holy fuck. THIS. I dislike going into a store and they're all older men who stare at you bug eyed. Makes me self conscious about my movements and whether I even want to stick around. At least my favorite gun store knows me by name and occasionally throws me a freebie on gunsmithing work.
>>
stock parts as well as full guns.
I like going to my LGS as I know them and everything, and its a small business, but I wanna do an AR build and they just don't have parts so I have to get shit online.
not everyone wants to do gunsmith AR builds.
I'm not saying you have to stock everything, but at the very least stock trigger groups and uppers, or hopefully more individual parts like BCGs and barrels.
>>
I'd also suggest having super cheap rental fees. Basically, change for the amount of time it will take to clean the gun and add 10% for wear and tear. And don't even prohibit outside ammo. Just don't allow reloaded or steel cased stuff. Chances are, you'll make quite a bit selling ammo to people who either didn't bring their own, or shot dry and want to keep going. But don't over charge for it, either, or people will only bring their own and will complain about the prices in reviews. Try to keep it around average price for target stuff.

And if someone is looking to buy a gun you happen to have for rent, let them shoot it for free with a complementary mag. Chances are it will either seal the deal or keep you from having to deal with people trying to return the weapon. I used to live near a place that did this and it became my go to fun store.
>>
File: luger.jpg (51 KB, 751x491) Image search: [Google]
luger.jpg
51 KB, 751x491
>>29724810
>go to a store you've never purchased anything from
>owner says hello and waits for you to ask a question
>you don't ask questions because you're nervous
>leave and repeat

Holy shit this is advanced level autism senpai
>>
>>29721827
If you live near Houston, I suggest New World Ordinance. They have exactly what you're talking about and then some.
>>
>>29724409
im the same way, it's all about the CS for me. i'll stop by my local shop every once in a while to see if anything good/unique used items/consignment are available. i love that shop because everyone is super nice and friendly/helpful. so i always buy something small even if i didnt need it right away, like a bottle of cleaner or some extra brushes/patches.

i have several shops blacklisted just because of their shit-tier customer service/attitude. so i'd say that's probably the biggest mistake gunshops make, and it's a reflection of management. if they are too stupid to keep shit-tier employees on the payroll, then they deserve to reap the results
>>
As a gun shop employee in a (IMO, of course--- corroborated by people telling me "Hey you guys are really nice! Especially after the guys at "****"" I digress... Anyway) halfway decent shop in terms of customer service and selection... Please at least try to dispel the aura of all customers being morons.

Protip, I can be dumb as a customer in other retail settings, we all can be

But it's things like, literally cutting your concealed pistol license in half, and only carrying half with you, and then when I say

>Sir, the back side of your CPL is missing, this isn't a valid document without it
>Oh yeah, you mean with the signature?
>Yes
>I keep that at home

Don't be that customer who then has to retrieve the other side of his CPL from home. And you know what, just don't cut important documents in half, especially when it's a part that you know proves its authenticity
>>
>>29724755
the overcharging for transfers is because the LGS retard management thinks they will lose out on business by people not buying their overpriced shit. which is hilarious because in the end, they burn their marketshare of transferees and inventory purchasing customers
>>
>>29724982

There's a difference between an emotionless "hello" and a "Hello, anything I can help you with?"

Customer service isn't that hard, man. And the fact you get eye-fucked the moment you walk in and until you leave doesn't help.
>>
>>29725080
who the fuck cuts their shit in half?
I have never encountered that breed of retardation before.
here's a big one that happens to me;
>go to gunshop
>hey can I look at a shield in 9?
>what you really need here is the kimber super carry
>no thanks, can I look at the shield?
>repeat ad infinitum
if I tell you I want to look at a specific thing, just hand it to me and tell me the features.
however, if I say "I'm looking for a subcompact 9mm for CC", then start rattling shit off.
>>
>>29721401
>if you could tell a gun store anything to help increase business hat would it be and why?

Offer cheap fees to try out different handguns, something like being able to rent 4 different pistols for only $20
>>
>>29721401
Start selling alcohol, tobacco, girly mags, animu, and mexican food. Also do showing patriotic movies while running a BBQ outdoors followed by raffling off an AA gun.
>>
>>29721401
Try to compete with online prices from major dealers (not once-upon-a-time gunbroker sales).

Display your prices with local sales tax included.

Don't overcharge for transfers.

When you get gun into stock, make sure to oil and grease it. Nothing worse for a customer than pulling a gun down to examine it, and seeing rust and decay from basic gunstore neglect. If I examine a gun and can clearly see that the shop has properly greased and oiled a gun, I'm more likely to be willing to pay a little bit over the internet price, just because I know the one I'm looking at is in good condition.
>>
have snacks or food trucks come or something, the only thing worse than running out of ammo while shooting is getting hungry.
>>
File: 1431041357673.jpg (824 B, 26x19) Image search: [Google]
1431041357673.jpg
824 B, 26x19
>>29721827
>I swear if 1 just 1 fucking gun store could master a webpage with a live inventory and checkout system they would have the market.

THIS

THIS

THIS

It isn't even fucking difficult to do. Why does every gunshop insist on having a shitty website that doesn't even show their hours?

I feel like I can make bank if I learn web programming and go gunshop to gunshop unfucking their shit sites
>>
>>29725186
Gun shop =/= gun range
Even a shitty gun range will ALWAYS pull in customers.
>>
There's a lot of things I hate about my LGS, but what I do like it how they cover the sales tax if you pay in cash. That mitigates the cost of not shopping online a little bit.
>>
>>29725196
people that think they can just on a whim run around and fix entrenched code bases are the reason that professional software consultancies have an endless stream of contracts to unfuck shitty broken software.
>>
>>29725200
I'm thinking about my LGS which does both so I'm kinda applying it to them.
but for shops only, offer me deals, like if I buy a certain pistol, offer a box or two of plinking ammo for free.
bonus points if it's deals of the month so people are more inclined to sign up to your newsletter or whatever to get notice of the deals early.
>>
Quit being total assholes and talking down to people who appear under 40.
>>
>>29724702
Target is a good idea anon. I was just thinking about this the other day when I was innagunstore. Ended up just pointing at the ground, trying to be polite.

