[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are gun metaphors used everywhere?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Loaded language.jpg (197 KB, 1484x638) Image search: [Google]
Loaded language.jpg
197 KB, 1484x638
>loaded question
>potshot
>snapshot
>dodged a bullet
>shooting blanks
>half-cocked
>riding shotgun
>looking down the barrel
>the right caliber
>a sword to a gunfight
>bullet points
>when arguing you should stick to your guns
>target your opponents
>take aim at bad legislation
>the news agency is under fire
>shooting for a high mark
>he takes a shot (sports)
>shooting ourselves in the foot
>no silver bullet solution

I think guns only come second to dicks when it comes to metaphors.
>>
implies danger
>>
>>29580066
Anyone got the cap of the guy who made that monstrous rebuttal to a guy in entirely gun metaphors?
>>
>>29580066
Because before people became pussies, the firearm was a daily part of life. And once people started becoming pussies, WWII happened and un-fucked them. The overwhelming majority of English speaking men saw some kind of military service.
>>
>>29580066
Good list so far, but not all of 'em,....
not by a longshot
>>
>>29580066
Because guns are a huge part of popular culture in the US. Germany and other cuck countries don't have the same history and culture concerning firearms so they're less enriched.
>>
>>29580066
you forgot
>lots of loyalty for a hired gun
>>
>>29580066
Some were metaphors for actual scenarios involving firearms.

> Riding Shotgun
The man riding to the right of the stagecoach driver often carried a shotgun for defense.

>don't go half cocked
Older muskets had two positions. Half cocked put the hammer half wat up so you could load and powder it, though it could not be tired until it was full cocked.Thus the full exexpression was "Don't go off to war half cocked."
>>
>>29580066
Because guns became popular at roughly the same time as the printing press, so when the language got standardized, firearm expressions were included.

also
>lock, stock and barrel
>flash in the pan
>shooting your wad
>hair trigger
>>
File: starter pistol.jpg (87 KB, 634x422) Image search: [Google]
starter pistol.jpg
87 KB, 634x422
>starter pistols
>teaching kids how to survive school shootings from elementary
>>
It's a cultural history thing. Dutch for example has a ton of nautical metaphors as a result of heavy involvement in seafaring.
>>
>>29580941
Why would someone shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane
>>
>>29580066

Crippling autism, the post

>>loaded question
Has nothing to with guns, everything to do with how packed a question is with self-incriminating language. If it has some, then its not a regular question, as it is loaded with other connotations and insinuations.

>>snapshot
Refers to photography, not guns. I have never heard the term mentioned in anything other than photography.

>>riding shotgun
Due to the person in the passenger seat literally aiming a shotgun (and later Tommygun) out the window during gangster time chases and drive-bys

>>bullet points
because they are shaped like bullets you mong. Should we say elongated hemispheres instead you PC cuck?

>>target your opponents
not even remotely relevant to guns, Target: 1. Verb: select as an object of attention or attack.

>>he takes a shot (sports)
You corrected yourself on this one, though it may have been inspired in some loose by guns, I highly doubt it.
>>
>>29585157
(you)
>>
>>29580854
kek
>>
>>29585157
riding shotgun comes from coach guards you retarded fuck and the majority of those other did have their start with firearms before they were applied to the retarded shit you mentioned.
>>
>>29580066
Jews
>>
>don't kill yourself with a gun
>you'll only give liberals ammunition against us

always makes me cringe
>>
>>29580066
because it's dramatic, duh.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.