[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the 300 savage round slowly dying out? I have a savage model
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 300 savage.jpg (171 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
300 savage.jpg
171 KB, 880x660
Is the 300 savage round slowly dying out? I have a savage model 99 and I enjoy shooting it but I am noticing that it is becoming harder and harder to find. Is there going to be a point when this round is impossible to find?
The reason I want to keep this gun is because my grandfather owned it and hunted deer and even killed a black bear with it once. It is important to me. I would like to maintain it and keep it working for as long as possible.
>>
>>29587341
I see 300 sav a lot, and you can still get 303 savage if you look hard enough. That round has been considered obsolete for the last 40yrs.

You'll be fine. Reload if you are concerned.
>>
It's dead Jim.
>>
>literally any savage cartridge
>"dying out"

They're already dead. Sure, you can still find plenty of ~$25 boxes of Core Lokt and Powershok around, but those boxes have probably been sitting around in that store a few years already. Handload if you want to keep using it.
>>
>>29587341
I can find it for $1.25 a shot and only in soft point hunting kind. It's a fun round to shoot but yeah, it's dead.
>>
>>29587413
>shit that isn't true

Why do people post if all they are going to do is make things up?

Multiple companies do a yearly production of 300 savage.
>>
>>29587341
I just bought a Savage in .250-3000
>>
That's shitty.

My most treasured rifle is Winchester model 70 that my grandfather owned..

It's in .270 Win though, which I guess is lucky
>>
>>29587437
And Federal still makes .45 GAP HST's what is your point? Why are you personally insulted by the widespread disuse .300 Savage has fallen into? Along with most other Savage cartridges.
>>
I have a solution.

Reload
>>
I don't know much about fudd calibers
>>
>>29587490

>claims 300 sav is not made

>it is made

>Why are you mad?

My question now, is why do you post when clearly you don't know what you are talking about? Do you really think 300 sav is hard to find, when it is still made and most LGS have it on the shelf? It isn't 308, but is isn't 11mm Mauser.
>>
>>29587505
>fudd
>wanting to preserve a rifle that has family history behind it
Shiggy diggy
>>
>>29587523
He didn't say it's not made, he said it was dead. Which it is. No new rifles are being made in the caliber, what loads are made are few and far between, and as you yourself said the companies who do make it do so once a year or two. That's effectively dead.
>>
>>29587341
Manufacturers make uncommon ammo seasonally, you just have to keep an eye out and buy it when you see it (but don't be an asshole and hoard all of it, everyone hates that guy). And learn to reload.

I just bought a couple boxes of .303Britt not too long ago, left a few for those who may have wanted it. The struggle is real.
>>
>>29587563

You must be tired from moving the goal posts.
>>
>>29587523
I didn't say it wasn't made. Once again, you seem to have taken my comment personally. Beyond that, I told OP to reload, which, whether or not the cartridge is in fact "made" is his best course of action. So instead of getting so hung up on what you, and others consider to be a dead cartridge that you seem to have so much invested in, post some links for OP to start his .300 Savage reloading setup, which I assume you have considering your level of defensiveness. Then again, you probably don't have one, seeing as factory ammunition is your major concern.

>TLDR you are an idiot

I think we can all agree on that.
>>
>>29587590
Let me guess, I'm samefagging too aren't I?
>>
File: 20141227_192133.jpg (3 MB, 5047x2839) Image search: [Google]
20141227_192133.jpg
3 MB, 5047x2839
>>29587482
my most treasured is my late grandfather's Stevens Model 55 chambered in .22unobtainium. Which isnt all that hard tp find at the moment.

At least i can take solace in the fact that the round will be in production forever.
>>
>>29587607
>anyone who argues with me is taking it personally.

>It can never be because I am wrong

Your perspective for what is dead is hilariously bad. A cartridge that is still made is relatively large quantities and can be found with little to no searching is hardly dead.

Please, buy a rifle in a caliber that isn't 308 or 556, get some perspective.

But no, I do not own any rifles in 300 savage, nor do I reload for it. I have often considered buying a model 99, but am stopped by the fact I can't decide if I prefer 300 sav, 358 win, or 22 Hi-power.

I do have a savage made Lee-Enfield, not really relevant, but it is a cool piece.

As for helping OP get into reloading, here is a PDF of the 48th lyman manual. It includes a small section of 300 sav data, and a general overview of how to reload. I hope it helps.

http://www.j-how.net/test/Lyman%2048th%20Reloading%20Handbook%20[blackatk].pdf

>>29587621
No, you are clearly the dumber of the two people I am arguing with. The other guy at least
tries.
>>
>>29587722
>get some perspective

Interesting, I might tell you to do the same, since clearly the microcosm of your local gun shop speaks volumes to the wide world of shooting sports and commonly available calibers. However, you are not a total moron, and did in fact do something useful in this thread. Congratulations.

>thanks for helping me out anon, I would have never been able to do it without your personal attacks on my worldview about the availability of factory ammunition for a .300 Savage rifle, but in the end, I gave OP something he can actually use instead of the memory of my autism.

Your welcome anon
>>
>>29587763

>claiming a well know caliber chambered in several million guns is hard to find

>saying others are ignorant.

You know what friend.

You are actually too dense to discuss anything with. Your projecting in that post is actually sad to witness.

Have a wonderful day.
>>
Hi Wyatt!!!!!
>>
>>29587341

I think Cabelas had some Remington Core-Lokt
>>
>>29587341
I shoot .300 Weatherby and had no idea .300 Savage was a thing, so yeah it's probably not doing so good.
>>
So it's like a shorter, fatter 30-06. Huh.
>>
Bump for Lever Guns
>>
>>29587341
Ammo sites.
Ammoseek, luckygunner, slickguns, etc.
You can buy it from the otherside of the country and receive it at home without papieren.
>>
>>29587341
>be me at show
>see a savage 99 takedown in .30-30 for $400
>didnt buy it (was more interested in French milsurp rifles)
>tfw regret
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.