[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a Mosin Nagant a good starter gun? Any other recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: mn-m44.jpg (362 KB, 2485x794) Image search: [Google]
mn-m44.jpg
362 KB, 2485x794
Is a Mosin Nagant a good starter gun? Any other recommendations?
>>
>>29553279
I have found Turkish Mausers are cheaper at the moment. Plus you can buy their shitty surplus easier than the Russian at the moment.

I'm in Illinois so my markets are a bit distorted due lolfailedstate.
>>
>>29553279
No, they're not cheap anymore and the same with ammo. Get an Enfield or a Mauser if you want a milsurp bolt. Hell, I've seen some nice m1903s for ~$500 on gunbroker.
>>
>>29553279

Get a bolt-action rifle in .22lr. You will learn how to shoot better and more cheaply. The fact that the round has significant drop at range will force you to learn ballistics and holdover.
>>
>>29553279
its not 1999 anymore. its not 2009 anymore. Best starter gun now is prolly a AR-variant. AK47 if it tickles your fancy.
>>
>>29553279
They've always been shit, and they're not cheap anymore.

10/22, AR-15
>>
File: 1aim2004.jpg (185 KB, 791x1024) Image search: [Google]
1aim2004.jpg
185 KB, 791x1024
economy was really where the mosin and surplus 54r shined. despite prices increases, mosins are still pretty affordable, same with 54r commercial ammo.
it still has its milsurp flavor, so if that appeals to you, go for it. if youre simply looking for a decent affordable gun, i suggest looking at a low end bolt action, such as the ruger american or savage axis. not only are they around the same price but you can choose the caliber you want.
>>
a mosin is a shit starter gun
>>
>>29553279
No. Get a Hi Point carbine if you're strapped for cash, or a Cx4 Carbine if you have the money.

Unless you mean starter milsurp. Yeah it's a good start to a milsurp collection.
>>
>>29553309
/thread
>>
File: A TEN SHUN.png (288 KB, 636x432) Image search: [Google]
A TEN SHUN.png
288 KB, 636x432
>>29553366
>CX4 over a cheaper AR15 for a starter gun
>>
My SKS I bought a few days ago was a decent buy. Ammo isnt super expensive, its a simple interface, and it's fun as hell to shoot. Unfortunate they sold it as a tacticool monster. Soon itll be back to its Yugo kebab removing state
>>
>>29553320

>this was only 12 years ago

Holy fuck, what happened? How does the price of literally everything involved in shooting increase 4-5x or more in such a short period??
>>
Even at $200-250, the cost of the widely avalible and still produced ammo makes them the best bolt rifle that isnt a 22.

Anyone saying otherwise is either shitposting or jellous they didnt get on the nugget train while they were $100.
that being said, if for some reason you have an issue with the way the nugget looks (since theres no other reason to be against them unless you have some pointless hatred of russia), then turkish or yugo mausers are also good rifles. however their ammo is expensive and theres almost no surplus left.

AR/AK if you have $600 to spend
Enfield if you have ~$3-400 to spend and want a milsurp rifle with $1 per round ammo.
Or get a finnish nugget for $400, shoot 1 or sub MOA and enjoy a nice looking rifle in a cheap round.
>>
>>29553407
price for surplus guns and ammunition was artificially depressed by low demand (lots of fudds who didn't want that dem dere inaccurate commie shit) and massive supply (Slavs selling anything that wasn't nailed down after the fall of the USSR turning their sale of arms stockpiles into legit businesses).
Now the supply is low, but demand is high due to many new shooters
>>
>>29553291
Gunbroker is a retarded site.
>>
>>29553384
9mm is cheaper ammo and recoils less, allowing for better learning of marksmanship fundamentals.

Also not everyone likes/wants an AR.
>>
>>29553279
eh, theres better options. surplus mosins are kind of hit or miss with condition. if you are new to guns, you might end up getting a mosin that needs a few tweaks or parts here and there, and you wont know jack shit about that. just get a ruger 10/22 for a firsty
>>
>>29553810
Who the fuck is "everyone"? "Everyone" 12 and under who never shot a gun before but read Max Brooks zombie field guide?
>>
>>29553935
Ok man. It's perfectly reasonable to get upset when someone makes a suggestion that you do not personally wish to use.
>>
File: 1459357203905.png (346 KB, 457x391) Image search: [Google]
1459357203905.png
346 KB, 457x391
>>29553407
Sand-nigger wars increased the demand for ammo and inflation fucked everything up. Imagine if 9/11 never happened.
>>
>>29553547
Eh, good for finding cheap milsurp.
>>
>>29554011
This is correct
>>29553444
This is bullshit aside from lower supply
>>
>>29553279
Ruger
American
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.