There should be a changing room type of area, with mirrors so you can see how cool you look shouldering a rifle.
>>
Does anyone here actually have a good gunshop they go to? How is it?

Bonus points if it has a good indoor range with reasonable fees
>>
>>29725246

>walk in with Nugget
>walk out with 48.5 inch erection
>>
>>29725246
>in bass pro a few weeks ago
>finger fucking a pistol from the case
>pointing at the ground so as to be polite
>look up
>guy down the counter checking out a rifle is scoped in right on my fucking dome
Is this shit a thing?
>>
have tables near the counter/near the bathroom so I can set my shit down when I sign in and so I don't have to carry all my shit in to go wash my hands or piss.
>>29725246
right? I always feel like a dumbass trying to find somewhere to point it and test it without flagging people.
a mirror room would be pretty cool too.
oh, offer manuals for sale for various guns.
so if you get something online and it doesn't have a manual, you can just run in and get it.
bonus points if you have ones for milsurp that are harder to find.
>>
File: 1453339267835.png (109 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
1453339267835.png
109 KB, 500x272
>>29725294
>go to bass pro to see a shield
>some fucker is flagging my face with a tikka rifle
>go to lgs
>guy behind the counter sweeps me three times with three different guns
>>
>>29721807
So leave the guns and the ammo in reach of customers. What could go wrong?
And the staff is the security. Cameras aside, I don't think I've seen a gun store with less than two people standing attentively.
Fucking idiot.
>>
>>29725267
There's none around here that has everything I look for.
>one has amazing prices on guns (better than online), ludicrously priced indoor range and ammo, workers are assholes
>one is more of an outdoor/cowboy store with a gun section, guys are awesome but their prices are pretty bad
>one has shit prices and super asshole workers
>>
>>29721434
I'm a 27 yo infantry vet and hunter, bought dozens of guns and I still get treated like shit in some stores the first time I visit.
>>
>>29722084
>Have a range, and offer classes - Basic, Home Def, CCW, Hunter Safety, etc.
>Sponsor local Church and Scouting shoots.
>NRA, Eddie Eagle, GoA, local Police and Sherrifs association, VFW, etc.

Do you realize how expensive all of that is?
>>
>>29721953
You're the idiot who bought them.
>>
>>29721953
>bought a .40 because he was "pressured"

lmao, grow a pair
>>
>>29723527
>large price tags for guns behind the counter
Holy fuck this. I don't know how many times I've walked into a shop and spent half the time leaning over the counter squinting at shit.
>>
>>29725364
that shit will pay for itself within a year or being introduced.
if I had a LGS/range with a gunsmith, classes, somewhere to eat, was associated with scouting/vfw/osu, I wouldn't go anywhere else.
>>29725368
he was a first time purchaser, and not everyone researches the fuck out of everything.
as an employer, always make sure your salespeople are putting customer satisfaction > commission
>>
>>29721401
Hire black people to move into the neighborhood.
>>
>>29721807
a lot of places do this because of regulations
>>
>>29725393
He's right though, even as an owner of several guns it's pretty stressful fingerfucking a gun with some pushy clerk there staring at you wanting you to tell him to ring it up
>Can I see that glock 19 you got th-
>YEAH SO LET ME JUST TAKE THIS TO THE FRONT AND WELL GET YOU ALL SET
>Actually I just wanted to look at-
>OH MAN YOURE GOING TO LOVE THIS THING MY UNCLE RICH HAS ONE OF THESE
>No but I wanted to just-
>HEY GOT YOUR ID ON YOU SO WE CAN GET THAT BACKGROUND CHECK STARTED?
>>
>>29721401
Have a good website and carry fucking crush washers for my God damn motherfucking AR15.

And when I ask for that God damn motherfucking crush washer, make sure the employee knows what the fuck that actually is.
Looking at you turners

t. Angry shopper
>>
>>29725440
Sounds like you are a bitch m8.
>>
>>29721401
Complimentary customer blowjobs from your full staff of attractive women. I'd be in there everyday.
>>
>>29725333
or you could put them in little clear case things like they do with watches at macys and shit.
don't put the guns just out for any retard or chilluns to grab, but have them presented and easy to see.
>>29725440
holy shit this.
always make sure that customer satisfaction >>>> commission
I fucking hate when I ask to see something and all they say is "nono you really need to look at [random other gun I don't want]"
usually done by fudds but younger dudes have done it to me too.
>>
>>29721898
This!

Also, be competitive with online pricing. I'm not saying to match the lowest price but don't be charging MSRP either.

And don't try to make too much money off transfers. I found a place with $15 transfers (everyone else charges 30-40 around here) and every single one I've been there I must've spend 50+ on other items. Now they're my go to store
>>
>>29725080
As someone who worked as a bagger, cashier, and then customer service clerk at a grocery store, you're not alone, however if I had EVER treated a customer like gunshop employees treat them I'd have been fired within a month.
>>
>>29725463
I mean, I'm not actually going to get bullied into making a purchase, but I appreciate when the guy I'm dealing with is informative and not obviously trying to just push a quick sale on me. This applies to things other than guns
>>
>>29725452
Im surprised at how many gun store clerks and even mechanics have no idea what a roll pin, crush washer or set screw are
>>
>>29725108
This.
>a shop makes maybe $100 per firearm if they're lucky
>with just four $20 transfers they could easily make up that
>the people that transfer firearms and buy them from the shop are largely going to be different transactions anyway.
>>
1) Keep your political shit to yourself. I don't care if you think 'king obama' is a nigger, but it's not helping the reputation when moderates or even (true) liberals want guns and have to hear that shit.
2) Young people are going to be your customers for the next 40-60 years if you treat them right. Otherwise, they (we) fuck-off to a different store.
3) Have a balance of stuff. Mix between AR tactical stuff, AK/Milsurp, Murrica fudd durr hun'ing, and the like.
4) Offer up genuine knowledgeable help, or say that you'll find out the information. Making up bullshit snake oil shit can be seen through really easy.
5) Discuss why you think a certain way when giving advice instead of 'hurr durr because I said so and I know because I'm on this side of the counter'.

