[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the fit standards you consider necesary for war? >1km
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: soldier.jpg (81 KB, 750x542) Image search: [Google]
soldier.jpg
81 KB, 750x542
what are the fit standards you consider necesary for war?

>1km run
>5km run
>push ups
>>
>>29537325
Combat gear? Full kit + bergan? No gear? What are you asking for.
>>
>>29537325
>not fat
>capable of a 3-5km steady jog
>capable of eating 3 cheeseburgers at least 3 times a week
>>
>>29537325
2 miles within the 12 minute mark. Max out on pushups. Max out on situps.

Welcome to day one of U.S. Army Ranger school (unless you're a female, you of course don't have to do anything hard).
>>
File: 09xQG.jpg (18 KB, 318x290) Image search: [Google]
09xQG.jpg
18 KB, 318x290
>>29537492
>capable of eating 3 cheeseburgers at least 3 times a week

Can you explain?
>>
>>29537325
>1km run should ideally be less than 4min,

>5km run however fast you can do it, as long as you can run it in one go, but a great time would be 20min

>Push ups 100 in 2min, more if you got more time

Now Im a soldier, but i was never I great runner. I could do the 1km in 3:45 (morning pt) and the 100 pushups but I simply never achieved the fitness needed to get 5km in 20min.

The pace i used at morning pt was near my limit, I couldnt even keep it up for the 3.2km on the pft. (the closest I got to it was 24min and something in basic, i know im a shit runner)

Now if you got the 5 down in 20min and the 100 pushups, I would be proud of you.

Now Ive never been in real combat other than training exercises, but from what ive read in the autobiographies the best thing would be if you could run for a long ass distance.

The speed doesnt matter as much as the ability to keep going for a long fucking time, it would save your skin.
>>
File: proudtobeanamerican.gif (872 KB, 404x402) Image search: [Google]
proudtobeanamerican.gif
872 KB, 404x402
>>29537535
>Can you explain?
To prove once and for all that you are truly loyal to american values. Loyalty is probably the most important trait a soldier can embody.
>>
>>29537544

Humans are the best endurance runners in the world, Anon. That's around a 6:30 minute mile which is pretty quick, but it's not Ethiopian quick. Given 6 weeks of training, for someone like yourself who can complete the 5k to begin with, you can get down a 20 minute 5K.
>>
>>29537506

>I've never been to Ranger school

Minimum push ups for your age group
Minimum sit ups for your age group
Complete a five mile run in under 40 mins
Perform 6 pull ups

3 women are tabbed, 3 women are better fit to lead soldiers in combat than you are :^)
>>
>>29537544
why do you need to run in a war?

not bait
>>
>>29537612
But would those women give better rugged, moral boosting, brad pitt at the beginning of troy-style motivational speeches than me?

do they have phallic helmets?
>>
>>29537325
>for marches like the guy in the pic as long as you are in basic and not on a high level, i recommend good music and a set of earphones.

Its great motivation and you can just drone out the distance one foot in front of the other, sometimes almost on the border of sleeping while walking.

Now the longest Ive done is nothing impressive at 50miles (i think? 76km) with a pack of 35kg plus rifle and a battle harness.

>have an earphone in for most of the time, >pour baby powder into your socks and boots at every check point,
>pierce the plisters with a needle and squeeze the fluid out and rested for 10 after every 1h 30 walked.

got the 76km done in 11h and 21?min i think

Key is keep your feet in check, hydrate, peel of the extra layers under your bdu if you start to over heat and find some motivation in your squad, family or even some shitty music like i did.

(i assume you are asking this because you want to join up, if Im wrong I apologize)
>>
>>29537622
95% of the time you need to be more pack-mule than race horse. But sometimes you need to move ass.
>>
>>29537612
I went through back when it meant something, you stooge. I tell you what, go to the U.S Army Ranger memorial and read the very first name on the list. That's me. Section D, Column 19.
>>
>>29537622
Let's say you need to move quickly to set up a hasty ambush. Or you need to run to a piece of cover.
>>
How busted up are soldier's knees after a 4-6 year stint? It's one of my largest worries
>>
>>29537622
Often the contact forces you to disembark or fight in terrain not accessible by most ground vehicles.

>Advancing under fire tires you out too damn quick.

>rare but happens sometimes, according to autobio s your EZ might get moved or the transport delayed as a result of some dumb misfortune or a dumb sequence of pointless events

So you have to make your way back yourself.

