[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 23 years old; currently in a Wall Street occupation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 272x185
I'm 23 years old; currently in a Wall Street occupation making a lucrative salary and I'm on the verge of quitting to do Marine Corps OCS. I've been in the working world almost a year now, feeling unhappy and unfulfilled. I've always felt a calling toward the military since a young age.

Anyone else on /k/ ever left a lucrative job to do something like this?
>>
>>29706835
How much are you making right now?
>>
>>29706835

100K/year including bonus. If I stay another year probably looking at 120k. Graduated last May with a bachelors in International Relations
>>
>>29706859

this
>>29706902
was to you
>>
right now you're making money but unfulfilled
joining a peacetime military and you can make much less money and still be unfulfilled unless you like playing fuck fuck political games trying to get higher rank

do you enjoy bullshit politics? no? well, you'll retire a captain, maybe a major if you're lucky.
>>
>>29706835
why don't you just use your young age and 100k salary to pursue things you enjoy instead of drastically changing your life in an effort to hopefully feel better
>>
>>29706942

I'm mostly feeling suffocated by the sheer monotony of my job (I work in banking). Don't need to go into detail.

As of now I'm not looking to make a career out of the military. I just want to do something that will make me feel like I made somewhat of a difference. I would try to branch combat arms

Look, I'm not a hack. I'm familiar with OCS and the process. I know that the highest standards are expected of you (PT & paper wise). I had an on-the-table offer to go to West Point but turned it down (because I was in high school and fucking retarded) and its been bothering me ever since. My worst fear is being 45 years old and looking back and saying, "man I wish I did that."
>>
>>29706989

The problem is that I don't think I enjoy anything else. I've always been fascinated with the military, , the history, weaponry, equipment, logistics, and the prospect of leading men into conflict.

It seems like the only goal in my life right now is to land a wife, get that next promotion, and settle down.
>>
>>29706835

Oh, God no dude.
>>
Don't bother unless you're going to do SOF. You'll be doing fuckfuck games during peacetime and spend your time doing menial tasks instead of whatever you just spent the past 6 weeks to year and a half training for before you get out with no real transferable skills to attribute to the past 4 years. If you're going to do SOF, then go for it; just try to set yourself up for a successful re-entry into your current field.
>>
>>29706835

You can slave for your jewish boss or die for israel in Syria, which do you prefer?

You might as well keep making the money and heavily invest yourself in a hobby. Or do the actual right thing and kill your jewish boss.
>>
>>29707037
>Me

Oh, and I'm in a fairly similar situation; went through and got a lot of good schooling and I'll be going into a good (and enjoyable) field that pays well with good job security. I've wanted to go in the military for the past 8 years though and it's still nagging at me to say the least.
>>
>>29707024
You're making 100k a year. You can buy a shit ton of military stuff. Do war enactments, do sim combat shit. What you need is a hobby. The military isnt going to fill this void you want filled and is just going to leave you just as empty and with less cash.
>>
>>29706902
Holy hell, Just go drive around the country. Or start a side business.
>>
>>29706989

Because this isn't a real post and OP isn't making 100k a year, nor is he going to OCS
>>
>>29706835
Just kill hookers if you get bored. I know what you mean though. Making 120k+ in Manhattan is poverty tier you may as well join USMC. Good luck.
>>
>>29707098

I don't have much of a reason to lie here. If I was making a lot less then this would be a fairly easy call for me.

>>29707037
Understood. I've also put some thought into the Army and the OCS->IOBC->Ranger School->SOF route (if I somehow miraculously don't manage to get injured and recycled somewhere along the way).

Does peacetime in the military really suck that much?
>>
>>29707169
Yes. I asked my uncle, a former LTC about possibly applying after college. He said don't fucking bother if there isn't a war on or something akin to the cold war ever again.
>>
>>29707002
>worried about monotony
>wants to join the military
You don't know a whole lot about the military
Especially as an officer, you will do retarded shit all fucking day.

Keep your amazing 100k job. I cannot stress how in this day and age having a job that pays that much at 23 is amazing.

It doesn't matter what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>29707126

OP here. Yeah when you wittle it down after taxes and CoL in Manhattan I'm probably looking at less than 50k in disposable income max.
>>
>>29706835
>feeling unfulfilled

And you think being an officer in a peace time Corps will be any better?