Given all that, I've met some pretty cool gun store owners that actually do have some good knowledge to offer to the customers.
>>
File: moths.gif (580 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
moths.gif
580 KB, 480x360
It's simple desu; it's a retail environment. What works in retail? Being friendly but not overbearing, knowledgeable but not pretentious. If I want to look around without being pestered constantly I will be more comfortable. If I want to ask a question about something I want you to be available to ask and know your product.

You're selling a product to me and I've already done the hard part of walking into your store versus shopping online. Continuing on that, you need to give me a reason to shop at your brick and mortar versus online. Price is the obvious variable, then add-ins like ammo, targets, cleaning supplies, etc. And finally leading back to what I said in the beginning, customer service. Know what you're talking about and help me buy my gun that I clearly am interested in getting.
>>
>>29725333
I said have the guns within reading distance, not just unlocked and out in the open. And a lot of stores do keep ammo out in the open, but others keep it where the customer can't even see it.

The staff also can't act as security when they're trapped behind the counter, dumbass.
>>
>>29725530
Never really experienced the political shit from a gun store employee, but so much this on your 2-5.
>>29725530
>2) Young people are going to be your customers for the next 40-60 years if you treat them right. Otherwise, they (we) fuck-off to a different store.
I made a thread about this a few weeks ago and got absolutely blasted by a bunch of fudds
>>
>>29721401
STOP SELLING ABOVE MSRP
>>
>>29721401

Stock up on lots of types of ammo. Big box stores might have better prices, but I should be able to go in your store and find a bunch of different ammo types in your store. Cheap FMJ, to every conceivable flavor of personal defense JHP. I want to be able to say "do you have Hornandy Critical Duty in 10mm auto?" And you say "yes, we do"

If you say "no we don't" you better follow that with "but I can order that right now". Yes, I might pay a 10 percent markup or whatever to cover your costs, but you have to catch a customer when they want something, right at the moment, capitalize on their impulses and give them great service. They will feel good, and you just scored a guaranteed sale.

Acknowledge my existence. I know this guy in front of me wants to see every gun in the case, it might take a while, thats fine. At least say " Hello! Welcome to Bubba Fudds guns and stuff! I will be right with you!". Maybe, and this might be INSANE have a ticket machine, like at a customer service department and a seating area. You take a number, have a seat, read "Guns and Ammo" and then its YOUR TURN. You get to go up and get to finger fuck all the 9mm subcompacts in the case until you find one you like.
>>
order shit you don't have in stock if I ask for it, and keep the order fee reasonable.
I went to order the cool M1 Carbine stock for my 10/22 and they wanted a 50% order fee plus the price of the stock.
left and ordered it off brownells and got it straight to my door.
>>
>>29724435
>range pass with gun purchase
Nearest gun store does that. I like it though I've only been able to use the pass once. It's good for a month. Since it's an indoor range the only limits on ammo are the usual no steel core, incendiary, and so on.

Otherwise I have to agree with other anons.
>provide excellent customer service
>BIG price tags, I can see well enough to drive and shoot, not well enough to view atoms with my bare eye
>Willing to order
>stock lots of ammo, especially cheap shit
>don't price too high over MSRP, I understand you need to make a living, but I also need to buy food

I also think it would be a good idea to do what some other anons suggested and not only have women working there but also offer classes specifically for women. It would probably also help if you had holsters to women to use for CC. Free range days could also help bring in business. Especially since I guarantee most people will rent a gun and then buy your cheap ammo rather than bringing in their personal firearms and ammo (assuming they have either).
>>
Not every gun store in Texas is that bad, but I've been to a few wear because of my age they have treated me like I'm a retard.

>22 whitey
>6'3, 6'5 in boots or sneakers
>save money for dream gun
>MK23 .45
>have 4K plus in burner bucks
>dress well for purchase
>go inna store with muh dream
>walk up to non-busy worker
>hello sir. Do you still have muh dream in stock
>"how old are you?"
>22. Hand over ID
>checks it like I killed someone earlier today
>"what gun again?"
>Mk23, HK .45
>"You don't have enough kid."
>What's the price sir?
>*mumble mumble*
>Sir? *pulling wallet out fulla cash
>"I said you don't have enough kid. You want to buy something else?"
>Not really. Have a good day.

Still don't have a MK23. I know its a range queen, but I want to find a store that doesn't treat me like I'm 4 when I ask for a specific prduct.
>>
>>29725333
Aside from .22's back when they were scarce, most stores around here have ammo out on shelves. What oppressed state/nation do you live in?
>>
>>29726169

What part of Texas?
>>
>>29725364
You asked for suggestions.
I said "goals", not due-outs and deliverables.
You might consider some bootstrap strategies if cost is the main issue.
Maybe partner with a local range or other funshop?
A lot of people and organizations are willing to volunteer if there's something init for them.
You ever try the "trial offer" rotation game? Call it local market penetration, auditions or advertising.
>>
>>29726169

gun store employees are always filled with blockheads idk why it's like a law or something
>>
>>29726334
90% it was carters country guns or something like that. I don't even go to houston anymore because I don't know anyone there anymore. Most of their stock was random crap, some expemsive AR's and I think they had a single p90
>>
>>29721401
Hand out informational pamphlets, you can print them on your printer.

It will get them interested, like we are.

Might have to pull up some threads from the /k/ archive if you want to compile your own. I would look for posts around 2011-2013 for good material.

