[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the .300 Win mag for? It is an excellent elk and moose
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: recoil.jpg (86 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
recoil.jpg
86 KB, 640x640
What is the .300 Win mag for? It is an excellent elk and moose cartridge, but a 7mm-08 loaded with a good bullet will also kill elk and moose with about half the recoil. Any of the 6.5 mm magnums will have better long-range performance. Perhaps it is useful for stopping a charging bear, but then again, perhaps a 375 H&H would be better.
>>
>>29577975
its for shooting...

that shoulder looks like you dont know how to handle a rifle.
>>
>>29577975
300 Win Mag is a 30-06 with a flatter trajectory making 1000yrd shooting somewhat easier. If you aren't shooting A LOT past 500yrds, then just use a normal caliber.
>>
OP you sound like a fag. i shoot 40mm DU sabots from the shoulder without a muzzle brake or stock.
>>
>>29578023
That' because it isn't a picture of me. It's a picture I found on the internet.

>>29578026
At that distance, group size becomes more important than bullet drop. Jeff Cooper called this the morning glory effect.
>>
>see that guy a mile thatta way?
>Fuck him
>>
>>29578066
As if you could hit anything that far except from a benchrest.
>>
>>29578023
How do you even do that? Like how much shooting do you need to do?

I've gone through five boxes of shells in a single day and just be a little sore the next morning.
>>
>>29578023
thats the shoulder after firing a barrett 50 without a bipod like a lot of american retards do
>>
>>29578061
Group size always matters. Taking a 3moa rifle to a thousand yard match would make no sense. A flatter trajectory should make it easier to get hits at range and a bit more velocity wont hurt at long range either.
>>
>>29578103
not even close, I shouldered 5 rounds out of Hallway's 107 at NF, and it licks less than my Benelli
>>
>>29578023
>t. 40 year old man with no inference skills and reeks of bourbon
>>
>>29578155
are you zeus because thats the equivalent force of getting hit by a golf cart going 20
>>
>>29578173
You realize the barrel recoils in a such away to mitigated felt recoils right?
>>
>>29578183
no i didnt, i just did the mental math based on the rifles weight and the power of the kick, i didnt know shit about the design desu
>>
>>29578140
You missed my point. A rifle that shoots sub MOA from a benchrest will NOT shoot that well at 300+ yards under field conditions. At that distance, your group size may well be larger than the vital zone of the animal, making it foolish and even unethical to take such a long shot.
>>
>>29578103
i think you mean yankee not american
>>
>>29578204
How is this a problem inherent to .300 Winmag?
>>
>>29578230
He's english, we're all yankees to them.
>>
>>29578204
Which is why you sight in from a bench to make sure the rifle is capable of doing what you want, then get out and practice at different ranges from different positions. My favorite thing in the world is to find a coulie and play Random Ass Rocks with my family. "Hey bro, bet I can hit that white bastard three ridges over and half way down." "How far is that?" "Dunno. I'll put the rear to 450 and we'll see."
>>
>>29577975

I have one of those, it's practically an anti-matriel rifle.
Its pretty much for blowing off limbs and little else.
>>
>>29578204
>>29578204
You are so fucking dumb. A rifles mechanical accuracy does not change between a bench rest and an offhand shot. It's practical, end user accuracy does, sure. But two equal rifles, one mechanically capable of 1moa the other 3 moa, which do you think will be more accurate under field conditions dumbass
>>
for killing 2 leg walking mammals at large distance. The military uses it for super long range
>>
.30-30 master race
>>
>>29578647
this
>>29578506
you're functionally retarded. 300 winmag is good for critters (including people) at 500-800 yards
>>
File: XM2010_November_2010.jpg (93 KB, 1920x807) Image search: [Google]
XM2010_November_2010.jpg
93 KB, 1920x807
I'm planning on buying a 300 wm rifle?
worth it for non military?
just for fun, I don't even care about hunting animals.
>>
>>29577975
It's just how you like to do things.

