[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Y u givin me a hard time /k/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: 716005906_2.jpg (16 KB, 500x292) Image search: [Google]
716005906_2.jpg
16 KB, 500x292
I posted that I wanted to get a 1911 as a first gun earlier and you guys pretty much shat on me.
>get a .22 (meme-tier)
>learn to shoot
>learn to take care of gun
Why bother? I could save money and just learn on the gun I want. What is so damn difficult about a 19elebben? And I'm definitely going to cc whatever the hell I end up getting. No point in waiting if you've got to learn sometime.
>>
>>29706575
1911 really isn't hard to shoot. I would take some classes to avoid bad habits.
>>
Some people on here are huge fags.

Get a 1911 if you want. Its a good first gun.
>>
Thing is, it's easier to learn form with a .22 or 9mm. If you want to not hit anything with your expensive 1911 go ahead.
>>
>>29706575
It's just cheaper to practice on a .22
It's also easier to learn and develop good habits on. But do as you wish friend
>>
Real talk here. A 1911 while still a good gun, is kind of tough for a first time gun unless you've shot it multiple times at the range.

Getting used to the safety, hammer, trigger and disasssembly of it can be a bit much if it's your first time gun.

That said, if you have the time for practice and money for the gun and ammo, go for it. They're great guns, just not necessarily the best for first time pistols.

>>29706602
This guy said it pretty much best.
>>
>>29706592
I was planning to over the summer. 21st birthday is in the fall so I'll be somewhat decent once I'm ready to buy it.
>>
>>29706602
In my experience, the 1911 is a smoother shooting experience than any 9mm I've shot.
>>
individual comfort and confidence are the most important. if it feels good in the hand and inspires you confidence, then accept no substitute.

sometimes I feel like my 1911 wants to fight and kill
>I love it
>>
>>29706575

Wonder why people shat on you for wanting a 1911, that's fairly rude of them, it's a free country.

>want to get 1911 as first gun

Ok, not probably ideal but no big deal

>I'm definitely going to cc whatever the hell I end up getting

Think I found your problem Anon.

Do what you want, but just make sure you familiarize yourself with and practice shooting with the gun before you start carrying it. People do carry 1911s but a majority of them are far from ideal carry guns. Maybe consider a commander size model unless you're sure you won't mind carrying around a full size.
>>
File: 20160331_142716.jpg (859 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160331_142716.jpg
859 KB, 2560x1536
>>29706575
>Get a .22
This is actually good advice. You'd be surprised how easy and fun it is to shoot one. Definitely worth doing even if you already have a go-to pistol, but if you want to limit yourself to only one gun it's not necessary.

I do still advise a .22LR conversion slide so you can shoot both. You're really missing out if you don't.
>learn to shoot
Again, a .22 recoils significantly less so it really does help you hone in your shooting skills. I've been shooting for years and I shoot more .22LR than all other calibers combined. Part of it is cost cutting, but you do see significant improvements when you go back to centerfire afterwards as well.
> I could save money and just learn on the gun I want.
Initially yes, but when you consider the 300-400%+ cost difference between .45 ACP and .22LR getting a conversion slide or a used ~200$ .22 pistol (S&W 22A, Ruger Standard, etc.) pays for itself very quickly. That is unless you consider yourself adequately trained after firing ~100 rounds total.
>And I'm definitely going to cc whatever the hell I end up getting.
You're going to CC a full-sized 1911?

Something tells me you're already set on the course of doing what you want and you're just posting here to tell us that you're doing so. You don't want advice, you want recognition and acknowledgement. If you wanted advice, you'd listen. The advice you got was given for a reason.
>>
>>29706843
I already carry a ton of shit and I'm a big guy (4u). So weight doesn't bother me. I'll get used to any discomfort like I did with my multitool and flashlight holsters.
>>
>>29706575
>go to gun show
>buy 1911 in 9mm
>>
>>29706943
No. The other thread was just a pure bitchfest. They didn't explain shit. The cost difference you mentioned would be a big deal. Would it be a good idea to just rent a .22 at the range and git gud? I honestly don't think I'd want to spend the money on a gun I don't want. It seems like the skills transfer over so I wouldn't have practice as much with more expensive ammo. Right or no?
>>
>>29706948