You can also set up a flat screen and play some informative youtube videos on it all day, I would probably be glued to a stream of hickock45 shooting AK's and Glock brand Glocks.
>>
File: AK service manual magazines.jpg (416 KB, 1681x982) Image search: [Google]
AK service manual magazines.jpg
416 KB, 1681x982
>>29726399
people would probably nerd sperg over a translated USSR AK manual too
>>
I'm glad I'm not the only one who exclusively deals with jackasses at the lgs.
>Hello, may I take a look at [whatever gun] you have there?
>snaps at me "HOW OLD ARE YOU"
>25
>WELL YOU DON'T LOOK 25, YOU GOT ANY ID ON YOU?
>Hand it to her, she looks it over thoroughly and gives it the bend test to make sure I didn't make this thing out of a cereal box
>angrily hands it back to me
>angrily hands me the gun
>I fingerfuck it and like the thing, but say no thanks
>go buy it online for a higher price because I didn't want to give that cunt my business
Fuck LGS's. Unless you're really lucky they're staffed by a bunch of asshole fudds.
>>
Obviously free shots of the cheapest vodka you can get a hold of. A drunk customer is an impulsive one.
>>
>>29724969
>And don't even prohibit outside ammo. Just don't allow reloaded or steel cased stuff
What are you gonna do, inspect everyone's bags and shit as they come in to make sure they didn't bring in a fucked up load?
>>
>>29726396
I've already said it in this thread, but I like New World Ordnance up in north Houston. You order what you want online (the store has no inventory on site), set up an appointment to pick it up, walk in, fill out a 4473, and walk out with the gun. Prices are pretty good and consistently 10% below MSRP. I think they even have a MK23 in stock.

Also do the cheapest FFL transfers in the area.
>>
>>29726486
You ask the people what kind of ammo they're using. People don't tend to lie about that. And if you happen to notice someone shooting steel cased ammo after they told you they weren't, you kick their asses out. It works in every range in the area that prohibits steel cased ammo around here.
>>
>>29721401
>Large and easily visible price tags
Never understood why gunshops would put tiny tags that are facing the wrong way half the time on their behind the counter guns.
>>
>>29726559
Steel case sucks, but just curious why would you ban it at a range?
>>
stop fucking using pricetags, use the price things grocery stores use, because;
pricetags
>usually too small
>somehow always end up behind the gun so you can't read them
>illegible because bubba can't fucking write
versus the price things stores use;
>big and clear
>fixed position so they can't flip around
>printed and easy to read, no bubba involved
>>
Go big on the store's services. If you can do stuff other than sell guns you're putting yourself ahead of the competition.
>>
>>29726635
range owner can't take it home and reload with it
>>
File: 1334066397053.jpg (99 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1334066397053.jpg
99 KB, 300x300
>>29724433
this. ive worked at a fun shop for two years and honestly this is the most fun i have with customers. they're still malleable and its easy to strike up interest and enthusiasm when you show them and explain how cowwadooty guns work IRL.

when i got back stateside after college and went to fun shops, i was treated like a no-nothing piece of shit. this is NOT something i want to pass on to any person i help over the counter.
>>
>>29725501
Moreover, it's a completely different customer base that you've got walking into your place of business viewing your entire inventory of mags, accessories, guns, etc while they wait for the 4473. It's a win win, but noooo, can't have that.
>>
>>29726169
>Not showing him the money first, asking the price again, and then telling him you'd be back if you couldn't find it at that price somewhere that took you seriously.

Now he's just going to tell his friends about the broke ass kid who wanted to buy a an MK23.

Assuming any of that happened.
>>
File: 20160323_195621.jpg (919 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160323_195621.jpg
919 KB, 2560x1440
>>29724433
Dub dubs of absolute truth.
>>
>>29725080
>CPL

you in WA?
>>
>>29726399
Holy fuck dude do You want to manage my gun store bro? Whats your email?
>>
>>29726798
right?
you make sure that family comes back if the kid likes it, you secure someone in the gun community, and you get to educate people.
I'm not saying you have to fucking give them all your attention but if they say hi or ask what something is, at least give them an answer.
>>
>>29726275
Florida. Either the guns are on the floor or the ammo is.
>>
>>29725479
Glass cases are common as fuck. Or on the floor locked with a cable.
>>
>>29721807
>If you're going to have your long guns having on the wall out of customer reach, at least have the prices clearly displayed beneath them
You inferred that the better option was to have them within customer reach.
>>
>>29722129

>geopolitical TED talks when I ask if they have 9mm behind the counter.

Underrated post.
>>
>>29725109
You just gotta use the letterkenny greeting. "Hey howre doing?"
Which is followed by "notsobad, yourself?"
The reply to which is simply "notsobad"
>>
File: 1366940425968.png (94 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1366940425968.png
94 KB, 640x640
>>29726869
exactry. its crazy how many kids actually have guns now; one of my favorite and most memorable experiences behind the counter was talking to a kid and his dad about guns. the kid was a pretty down-to-earth nice guy just like his dad, who had no problems buying his son shitloads of guns. i wouldnt doubt him having more guns than me or my friends do.
>>
File: IMAG0273.jpg (2 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0273.jpg
2 MB, 2368x4224
>>29725479
Yeah but that seems a little pricey. I'm liking the spartan look that gun stores are adopting.
>>
>>29725567
You get treated like shit at gun stores don't you?
>>
>>29721493
Agreed

I have yet to buy a gun in an actual gun store due to their shitty prices. My local range/shop has plain Jane P226R for $1100. Noped right the fuck out and bought a brand new one for $750 on gunbroker.

The only local shop I give any business is just for FFL transfers, and that's because the owner is a former Sheriff's Deputy with my department.
>>
>>29726497
Thanks man. I'll look into that.

>>29726816
I'll admit I could have done that to avoid this BS, but telling someone the price of a gun takes seconds. Regardlesa of if I can or can't afford it.
>>
>>29726798
If not in the states, where did you work where you had a great experience with kids? Just curious. I was under the impression that most countries had an adults only legal paperwork tightly regulated justify your intentions in triplicate type of environment.

I'm a burger so forgive my ignorance but I thought that "gun culture" was a more or less strictly American thing.
>>
>>29721401
Stock the good cheap 22 ammo (winchester etc.) for double the normal price.

That way people can actually buy it.
>>
>>29726940
The gun industry is ripe for a heavily capitalised corporate McDonald's style franchise business. Low prices, good service, and consistent nationwide experience.

LGS would be BTFO
>>
>>29727290
LGSs fucking suck, in every way. ludicrous prices and get treated like a child by a bunch of fudds.

Yeah, I'll order at home for way cheaper
>>
File: 1460864013716.png (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460864013716.png
84 KB, 500x500
>>29721401
Stop acting like customers just barged in on you in shitter, and start checking the information you intend to spew at someone.

Most lgs owners I've talked to recently seem bitter as fuck and only happy when talking to sommeone who knows diddlyshit. Seem like grifty pawnshop owners expanded into full gunstores during the guns and ammo price changes.