The point of a soldier isnt to see how many enemies he can take out before death if his extraction doesnt show up.
Its to make his way back and /or receive further orders and continue to be useful.
>>
File: 2ujgjeq.png (156 KB, 452x302) Image search: [Google]
2ujgjeq.png
156 KB, 452x302
>>29537712
I spent six ears on airborne status. My knees are fucked seven ways from Sunday.
>>
>>29537712
Dont lock your knees during marches, when walking or resting with a heavy pack still on.

Throw your bag down before getting out of the truck, dont be a high speed idiot like some of us who jumps out with his pack on (this kills the man)

>kek it fucks with your back and knees way too much

>the running still messes with your knees a little as most of it is on asphalt but if you avoid all the other damage then this takes a long time.

>Use magnesium supplements
>When doing movement under fire drills or any woodland type shit or cqb always wear at least one knee pad (on the knee that you take a knee on :)

sorry if my typing is shit, im a little drunk
>>
From what I've seen, if your moving with gear you either have two speeds, walk or sprint, jogging with gear fucks your knees, you are either on the long distance March so endurance with weight is important but if you begin taking fire moving fast and getting into cover is vitally important.
>>
File: portrait014.jpg (93 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
portrait014.jpg
93 KB, 550x512
>>29537696
Wow, you sure told him!
faggot
>>
>>29538179
And you're still sitting in your dilapidated underwear, licking the Cheeto crumbs off your fingers in your mommy's basement.
>>
>>29538228
And you're still trying to work up the courage to suck-start a 12 gauge because your body is physically and mentally crippled, and walmart stopped giving you a military discount on budweiser. What of it?
>>
File: 1457306228940.jpg (118 KB, 1300x1196) Image search: [Google]
1457306228940.jpg
118 KB, 1300x1196
>must have at least $1,000 on things for your ar
>ability to recite a minimum of 2/3 of the Navy Seal copypasta
>have at least 3 days in gametime played in any call of duty combined (ones before 4 don't count lol)
>have some form of cammies that aren't memetarn
>>
File: usarmysoil.jpg (852 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
usarmysoil.jpg
852 KB, 2304x1536
>>29537325
> ability to endure countless hours of SHARP programming
> ability to get an ARCOM for being triggered on facebook
>ability to maybe kinda sorta pass the PT test if you are a woman, nah nvm that, it's okay sweetie you tried, go down to gunny's quarters and bring your kneepads and you'll make Sgt by wednesday.
>>
>>29538268
Wait a fucking minute you horse shoe holding motherfucker. Walmart gives a veteran's discount on beer?
>>
Bench: 350lbs (forearm perpendicular to ground at bottom)
Squat: 500lbs (lowbar)
Deadlift: 600lbs (conventional)
OHP: 225lbs (from bottom)
5km run with ease
20 chins/pull-ups
Visiable abs
>>
>>29538399
/fit/ pls
>>
>>29537612
tabs arent scrolls
>>
>>29537325
The ability to point a rifle in a vague direction and fire it
>>
Infantry shouldn't exist
Everything should be mechanized
Would save a bundle on health care costs for everyone who gets permanent injuries

And would vastly improve the capabilities of the military since infantry is useless
>>
>>29537544

>100 pushups
>2 min

Yeah, no. I have seen hardly anyone able to do that on PT tests in my time in the Army. The only people that do that are your PT studs. Most really fit people do about 60-70, maybe 80.
>>
>>29538601
I don't mean to sound like a braggart but we did that shit every fucking time in battalion. 130 was the most I've seen.
>>
>>29537690
>>29537700
wouldn't sprinting be more effective of a pt standard than a dragged out run? with or without weight, and then some kind of ruck as well?
>>
>>29537325
>1km run
2:15
>5km run
20:00
>push-ups
60-100
>pull-ups
>>
>>29538663
I've read running with weights and rucks can blow out your joints, but then again why does the military do it if this was true?
>>
>>29538697
Because they get new guys every four years
>>
>>29538373
Sounds better than flipping over rocks, my fucking Sgt Major had us turning over his beloved rocks around the battalion HQ, so they wouldn't get sun burned

Fag fucker
>>
>>29537325
You need to look at mental performance during exercise.

