[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sniper Rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: bmb.jpg (78 KB, 824x1002) Image search: [Google]
bmb.jpg
78 KB, 824x1002
What makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle? Are the barrels made to handle more rounds than a regular hunting rifle? You're usually using hunting rounds anyway. 5.56-7.62 and the occasional longer range rounds.

I feel like there's not really a difference, a long range rifle is a long range rifle and if it's used by the military it's just a rifle used by a trained sniper.

Prove me wrong /k/ I wanna know.
>>
>>29511758
Longer barrel
Usually bolt gun but not always
>>
>>29511758
A sniper rifle is a rifle in the hands of a sniper.
A certain Finn used a nugget with iron sights.
Some jarhead mounted an optic on a m2.
And, of course, plenty of very skilled snipers have used custom built rifles built on both manual and autoloading actions.

Be aware while researching the subject that different countries define snipers differently.
>>
>>29511758

It's just a term to denote a rifle that a sniper would use.

There are certain qualities that are attractive/useful to a sniper, such as a powerful scope, or a long barrel. Rifles with those qualities are sniper rifles.

It's like asking what a "family car" is. It's a car with features that a family would find useful, like four doors and a big trunk...
>>
>>29511758
Funnily enough you wont get a right answer here and you can just do a Google search for such a simple question.
>>
>>29511758
>What makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle?
The man behind the rifle.
Any schmuck can pick up a scoped rifle.
>>
>>29511830
>"sniper" picks up hi-point
>it's now a sniper rifle!

No, lol.
>>
>>29511845
>Hi points being a choice for military
>>
>>29511854

Nice goalpost moving!
>>
>>29511845
A sniper wouldn't use a hi point for sniping. Thus, it's not a sniper rifle.
>>
>>29511883
>A sniper wouldn't use a hi point for sniping.

False.
>>
File: retard.gif (881 KB, 200x232) Image search: [Google]
retard.gif
881 KB, 200x232
>>29511845
I bet that argument sounded a lot less retarded in your head.
>>
>>29511758
>what makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle?
They are designed and/or modified to be more accurate/shoot at longer distances/better suit the needs of a sniper than comparable firearms.

>Are the barrels made to handle more rounds than a regular hunting rifle?
You mean the barrel life? They usually do, but it's not the only factor.

>You're usually using hunting rounds anyway. 5.56-7.62 and the occasional longer range rounds.
Just because 2 firearms are chambered in the same round doesn't mean they are the same.

>I feel like there's not really a difference, a long range rifle is a long range
No it's not and it's clear you have no idea about long range shooting at all. You can't possibly think a random Remington 700 fresh out of the factory is comparable to an M40. You get a bunch factory of 700s, test which one is the best, then replace a lot of parts and fine-tune it to be even better.

>and if it's used by the military it's just a rifle used by a trained sniper
As I said, snipers don't use ordinary rifles.
>>
>>29512233
>I feel like there's not really a difference, a long range rifle is a long range
No it's not and it's clear you have no idea about long range shooting at all. You can't possibly think a random Remington 700 fresh out of the factory is comparable to an M40. You get a bunch factory of 700s, test which one is the best, then replace a lot of parts and fine-tune it to be even better.
The M40A5 was basically right out of the factory.

Retardation the post.
>>
>>29512249
>The M40A5 was basically right out of the factory
Even if it indeed was which I find hard to believe, it's still in no way comparable to a Remington 700.

Or are you going to tell me that 700 is a sniper rifle too?
>>
>>29512275
The R700 is a piece of of shit. Civi and otherwise. 90% of guns made for the military is made by the lowest bidder. So I doubt Remington is going to take that "best R700" strip it and replace the internals with different R700 parts that completely change the rifle...
>>
>>29512355
Well anon, reality disagrees with you.

The rifles have to shoot according to US MIL specs, and they do.
>>
>>29512355
>is made by the lowest bidder

That just means that they could make the thing that fit the requirements cheaper than the other guy. In other words, if it's made by the lowest bidder, then it's an excellent piece of equipment that does exactly what's required.

It literally means the opposite of what you think it does.
>>
>>29512364
You realize MIL-SPEC isn't necessarily good right? I don't understand why everyone thinks it's a good thing. They're made for the militarys specifications which means they're made to take a beating by the dumbest grunt they have. That doesn't mean they're great quality, I guarantee you if you took a MIL-SPEC bolt rifle and the same version in a civi rifle, that civi rifle will be lighter and less grit in the trigger/bolt.
>>29512368
>YFW you forget about Vietnam era M16.
You were fucking saying? And no it means they can push it out the fastest and the cheapest.
>>
>>29512355
>The R700 is a piece of of shit. Civi and otherwise.
Your or my opinion on it doesn't really matter in that context. In my opinion it's a solid rifle and it has a bad reputation right now because of Remington quality issues, not because it's inherently bad itself.

>90% of guns made for the military is made by the lowest bidder
And?

>So I doubt Remington is going to take that "best R700" strip it and replace the internals with different R700 parts that completely change the rifle...
I don't know if they are still doing it, might be they are pretty much out of the factory now to speed things up, I dunno. Doesn't change the fact that it's still an upgraded version of Remington 700.

But they certainly used to, look it up. That's pretty much how the concept of a sniper/sharpshooter rifle started in the first place.
>>
>>29512249
Actually the only thing used on the m40/m24 is the bolt and receiver. Barrel, stock, and trigger are all made by other companies.
>>
>ITT: Anons argue semantics and call one another faggots.
>>
>>29512395
>gets super butthurt about being proven wrong
>whines about something completely unrelated to what we were discussing
>continues to write complete trash

Fuck off, autismo. Go back to your garbage-tier R700 and let the adults talk.
>>
>>29512436
>>ITT: Anons argue semantics
The OP literally asked a question about semantics, what the fuck do you expect?

>>and call one another faggots.
That's a given, faggot.
>>
Isn't 7.62 and 5.56 military rounds before being hunting rounds?
>>
>>29512490
They're NATO rounds but .308 and .223 are still the same basically.

>>29512442
What the fuck are you talking about? How is Mil-Spec not related to what we're talking about when your dumb ass brought it up?
>>
>>29512624
>How is Mil-Spec not related to what we're talking about when your dumb ass brought it up?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a retard. I'll avoid replying to your threads in the future.
>>
File: sc_logo_400x400.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
sc_logo_400x400.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>29511808
From my understanding a good rifle for sniping should have a barrel of 24 inches or longer. .308 May be the standard but it is outpreformed by .260 Rem, .300 Win-Mag, .338 Lupa, 30-06, 6.5 Ceedmore at longer ranges so if you really want to reach out and snipe somebody at 1k or more those are your calibers. You ideally want a scope that gives you a broad field of view. You can learn a lot about sniping ( and even buy what you need ( including "rifle packages" which seem a bit overpriced but not outrageous ) at http://www.snipercentral.com/ if you want but I'm sure other /k/ommando's can turn you onto better places.
>>
>>29511758
Sniperskaya improvised

Vepr 23" 7.62x54mmR

and a PSO scope

bam instant sniperskaya

use match ammuntuon and get proper SVD esque furniture maybe a rail for bipod
>>
I thought the military was using the M2010?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.