"0 information" gun owners.
>>
>>29726660

This SO MUCH, its 2016, why are we using an inventory system from 1890?

Just a few gripes:
> Bad Store Layout
> Overpriced FFL transfers ( Depending on what you get, it's like paying sales tax twice )
> High Prices and Poor Selection
> Extremely sketchy people (Fudds, Kids, Lids, and Space Cadets)
> Dirty Shop / Visible surface rust on firearms
The last one was WTF tastic. Not a good way to keep and get customers.
>>
>>29726635
A range usually bans them because they can't be reloaded. But the original conversation was about ammo allowed for rented guns, and you don't want people using crappy rounds in your weapon.
>>
>>29727410
>because they can't be reloaded
*sold
>>
>>29727216
the experience i talked about in my post was stateside. i just like to be nice to everybody i meet until they give me a good enough reason not to.
>>
Know your target audience.

Stop stocking shit i can buy on amazon for much less.

Stock powder and other things that require a $25 hazmat fee.

Stock the ammo walmart does not.

Set a price pf $30 for transfers and register with buds and gallery of guns.

Fire 75% of your staff.

Build an indoor range.
>>
>>29727474
You sell spent cases because they can be reloaded. If they can't be reloaded, they can't be sold. Therefore, reloading is the important part. And I know at least one range that does reload some of the brass.
>>
if possible, test all products you get in.
scopes, safes, etc.
if you as an owner won't stand behind the product you're selling, don't sell it.
>>
Know your competitors. Price shop them weekly.

Do online sales.

No reason you should have a gun broker acount with all your invintory listed
>>
>>29721401
I'd bet it's been said a lot already, but good customer service! Being an elitist asshat only hurts you and your profit.

I took my first gun safety class, CCWL class, and regularly practice at the same gun range all because of one reason; they were friendly. They knew a great deal about guns and helped me find one that suited my needs, and were more than happy to teach me to use it. It's been 4 years, and I now attend amateur competition shooting matches wearing their company shirt because they were so great to me when I knew nothing.

Treat customers right and they'll stick with you. Loyalty means a lot to people.
>>
Specalize. If possible.

If you can open a pistol range, sell pistols and do ccw classes.

If no one else in your area carries much in the way of sporting shotguns. Make that your nitch.

No one has much for benchrest or precision shooting? Make that a focus.

You can do the the whole 3 gun and taticool but that may be done to death in your area.

Your going to beat on hunting by the big boxes.

But you can offer other services, like taxidermy.

Own some land? Build a range or make a hunting lodge.
>>
>>29727335
See gander mtn, bass pro, academy, cabellas.
>>
>>29727727
I somewhat disagree, I'd prefer an LGS to have a little bit of everything, but if you are big enough to have smaller stores across the city/state, then do this with those smaller ones.
if you have a big range/store thing, and are a rich fuck, consider putting a small restaurant next to your range, or have a food truck come.
why?
well something that sucks is getting hungry while shooting, and I can't eat on the firing line at most places, so it means I have to pack my shit up and go into the store or leave.
and if I'm packing my shit up, I mind as well leave and get some real food, and then you lose money because I'm not buying ammo and am less likely to buy other shit.
but if you have food on property, I can stay and spend more money.
>>
Get a website.

Make sure I can find you on Google. Make sure I can easily find your store hours and address and that they are up to date.

You would be surprised how many places can't follow those things
>>
>>29724758
Why didn't you pick up a phone and take 10 seconds to call them instead of wasting even more time/gas/effort driving there and back disappointed? You want it to be on the internet with live updates but completely neglect the fact that telephones are a thing
>>
>>29727727
Most people would prefer you generalise and then order in your specialist stuff.
>>
I live in Houston Texas. If anyone there is in search for a good gun store check out AGR Outdoors over on Cypress N Houston just north of 290.
They're amazing, good price, and helpful as fuck just dont talk to the blonde girls who work there.
>>
>>29725479
>>29726966
An alternative could be doing something similar to what Game Stop does for video games, they leave the game cases out so you can read the back of the box, but when you want to buy, they put the disc in the case. LGSs could do something like that pretty easily. Leave the gun on display, for people to touch or whatever, but keep the bolt behind the counter.

I assume that one of the reasons why guns are behind the counter isn't for safety, it's because they don't want their shit getting scratched to shit. Not sure how you could overcome that without some kind of case protecting the merch.
>>
>>29721401
Lower your prices and hire more young people and women who are less likely to make anyone who isn't an old, white man feel alienated
>>
>>29728287
I live in Houston as well. Thank you for the suggestion
>>
>>29726169
if people are going to be assholes like that, even if they did have it in stock i wouldnt buy it from them, fuck them. would have just shown a shitload of cash, then asked to see manager and explained how you are going to go out of your way to buy from another shop because that employee was such a dick (while pointing at him)
>>
>>29725498
It's awful
>>
>>29721434
>>29721473
>>29721513

Yes! pretty sure more will post along these lines. My recent experience was a couple days ago at a gun store in east Texas, where I have already made a purchase and they'd seen me a few times. I bring a friend with me to see if they had anything new, and the lady and younger guy don't acknowledge me, say hello, ask if I'd like to take a look at anything while we browsed the cases. Just stared off into space and went back and forth doing little shit. Tried to ask questions about guns in the display case, he gave short, punchy, not really helpful answers, all while staying planted in the same spot. I kind of wanted to hold it and get a feel for it, but they made me feel to uncomfortable to ask. I pretty much vowed to never spend any more money with or recommend them to anyone again. Love the Glock 22 I got from them, but there are other places to buy guns. I live in Texas, after all.
>>
>>29728287
>AGR Outdoors
I'll have to check them out next weekend. I'll be damned, though, if anything good in Houston isn't always at least 20 minutes away.
>>
>>29727919
The stores that i know, that have been in business for 25+ years, making profit and consistantly are being refered to as the go to shops are not the general lgs.

Everyone can carry glocks, s&w and ruger.

Not very many shops are stocking the full line of berreta shot guns, shot shell reloading components or 40 different types of powder and every bullet offered by speer, berger, Sierra, hornady, ect. Dillion reloaders and dies grom every company.

