[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scout Rifle General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: scout_rifles_relevant_banner.png (620 KB, 1057x372) Image search: [Google]
scout_rifles_relevant_banner.png
620 KB, 1057x372
What do you guys think of scout rifles? I think the idea is outdated but I actually like it. Do you have a favorite ( Steyr's, Ruger's, etc. ) of the ones currently on the market?

Ruger claims their scout rifle is the one to own if you could only own one rifle. I just think Scout rifles are neat in general.
>>
File: Mossberg-MVP-Scout.png (227 KB, 1024x592) Image search: [Google]
Mossberg-MVP-Scout.png
227 KB, 1024x592
Mossberg makes one for like $500 with a threaded barrel and plenty of rails.

It can also accept both AR-10 and M1A style mags, which is neat. Just a little annoying that the rail above the action basically prohibits the use of loading via clips, but it's not really a big deal.
>>
>>29549389
Closer to $600 on buds, actually.
>>
>>29549389
I've heard of it but haven't really heard any good or bad about it. Every time I try to Google or YouTube reviews on it I mostly get reviews featuring the MVP Patrol and not the MVP Scout. With that having been said it seems like the cheapest option out there and you can buy it alone or in a bundle with a \crossfire II scout scope.\

It also seems to be close to the criteria set by Cooper...
>>
>>29549451
I've noticed the ruger gunsite has come down in price though, it used to be an even thousand but it seems to be sitting at $850ish online now.
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 1200x418) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 1200x418
I don't see the purpose of it.

If SHTF and I could only use a bolt rifle I would rather use my K31 than one of those scout rifles.

Although I quite like this CZ for some reason.
>>
>>29549451
It also seems to be close to the criteria set by Cooper. Pic related is the Mossberg Scout Combo's specs. Coopers specs are below.

Drawing inspiration from several sources, specifically the Austrian Mannlicher–Schönauer of 1903 and the Winchester Model 1894, Cooper defined several distinguishing characteristics of a scout rifle:

> unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lb); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 pounds) the maximum acceptable and an overall length of 1 meter (39 inches) or less.
> forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2 to 3 power, safeguarding peripheral vision/ keep ejection port open for stripper clips/ to reload the rifle, and eliminate chance of the scope striking the shooter. Scope not necessary.
> A "Ching" or "CW" sling.
> Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights.
> A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces.
> Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 meters/yards (3 shot groups).
>>
File: have-you-seen-these-doubles.png (576 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
have-you-seen-these-doubles.png
576 KB, 600x476
>>29549499
I noticed it too. Hinterland has a really good price on them and they sell that Mossberg kit for under $800 when the MSRP is over $900. I would honestly like to own a Ruger or Steyr variant but don't dislike the look of the Mossberg.
>>
>>29549509
>>29549509
Which scout rifle currently on the market seems to live up to that the most?
>>
I like the idea as well, but nobody makes a rifle how I want it. Searching for a cheap Winchester M70 featherweight to butcher.
>>
>>29551683
Well I believe Mossberg, Ruger, Savage, & Steyr all make Scout Rifles so if you are not familiar with those check them out. If you live in California give up; they are trying to pass a new law that would make Ruger mini 14 and even family heirloom .30 carbines ( like, from WWII ) illegal ( to be confiscated ) under the soon to be "new" definition of "assault weapon."

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/urgent-stop-m1-carbine-ban/?utm_content=bufferfe511&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
>>
File: 6804.jpg (7 KB, 500x196) Image search: [Google]
6804.jpg
7 KB, 500x196
this is my next purchase. i have a hybrid on the way and i need a rifle host. i cant shoot very far where i live and its a different concept which would be fun to have.
>>
Except for historic weapons for fun and gun collectors why would anyone unironicaly buy a bolt action in 2016?
>>
File: springfield_m1a_scout_squad.jpg (65 KB, 2100x436) Image search: [Google]
springfield_m1a_scout_squad.jpg
65 KB, 2100x436
>>29552296
Because bolt actions are often times more reliable and more accurate.

If we want to talk about a "modern" scout rifle we could discuss the Springfield M1A Scout Squad rifle. This one is semi-auto but has a pretty high price tag. CHeapest I've found it for is a but under $1600.00
>>
>>29549322

I have a Steyr in 7mm-08. It is easy to carry and hits hard. No complaints.
>>
>>29549322
>I think the idea is outdated
Why do people here always say this? You know small arms haven't advanced *that* much since Cooper originally floated these ideas in his books and articles right?

The Ruger is probably the best all-around factory "Scout"; But the attractive laminate model is too heavy, and the barrels too fucking short on all of them. Also, a real scout should be cut to accept stripper clips imo.
>>
>>29552296
Bolt have the highest potential accuracy. They don't get finicky over weak or hot ammo, so you don't have springs or a gas rod to fuck up while still keeping up on speed of the bullet.
>>
>>29552296
>why would anyone unironicaly buy a bolt action in 2016?
They still have the edge in accuracy, durability and reliability. Also, they're lighter and more svelte than comparable semi's.
>>
File: ruger308.png (220 KB, 350x634) Image search: [Google]
ruger308.png
220 KB, 350x634
grab scout rifle go innawoods
>>
>>29551683
>>29551719
>Well I believe Mossberg, Ruger, Savage, & Steyr all make Scout Rifles so if you are not familiar with those check them out.
I'm sure he's aware, probably just wants a CRF action. If I were making a custom Scout the M70 featherweight compact is exactly what I'd use. Have a smith throw some irons on and cut it to accept clips.
>>
How do you guys feel about the Springfield M1A Scout Squad? It looks as if it is a modernized version of the Scout Rifle. The only problem I really see with it is how heavy it is.

>Caliber: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308WIN)
>Length: 40.33"
>Front Sight: National Match .062" Blade
>Barrel: 18"; Twist 1 In 11"; RH; 6-Groove Carbon Steel
>Weight: (with Empty Magazine) 8.8 lbs.
>Rear Sight: Military Aperture .0690 w/ MOA Adjustment For Both Windage and Elevation
>Magazines: 1 - 10 Round, Parkerized Steel
>Stock: Flat Dark Earth Composite

See more at: http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/#AA9120
>>
>>29556378
>How do you guys feel about the Springfield M1A Scout Squad?
Like you said, heavy. And it's not like M1As and ARs didn't exist when Cooper was writing about this shit, so I don't really see how it's a "modernized" Scout...
>>
>>29556378
socom 16 is probably better for the role if you need semi-auto
>>
bump for interest
>>
Of you were to make a remington 700 scout rifle build, what parts would you use? I have the reciever, now I need everything else.
>>
>>29553753
the idea is outdated because the long eye relief scope placement is to allow for easy access to an internal magazine and perhaps to use stripper clips.

using reliable detachable magazines and a normal (lightweight) scope is better in every way.
>>
File: tumblr_m8m66uAEFc1rdata4o1_500.png (321 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8m66uAEFc1rdata4o1_500.png
321 KB, 500x380
>>29557508
>
>
>
I have no words for this newfaggotry
>>
>>29560396
>this guy gets it
Why am I green texting...?
>fuck
>>
I love the concept of light-weight, accurate, reliable bolt-action .308WIN scout rifles.

Been eyeing out a Steyr Scout in OD-Green but it's so pricey (can get a Ruger SR-762 for the same price).

Might settle for a Tikka T3X for half the price and scoutify it myself.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.