At least you're making money right now. I gave my life to the military for six years and I feel like I'll never get that part of my soul back.

If you think what you're doing now is unfulfilling, do you really think that filling out endless mountains of retarded paperwork, interacting with scores of clueless, kiss-ass, buzzword spitting officers, babysitting legions of literally retarded enlisted soldiers and the headaches they WILL cause, working way longer than necessary "just because," and ceaseless mind numbing inventory checks - all, mind you, for significantly less pay - would be any more fulfilling?

Unless you like soulless ass kissing and hate joy, you will get no fulfillment out of military service right now. It will be horrible.
>>
>>29707198
>I only have $50000 to spend however I want every year.

Bro, that's more than I make in a year, but still managed to find happiness and fulfillment. I still manage to buy guns.
>>
>>29707169
>Understood. I've also put some thought into the Army and the OCS->IOBC->Ranger School->SOF route (if I somehow miraculously don't manage to get injured and recycled somewhere along the way).
>Does peacetime in the military really suck that much?

If you go that route, you're forcing yourself to be an officer SOF which makes your path much harder for yourself. You'd now be the TL for an ODA and have significantly more responsibility, but you'll be getting fast tracked off the team within several years to be a higher ranking officer. If you want SOF, you're probably best off to go enlisted, despite (presumably) having a degree. I'm not sure for the 75th; Ricky might be able to speak to that.

FWIW, I'm not current or prior service. Just some prick with health issues that wishes he could get in.
>>
>>29707002

Not going to a military academy was the best decision you could've made.

Unless you're joining to be a seal, don't join the military. you will be unfulfilled.
>>
>>29707182

Yeah I hear that. I guess I'm holding out hope for a deployment that would be a product of some ME shitshow in the next few years. But you never know. We had a peacetime military on 9/10/2001 and a wartime one 24 hours later.
>>
>>29707224

Well I envy you then. I would gladly give up a significant portion of my salary if it meant that I wouldn't hate my job. Look man, I own a lot of guns (obviously I don't/can't keep them in Manhattan), love guns, but don't feel the need to but any more. Again, as a hobby, they don't really do it for me alone.
>>
>>29706902
OP having read your thread I will say this you are the type most likely to get fragged, face it you are a douche and the only type of respect you will get is from fudds after you are deceased. if you hate being a banker you will HATE being an officer, you are signed for all of the property that every private is going to break/lose you will spend at least 75% of your time doing BS paperwork and hating life but go on leave that 6 figure salary to end up in an S shop
>>
>>29707249

Understood. I did think about enlisting for a bit. I know I'm going to sound like a prick saying this, but I would just feel terrible and financially guilty about enlisting as an Spc. after spending 200k on a top tier college education.

So in wartime essentially, it's better to be with a leg unit?
>>
Everyone keeps saying its peacetime, but there's been at least 2 hostile deaths this year and some /k/ommando said one of his guys got his leg blown off last deployment and another guy got shot in the leg. So are we at peace or not? Does peacetime just mean that you fight a little bit and not a lot?
>>
>>29707002
Perhaps consider joining a PMC.

Of all the military's you could join, U.S. military (in its current state) is among the worst.

If you are able, I'd say go PMC, less retarded bullshit (or so I've heard) and way higher pay.
>>
>>29707338
That's standard peace time deployment issues. Wartime basically means 'High risk shit going down all the time and active combat operations'. Currently, we've got neither unless you're the chair force.
>>
>>29707338
I think "peacetime" is meant to mean no Official war has been declared by Governments of civilized nations, not necessarily rag-tag defense operations on durkas.
>>
>>29706902
100k a year where I'm from is a ton of money.

Take that cash move to the midwest, buy some land and farm.

I promise you'll feel happy.
>>
>>29706835
>pat tillman
>>
>>29707362

I'm familiar with how PMCs operate and what kind of people they look for. Don't think they'd have much use for a 23 y/o banker with zero military, nevermind combat, experience. Unless they're looking for someone to draft up cash flow models for their business side, in which case I'm not very interested.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 200x200
>>29707043
Shut up, goyim!
>>
>>29707423

You are correct. You're obviously not stupid.