See Grafs in St. Charles MO
>>
>>29726950
I seriously thought i was the only one watching this show.

Also, after reading most of this thread I'm glad my gun shop is decent.
>not too big of a selection, but prices are fair
>transfer fees are $15 flat
>Shoot any ammo other than flammable stuff at the in-house range
>Weekly instruction courses for cheap
>daily specials on the range through out the week

Seriously, if you live in South Florida, check out gun world. At least the deerfield one is legit.
>>
I worked at a gun store that was well run.

Had some strictly enforced rules.
1. No talking politics
2. Every customer is greated and thanked
3. Never assume anything about a customers finances.
( had guys in ratty jeans and tshirts drop 4 grand for a scar, scope, mags and ammo regularly.)

We were not commisioned sales, but we did make bonus for selling varrious things. ( like add ons or manufacturer kick backs or sales competitions)

Every one had to be dress in at least clean polos and slacks.

We would give free lessons to new shooters. ( had a 15 lane range)

Everyone who bought got 1 hr of free range time. And a discountt on memberships ( if they bought membership within 15 days)

New shooters / gun owners were given a free care kit that was baranded with store logo. Had a small bottle of clp , cleaning kit, ear muffs and glasses. And shown in private room how to clean and maintain their gun. We would show them. Then hand hold them through cleaning it the first time.

Every gun came with a company card eith our hours and phone numbers.

If a shooter had issues with a gun we would help them out.

Had outside instructors and groups thay would come in and use our class rooms and range. Their info and times were posted.

Had new shooters , womens only, ccw, nra pistol, how to, varrious classes and groups.

Sales force was younger mix of races, sexes and backgrounds.

Had free coffee , bottled water.
Had microwave and refregerator for the local police patrol and ems team to use. ( nice to keep them close by)
>>
>>29727573
>>29727474
>>29727410
Okay , let me just go on a rant here

It's fucking bull shit that when I bring my revolver to a range, you threaten to kick me out because I save my spent casings, instead of dumping them on the ground, and same goes for the steel cased ammo as well. If I wanna put holes in paper, I'm gonna use cheap ammo.

I mean it's bullshit, I fucking pay your exhorbrant fees so I can shoot off a few boxes during the week, because I don't wanna drive all the way out innaswamp. I should be able to shoot what I want as long as it's safe.

Seriously, if I'm paying good money to go to your range, my wheel gun casings are just that. MINE. I'm keeping them. Plus, you're not allowed to bring your own targets, you have to buy their overpriced paper. Fuck that noise I need a better range during the weekdays.
>>
>>29729163
Easy solution, if they tell you that tell them to fuck off, give you a refund, and you're never coming there again.
>>
>>29729163
What kind of shitty range does that? Mine has no steel cased rifle, but you can shoot steel case pistol all day, and you can keep your cases, and pick up other peoples, not sure why they would do that
>>
>>29728998
Fuck that sounds awesome. I'd quit my day job that pays good to work at a gun store like that.
>>
>>29724969
>implying ranges clean their rental guns

>implying rental ranges dont charge an extra $5-10 a box on the ammo they require you to use in their rentals

i have yet to find a non-shitty rental range
>>
File: thatsweetnovemberjuliet.jpg (67 KB, 420x700) Image search: [Google]
thatsweetnovemberjuliet.jpg
67 KB, 420x700
>all these fags bitching about no steel case
>mfw lgs allows any ammo except incendiary/explosive/tracer
>>
>>29729190
Yeah, but I'm such a pussy when it comes to those things. I come from a liberal family, so confronting someone with a gun about a problem makes my primal liberal senses go off. I mean, I realize nothing will happen, but I just gotta break that fear. I'm always glad to see the LGS employees open carrying even though it makes me nervous. And bonus if they're friendly, I actually feel more safe.

Either way those ranges have lost my business.
>>
>>29728998
see that shit is what will make you successful in the long run. because now you created a repeat customer, who is going to come back for accessories/training/supplies. instead of treating it like a one-off sale like most faggot gunshops

especially important with new gun owners, who are impressionable and also dont already have built in allegiances to other vendors/shops
>>
Shut the fuck up about politics. Thats not why I go to a gun shop.

Make your prices clear. Prices for everything, including ffl's.

If you dedicate 60% of your floor space to shit like fudd apparel, don't be surprised when you can't turn a profit. Per square foot of retail space, you're going to make more from guns and ammo. Its the bread and butter.

For people who travel a lot, its important to have pre-printed sheets of info on where local courthouses are to get permits, what the local laws are for waiting periods, etc. Not everyone who walks into your shop grew up in the same state, so keep that in mind.
>>
make it clear when certain things are FFL (not everyone knows a suppressor is FFL) but also show that an FFL is just an extra 200 bucks and paperwork, and that it's not a fucking boogeyman.
>>
>>29729338
NFA. Not FFL.
>>
File: 144743191896.png (117 KB, 724x724) Image search: [Google]
144743191896.png
117 KB, 724x724
>>29729221
Idk dude, but it was some massive bull. Maybe I should call them, and let them know about that, see if that's policy, or just one employee getting wrong. He was kinda fuddy.

He asked what kind of pistols I was shooting and both of his responses fucking disappointed me.
My Px4
> huurr Berretta started making plastic guns? Man I'm never buying from them again.
>why isn it in 9? 45 acp is Superior in everyway.

My S&W M. 29
>have it laying down on the table.
>grabs it, finger fucks it, and slams the cylinder shut by flicking his wrist.
>I tell him it's an heirloom and not to do that.
>says that it's fine, and I only got it because of dirty harry.
>remind him about the heirloom part and that I didn't buy it
>never even seen dirty harry, though I feel like a should.

