[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are ion thrusters not viable for fighter aircraft? Sats and spacecraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Are ion thrusters not viable for fighter aircraft? Sats and spacecraft use them.
>>
Fucking tard
>>
>>29720669
???
>>
>>29720663
Have you even looked at the power/weight ratio?
>>
>>29720663
Super duper low thrust to weight ratio. It needs to have far better thrust to be any kind of effective.
>>
Every day i think, "damn, this is the dumbest shit i will ever read"...the next day i am dissapointed to be wrong.

OP, you give me hope.
>>
>>29720663
nah. Ion thrusters burn weak but long. which are the characteristics fitting for civilian duty, not on military vessels.
>>
>>29720689
/thread
>>
Very low thrust output.
Only viable in space, since every momentum count in navigating the spacecraft.
>>
Try taking the time to Wiki it before you waste bandwidth with such a moronic thread
>>
>>29720663
OP don't ask questions about something you haven't even fucking googled yet.
>>
>>29721138
You can't tell me what to do. You aren't my real dad.
>>
Can you use a Prius as a race car?

Nah.
>>
>>29721161
anon your dad you lived with was cucked this man is your father
>>
>>29720663
OP watched Fart Wars and found out TIE means twin ion engine. George "Toyboy" Lucas can't write for shit. He doesn't even get parsecs right and somehow makes a multi trillion dollar franchise...
>>
>>29721184
It's way more underpowered than a Prius and far more fuel efficient.
OP's pic looks like a hall effect thruster (the shiny tube below inyects electrons into the stream to equalize btw).
That thing could not even lift my hand, and weighs like 50 pounds.
>>29720689 ' s response is the mos accurate of the thread.
>>
File: TIE-LN_Fighter.jpg (112 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
TIE-LN_Fighter.jpg
112 KB, 500x410
>>29720663
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away they were
>>
>>29720663
They don't have the thrust to weight ratio necessary for atmospheric purposes.
>>
>>29721184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzkbc3IrQ8
>>
shit can't even lift itself, how's it gonna fly a plane?
>>
>>29721204
>parsecs
Think they were, indeed, referring to the measure of distance and implying they could thread the navigational hazards for a shorter course.
>tfw I've had this conversation many times
>tfw I gave up on the franchise entirely almost a year ago
>>
>>29723227
They could have even touched it in 7, and neglected to do so other than mention it again. It's fanbois trying to grasp to make it not sound retarded. Regardless, the mediclorians still kill the best thing about the series, making it reliant on an organelle to make the force "flow" through people better. But this is not /k/ related, so I'll shut up now...
>>
>>29723227
>Think they were, indeed, referring to the measure of distance and implying they could thread the navigational hazards for a shorter course.

That was an EW retcon. Doesn't change the fact that Lucas was an idiot who didn't know what parsecs were.
>>
>>29724730
>Lucas was an idiot
No shit, fortunately he had some writers that weren't utterly myopic, but we got to see what happens when you let Georgie take the reigns with Episodes 1-3 then selling the franchise to the fucking Mouse.
>>29724478
>episode 7
I literally refuse to watch it, I made the mistake of watching the Rogue One trailer and I had to physically fight back the urge to vomit. Only part of the property I'll even touch right now is TOR and only because they've gone back to episodic story telling and it's basically the last remaining vestige of the Dark Horse days.
>>
>>29720663
Real life isn't Gmod
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.