Minimum physical standards are just that, minimums.
>>
>>29538639
Fucking braggert make a video of it right now and prove it :DDDDDD
>>
2:20 1k, 15 minute 5k, 120 push ups, 350 lb bench, 500 lb high bar back squat, 600 lb deadlift, 25 pull ups, 315 lb press MINIMUM

Literally everyone in my unit could do this, if you failed to meet any one of these standards you'd be RFSed instantly. Trust me, people do 150 plus push ups and 800 lb squats all the time in my battalion. I can't post a video right now because I'm on mobile but if you don't believe me, well news flash, not everyone is as weak as you, projecting faggot
>>
>>29538767
kek I always wondered if this was true
>>
>>29538894
i dont fucking believe this shit

2:20 km?

no way

it is olympic games tier
>>
>>29537506
>sit-ups
>relevant to any fitness regimen

Protip they aren't and you are a moron
>>
>>29539014
Lol just as I thought, here come the naysayers, you probably can't even snatch 200kg. Wouldn't make it though day 1 in my unit lol
>>
>>29539014
If you haven't caught on half the replies itt are jokes
>>
>>29537544
After 4 and a half years as an 11b back in 03-08 the best I could do was 11:11 for the 2 mile, 50 push ups, 70 sit up. I could hump over my waite that was 250 for as long as I needed to. So fuck all this crazy shit.
>>
>>29537325
>>1km run
>>5km run

So...Wouldn't that just be a 6km run?
>>
>>29539074

I don't know man.

I'm not a mis/fit/, but I think some measure of core strength matters.
>>
>>29539462
Sit ups are just kind of shitty. Poor test of core stability, they can be hard on your back, form wise there are a lot of ways to juke them. "Core stability" is a pretty arbitrary concept in general, doesn't matter much unless you're doing a lot of heavy overhead work, and very difficult to test properly. Pull ups would be a way better addition to the PT test, or at least a bar hang or similar. Grip strength is something that actually matters.
>>
File: 1430860243204.jpg (40 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1430860243204.jpg
40 KB, 413x395
>>29538373
>go down to gunny's quarters and bring your kneepads and you'll make Sgt by wednesday.
>>
http://circleboard.org/int/res/193005.html

op is a retard in the spanish airforce named antonio
>>
>>29538598
Apply yourself
>>
3 km run under 13 mins
20 pullups
25 parallel bar dips
60 pushups
90 crunches
40 lunges each side
finish a stretcher run without phasing out
good sprints

that's about the level of fitness i've seen in regular battalions in the IDF desu
>>
>>29540096
See that's pretty reasonable but
>20 pull ups
is pretty fucking stronk if you're doing them from a dead hang, unless you weigh like 130
>>
>>29540169
Not that guy but I weigh like 165 and 20-25 is normal for me
>>
2.4 k <12 minutes.
sit-ups > 80
Push ups > 50
Approach March, 40kg load < 2 h 30 m
Fire and move 25kg load twelve 8m bounds prone to prone twelve seconds each.
Casualty drag 100kg 100 m in 60 seconds.
Lift and carry, 155mm shell, 100m in 45 seconds
Falling plate run down. Start prone, run 100 m drop, load and knock over ten 40cm sq plates at 100 m range in two minutes.
Final test. 80 km March in full kit, dawn through the night to sunset the next day.
>>
>>29537622
MOTHERFUCKER YOU ARE GETTING SHOT AT
>>
>>29537696
New pasta?
>>
If I was looking at it historical for the Modern era, I would say it's nearly irrelevant.
>>
I'm a decent runner, but my arm strength is shit. I want to enlist, but wat do?
>>
Minimum Requirements for what I'm joining this summer is:
>40 slow push ups
>40 sit ups
>160 (80 for each leg) bench step-ups with a 20kg rucksack
>10 pull-ups
>Swim 1km
>run 10km in sub-50min
>run 5km in sub-25min

That's most if it at least, and you generally need better than that still
>>
Fuck the run. 10k with a 65lb ruck in uneven terrain in under 90 min and you've got a start. 100 push ups and 100 sit ups in under 2min per exercise, 30 pull ups as well.
>>
>>29538269
>>ability to recite a minimum of 2/3 of the Navy Seal copypasta

I'm in Delayed Entry Program for the US Navy. I should steal someone else's START guide and replace the General Orders Of A Sentry with the Navy SEAL copypasta, and see if they notice.
>>
itt people that have never been to war much less in the military
>>
>>29544054
Here I'll help out, brother.

I was in the military.
I was in the infantry.
I was in Afghanistan.
I was in Iraq.