Either way, fuck that range.
>>
>>29728998
10/10, would work there
>>
>>29729342
fuck, oops.
but you get my point.
in general, make things clear.
ideally have a little card next to the gun with this info;
>make
>model
>caliber
>barrel length
>notable features like forward assist or dust cover
>compliant with faggot state laws y/n
>NFA item y/n
>if there is a deal on that gun, what it is
I don't want to have to ask about every little thing.
I want my time spent dealing with employees to be minimal.
>>
>>29729377
Very few gunshops have their FFL 01/07. If they do, yes, it should be specified.
>>
>>29728998
Jesus, dude! Name and location? If it's in or close to VA I'd be up for checking them out.
>>
>>29729365

I would have raised hell about him mishandling an heirloom.
>>
>>29729245
There's one I used to live near that charged $5 for pistol rental and sold ammo for market price. There's another one nearby where I currently live that does the same. Figured they were gonna ream me when I decided I wanted a hundred extra in 9mm. Instead it was about what I'd expect from a normal store.
>>
Quit raising your fucking prices. Transfers are up to $40 buck at the place I've been going to for a decade. There ammos expensive as fuck too.

I don't buy anything there anymore. Just use them for an indoor range nowadays. I understand paying more in person than online but I'm not spending 25 bucks and tax on 50 shit brand Makarov rounds.
>>
File: heheheh.jpg (35 KB, 599x359) Image search: [Google]
heheheh.jpg
35 KB, 599x359
>>29729433
Again, I'm a pussy if you have a gun even if I have one. The guy made me nervous and I didn't want to get too aggressive, but it's moot because I got kicked out anyway. I just wanna put holes in paper
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 480x269
>>29724755
>mfw my lgs only charges $20
>>
>>29723375
>go to lgs
>selling yugo and russian SKSs
>$600+ dollars
>>
>>29721401
have a range, don't hire dicks
>>
>>29721401
i s u gg esst m ore dakka
>>
>>29724433
this. We really need to keep yugins profun
>>
>Regularly patronize gun shop/range
>Always get condescending attitude from owner and a few of the employees

I realize that I forgot to tell you that one time I was shooting a shotgun (they check all your ammo before you shoot), and that I can`t own a handgun but nigga. If you want to get visibly annoyed and sigh while eyeballing me then do it in your office instead of in front of me every time I come in to shoot.
>>
>>29725481
> And don't try to make too much money off transfers.
No. no one ever buys anything when they're coming in for a transfer. They eat up so much of the sales staff time that you will burn through more money than you make.
>>
>>29730576
This. I boycott ranges with the condescending ex-cop who treats everyone like their retarded children.

Every Gander Academy is a good general example.
>>
>>29731087
The owner is a gruff Eastern European immigrant that visibly gets annoyed and sometimes sighs while eyeballing you. I honestly don`t know why he sits in the gun shop part watching 80`s action movies when he has employees that do everything else. Even when I dropped $350 on a membership and a gun rental +ammo in the same afternoon the guy had this look of contempt.

Whats worse is that the range recently go half of the particle board stalls ripped out and replaced by this weird metal setup that isin`t a wall between a booths. So when you shoot you get all the sound of the guy next to you and brass flying in front of you. Since the brass isin`t really stopped by the walls of the booth it just mingles and nobody cleans it up because it mixes with everyone else`s. I really don`t know why he did that.
>>
>>29727899
Not him but I would fully expect a live inventory in todays world.
>>
>>29731066
I inquired with my LGS about their transfer fee, the store owner said he could get me a price if I wanted but offered to order the gun himself so he could get the sale instead of whatever website I was intending on using. I try to shop local whenever possible so that was a better alternative. It even saved me some money so it was all gravy.
>>
Elections are coming
>>
>>29731988
So more political rants from the fudds that hang out at my tactical oriented lgs?
>>
>>29726886
I lived in Orlando for a bit, the absolute worst gun store when it came to the ppl working there was Shoot Straight, most were ex military and were fucking awful at dealing with people. East Orange Shooting Sports was 1000x better.
>>
LGS is staffed by mostly progun qt's and a couple of vets. Owner only charges 10% over cost. 7% for active duty and LE.
>>
I've got the same advice as pretty much everyone. Keep your shop looking relatively nice and neat. Focus on customer service. Have inventory on the floor, not simply all behind a desk.

One store I sometimes visit does it pretty well on the appearance side of things. All their guns <$400 are on the walls or racks. All the guns $400 to $1200 are in clear glass cases with lazy susans inside (you rotate until you can reach the gun from the door). All guns over $1200 or that are scary & black are on the wall behind the desk with their price written boldly ON BOTH SIDES of the price tag. Finally, handguns and optics are inside the desk (like everywhere else).

They fall a tiny bit short on accessories, though. Anything rail-mounted is behind another counter in another room. Magazines are in a locked cabinet. Ammo is also behind the register, which is fine if you're buying a gun but it's tough when they're busier. Customer service is so-so---an issue because the employees rarely come out from behind the desk. I usually have issues with getting anyone to stick around when the store is slow. They also don't stock much that I'm interested in--and what they do stock that way has a big markup compared to competing stores.

The one store near me that has gotten CS right is primarily fudd shotguns and high-end rifles. They've got very little stock in long guns <$1000. After I buy a better safe, I might visit and buy a Beretta 1301 Comp.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1136x640
>>29725163
Reminds me of my trip to South Africa. Gun shop rents out handguns for 50 Rand, 100 Rand for a rifle. Ammo was ridiculously cheap as well. Easily half the price of ammo here in Canada.

>tfw we got to shoot a Chinese Ak47, FN FAL
>tfw no mag restrictions.

pic related is one of my brothers shooting the FAL.
>>
>>29721401
Fucking smile for once.
>>
>>29721807
Ammo out I agree with, but the last thing anyone needs is the possibility of constant barrel sweeps and loaded weapons on the retail floor. Guns behind the counter, but clearly marked and always someone at the counter ftw
>>
>>29732038
Why does he subsidize retarded people?
>>
>>29721513
If you are a gunsmith at presumably a ffl, why would you buy guns from another store?
>>
Have a range so you can let customers test out guns they want to buy.

Run your staff on hourly (not commission) with group bonuses for sales goals. No single person can carry the group, and it allows focus on good customer service, not upsells.