I said it up higher, get a seal contract, or don't join the military.
>>
>>29707334

...How have I come across as a douche?

What experience do you have that makes you think mine will be as you described?
>>
>>29707037
This. SOF or bust. Don't settle for anything less.

You're making fucking 100k a year as a 23 year old. Assuming this isn't a troll
>>
So since everybody is tell8by this dude to go spec ops... I'm in OKAY shape, would I be able to get into good enough shape for SEAL training by November? Otherwise I'm going into the Navy as AECF.
>>
>>29707432

Understood. Do PMCs even take guys/officers coming from leg infantry units? Or are they strictly going for guys with a hi speed background?
>>
>>29707298
I hate my job too. I dig holes in the dirt. All of my co-workers and subordinates barely speak english. And if guns were the only thing that brought me happiness, that'd be pretty sad.

Find hobbies, make friends, fall in love, work out, get out of your comfort zone.
>>
>>29706835
Honestly m8, just keep your job. It's good money for being right out of college. Invest that money, buy some land out in the midwest, open a traditional and maybe also a Roth IRA since you're still below the max amount you're allowed to make and still contribute to one.

Make your money work for you, maybe get an advanced degree in a field you really like and that interests you. Just suck it up for a few more years and walk away with a very healthy amount of money, your own piece of property, and some good investments to keep you making a little extra side money.
>>
>>29707492
>I'm in OKAY shape, would I be able to get into good enough shape for SEAL training by November?

Nope, not really. Spend at least a year and you better enjoy literally doing pt every day from sunrise to sunset. No more shitposting on 4chan or playing videogames if you do decide to commit.
>>
>>29707529
I mean what will a year do that a 7 months can't? I am already pt ing like a mother fucker, running every day except weekends and doing pushups pull ups and sit ups. But you're probably right..
>>
>>29707494

If you want to make 400 bucks a day tops, sure. PMCs prefer marine grunts over army grunts. team dudes (seals) over any other SF, then SF guys.PMC shit isn't sexy, it's standing around base hoping not to get car bombed or mortared. The sexy shit is going to go to 15+ year team guys making 800+ a day tax free. After you've been vetted and hired on project.

with no military experience the only thing you can do for a PMC is administrative work. You wouldn't be given a firearm.

Have you thought about applying for a position in the three letter organizations?
>>
>>29706835
> Get into the Marine Corps
> Have experience and education in financial stuff
> End up doing what you were doing, but while wearing the same clothes as everyone else, for way less than you're making now.

You could do it, but you might also be disappointed.
>>
>>29707526
>>29707505

I appreciate the input. I am grateful for the job I have and the money I make. Not a day does by where I am not thankful. I realize that most of the country is not as fortunate. I wish I could say it was due to my skill, but as with most finance jobs, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was a liberal arts major for fucks sake. Luck, that's all. I have an IRA already with a decent amount of money in it (mostly because the bank matches whatever I put into it from my paycheck). I'm not complaining but I'm just not happy. I just feel like I could be doing more with my life. I want to feel like I'm making a difference; not just earning money money for "the man." And since I've always been interested in the military, that has always been what has made the most sense to me.
>>
>>29707298
Suck it up and make money for a few years. Save it up, buy some land in a place you really like. You're young as fuck. Find some hobbies. Then get the fuck out of Manhattan and enjoy some freedom.

I'm fresh out of college and I make money that isn't great, but it allowed me to start in on some hobbies. I go backpacking now. Being out in nature with nothing by myself (or maybe a good friend or two), a few books, and my rifle revives me.

Soul sucking office work is a killer, but a few days out in nature really helps me recharge. Even if it rains on me and I end up humping a heavy ass ruck in mud, I still end up with pleasant memories and it was still more fulfilling than the comfortable-but-routine-and-dull office work.
>>
>tfw graduating this year
>tfw only going to be making half what OP makes, no potential for bonus

I wish I was smarter...

Don't be an idiot OP find some hobbies you have the money
>>
dude move to fucking chicago, its not called chiraq for nothing, and it has a history of banking, plus its in the midwest so it'll be cheap as hell compared to newyork
>>
>>29707610
This.

