[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you were to equip an army in 1909 (and you are given the full
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: c96.jpg (19 KB, 400x231) Image search: [Google]
c96.jpg
19 KB, 400x231
If you were to equip an army in 1909 (and you are given the full hindsight of a person living in this day) with small arms, what would you equip them with?
They want pistols, rifles, light and heavy machine guns.
>>
>>29535834
Fuck that nigga I am playing the winning lottery numbers for the next 107 years
>>
>>29535920
this
/thread
>>
>>29535920
1910 rolls around, you die in the ensuing war.
They especially make a point of hanging the lottery winning, capitalist pigdog.
>>
>>29536060
I live in america and ill buy an army for myself

god viper u're so dumb
>>
>>29535834
Pistol: 1911's or whatever similiar was around at the time
Rifle: Mondragon semi auto
Light: Cauchat
HMG: Maxim

Getting the tactics in is another story. No small arm wins a war.
>>
File: image.jpg (517 KB, 3229x2504) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
517 KB, 3229x2504
>>29535834
>>29535834
>>29535834
That, with extended magazines, some form of stock, and as many mags as I can get them.

As far as pistols go, standardization means they get C96s, just semi auto versions.

For the main rifle, they get to have Luger M1906's, because why the hell not.

We'll also issue modified versions of This as our LMGs (flip the action on it's side, add 30 round magazines, all around improvements to extend life, quick change barrels, etc.)

And for our Machineguns, we'll issue MG08s (so basically maxims)

Rate me.
>>
Remington rolling blocks and Spanish knock offs of the Smith and Wesson model 3.
>>
File: ss+(2015-03-20+at+10.39.30).jpg (71 KB, 305x624) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-03-20+at+10.39.30).jpg
71 KB, 305x624
my friends. for war. i usse them
pistol
rifel
light and
heavy machinegun although this heay machine gun
maybe is too heavy but we will always have a big guy to
carry it hopefully.
we can win this war my war friends
>>
>>29536628
Cheap skate.
>>
>>29535834
C96s, a pouch of stick grenades, and a large, two handed sword. :^)
>>
File: Mondragón_rifle[1].jpg (12 KB, 650x113) Image search: [Google]
Mondragón_rifle[1].jpg
12 KB, 650x113
>>29536156
not bad, but toggle lock actions are expensive and slow to make.

I would use the Mondragon M1908. in 7mm Mauser. It is a gas piston rifle with a rotating bolt.
>>
>>29535834
Pistol: S&W Model 10 why? because trenches and I love revolvers
Riffles: British SMLE why? I don't know best bolt action of its time?
Light machinegun: Madsen machine gun in .303
heavy machinegun: M1895 Colt–Browning machine gun also in .303

only have to fuck with 2 calibers .38 and .303

FYI I'm American I just dig the 10 round capacity of the SMLE
>>
>>29535834
>sidearm

C96 is as good as you can get for the era. I'd push for every single rear echelon soldier to be issued one, stock included, instead of a rifle and invent the PDW a hundred years before the concept even exists.

>rifle

Can't decide between the Krag and the SMLE. I guess i'd go for the SMLE at a push.

>lmg

Madsen, since things like the Chauchat and BAR are out of timeframe.

>hmg

MG08. As much as I love the Vickers, it's out of the timeframe by three years.
>>
>>29537778
>7mm Mauser
The idea is to use surplus/captured 8mm Mauser from Germany and other places.

The toggle lock rifle is because it seems slightly better in terms of simplicity when compared to the mondragon.

I mean, I'm already issuing fucking shnellfreuers. Money is obviously not much of an object with the nation I'm arming.
And since money's not an object, I'd assume we're not talking about a place where manufacturing is done half assed usually.

It may not be the cheapest, but it's definitely going to be the best in terms of ergonomics and mechanical simplicity.

When WW1 breaks out, we ought to be fairly well off...

That, or we put in an order for several thousand Walter a115s (these http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ria-walther-a115-prototype-rifle/) if they were made in time (couldn't find a date for when they were made/tested)
>>
File: trenchcarbine.jpg (57 KB, 1103x764) Image search: [Google]
trenchcarbine.jpg
57 KB, 1103x764
>>29535834
Pistol: Luger P08, at the time, this was literally the best service pistol in the world, the 1911 won't come out until a few years and only some limited number of imperfect prototypes exist as of this time.

Rifle: Mondragon 1907

LMG: Madsen

HMG: MG08

Bonus Round: 1897 Shotgun, because it makes Germans really mad.

Also this hinges on me not being stuck in a muddy trench hell, I figure me and my boys would be in some African colony.

>>29538039
>C96 is as good as you can get for the era.
For pistol purposes? No.

