[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>thousands of sailors repeatedly failed fitness tests, with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: ameriFAT.jpg (1 MB, 3132x3168) Image search: [Google]
ameriFAT.jpg
1 MB, 3132x3168
>thousands of sailors repeatedly failed fitness tests, with some resorting to liposuction

TOP KEK
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 275x184
>mfw
>>
>26% body fat

That's almost moribly obese, the fuck?
>>
>>29697951
Why don't they just drop the fat shits and let more recruits in? Seriously instead of making people wait months and months just drop the dead weight already
>>
File: 1457623184729.jpg (803 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1457623184729.jpg
803 KB, 5000x5000
>adjusting to a larger population generally
>adjusting to a larger population
>>
>>29697951
> navy crewmen are gonna sink their own ships by running to one side to watch the dolphins.
>>
>>29697973
I am 27%. Morbid starts at 29%. The dude who looks like his FUPA hides his dick, and can't make it into the store without losing breath is 40% or so. 26% is a Gomer Pyle. Keep in mind, a lot of <30% BMI people are still relatively fit and can still compete with people lower on the scale. >30% that margin tapers off and those fuckers can't PT for shit.

>You're fat
I am a tanker.
>>
To be fair, a lot of good troops are let go from the service for failing to meet a BMI percentage. Just because someone is fat doesn't mean they can't run or pass a PT test. Being fat doesn't mean you are terrible at your job either.
>>
>>29697995
At least they'll float even without life vests.
>>
>>29698296
>30% BMI people are still relatively fit

Keep telling yourself that, my big boned friend
>>
>>29698874
I never said that, get a reading comprehension kid. I clearly said less than, not greater than.

Being 27% body fat I still get 240s on my PT tests. 2 mile runs in 15 minutes, 50-60 pushups in 2 minutes, 60 situps in 2 minutes... I'd hardly call that being unfit. Fit isn't an antonym for fat. I am fat as fuck, but I am not unfit.

I knew a guy who was much bigger than me his anatomy wouldn't let him do army standard pushups cause his stomach rested on the ground, and he got 13m+ 2 mile runs.... againt, the two words have little correlation, but that's a product of genetics and diet, lesser lifestyle. If any of us didn't eat like shit we would be even more fit, and less heavy both.
>>
File: paras.png (1007 KB, 551x851) Image search: [Google]
paras.png
1007 KB, 551x851
>>29700342
>m-muh genetics
kek you're still defending that people with 30%+ BMI are fit, your standards for fitness barely pass for basic training at most. Fat is simply dead weight in the military and serves no purpose unless you are training for arctic warfare.

stay pleb fatty
>>
>>29698309
tub of lard detected
>>
>>29700733
>30% that margin tapers off and those fuckers can't PT for shit.
You still can't read, even after I told you where you couldn't read.
>>
>>29700733

>Milling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDw8comFpio
>>
>>29700733
Technically fat people are better at weight bearing. <135 lb (< means less than, so 129.9 and under lbs) and short staturted people are always the first to fall out of a ruck march. The picture actually discredits what's in your post.
>>
>>29700837
That's only if you include women.
>>
>>29700844
>has never done a ruck march
You can't make a claim if you have no experience with what you are talking about. I know you have no experience because your anecdotal post counter-reflects the reality of the situation.
>>
Change PT to actually be effective and not just for show.

More of the duty day spent doing pt.

Get service members to sleep 8 hours a day.

Improve mess hall food.

Get rid of soda and energy drinks on bases and ships.

Free coffee everywhere on bases and ships.

Stress causes stress eating. Reduce stress when possible.
>>
>>29701060
This guy is on point to fixing the problem. No one in the Army has maxed a PT test doing Army Approved PRT. However lengthening PT has its own problems, most overweight issues are attributed to shitty eating and not lack of Army PT. You can eat healthy and do Army PT and still lose weight pretty fast.
>>
>>29701060
I feel like pt should stay where it is but that personnel should get encouragement to eat healthy and do some pt on their own, pretty much everything >>29701107 said
>>
>>29701107
Last garrison CSM I had banned soldiers from the gyms during morning pt time. Could not even go in to use them on your own if it was a day off for you.

Lifting weights burns a lot of calories.

