[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you ever use a bow and arrow as home self-defense?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: 4929302647_b909aafa8f_b.jpg (404 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
4929302647_b909aafa8f_b.jpg
404 KB, 1024x819
Would you ever use a bow and arrow as home self-defense?
>>
No, that's why god invented guns.
>>
>>29585778
Only if I can shoot .45acp out of it.
>>
>>29585778
No, arrows don't tumble through the body and tend to create a clean hole.
>>
Good fucking god no. Saiga/VEPR 12 with sharpened muzzle brake please.
>>
>>29585778
If there was nothing else
>>
>>29585778

Yes, because bows were invented once we began to realize that guns were too weak, and we needed something with longer range and more stopping power.
>>
>>29585906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxP6JrRv6Ks

You don't bow hunt do you?
>>
>>29585957
I was gonna say you could put some kind of pain causing poison on the tips but then I think that would be more illegal than straight up shooting someone in the head and I'd rather have to paint the walls then have some low class asshole come for my money.
>>
>>29585778
Only if it blows up when it hits people.
>>
yeah if that's all I had on hand
>>
Good luck getting a decent draw in an enclosed area
>>
File: Toxic-2.jpg (143 KB, 1399x879) Image search: [Google]
Toxic-2.jpg
143 KB, 1399x879
>>29585906
idk mang pic related would fuck up your day pretty hard.

that being said id use my bow for home defense only as a last resort. the obvious exception being some sort of crazy SHTF that requires more stealth/conservation of ammo.
>>
If I had no other option, yes
>>
>>29585963
Underrated post. That is amazing.
>>
>>29585963
What kind of bow should I get if I want to start practicing for hunting?
>>
>>29585963

Why don't they die instantly and why do they die eventually even after the arrow falls out?
>>
>>29586043
Any compound in the 300 dollar price range.

You could go to literally any archery store and say, "I have 300 dollars hook me up" and they will gladly do so.

Just make sure they know your price range to start.
>>
File: Siege of Orleans_0.jpg (62 KB, 623x413) Image search: [Google]
Siege of Orleans_0.jpg
62 KB, 623x413
>>29585778

If I had to but imo the bow is just something you keep by your bed as a 'im getting to my pots of boiling oil' weapon.

Don't want to end up like pic related
>>
>>29586075
Good shot placement. Huge entry hole. Show in the leg/through the chest. If you look you can see blood spurting out as they run. Just bunches. I'm not a hunter though so maybe someone can explain it better.
>>
>>29586075
Have you EVER been hunting? Unless you spine a deer the chances of them dropping dead on that very spot even with a 30-06 is slim. Even if you explode the heart they are still making it 3-5 leaps before they go down.
>>
>>29586043
you can get a good enough compound for ~$400. many nowadays even come with a quiver, cheap stabilizer, cheap arrow rest, and a cheap sight. you could totally hunt with a lot of bows right out of the box but getting better equipment does help.
getting a good set of arrows, mechanical release, broadheads, a sight, dropaway rest, and stabilizer will quickly add up to another $2-300. could cost much more depending on what you want tho.
>>
>>29585963
>HEY LOOK OVER HERE YOU FAT ANTLERED FUCK
>*thwack*
Literally trolled to death.
>>
>>29585963
Is deer meat good? Now that I'm getting older I find the idea of shooting my own meat humane and economical. What does it taste like though?
>>
>>29586119
This is why a lot of us recommend a 300 dollar price point for the bow. The bow is hardly every the issue when it comes to new shooters. You can drop 1000 dollars on a bow and get some 2 dollar arrows and I can tell you exactly where your problem is.

Accessories to a bow add up quick and arrows add up even quicker.
>>
>>29586145
Venison is fucking delicious. It's got more flavor than beef, and tends to run leaner. You can prepare it pretty much any way you'd prepare beef and it'll come out great.
>>
>>29586115
>Have you EVER been hunting?

No I haven't. Why the emphasis you autistic faggot? Thanks for the answer though. I guess they just bleed to death or die from the shock/pain?
>>
>>29586145
Closest comparison is the nicest, leanest beef you ever had in your life. *If* you shoot and clean it correctly.
>>
>>29586145

It tastes amazing. I know it sounds weird but you can actually taste the forest taste in it, the pine trees. I've only had it in restaurants though.
>>
>>29586156
>>29586168
>>29586174
Cool. I'm definitely adding deer hunting/venison to my bucket list.
>>
>>29586145
There really is no good way to describe it other than 'gamey' it doesn't taste bad at all, but most aren't used to the taste.

We mix it with 20% pork to add fat so it isn't so lean and to take a little of the gamey taste out of it. I get a couple deer every year and don't buy any other meat.

A couple 80 pound doe's make a lot of ground burger and a few choice cuts.
>>
>>29586157
They normally tend to bleed out.

If they shot is bad they can suffocate first.

If the shot is horrible they will die from infection.

