[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why, of all calibers, is 22 LR subject to panic buying? If I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: ammo shortage.jpg (52 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
ammo shortage.jpg
52 KB, 620x330
Why, of all calibers, is 22 LR subject to panic buying? If I thought the government were about to take our guns, the last thing I'd be worried about is having enough of a squirrel-hunting/plinking round. Why not hoard a more useful caliber like 308 or 270 or shotgun shells?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/27/midway-usa-one-million-22-rounds-fly-off-our-shelves-in-three-days/

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/11/19/keefe-report-why-can-t-i-find-22-ammo/
>>
Several reasons.

It's generally been cheap plinking ammo, thus cheap to stock in bulk
If shit hit the fan a .22 would be great for small game and light ammo
Pretty much everybody has a .22
>>
>>29506777
22lr shortage was an attack by bloomberg and his chronies. They figured if they could make an artificial shortage, they could raise the price forever, and make it cost more for generations, thereby getting less people interested in shooting.

They pretty much suceeded in driving its baseline price up three-fold.
>no more 4th of July Penny-Shot sales.....
>FUCK anti-gunners.
>>
22 or 308 your still going to duck if it's coming your way. And can carry a bunch more.
>>
>>29506807
If shit hit the fan, defending yourself would be a greater priority than hunting wabbits, and you can hunt wabbits just as well with a small centerfire rifle like a 243 or any of the many 6.5mm rounds.

>>29506852
22 LR is not a combat round.
>>
cost.

have you SEEN what panic costs are of pistol calibers and rifle calibers? like real rifle calibers.

we're talking 50 cents to over a dollar per round.

the prices you see right now on amoseek etc are the new 'cheap' prices. .22 for 6-9 cpr, 9mm for 17-20 cpr, etc.

as for .22 the 'shortage' was bad but not a complete shortage a year or two ago, and now it's a 'shortage' at walmart but i bought it at dicks for like 6.5 cpr last month with boxes and boxes of it on the shelf. in the last 6 months i found it 8-10 cpr on the shelf in gun stores locally.

>shotgun shells, 308, 270

once again, look at what they cost. and no, not just the 7.5 field load 12 ga low brass bulk packs, those are always cheaper and less desirable.
>>
>>29506807
I've never heard this before?
>>
>>29506777
>Why not hoard a more useful caliber like 308 or 270 or shotgun shells?

There's some economic phenomena, forgot the name for it. It basically describes that the most useless shit will become money.

Take cigarettes in prison for example. The ones worth smoking won't be used as money because they are better smoked than circulated. The opposite is true for shitty cigarettes.

Currency only requires utility to everyone, or utility to someone they can trade with. You can still smoke shitty cigarettes, you can still shit in the fan with .22
>>
>>29506899
wrong post ment
>>29506831
>>
>>29506908
You're probably thinking of Gresham's law.
>>
>>29506908
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham's_law#Theory
>>
It is inexpensive to own 100,000 rounds of .22LR compared to..

Well anything else.

The people who are buying a shitload of ammo that they are never going to actually shoot and hoping they can trade it post TEOTWAKI aren't working with a big budget and can't afford an arsenal of centerfire rifles and the logistics around them. On some level they know its all bullshit anyway and that makes it easier for them to just go "I've got X amount of bullets" and be done with it.

I imagine those people are a big market for those .22s that externally resemble AR-15s and SCARs but are basically airsoft guns internally and quality wise.
>>
>>29506899
>I've never heard this before?
of course you are not gonna hear it come out of his mouth, or even other people on the news, due to the fact he is a major shareholder of all media news outlets.

His anti-gun campaign that he spent something like $80 billion on, was basically: "Stop the bullet, stop the gun"

it only takes an IQ >80 to tie the two together. My question is, with all that 22lr that was bought up and hoarded during the shortage, where did it all go???
>>
>>29506777
I think it was because of that "Fudd fears; Nuclear war the book" or whatever it was called help set it off.
>>
>>29507153
What good is 22 LR going to be in the event of a nuclear war? Centerfire would be much more useful.
>>
>>29506777
1. It's a very popular round. I've known a lot of old men that never owned a rifle that wasn't a .22. It's a good round for teaching new shooters.

2. Preppers. They vlog, blog, shit-post on forums, and write books saying that .22 is going to be the new currency when shit hits the fan (SHTF). They and the people they inspire fill up closets and entire rooms of .22lr that they will never shoot.
>>
>>29506777
.22lr is one of the most efficient rounds ever designed.
It's size and speed allow it to bypass most body armor and remain silent.
Also the lack of a primer allows the cartridge to be fully waterproof.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 497x732) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 497x732
>it's the year 2022
>America is in ruins over a brief, but brutal civil war
>the new States of Liberty have little central power
>citizens of the SoL have to fend for themselves
>no national currency
>ammunition is the blood and drives the work force of the new nation
>panic buyers' faces when they devalued .22lr
>5.56 becomes the most circulated round
>>
>>29508266
Watch it be something real obscure like that old round the m95s shot
>>
nigga take an economics class.