The one carry benefit of the 1911 is they're slim, so they're not quite as noticeable through clothing as some other full size handguns.
>>
File: IMG_20130607_230224.jpg (1008 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130607_230224.jpg
1008 KB, 2592x1944
>>29706575
If your dead set on a 1911, you probably still need a a full frame .22 to dick around with. So, you can either get the 1911 and a $300ish gun like a Ruger MkIII or Browning Buck Mark, or spend the $300 on a .22 conversion for your 1911. Kimber makes one that's pretty good. The only beef I have with it is a lack of a last round hold open. The conversion basically uses a fixed barrel to make it blowback operated. The slide is aluminum and it uses a significantly lighter recoil spring. Otherwise it operates the same as a standard 1911.
>>
File: IMG_20130607_232050.jpg (981 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130607_232050.jpg
981 KB, 2592x1944
>>29707100
gun with the regular slide in place.
>>
File: target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg (878 KB, 1435x1395) Image search: [Google]
target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg
878 KB, 1435x1395
>>29707009
If you can find a range that rents 22s that definitely would be a good idea, if only to get trigger practice and eliminate bad habits.

And yeah if you decide to go right away with the 1911, either do what
>>29707100
recommends or use some cheaper ball ammo to practice with as the hollow-point HD rounds are pretty fucktarded expensive, like $1-2 per round expensive.
>>
>>29707118
gun with the Kimber .22 conversion on it. i love letting new shooters use this. they get to fire a "real" 1911 for the first time without developing a flinch or other bad habits that have to be trained out later on.
>>
File: IMG_20130607_231447.jpg (961 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130607_231447.jpg
961 KB, 2592x1944
>>29707137
forgot pic
>>
Fuck it, I say go for it. They recoil a bit but if you actually practice, it's not a big deal at all. If you're going to CC it, you want the rounds down range to be on the platform and feeling that you'll be comfortable with.
>>
>>29707009

have you ever shot a handgun? how do you know you want a 1911? because of how they look?

just go to a range, rent a 22. if you can't hit shit, then get good. if you can, try something bigger

this really isn't that hard
>>
>>29707009
Burn the $300 bucks for a full size semi auto .22.
You'll be surprised how much you'll end up shooting it. And it will compliment your centerfire shooting.
>>
>>29706575
My first evar gun was a billboard Colt 1991A1 I bought new in 1992. Still have it, shoots great. Probably over 10k rounds throught it now and never a hiccup in all that time, but I maintain it religiously. Its what I learned to shoot with and since it was my only gun for a long time, I simply put the time in and practiced with it. I now have several pistols including Sigs, M&Ps and Glocks of various calibers but mainly in .45 and 9mm. Looking back, and now knowing how smaller calibers handle, would I have bought something else? Nah. At the time, I wanted a 1911 style pistol and it was gonna be a 45. So get what you want, and make sure you put the time in to shoot it and get really familiar with it. If you're not willing to commit to that, get a 22 or a 9mm.

As far as CC a 1911? It's a heavy, big pistol but you already know this. I personally tried to carry it for a while, and it was just too heavy and bulky. I carry a Shield now. Comfy, light and shoots like a dream. There's a reason S&W sells a lot of them.
>>
i learned how to shoot on a 1911. once you get past flinching anticipating recoil, its smooth sailing. most accurate handgun ive ever shot
>>
>>29706595
/This
>>
>>29706701
92fs is smoother in my experience than any 1911 I've shot (springfield and ruger)
>>
>>29706575
You probably posted it during the day. Day/k/are shits the place up.

1911s are fun, and make a decent carry. For point and shoot there's not really a better option to get good with. 8-9 shots of .45 super from a super ergonomic platform is pretty hard to debate with. The mid to lower priced models are just so reliable too
>>
>>29707575
I shot an m9 once, and I still prefer the 1911. Just has less snap, although it does have a bit more muzzle flip.
>>
>>29707773
I decided on a 92fs for a range gun its fun, accurate (I shoot better with it than the glocks and xd that friends and family own and I get to shoot semi often), sexy, haven't had any problems with it (never accidentally turned the safety on and the slide release is easy to use unlike a glock with its nub), reliable, and almost on recoil.
>>
>>29707167
Nope. They look cool and don't have plastic grips. Plus I hear they are super reliable if you take care of them.
Also, how frequently should I go shooting anyways?
>>
There's nothing wrong with getting a 1911 as a first gun. Just be aware that in the 105 years since its development handguns have received improvement on many features. That said there is a reason that the 1911 is still manufactured and people still buy it; it is a good gun.