Get soldiers doing squats and bench press. Pt scores will go up.
>>
If you're a male and over 20% body fat or under 175lbs you don't belong in the military.
>>
Great, now we'll never win the Army-Navy games since their line will be a solid wall of body fat.
>>
>>29701147
The problem with PT is its a group effort, when the upper 90th percentile of it should be an individual event. There's no reason a marathon sprinter should be stuck running in a formation set by the slowest runner, typically someone who is really shitty at running. Its a waste for people who can run. Cardio events like that aren't usually the only group effort that hold people back. I think PT needs a complete reform because of this.

And DFACs do need better food, and more funding for it. Or better yet, a commissary card, or BAS allotment. I ate healthier when I got BAS then I ever did at the DFAC. Healthy food options exist, but they either taste like shit (undercooked fish and chicken, expired salad etc) or are small in number.

>>29701181
To be fair, CSM is a shitbag rank. Arguably, percentagely, the largest in the Army, its no surprise they do that, we also had that same issue everywhere I went. Minus the off duty thing, I have a problem putting my head around that one.

>>29701210
That's literally a 1/3rd or more of the Army.
>>
>>29701351
>>29701181
On the note of shitbag CSM's this thread is really funny.
>>
>>29701210
You do realize that about 70% of the military works desk jobs right
>>
>>29701392
forgot the link https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/4fiiho/which_rank_has_the_most_shit_bags_and_why_is_it/ >>29701351 >>29701181
>>
>>29701351
Which is why we should cut defense spending. Gives us a chance to get rid of the embarrassments.
>>
>>29701399
If you can't take care of yourself, don't put on the uniform.
>>
>>29701444
So we should make everyone extremely high maintenance and spend more money kicking out more people? That sounds like a bigger problem then a solution. I mean, I understand fat people. But not everyone in the army is a human Orc. Or steroids jacked gym rat, cause that's the next step up from the standard you just set.
>>
>>29698874
Eh, BMI is far from perfect.

>you're 6'5 and 230lbs
>even though you APPEAR to be decently muscular and fit, when we compare your height to your weight, it says you're fat at a 27 BMI

BMI is literally trash. Have you seen those cool laser arm cuff things that actually determine your fat percentage? I came in at 15%. Pretty far below the 27% that idiotic BMI calculation says I am.

BMI is the equivalent to believing that correlation implies causation. We know that it doesn't, but we seem to operate off of the assumption that it does.
>>
>>29701491
It's not often I genuinely feel bad for someone, but considering you think being under 20% bf and not underweight as being a step away from being on steroids... I'm lost for words. What's a gym near you? I'll buy you your first month.
>>
>>29701537
Daily reminder - The Majority of Army BMI tests go like this. Your age and height are put against a weight scale. Older members get 2% allowable increase in BMI every 10 years or so. If your weight is over x height, you are taped. Which is the most retarded test I have ever seen, the circumference of the neck is measured against the neck, compared to overall height and weight again. Case in point, if you have a small neck you are fucked. If you are jabba the hut you can be 50% BMI and still pass.

>>29701569
You can be 10% body fat and big as fuck, body fat percentage does not calculate for muscle. You missed the point entirely.
>>
>>29701616
I meant neck circumference is put against waist circumference.
>>
File: muhreen.jpg (20 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
muhreen.jpg
20 KB, 236x314
>>29697961
>>
>>29701616
I never implied that it did. You said that the next step up from being under 20% bodyfat was being on roids. Implying that it's an impossible goal without the assistance of drugs. But speaking of high maintenance... What's worse? Scheduling an effective workout regime/diet or dealing with the medical issues of literally being obese.
>>
>>29701628
>>29701628
I've seen army base gyms full of fat bodies doing neck and shoulder exercises. Trying to get their neck bigger one or two inches. So they can pass tape. Mostly older fuckers that are close to the 20 year mark.
>>
File: 244.png (550 KB, 850x488) Image search: [Google]
244.png
550 KB, 850x488
>>29697951

>36 percent.
>>
>>29701537
I'm 5'8" and 225 pounds. My BMI is 34.2 with these two numbers, clearly into the "obese" category. My waist is 34" and I wear a 50 regular suit jacket.