.22LR is a very low cost, low margin product. Any type of cartridge requires a substantial capital investment to produce, no one is going to invest in equipment to make more than they already are because the margin is a fraction of a goddamn cent on each round.
>>
>>29506852
If I'm sitting out at 500 meters or more, I'd rather have a .22LR being shot at me than a .308
>>
>>29506777
>>29506831
>>29506899
>>29507145
>>29508328
The .22 shortage was created by the increase in gun ownership after 2008. National retail sails of .22 LR are over 100 billion rounds per year.

Yeah, a lot of it is getting stashed by geriatrics (old men who buy the .22 because they think they won't be able to, because there wasn't any on the shelf last year), and a bunch is getting bought by scalpers (who never manage to sell everything they buy for resale, but since they sell at 300% markup, judging by the gunshow table prices I'm seeing, even a 50% turnover makes them a lot of money), but the fact is that at 120 billion rounds sold in the US, there's less than 1000 rounds per .22 owner per year hitting the market.

And no one's going to make the kind of investment needed to make it stop, because the profit margin on bulk .22 is shit.

Anyone who tells you it's a conspiracy is same kind of idiot that buys every box he sees because he's worried that someone's going to stop him.

There is almost certainly no conspiracy because we can clearly point to market forces causing what is happening. Occam's razor.
>>
>>29508475
>old men who buy the .22 because they think they won't be able to, because there wasn't any on the shelf last year
Fuck, meant to say
>last week
>>
>>29508234
>It's size and speed allow it to bypass most body armor and remain silent.
This has to be the fuddiest fudd shit I've ever read.
>>
>>29506777
The only bullet you dont reload

Shit goes down powder , primers , and lead will get me a long way.
But i dont have brass and dies for 22lr
>>
>>29506777
lowest barrier to entry (price), most bang for the buck (literally)
>>
File: 1415350762788.png (41 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1415350762788.png
41 KB, 625x626
>>29508234
>22lr
>speed
>>
>>29507145
And apparently it takes an IQ>100 to realize that you can "tie" just about anything together and make anything into a conspiracy theory if you base all of your ideas on speculation.

Correlation does not equal causation.
>>
>>29506880
1. Any round shot at you is a combat round.
2. .22lr can be suppressed very well
3. Lots of choices for rifles and handguns
4. Can carry over 100 rounds in regular pockets

My ideal bugout bag gun is a integrally suppressed Ruger charger with a Mare's leg style stock, iron sights, and a low profile red dot and a brick of ammo.
>>
>>29508615
The only armor that can stand against it is porcelain.
And you can make plate armor out of that using materials from the local home improvement store.
Laugh all you want, you won't find it so funny when I am raiding your house.
>>
>>29508266
We Metro now?
>>
>>29508692
A 32oz gatorade bottle is perfect to fit an entire 500rd brick in
>>
>>29508475
This.

It's simple supply and demand.

>people think obamas taking guns! people go buy guns
>what gun to buy? .22 lr is forgiving, cheap, and the guns themselves are inexpensive
>people start to buy due to a death spiral of demand outstripping supply, as in "oh no the .22lr is running out, better buy a 10,000 round brick even though I shoot only a two or three hundred or so rounds at the range".
>factories of .22lr are few and far between, requiring special tools and priming techniques (hence why you don't see .22lr hand-loaders, centerfire systems are comparatively simple)
>new factories take years to build and are expensive, insurance isn't necessarily a fan of factories that make sensitive explosives

The bullet ppl are cranking it out literally as fast as they can here, but the supply can't meet the massive sudden demand, that's why you are seeing 10 cpr for .22lr.

Throw in 2012 doomsday shit, sandy hook, and plain old paranoia about the government coming for yer freedums, and you get a perfect recipe for a shortage.
>>
I think it's because it is the cheapest round, and thus the easiest to buy and hoard.