>I'd push for every single rear echelon soldier to be issued one, stock included, instead of a rifle
Well that's a more interesting idea.
Honestly I'd want to turn it into a carbine, 12" barrel with handguard mounted on front of the frame (to allow the barrel to recoil freely), fixed stock (comes off for storage), detachable 20rd mags, maybe size it up to a slightly longer cartridge, like 7.63x33mm, slightly longer bullet, slightly stronger brass, bit more of a powder charge.

Although all that R&D would take some time and not be realistically available in the timeframe, I guess just the rifle variant of the C96 with a short barrel and detachable mags.
By the end of WW2, Mauser had developed sort of a full-sized SMG/Carbine based on the Schnellfeuer, not too dissimilar to my idea, though it was select-fire and fed from 40rd stick-mags. Most of these were sadly destroyed because of the Treaty Of Versailles
>>
File: WwlShun.jpg (571 KB, 1500x906) Image search: [Google]
WwlShun.jpg
571 KB, 1500x906
>>29535834
>Rifle:
Kar98az
>Handgun:
Webley revolver in .455
>Light MG:
Madsen
>Heavy MG:
MG08

I guess I'd have it all be in 6.5×55
>>
>>29537837
This right here. All other answers are wrong except maybe switch the revolver for something different.
>>
>>29537837
This.

>>29537778
It had a lot of reliability issues due to the openness of the action.
>>
Give me one good reason not to give a shitload of guys artillery mausers.
>>
File: BC_Lebman-600x450.jpg (21 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
BC_Lebman-600x450.jpg
21 KB, 600x450
Pistol: Colt 1903
Rifles: Winchester 1907 (pic related is what some mobsters did with them)
Shotgun: Remington 11/Browning Auto 5 modified to full auto
LMG: Hotchkiss M1909
HMG: Browning Potato Digger
>>
>>29536131
>1911s
>in 1909
Well gee whiz anon
>BRB giving mine M16s
>>
>>29540249
Actually, that was the first year they were made.

There was also the M1905, the first incarnation of the 1911. It had a slightly different takedown and locking mechanism.
And even then, the 1905 had been in the works since the late 1890's.
>>
Well, if I have full hindsight and a whole 5 years, I would be rushing to get a fully working assault rifle, Mg42 as light MG and a .50 cal as a HMG. I mean, if you know what to aim for, its completely different. You just need to know the basics of how they work and you can start working on copying them. Fuck using historical weaponry.
>>
>>29540365
While intermediate rifles and carbines capable of rapid fire would in fact have have rocked everyone's tits in the trenches, the problem comes with trying to tell that to the old grognard fucks in the brass, I mean, you'd be laughed out of the office suggesting a RIFLE that ISN'T full-powered, the notion would be entirely surreal to them.

They'd probably call you a faggot for telling them that soldiers don't actually engage in combat past 400 or so yards, even if some would actually pay attention that, they would brush it off because of MUH STOPPAN POWAH. The fact that militaries had moved away from large bore 10mm and .45 caliber infantry rifles with the advent of smokeless powder and spitzers had already been a minor controversy in and of itself, now you're gonna suggest to them to get something EVEN smaller? Unthinkable, they've already gone small enough.
>>
Commission intermediate cartridges and build monkey-model assault rifles
>>
Luger P08

Artillery luger version with snail mag and 1897 shotgun for close encounters

Mauser 98 with fixed extended 10 or 15 round magazine. Or a rechambered lightened forend SMLE (front heavy pig that it is).

Madsen and mg08

Chamber everything rifle sized I'm 6.5x55mm Mauser.
>>
>>29540925
you'd have to sell them on being cavalry and auxiliary troop rifles. then when the war hits they'll see how great your small, light, semi auto rifles are and ramp up production of them.

by 1916 have entire battalion out fitted with SKSs insane trench raids
>>
>>29536674
I got cancer from that post.
Thanks man, another tumor might just speed up my death.
>>
1895 Winchesters (Military model) in 30-06 and Colt 1908s in 380. Wouldn't have a "HMG" since being in a fixed position would make it a bigger target for artillery. So I'd just triple up on Madsens for the LMG role.
>>
>>29535920
Nah, just invest heavily in stocks prior to the crash. Ride out the 1929 crash, the invest heavily into IBM and the defense industry. By the time you hit the 1980s you dump your billions into Apple and Microsoft and be the richest man on earth. Then become the king Jew and make sure the atf gets disbanded and we get any gun we can afford.

Also, nuke Japan a 3rd time.
>>
Rifle:
>mosin
Light mg:
>2xmosin
Heavy mg:
>4x mosin
Handgun:
>obrez
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.