Many newer guns are lighter, hold more ammunition, easier to break down & clean, and etc. I, like you, heard all of this but the allure of a 1911 was stronger and I bought one. No regrets. I feel like I can appreciate newer guns better now to be honest.
>>
File: IMAG0452.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0452.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
built this for tree fiddy. if you're going to own one pistol the ppq m1 9mm is the way to go but the 1911 is good second choice
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I like 1911s. Too poor to buy a nice one but fuck it. I wouldn't carry a full size because it's just too much for me but the browning black labels in 22 or 380 or way more manageable in size and weight. Buy what you want
>>
>tell op to get a .22lr
>cant find any .22lr ammo at a reasonable price
>the only shit you can find is match grade ammo which is almost price the same as 9mm
>>
>>29707197
Yeah a full size 1911 is not comfortable I agree. They have some good compact options, but it all honesty 1911 due to its long history in the US has little psychological danger value due to its over exposure. So it's a good open carry.
>>
>>29706575
Don't worry about it anon. /k/ told me similar stuff when I wanted to get something more odd than a 1911 as a first gun. It's your money do what you want.
>>
>>29706575
noobs always gravitate to the 1911, it's the hallmark of a new gun enthusiast. they're awesome guns but not that great for ammo cost, capacity, weight or concealment (not sure if you wanted to do that)

it's just a great piece of history and fun shooter but a more versatile gun would suit you better for your first gun man. the inevitable "get a glock 19". There I said it.

Seriously though... get one. Get the 1911 next :) or both if you're ballin
>>
the first gun with real bullets i ever shot was a 22 revolver, and then a 9mm, then 45acp, then my friends ar15 all in the same day. shit was cash, but what ever caliber that isnt a 50 and hold tight. u be arright
>>
>>29708689
buy*
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29706575
You do whatever you want friendo, but a 1911 is not a beginners gun. Even though it's painfully generic, the Glock brand Glock 19 is probably the best first pistol.

I learned to shoot pistols with my grandmothers Glock 19. I learned how to handle it and how to maintain it as well.

My first gun that I purchased was a CZ P07 Duty. I paid too much for it, but it was a damn fine first pistol. Only downside is its aftermarket support.

Next pistol was a Sig P226R. Absolutely love that gun. Great ergos, and shoots better than I can. Still own it and shoot it.

Next was my SA Loaded 1911. Don't get me wrong, I love a good 1911, but it was a bitch getting to run right. It didn't like CMC Power Mags (which I bought 3 already), wasn't reliable, and shot way too high. I had to send it back to SA (awesome CS) for the sights and reliability. Came back shooting point of aim but still wasn't reliable. I took a chance and bought a few Wilson 47D's and an 18.5 lb main spring. Problem solved. Shot over 1000 rounds with no issues. It's currently at the SA custom shop getting tightened up and getting an NM threaded barrel for my can.

Point of this rambling, a 1911 is an enthusiasts pistol, not a beginners. You need to start out with a reliable and comfortable modernish gun to learn the basics.

And a 22 for a first gun is pretty fucking stupid IMO. 9mm is just a little more expensive and you can trust it to CC.
>>
>>29706575
Get a Glock :^)
>>
>>29708736
>dem plastic feels, family
>>
>>29706575
Love the 1911. It's what I learned on as a kid once I move up from .22s. Got a Paraord sf45 that's my fav pistol now. Nothing like a high cap 1911. Though purists will cry about their 7 rnd mags and ergonomics. Get what you want op.
>>
I also taught my wife pistol on a 1911. She'd never fired a pistol and she's a hell of a good shot now. It's all about the training.
>>
>>29706575

To this day I'll never understand why people suggest anything in .22lr for a first handgun. You aren't going to be able to use it for home defense or carry.

It'll be range toy can killer at best and you won't be prepared to handle the concussion or recoil when you start shooting big boy calibers and you're going to start flinching and anticipating all over again while you spend more money.

>durr fundamentals

You can learn on 9mm and have an actually useful firearm. Imagine that.

>>29708714

Listen to this guy.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.