[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buyers Advice for M1 Garands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (314 KB, 796x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314 KB, 796x462
Hey /k/ I'm getting bored with my current guns and I'm looking for something new.

I've always wanted an M1 and now is the time to go ahead and buy one I've heard.

Whats the best way to get an M1 nowadays?

What price should I expect to pay for an M1, IE, how much should I save up?

Is the M1 worth it?
>>
Www.thecmp.org
>>
>>29557628
What grade should I go with? And what's the best way to join the CMP so I can buy one?
>>
Buy the adjustable gas plug so you can shoot any ammo.
Just keep the old one for " muh collectible"!
>>
>>29557637
The CMP website has a list of clubs.

Military and police are exempt from the range requirements as are CCW holders if I recall.

My friend joined the garand owners club, but he still needed his range requirements.
>>
File: GOPR0101.jpg (2 MB, 2624x1968) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0101.jpg
2 MB, 2624x1968
CCW works for range requirement. Various clubs are as little as 30 bucks a year to join. If you live any where near Camp Perry or Anniston I highly recommend you get your paper work in order and makeca road trip. Don't have to be a resident of Ohio or Alabama either to walk out with your Chosin (ha,ha) Garand.
>>
Buy from CMP. I got a service grade H&R for $600 about 2 years ago. I waited about 4 months for it.

It's a fantastic weapon. You won't regret it.
Also get a gas plug from garand gear.
>>
File: garand4102016.jpg (1 MB, 1224x900) Image search: [Google]
garand4102016.jpg
1 MB, 1224x900
>>29561463
pic related
>>
>>29557558
>Whats the best way to get an M1 nowadays?
CMP all the way.

>What price should I expect to pay for an M1, IE, how much should I save up?
$730 for a service grade, $630 for a field grade. I would recommend service grade, but the field grades are still perfectly shootable. If you don't reload, or the stores near you don't sell 30-06 marked for Garand use, buy a ported gas plug so you can safely shoot new manufacture ammo.

>Is the M1 worth it?
Unequivocally yes.
>>
>tfw a lot of the CMP grades are listed as sold out
Is this it, forever? Will anyone start building new M1s when the stock runs out for all of them?
>>
>>29559445
Know of any clubs you can join online?
>>
File: Stack_o_Garands.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
Stack_o_Garands.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
>>29562379
Ohio Rifle and Pistol Assoc.
www.orpa.net
>>
>>29562799
Thanks. So you just join and once you get your member card or whatever, you can send it into the CMP? I'm military and have a CHL so I guess that counts as the marksmanship part
>>
File: M1 Garand.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
M1 Garand.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>29563020
Yep. Fill out the app. Get it notarized and send it with copies of all supporting documentation. The folks in the office are really great at working with you over email or phone to make sure everything is in order before you show up in person or order via mail. Once your good, you can order ammo, bayonets, parts and shit from the e-store.
>>
>>29563020
I fax them my ORPA card every year to stay current.
>>
I'm sort of confused about the CMP requirements.
so I meet all of the requirements save for the membership in a related program thing.
does military service count?
it lists the VFW but I don't know.
I don't understand why they have all these requirements, they would make more money if they just sold them like normal.
>>
>>29563083
Seriously, if you are anywhere with in 500 miles of Perry or Anniston you should go. Perry during the National Matches is one of those shooter bucket list things.
>>
>>29563128
If they sold them like normal, you would need FFLs at both ends and paperwork and shipping bullshit. Think of it as a test. You pass, you get a Garand. It's not that hard.
>>
>>29563128
Military service checks off your competition shooting box. So does CCW.
>>
>>29557743
>CCW holders if I recall.
really? that would be fuckin sweet
>>
>>29563083
>>29563099
Sweet, thanks guys. I just ordered a fuckload of ammo and stuff but I'm selling some guns (I know, but I never shoot them and they're just taking up space) so once I sell those or get a few paychecks in I'll order one.
>>
>>29563185
no, I mean the "membership in affiliated organization"
that one confuses me.
I'd assume retired military counts but their site isn't the clearest in the world.
also, what do I snailmail to them?
really wish you didn't have to mail shit to them, I get proof of shit, but damn.
>>
>>29563231
They have a list of clubs on their website
>>
>>29563231
First and most important is print the form off their website, fill it out completely, get it notarized and mailed in. That gets you in their system. You can fax or email the other stuff. I think a copy of a birth certificate goes with the notarized form. I can't remember. I did mine two Garands, a 1917, two '03s and two carbines ago.
>>
In November i got a service grade Springfield 1942, only took two weeks
Am I a lucky motherfucker or is that just a slow time?
>>
File: GOPR0106.jpg (2 MB, 2624x1968) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0106.jpg
2 MB, 2624x1968
>>29563324
Both probably. I took these pictures during the National Matches last year. The racks are empty by the end of the day.
>>
how do they know who signed off on the marksmanship qualifications?

also, how long until they hit your bank account for the bill?
>>
>>29563376
It's usually done by an NRA certified instructor at a match or clinic. They don't hit your card until your order is confirmed.
>>
>>29563401
Most gun clubs will run a CMP clinic once or twice a year for new members. That get's you the marksman certificate and they usually spend some time with the application.
>>
>>29563401
>>29563432
well i was asking since my range doesnt do cmp clinics, and in fact had never seen one of those marksman ship forms before. id heard in past threads that there is no official documentation stuff other than an RO signature.

basically my range wants to charge me for a one on one session with an instructor, and i dont want to do that.
>>
>>29557637
garand collectors association
>>29557743
CCW holders are only exempt where the permit has a training requirement
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.