[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stainless or Cabon steel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Bushcraft.jpg (71 KB, 799x531) Image search: [Google]
Bushcraft.jpg
71 KB, 799x531
Stainless steel or Carbon Steel for a bushcraft knife? Considering i will be looking after it and cleaning after use.
>>
>>29558291
Specific alloy pls
>>
Valyrian steel or gtfo
>>
>>29558291
making your own? SS is a bitch to forge even when pocket welding. Sometimes its easier to just take care of your knife.
>>
>>29558291
Doesn't matter. It's a knife.
>>
File: tigershark.jpg (26 KB, 576x249) Image search: [Google]
tigershark.jpg
26 KB, 576x249
>>29558387
ikr?!?!?! why do people keep making fun of me in edc threads???
>>
>>29558546
Curb your autism, faggot.
>>
Both are fine. Depends on where you're taking the knife

I find high carbon steels are easier to sharpen and keep sharp than stainless steels
>>
T2 tool steel.

S7 is good too. I put an edge of that on my lawnmower blades so I don't have to worry about things like stumps or rocks.
>>
>>29558291

Virtually all the toughest steels are non-stainless: INFI, 52100, 5160, A2, 3V, etc.

Of course, in a few years when nitrogen steels get made at scale, this question will be irrelevant because virtually all steels will become stainless.
>>
>>29558291
Why not get both? Let me explain. What makes stainless steel stainless is chrome. Steel with a little bit of chrome in it makes the steel very corrosion (rust) resistant. Most people prefer stainless steel knives because they're lazy. You don't need to clean and maintain it as often or as carefully because of the inherent corrosion resistance. Like non-carbon steels, though, stainless steel is not as tough and long lasting as real carbon steel.

There is one family of carbon steel that has the best of both worlds, though, and that is chrome alloy carbon steel, the 5xxx family. Blades made from chrome alloy carbon steel have the toughness and durability of carbon steel and the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. You can think of it as stainless carbon steel. The most common chrome alloy carbon steel is 5160 and 52100. I personally prefer 5160, and if I were to buy a new knife, I'd get a knife with a 5160 steel blade. The Ontario Knife company makes 5160 steel knives.
http://ontarioknife.com/

But, find what you want there and buy it from Amazon. It will usually be cheaper there.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.