Have you ever heard about Warhammer 40k OP? It might satisfy your fantasies. Traditional Games may offer you something for you to find enjoyment in.
>>
>>29707567

Thanks for the insight. That all makes sense. I'm a realist, so I say that I will never be a seal. Best case, SOF, but my ultimate goal has always been to lead a leg infantry unit.

Yes, I've considered the three letters, but I was in a frat in college and my experimentation would get me bent over on a polygraph (coke, a little weed, etc.)
>>
>>29707591

whats some way I can contact you unfulfilled anon?
>>
>>29707647
>>29707634
I guess it's true, frats help
>>
>>29707634
>polygraph

they dont work
>>
>>29706835
>22
>58k a year
>think about the infantry every day since I was 14
>dream is to die in combat even if blown to hell by IED
>terrible eyesight
>hungry skeleton

Gonna save 8k, get implantable contact lens, wait a year for the follow up care to finish. Then enlist with option 40, even if I fail, there's a high chance of me being placed in an airborne unit.
>>
>>29707666

Is it true that taking benadryls before the test lowers your heart rate enough as to guarantee a pass?

I heard this from an Army Intel officer; just curious.
>>
>>29707198
First off move out of manhattan and commute on the subway or something and save a fuck ton of money
>>
>>29707591
Then do this. Spend the next 3 or 4 years doing this work that you don't like. Make that money. Get really fit. If you're really still dead set on joining the military by the time you're 26 or 27, you'll be in good shape to do whatever you want. You'll have a very healthy bank account, maybe some land in a midwest state that you like, and a good start on your retirement. Then you can afford to not make much money in the military.

Have you given any thought towards what you want to do? Are you looking to be a Seal or some high speed operator? Do you want to command tanks? Do you want to work in logistics or intelligence? What strikes your fancy?
>>
>>29707002
You want to make a difference so you're going into the military? Good joke, guy.
>>
>>29707634
Are you absolutely sure you want to be in a combat type position?

Cause it sounds to me what you really want is some form of team-oriented outdoors type activity.

I joined my local Search and Rescue team and it's fun as hell for me. Who knows, maybe you might like it too as it's a lot of hiking and teamwork.
>>
Hey man if you make that much why don't you work another year save good and invest in some stocks so you get money every month coming in and buy a van and travel the country. Unless you really like structure.
>>
>>29707677
Will they take you with the implantable contact lense? I know the military gets sketchy about certain forms of eyesight correction.
>>
>>29707666
Yes they do, they ask small variations of the questions they really want to know the answer to over and over again to account for variations.

For top secret clearance they even ask if you've looked up ways to cheat the polygraph test
>>
>>29707731
I'm gonna lie my ass off
>>
Op you piss me off so much

You've got life fucking made and you want to throw it all away...

FFS buy some 5.11 gear and a plate carrier and all the tactical shit for your $3500 Daniel Defense rifle and run 3 gun courses

You fucking faggot
>>
>>29707737
How much do you know about the alphabet agencies hiring process (background check specifically)?

I understand that they do an extremely thorough background check on their own (with collab from the other agencies no doubt), but what exactly do they ask you personally and how much?

Let's say the Secret Service.
>>
>>29707687

Yeah look, not a bad idea and that's what I was originally thinking. I'm 23 now but want to give work another 6 months- a year before I show up at the local recruiting office.

Honestly I've always just wanted to lead an infantry leg unit. I know how the slotting system in OCS works (albeit slightly different between Marines and Army). My choices would be 1) infantry 2) armor 3) ground intel 4) field artillery etc.

If an opportunity to do something more hi speed down the road came about, I would welcome it and give it a shot.
>>
>>29707763
>>29707763
Expect the background check to go back a decade at least. And be able to provide contact info for people who have known you that long.

Being in a frat will raise red flags, for the reputation they have.

Above all be fucking honest, if you lie about something and they find out that will completely tank your chances
>>
>>29707751

Yeah because signing up for a few of Chris Costa's classes would make me feel like so much less of a fag....
>>
>>29707787
Yeah, I get all that, but I'm curious about more specific questions.