You will know if it's a good shot if you can see bubbles in the blood. You will know if it's a bad shot if you can't find the deer.
>>
>>29586224
>You will know if it's a bad shot if you can't find the deer.

kek
>>
>>29585963
These weirdos are just a little too horned up about the blood and carnage.
>>
>>29586009
That is the RIP round of arrowheads
>>
>>29585778
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Stop what you're doing and watch this video, before you make any of the wrong decisions or buy into the hype that is modern archery. Lars Andersen has studied the actual historical texts that warrior archers learned from, and compiled a style created from accurate, practicality driven teachings. Modern archers will want to load you up with all kinds of compounds bows, sights, quivers, carbon fiber arrows, etc. These are all generic consumer products that will not actually help you grow as an archer, rather hinder you by building bad habits and reliance on them.

Seriously, don't fall into the modern myths of archery, the study is changing and Lars is leading the way, following him is following thousands of years of far more effective archers than we can hope to become today.
>>
>>29586009
Which is the best SHTF item, Bow or crossbow?
>>
>>29586481
>but i like my mateba...
>>
>>29586481
How much does the bow he has cost? I want one.
>>
>>29586511
personally i think crossbows are for retards that cant shoot a bow. the only real advantages they have over a bow in my mind is being able to fire while prone and ease of use for people that cant fire a real bow
>>
>>29586481
It's funny that he was proven to be a fraud.

Sucker born every minute I guess.
>>
>>29586511
Fully automatic crossbow of course
>>
>>29586481
nice memes. while certainly cool that he can do all that shit, we arent fighting from horseback or running through the woods anymore. all that shit is mostly irrelevant to how we shoot today in competitions or hunting. not to mention that modern bows and equipment mean we have some of the longest reaching and most accurate/fastest/powerful equipment ever.
>>
>>29586589
>Video
>You: Nuh uh because muh feels
>>
>>29585831
http://www.amazon.com/Rac-Em-Bac-REB600-06-Arrowhead-Black-Finish/dp/B00CJJ9YP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460503968&sr=8-1&keywords=bow-mag

Behold, my negro.
>>
>>29585993
>what are treestands and ground blinds.
This isn't Ye Olde Anglande, modern compounds are very compact.
>>
>>29586009
>7/8 inch cutting diameter
>spring steel blades that bend around important shit and/or collapse against the ferrule
>nonreplaceable blades
>chisel tip
"no"
>>
>>29586043
Diamond Infinite Edge
>fast
>forgiving
>extremely adjustable for draw weight and length (13-30" and 5-70lbs)
>light
>compact
>comes with decent sight, rest, and quiver
>under $300
>>
>>29585812
>>29585831
god I love this anime website
>>
>>29586119
Dropaway rests are unneeded for hunting, there's a reason capture rests are so fucking popular.

The $20 Dart stabilizer is fine for hunting.

Arrows can get pricey, I pay about $110 per dozen for Piledrivers but those are specialty. Expect to pay at least $65/doz.

The sight and quiver on package bows is sufficient for your first few years, minimum.
>>
>>29585993
I get a decent draw from not only a deer stand where I am only hanging on by a lean-on-me body harness, but but also from a single person turkey blind I have to crouch in.
>>
>>29586740
yea i mostly agree drop aways arent required but most of the bowhunters i know shoot regularly at the range to stay sharp and in competitions as well, and they use their same setup for those purposes so a dropaway is preferred. whiskerbiscuits and the like are fine for the people who put less than a hundred arrows through their bow in a year. but people who put a 100 arrows through their bow in a week will wear out the whisker biscuit pretty quick and itll reflect that on the target, especially when you shoot at distances over 30 yards.

as for the sight, it does depend on what you get but most of those cheapo sights arent exactly professional grade. for starting out theyre fine but if youre committed to the sport and dont shoot more than twice a year then youll quickly develop past that sights capabilities.
>>
File: 1430856272424.jpg (10 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
1430856272424.jpg
10 KB, 198x255
>>29586481
>Lars Andersen has studied the actual historical texts that warrior archers learned from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4&nohtml5=False
>>
>>29585973
Turok is that you
>>
There are crossbows that can be stored long term in a strung state, almost all bows that aren't compound bows are highly recommended to be stored unstrung. That's not me saying you should use a crossbow in home defense, but something to keep in mind if you'e thinking of picking up a cheap bow.

I actually think a crossbow has a very slight edge over a bow for this situation because you don't have to pull a string back while fighting adrenaline at the moment of firing, you could have a goat's foot on the crossbow, ready to cock it whenever you need to, and at that point all you do is pull it back and put the bolt on and then you're ready to fire whenever you need to, and the firing is as easy as pointing the thing and pulling a trigger, there's less chance of you fucking that up than when you're trying to fire a bow.

That being said, they're both terrible choices. even a shitty handgun is better than bows or crossbows.
>>
>>29586995
>tons of dislikes
>amateur archer skills
>relevant
>female
looool
>>
File: When a goddess overdrinks.png (481 KB, 961x535) Image search: [Google]
When a goddess overdrinks.png
481 KB, 961x535
>>29588197
>implying downvotes from larsfags count
>implying downvotes are a measure of information accuracy
>implying you aren't a tremendous faggot
>>
>>29585963

these guys are fucking orgasming per each kill
>>
>>29585778
Only if it's the last or only option. Unless you have the element of surprise, the reload time would get you killed or give the attacker time to run away.

Though it would be pretty easy for the cops to find and arrest someone running around with a big-ass arrow sticking out of their chest.
>>
>>29586582
Asshole
>>
>>29586995

great video
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.