Put sales goals in number of firearms sold, not the cost of the firearms (also ensures your employees aren't pushing upsells).
>>
>>29723246
hah
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 540x540
>>29725412
>hire black people
Has never worked with blacks
>>
>>29726849
Sounds like it from the way our shitty CPLs are just large pieces of cardstock
>>
>>29722083
Can you elaborate on the no single white males thing?
>>
>>29737642
Probably because they are likeliest to kill themselves.

http://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
>>
File: Bathroom Gat.jpg (76 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
Bathroom Gat.jpg
76 KB, 612x816
Actually research your competition and be respectful to your customer base. Not every first time gun buyer is a moron who will overpay for their first gun.

>go in gun store
>glocks $550
>M&Ps $500
>Shields $400+
>S&W products are on sale
>wut.jpg
>Ask if I can hold a glock 19
>pull out my ID because some stores ask for it
>Ask if he needs my ID
>worker:"I don't need that. If you tried something, you'd have 5 rounds of .45 in your chest before you could blink"
>me: I'll take my business elsewhere

>next store
>brand new shield for $325
>owner said he carries a shield and loves it
>lets me hold it, disassemble, inspect it.
>says if I buy it today he'd throw in a box of fiocchi
>buy gun
>guys shakes my hand

Love that place. It will probably forever have my business. Fair prices, respectful people, and they're informative. The first place was a bunch of try hard "operators" who think they can threaten their customers and establish business.
>>
>>29724593
I actually did pretty good. Got 3/4 of them right until after the 2nd set of 10/22s.
>>
>>29724810
Fish die all the time in alaska bro
>>
>>29725359
Is the first thing you say when you walk in
"I'm an infantry vet and now a hunter. Let me see that mossy oak 870"
>>
>>29737754
>>Shields $400+
The version with the night sights actually cost about that much, but if it wasn't then fuck them.
>>
The only thing I have for the old man at one of my local gun stores is to stop having so many nice things I can never own.
>M1 carbine #300
>several original black powder cartridge rifles
>Pristine S&W model 29 from the first run
>A working DeLorean
>>
>>29737754
MAP on a Glock 17 is $500/539.

Cost on a Shield is $340. If he threw in a box of ammo, you're either lying, or he is a masochist.
>>
>>29740211
He wasn't lying. It was a brand new gun but it was a trade in. Never fired. It was cheap because since it was preowned he had to mark it down as used. Even if it was never fired. The brand new from factory shields were in there for $360.
>>
>>29721401
Don't be an asshole. Be friendly, hire friendly people.

Don't assume because I haven't bought today that I won't tomorrow.

Actually know about your product. I would say about 80% of the time I know more about something common like a Glock than the clerk.
>>
>>29728998
I would kill 6 and a half niggers to work there
>>
>>29741292
>brand new gun
>trade in

It's a brand new car, it was just driven off the lot!
>>
>>29741976
>never been fired
>sat in a box for a month
>not brand new
>being this autistic
>>
File: 11874686142.png (47 KB, 205x206) Image search: [Google]
11874686142.png
47 KB, 205x206
>call shop
>ask if they have cz82
>in a super condescending tone "oh yeah, let me just hand the gun to you through the phone, that'll work reall good"
>huh?
>"and you can just push the money through on your end, dont worry about a background check, we can just push the shit through the phone too, is that how you wanna do this?"
>what the fuck is your problem man?
>"oh come on its just a joke"
>ok ill just take my money to the shop around the corner
>click

>give same store 2nd chance later
>WA just got back SBRs
>browsing shit, nothing i really want
>see B&T MP9
>fingerfuck it a bit
>me like
>mention to friend that it would be a sweet SBR
>old man behind counter spouts some shit about how you cant make an SBR in WA
>yeah, i know i cant as an individual, but i can take it to [NFA shop] and they can form 2 and form 4 it
>"no no they cant do that"
>but they can, the shop that does it is 10 minutes up the road
>"well [other shop] has their SOT and isnt doing it so that shop cant do it"
>mfw
>know owner of [NFA shop]
>one employee of shit shop is a regular
>mention it to him
>"old guy? yeah i know who that is, hes a fudd, doesnt know the current laws"
>yeah i know, i told him so and he continued to say i was wrong all because [other shop] isnt doing form 2's and 4's because they already have a massive stock of SBRs so they dont really need to
>"its not that big of a deal"
>mfw spreading misinformation isnt a big deal

I absolutely refuse to go back to that shop, even for ammo, none of my buddies have had good experiences there either
>>
File: 1458605053915.jpg (191 KB, 1261x1084) Image search: [Google]
1458605053915.jpg
191 KB, 1261x1084
>>29728998
>No talking politics
I can't shit on liberal faggots and niggers? Fuck that.
>>
>>29721401
>if you could tell a gun store anything to help increase business hat would it be and why?
Be able to get the exact gun that someone wants quickly. Every time I want something specific, no one fucking has it. When I ask if they can get it, I get blank stares and mumbled responses. Then the manager comes out and grabs a spiral notebook (I shit you not) and says, "I can put you on the waiting list." Yeah, like I am going to wait months for something I can buy online in 5 minutes after I get home. And don't put some faglord mark-up on a special order gun just because you are half kike.

Also, have hollow points that aren't from the '80s. Get with the times, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>29725196
>824 bytes
Literally the smallest file size I've ever seen on this board.
>>
>>29736235
[The joke]

[Your head]
>>
I work for a gun chain store in SoCal as a retail monkey.

It breaks my heart to read how many of you are having such awful experiences with gun stores. My coworkers and I (with one or two exceptions) prioritize customer service and will usually take any amount of time to help a customer who is young/new/inexperienced. Especially in California, we understand that every positive gun store experience someone has is another potential vote to preserve our freedom, and are willing to work with customers and be polite and informative without sounding condescending. I hope that you guys find a good store to spend your time and money at, because everyone deserves a nice place to shoot the shit and learn about guns at without assholes looking at you sideways.

t. Retail Monkey #308
>>
>>29725294
I had a related situation a few days ago. I was getting a scope mounted and boresighted for my bolt-action Ruger in .308 at Cabella's and while checking the sight, of course I point it straight up at the ceiling. Then the sales clerk says that it's ok to point it at a far corner of the store. I mention that I'm not really comfortable with muzzle sweeping people. So I just end up just pointing the gun at a stuffed moose head about 30 yards away
Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.