So yes, BMI is not really a good indicator of anything/
>>
>>29701957

>34 waist

Whatever you say general Muffin Top.
>>
>>29702008
34 isn't big
>>
>>29702114
you missed his point.
>>
>>29701537
>>29701537

It's a good indicator for the vast majority of the population, like IQ. It's not perfect but it's ok for the purpose it serves

>>29701957

BMI is only poor in people with lots of muscle (i.e. not you). 5'8" with a 34" waist is fat as fuck, sorry bro

t. /fit/
>>
>>29697951
There was some sailors walking around campus yesterday and all of them were walk together except one super fat one lagging behind. When I passed him he was breathing like he just ran a marathon and they had only been walking.
>>
>>29702157
Different anon, but I'm 5'8" with a 34" waist and I'm just wide as a motherfucker. 190lb with like 26% bmi. I'm just a tree trunk tier manlet. Sucks.
>>
The BMI percentage of a xeno, miso, and exomorphic body time can be the same, but they will all look different too.
>>
>>29702167
they should make a division called navy whales
>>
File: b1_2362.jpg (35 KB, 508x317) Image search: [Google]
b1_2362.jpg
35 KB, 508x317
>>29697951
Maybe if 30% of the fucking time wasn't spent watching pick God damn related and soldiers were out training in the field we wouldn't have so many fucking fatasses walking around.
>>
>"your anecdotal post counter-reflects the reality of the situation."

LOL, best line I have read all day.
>>
>>29702157
>doesn't know how big chest/shoulders need to be to require a 50 regular suit jacket
>fat as fuck, bro
>t. /fit/

I pull lmao5pl8 for diddy, son.
You must be one of those always-on-a-cut-gotta-be-like-zyzz-aesthetics-over-strength dudes.
>>
>>29697951
>Not lowering standards, but adjusting to a larger population generally

That's the most blatantly obvious line of bullshit I've ever read. If that were the case, update the height-weight standards and re-institute the high first-class PFT rule: Guy gets a high first-class they don't fuck with him.

I got out of the Marines in 2014 and they didn't care that my PFT's were all above 280, they taped me at every weigh in. That shit needs to stop. Worst part is I am so fucking far from fat, it's just the height-weight standards at 79" are fucking retarded. I put on a sliver of muscle at my height and I'm over weight standards.
>>
>>29706281
I forgot to mention that this was the way things were when I came in until about 2009. After I re-enlisted then, they started instituting idiotic shit like the military appearance program, forcing Marines who were PT studs and decorated combat vets into the Body-Composition Program just because they didn't look trim in Service Charlie's.
>>
Military still has control over the food menu right?
Anyone that fails gets the kale / spinach and soup only diet.
>>
>>29706703
no.

if you are E6 and above, or married, you get BAS to buy your own food. E5 and below are "expected" to eat in the mess hall. Though no one makes them eat in the mess hall.
>>
Fifty years old, thirty years of service and still going.
6'2", 220 lb. 15% body fat and my BMI is 32.5.

According to the doctor I'm obese and must lose twenty pounds.
This is the doctor that I beat in every run, doing push ups and sit ups.

BMI is only good for shaming people who do not live an active lifestyle.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>29697973
>>29698296
>>29698874
>>29700342

>Be me. 5' 11". 218lbs.
>Be in Army.
>PT test aww yissss!
>PU: 76 SU: 89 2 mile: 13:36
>Not even tired.
>Height Weight time: NO-GO! Appropriate weight at height: 185lbs.
>BF measure time : 28% NO-GO!
>MFW bbbut I passed all the tests!
>MFW NO GO FATTY!
>>
>>29706900
>https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/4fiiho/which_rank_has_the_most_shit_bags_and_why_is_it/

Army is getting a whole new PFT.
>>
>>29707019
Wrong link.
>http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2016/02/18/acting-army-secretary-gender-neutral-fitness-test-coming-soon-patrick-murphy-apft/80566724/
>>
>>29707029
Link says the new test won't give a shit about your weight. You do the tasks, you're good to go.
>>
>>29706370

At least you're tall as fuck. Go post on /fit/ for some free points.
>>
>>29707052
That's how it should be.
>>
>>29700733
Shit man, those excercises were like morning PT for my unit. 20 mile hikes were Friday things though, eats up too much time.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.