The fitness standards I consider -necessary- for THE VARIOUS TYPES of war:
>3 mile run no gear <25min
>Push ups full gear >25
>Sit ups 80 <2min
>Ability to perform full gear 20k ruck
>Ability to complete a simple military obstacle course 5 times without rest
>Ability to complete a 20k run is nice

These are pretty low numbers in my mind. But thread isn't "Post numbers to make you look like you're prolly fit," it's "what do you consider necessary." Given Iraq, most of above wouldn't be necessary in my experience. Given something like Afghanistan, yeah it's probably enough fitness to keep your actual performance high enough for adequate "operations tempo."
>>
>>29537325
Depends on the place where the war would take place.
In a very cold country with long winters it would be good to have fat.
You need balls.
You need to be able to walk long distances and skiing is a plus.
>>
>>29537622
>why do you need to run in a war?
It's an exercise that raises your endurance, ability to sustain and maintain high bpm, and also just happens to be a type of movement that absolutely all human beings do when in combat. Sprinting is running. Jogging in gear to something 2k away (kill me) is running. Trying to get behind a corner of a building 7ft away really quickly is running.

It's just a smarter way of increasing endurance than jumping jacks would be, because it's a multi-coverage training tool and the military fucking loves efficient mutli-coverage training because it's awesome.
>>
I don't mean to derail the thread, but, when I graduated high school and denied entry to Colorado Springs I could run 3.34 miles (my trail route w/ hills) in 26 minutes, pumped out 37 push-ups in one minute, and 29 sit ups in one minute. If I get back to that, how likely is it that Air Force will take me to fly cargo planes or helicopters as an intellectual? (Have a 4.0 in honors college but would rather join military than a job)
>>
>>29544127
you're going to need to man up and specifically go ask a recruiter, because there are many factors which would change your prospects for or against, which only a recruiter in your area can keep track of. What you'll get here is mindless speculation which is absolutely useless and also damaging to your future choices.
>>
>>29544157
Why would seeing a recruiter help? I am under the impression that recruiters don't do much for people that want to fly, they just want mechanics and body jobs in the Air Force
>>
File: loyalty to the end.jpg (38 KB, 740x390) Image search: [Google]
loyalty to the end.jpg
38 KB, 740x390
>>29537560
>>
>>29544169
Because the current or projected information about your intended job's Occupational Availability, Area recruiting Stats, Monthly Ships, and seasonal projected numbers are all of the only factors that matter for the position you're seeking. Your idea of fitness meaning ANYTHING is kind of weird. Google "Minimum fitness standards Air Force" and the lowest numbers you see, you'll need to surpass. That's all the fitness matters. The rest of your part is just how you score on aptitude tests. THEN, the job you want has more or less allotted open positions throughout each fiscal year depending on a number of factors. I had to sign up and wait 9mo for an opening in my occupation, and I had to have an honest conversation with a recruiter to make that happen. They looked up the numbers, looked at my aptitude scores, looked up the previous years to see when it'd be most likely that the allotted slots for that occupation would open up (I had to get dibs and wait until Nov), and I used that 9mo to work on my low fitness requirements.

If you don't want to talk to a recruiter then please don't reply to this because that would indicate that you are only pretending to want what you're asking about.
>>
>>29544169
I'll give more detail since I worked at MEPS for a bit.

When someone comes in and says "I want to fly cargo planes," the recruiter looks at them. Then looks up the aptitude requirements for the position "flier of cargo plane." Then he says "You'll have to have a score of _____ on a test to do that." Then he'll set you up to take the test. IF you do, then...

You go back into the recruiter's office. They have your test scores. They already looked up the openings available for "flier of cargo planes" for the year, then the month. It's 5 and 3. They look at you and say "Your score is high enough." Then they look at a spreadsheet with numbers on it that change every month, that says
>April 2016
>mechanics - 25
>body jobs - 25
>fliers of cargo planes - 1

And then he looks at you and says, "Oh boy you're lucky, back in March it said 0 next to 'fliers of cargo planes' but this month it says '1.' If we get you signed up right now, to ship this month, then you have a chance. If you wait, then idk you'll need to come back every month to check again and if someone else wants to be a 'flier of cargo planes' and has a much higher score than you then obviously I'll give them preference. if that happens 3 times then you'll really just have to wait until next year, unless you just want to be in the military period and the job doesn't matter. because then you can be a cargo guy. What do you want to do?"

That's the layman's version of how it works.
>>
>>29544245
if I had typed "for the year, then the remaining open slots." then it would make more sense for you, since then it wouldn't be wrong. I really hope I helped you understand more of what you're working with. Cheers.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.