Would they ask about your porn browsing habits for example. ("purely hypothetical")
>>
>>29706835
Had a bud making 80k a year, and decided he wanted to go to Afghanistan. So he went guard, deployed with us then when he got home he left his job to do contracting. But he COULD HAVE kept his job because laws. So yeah, there's that option if you don't want to be poor instead.
>>
>>29707787

So admitting to frequent cocaine use in the past would be better as opposed to trying to hide it and having the possibility of them discover it later on..?

I feel like you're sunk either way so you may as well roll the dice on them discovering it.
>>
>>29707804
They don't give a shit about that

They would care if you were addicted to porn
>>
>>29707813
Oh, ok what a relief. Phew.
>>
>>29707809
>>29707809
Absolutely
>>
>>29707808

Mmm interesting. I guess the Marine Corps Reserve or the NG could classify as a hobby....?
>>
>>29707809

Eh you'd be surprised. I know guys in the DEA working down in Latin America who I literally witnessed doing lines off of strippers bellys in college. I guess it goes with the whole "to be truly effective, a good narcotics agent must know and love narcotics" thing.
>>
File: 1257329817743.jpg (38 KB, 383x600) Image search: [Google]
1257329817743.jpg
38 KB, 383x600
>feeling unhappy and unfulfilled.
What the fuck is wrong with faggots? A job is for making money and getting the fuck out of there quick as you can at the end of the day. It's there so you can actually have the necessary funds to enjoy your life.

Your actual life is for feeling happy and fulfilled. Get hobbies you love and learn shit and read and travel and get fit. Also the military sucks dick and you've only been working a year so what the fuck do you know?
>>
>>29707853
Op is a spoiled child
>>
>>29707771
Spend that time getting into really great shape. Hell, spend 2 more years doing this job while you work out. Then start seeing your recruiter, and spend the 6 months or so that it'll take for you to head out for OCS doing fun shit, working out even more (especially running) and quit the job you don't like while you do these things.
>>
>>29707451
He makes less money than you therefore you are a douche.
>>
>>29707024
>the only goal in my life right now is to land a wife, get that next promotion, and settle down
>the only goal in life is to live life

Holy shit what the fuck did you think you would be doing?
>>
>>29707529
>child detected
Rest days are super important guy. Only PT 6 days a week, only PT 3 hours a day normally.

It takes about 40 weeks to get someone to that physical level, but it takes a pretty strict diet and lots of exercise
>>
>>29707677
Is your vision not correctable? Can you LASIK?

>>29707853
>being an employee
>not doing something you have a passion for
>>
>>29707002
If you're bored, get a hobby you dimwit! Army duty is boring as hell 90% of the time, and the pay is shit. I'd rather be bored at work and making 100k a year, than be bored and making 50k a year.
>>
>>29706835
If money is your problem, I will help you get rid of your problem. Join the cult of Cthulhu and find your true destiny.
>>
>>29709592
This.
>>
Don't do it OP, you'll still be doing paperwork all day
>>
Do it, I hope you join. I take much pleasure in seeing ungrateful rich kids do stupid shit
>>
>>29706902
what the fuck, this can't be real
>>
>>29711346
not op, but making 100k out of college is totally reasonable if youre in the right industry. my roommate just got a job in CS @ 120k with bonus
>>
>>29707002
tell obumer to stop fucking around with the wrong banks and that his federal reserve is the worst ever. along with his shit occ appointment. make a difference that way.

Save the US economy by not letting barnacle sandies destroy all our important financial institutions.
>>
>>29709393
My vision is correctable with glasses, but I have oily skin so my glasses constantly slide down my face, that would be a major issue in the infantry.

Implantable contact lens has less long term side effects than lasik.

If somebody's staring deeply enough into my eyes to tell I have an ICL then I'd probably be more worried about being raped than being kicked out of the army.
>>
>>29711346
He's also in Manhattan, one of the most expensive areas to live in and therefore have the highest wages for entry graduates, like Silicon Valley.
>>
>>29707809

Its 100% about honesty. If you did a bit of coke back in the day they really dont give a shit as long as you're not still doing it/an addict. A current habit is major leverage someone else could use to bend your loyalty. Thats the shit they're looking for.
>>
>>29707554
Run weekends. No rest for you, not in cardio
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.