[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR15 Castle Nut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: arcastlenut.jpg.jpg (56 KB, 800x626) Image search: [Google]
arcastlenut.jpg.jpg
56 KB, 800x626
I need a way to tighten my ar15 castle nut, I ordered an armorer's wrench like a month ago but it hasn't arrived. Anyone know any way to tighten it without one?
>>
Put a punch or chisel in the slot and hammer it.
>>
>>29562066
A decent strap wrench could do it.
Or you could take a piece of scrap metal and make an adapter.
>>
Get one off amazon and have it one-day shipped.
>>
>>29562066
Castle nut the fuck up and use your teeth.

>Or a strap wrench
>>
I've tried plenty of makeshift solutions for this before and all end up just marring the nut without torquing it down sufficiently.

Have a gun shop do it for you or wait until you have the tool.
>>
>>29562084
OP here, just googled a strap wrench, and how the fuck would that work on a castle nut lmao
>>
File: XmenApoc.jpg (43 KB, 600x415) Image search: [Google]
XmenApoc.jpg
43 KB, 600x415
>>29562111
You Google'd strap wrench, not strap-on right?
>>
File: 2920582.jpg (31 KB, 675x294) Image search: [Google]
2920582.jpg
31 KB, 675x294
>>29562135
I think I got it right
>>
>>29562111
Strap wrenches form a pretty tight grip. Friction is a wonderful thing sometimes.
>>
>>29562176
I don't think it would be to get it to the recommended 40 foot-lbs though
>>
>>29562190
well you asked for suggestions. That's the closest bet if you want to put in torque.

Just order a wrench off of amazon with 1 day shipping man.
>>
>>29562190
40 lbs? I tightened mine as hard as I could but I don't think I got it particularly tight because I'm kind of a wuss

Haven't shot it yet, how fucked am I?
>>
>>29562208
Pit it like OP's pic. The metal indent will hold the nut in place as long as you did actually try to tighten the nut.

I used a hammer and edge of a flathead on mine. No idea how tight I torqued the nut, but it's pinned now so it won't be coming loose.
>>
>>29562208
I shot mine when it wasn't even on the gun, I turned out fine. Just make sure the buffer tube don't come off.
>>
>>29562072
This is the best option... I use a flat head screwdriver usually...
>>
>>29562066
vice grips work but will fuck up the finish
>>
>>29562066
two screw drivers on opposite side slots
don't slip
>>
Order another wrench off of amazon this time.
They're like $10 stop trying to nigger rig it.
>>
>>29562066
i used a rag and a pair of channel locks.
>>
>>29562530
^This

They are cheap as fuck...
>>
>>29562066
>I ordered an armorer's wrench like a month ago but it hasn't arrived.
Why not go to your local gun store and buy one? Heck, wouldn't wallyword carry them?
>>
>>29562135
>>29562161
You wrap it around the nut and tighten it.

Do you really not know how to use a strap wrench?
>>
>>29562066
I wasn't happy with how straight mine was. That was the infuriating part, I couldn't figure out how to get it really tight and keep the stock perfectly up and down, and the plate under it wasn't staying perfectly lined up I guess because it's just stamped.

Ultimately, I just drenched it in red loctite. That was probably a mistake but it's held up fine for years.
>>
>>29562602
IDK about OP, but all the WM near me are shit for gun stuff. Only 2 nearby carry ammo. The rest are all fudd gear or BS.
>>
>>29564085
None of them are great but there definitely is variation based on how rural the surrounding geography is.
>>
>>29562066
Leather strip, vice grip.
Get it tight as you can, and take a small pinch and make a divit as the picture shows.

It will hold.
>>
>>29562547
yup
>>
I handtighten my shit and just make sure to check it from time to time so it doesn't back out too much
fuck staking
>>
>>29562084

> use your teeth

+1. Sack up, junior.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.