[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/, I have a UV-5R5 Baofeng radio due on Tuesday with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 1453913234118.jpg (562 KB, 792x3458) Image search: [Google]
1453913234118.jpg
562 KB, 792x3458
Hello /k/,

I have a UV-5R5 Baofeng radio due on Tuesday with a programming cable.

I heard someone mention something about CHIRP and programming threads, I didn't see anything in the sticky pertaining to radios. Any information you guys can provide to me that would be useful?
>>
>>29719533

Hey there. Glad to see a radio thread on here. Got my ham license and love the bao feng regarless of what other older hams say about chinese made.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ErrorMess.php#error1

This website helped me a lot to program with chirp and get started
>>
>>29719533

After you get the drivers programmed and chrip set up. One thing that kicked my ass was that I had to plug in the usb cable to radio and turn the volume knob all the way up. Not sure why that worked.

Between my brother and my family we have 4 uv5r radios and you may have to figure out what firmware the radio is on first to determine the drivers.

I had to do a good bit of reading and googling to get it all to work but once you get chirp working, you'll never go back to manually programming channels.
>>
>>29719533

Please keep in mind that you need a ham license to use the radio. Also, it is illegal to use the uv5r on the common frs freqs because frs is limited to .5 watt.

If you don't have a ham license then I recommend staying off of repeaters or you'll piss off some old fart hams.
>>
>>29719533
Also I highly recommend getting a better antenna. The antenna that comes with the radio is pretty shitty.

Remember you need a sma antenna. I bought a couple nagoya antennas from amazon for under $20. They work great and improve your reception.
>>
>>29719533

Oh almost forgot. Chirp also allows you to modify the squelch setting on your uv5r.

I had to mess around with this because my radio would just start blaring static on some frequencies even at the highest squelch setting. In chirp you can fine tune the squelch and solve this issue. I saw alot of negative reviews of the uv5r from people because they couldn't figure it out.

There are plenty of very detailed youtube videos about the uv5r that cover shit like this.
>>
>>29719533

If you do have a ham license great. But if you dont I really recommend you get it!

With a license you can use the radio legally. And You'll be able to use local repeaters, and if you're lucky there will be repeaters that have backup power you can use in a shtf situation.

People make the assumption that in a real shtf that it doesn't matter if you have a ham license or not but you'll never be able to test out you capabillities and you are very very limited with just a baofeng radio.
>>
>>29719533

My mobile uv5r hooked up to 35 watt amp in my car.
>>
File: 20160116_123033.jpg (207 KB, 610x813) Image search: [Google]
20160116_123033.jpg
207 KB, 610x813
>>29719697
>>
>>29719533
So can I just listen to repeaters without a ham license as long as I don't key up ever?
>>
>>29719702

Definitely. But the uv5r is not a good scanner. The scan speed is extremely slow for my taste.

But I think you'll get bored of just listening. For the most part repeater conversations are full of old hams talking about their day and visit to the doctor. But that's ham in general for you.

But it gives me peace of mind knowing when the phones go down I could talk to my brother on the other side of the island (hawaii) by using a repeater that is on backup power. And if that goes down I have talked to these other hams glued to their radios 24/7 that could relay my message.
>>
>>29719533
oh hey another chicken chow mein meme radio thread
>>
>>29719701
I know that shifter, that's a fucking prius isn't it? That better be your wife's car lest you be a huge prius-owning faggot
>>
>>29719744
Guilty as charged.
>>
File: Iain'tGoingOutDry.jpg (861 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
Iain'tGoingOutDry.jpg
861 KB, 1520x2688
Good morning /k/omrades.

I have the UV-82, which I got because my autist mind couldn't deal with the zero-button placement of UV-5. Literally, the primary deciding factor. I love it.

Here's my problem. While I do plan on getting my HAM license, I can't at the moment because I am studying for the second (of three) Charted Financial Analyst exams. If you don't know what they are, they're exceptional difficult and life consuming. Very. Hard. The exam is in June, then I am going to look at getting my HAM technician's license.

Till then, I am curious what this CHIRP mode is? I have all the shit to program the UV-82, but have not done so. Ideally, I want to program the following channels for LISTEN ONLY PURPOSES. I don't want to piss anyone off if I am not in a deep shit situation.

>Local repeater(s) - have a few near me. Lurk to learn.
>NOAA channel - actually have my radio on it. The synthetic voices sooth my autism. Except when then woman voice says "cloudy" and "light and variable" but that's from years of racing sailboats.
>VHF Marine - Live very close to the water and just want to hear what's happening. (Probably just a couple of the channels)
>Live near Canada - Any Cana-channels I should be aware of?

Basically, total noob, just looking to learn. Looking for pro-tips and such while I continue to study away my life.
>>
Just get CHIRP and then join radio reference. CHIRP can import directly from RR, it's idiot proof
>>
>>29722689
>/wrol/res/14.html

Thank you
>>
>>29720542
>no Devil Dancer

Consumer's has shit for good beer.
>>
>>29720542
...Buffalo?
>>
File: 1006682-detroit.jpg (291 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
1006682-detroit.jpg
291 KB, 1536x1024
>>29723824

It's my local liquor store. This is only part of their selection. If these guys don't have it, there's a good chance it doesn't exist.

Pic related
>>
>>29719701
So how many rf adapters are between the radio and the feedline? You loose ~2% power per connector
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.