You can "laminate" a piece of paper perfectly well using 3" strips of packaging tape, but it's a lot more reliable and easier using a full laminate envelope.

fuckin .223 is plenty enough to kill lots of shit in North America, but it's certainly easier to make shit dead with larger bullets.

Risk vs reward senpai
>>
>>29578271
It isn't, but it defeats to purpose of long range shooting.
>>29578398
Unless you have extraordinarily steady hands, you will not be able to hit an animal at that distance without risking a miss or gut shot.
>>29578647
>It's practical, end user accuracy does, sure.
Which is what matters when you are shooting at an animal.
>But two equal rifles, one mechanically capable of 1moa the other 3 moa, which do you think will be more accurate under field conditions dumbass
But we're not talking about that. My original point was that a high-velocity magnum will give you little advantage over a rifle shooting at 2600 fps because the distance at which bullet drop becomes important is the distance at which practical group size is so big that you shouldn't take the shot anyway.
>>29578732
See >>29578061
>>29578762
>300 winmag is good for critters (including people) at 500-800 yards
Implying you could hit an animal at that distance without risking a gutshot. You probably wouldn't care about gutshooting an enemy soldier, but a game animal? That's just wrong.
>>29578837
.223 is the other extreme. It's underpowered for anything larger than a coyote. 7mm-08 is a good balance, powerful enough to kill anything weighing up to half a ton yet gentle enough for a child to shoot.
>>
>>29578837
>>29578920

It's underpowered, but still works. Just in the same way that anything bigger than 7mm (what I use personally, because I agree with you) also still works but instead of "powerful enough" it's "you don't have to worry as much because it's extra powerful than what you need"

Nobody's ever complained of having too much, but you can complain of weight, cost, recoil, bruises, etc. It's just finding whatever balance works for you.
>>
>>29578101
you can do that in 5 rounds with a mosin if your a fucking idiot
the main cause is not holding it to your shoulder leaving a gap between your shoulder and the gun
>>
>>29579001
>It's underpowered, but still works.
Sometimes. When you shoot a bullet that lightweight at a large animal, there is a very real possibility that you will wound and lose the animal. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.
>>
Thats just what it looks like when you shoulder a gun wrong. Not saying that's exactly what happens, but that's what it looks like when you shoulder wrong. A 12 gauge will do that if you don't tuck it right since it's sharp recoil
>>
>>29578026
Except you get about 1000 more ft-lbs out of the .300 win mag.
>>
>a high-velocity magnum will give you little advantage over a rifle shooting at 2600 fps because the distance at which bullet drop becomes important is the distance at which practical group size is so big that you shouldn't take the shot anyway.

Is this real life right now?
>>
>>29578173

50s aren't insanely difficult to shoot offhand ya dip.

Well, they're difficult to shoot accurately, but not more painful or anything.
>>
>>29578808

Not worth it due to per round cost unless you need the range it affords over more modest options like 260 or 6.5.

Weigh it against cost per round (even reloading it will be 250% more per round), barrel wear, and initial cost.
>>
>>29577975
Story behind this?
>>
>>29578920
You're right. Long range shooting is completely pointless and no one ever does it ever. Everyone shoots off hand and doesn't use a bipod or some other rest in the field.

You're a huge fucking retard.
>>
>>29578103
>without a bipod

Huh? What does a bipod do to reduce recoil? I figured they were for accuracy and holding the barrel of a heavy gun steady.

Shoulder bruise tends to be from not holding stock snug against shoulder when firing.
>>
>>29578026
but a 6.5 or 7mm will out-shoot it at 1000 yards with less recoil.
>>
>>29577975
I went with 300WM after a couple hunts where I had to forego a shot with a 25-06 due to range. Past 450-500 yards, a 25-06 is only viable for a neck or head shot on a deer, which is difficult on a moving or oddly positioned target.

With 300WM, I can take an 'inferior' shot and still ethically bag the deer.
>>
>>29578090
Oh yes, just shoot that mile long shot from standing.
>>
>>29578026

>case not related to .30-06 in any way

Ok.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.