Also fudds gonna fudd.
>>
>>29508266
.22LR = 10c
9x19 = 25c
.45 = 50c
.357 = $1
5.56 = $5
.308 = $10
.30-30 = $20
.50 = $50
20x102 = $100
>>
>>29508895
>YFW you can use one .22 to get all of the rest of them for free
>>
File: SLC Punk.gif (795 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
SLC Punk.gif
795 KB, 500x246
>>29508925
>ywn have to decide between saving your money for a barter later or a murder right now.
>>
I got my first 22 last summer. Never had issues finding it at my go to lgs. granted a box of 500 would be $50, other shops around me had some problems, but now I even see it in Wal-Mart at $17.99 for a box of fed 325rounds.
>>
>>29508703
soft armor doesnt have any problems with .22lr, this is either the shittiest b8 ever or youre legit retarded
>>
>>29508266
>be me
>average citizen of the States of Liberty
>just finished hunting with my trusty light AR-15 pistol
>gonnacookthefuckoutofthisrabbit.jpeg
>returning home when I hear very loud shuffling in a nearby gas station
>a person?
>no gas stations were completely raided years ago
>must be a bear
>try to continue on but hear the most foul ripping sound of a fart
>what
>tactically move in and look around a corner
>see a 300lb obese man with an even larger pack strangling the life out of his folds
>question myself how someone like this has lasted this long
>He must be a fresh out of a bunker
>realize he's prime meat for bandits and marauders
>decide to give him advice
>*ahem*
>He doesn't notice
>his ears must be filled with lard
>step inside gas station
>smells like shit
>then suddenly the obese man's nose flies into the air
>muh rabbit
>His eyes widen as he sees me
>his belly ripples like water as he jumps back a few inches
>You alright man
>"g-got any f-food?"
>only for myself but you shouldn't carr-
>"I GOT AMMO"
>sweet, got any 5.56?
>"ummm,.. No"
>how about .223?
>the obese man starts to sweat profusely
>"I g-got som-something better!"
>what^3
>he wheezes as he struggles to take off his pack
>it lands with the chimes of jingles of brass
>his hands tremble as he unzips it
>I don't even have to look in
>Nothing but thousands of loose .22lr overflowing his pack
>he gives me a sheepish grin
>"this must be worth it's weight in gold, huh"
>realize he's a complete idiot
>turn 180 and attempt to leave
>He sees muh rabbit
>"HEY" his voice cracks
>"I THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY FOOD"
>I look over my shoulder
>from under his folds he takes out a sawed off 10/22 w/ extended clipazine
>aw shit nigga
>jump out of doorway
>take cover behind wall
>fool starts blasting Everything inside
>flip safety off
>I know that fat fuck hasn't moved
>take a step back
>aim at wall in his general direction
>BAM BAM BAM
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x450
>>29509145
>hear Mount Everest topple over
>and thousands of .22lr scatter across the floor
>Loot sawed off 10/22 and a two handfuls of .22lr
>this might be worth an AR magazine
>go home
>cook rabbit
>such is life in the States of Liberty
>>
>>29509145
>turn 180 and attempt to leave
>turn 180
>Not 360 and moonwalking away
Fucking plebtier story 2/10
>>
>>29508830
>be me
>inna LGS buying shitty beat up SxS as a project gun
>Guy behind the counter is getting transfer paperwork taken care of when in comes the Fudd
>you got any of that .22lr
>no sir we're fresh out
>immediately the fudd vegans the rant about how he's been to 7-8 different suppliers and not one of them had .22lr
>2nd guy behind the counter starts going on this long well throughout explanation on how companies are switching to .17HMR instead of.22lr
> fiddle mumbles something and is off into in search of another store
>Guy #1 behind the counter starts laughing about how much bullshit guy #2 just said
>got him out of the store didn't it?
> finish paperwork get my gun and chuckle the whole ride home.
>such is life in PA
>>
>>29506777

Why did people buy up all the K31s and nuggets during the assault weapons ban panic?

Because people are fucking stupid
>>
>>29509125

There's some guy or guys on this board who've been posting about how .22lr is the best bullet ever for self defense for at least the last 2 years.

Nobody really bothers to correct him/them because they're clearly nuts and talk about how .22 is superior to 9mm hp because you can carry more and it tumbles inside the body or some stupid shit like that. I think it's just a poor person who likes shooting .22 and makes shit up to justify not buying another gun and frankly I'm ok with that.
>>
In these shtf scenarios you people dream of, is everyone just trying to kill everyone they see? Are you people really this retarded
>>
>>29509613

Someone breaks into your house. What would you rather have?

A) Loaded Double barrel shotgun.
B) Loaded 200 round fully automatic .22LR Rifle.
>>
>>29509655

SHTF stuff is attractive to a variety of misanthropes who fantasize absurd scenarios involving the end of the world as a form of escapism, allowing themselves to imagine circumstances in which they think they'd be valuable or prominent people by virtue of their gun hobby alone.
>>
>>29509231

kitty!
>>
>>29508594
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>29508709
We Fallout now?
>>
>>29509974
This. Going full raider is absolutely retarded.

Think of it this way:

No matter how bad things get, there's a chance it's been worse before. Social collapse is one thing- during the Black Death entire towns would die in a week. Just be gone, except a few survivors (maybe). People would contract it in the morning and be dead by sundown, and it was worse than any zombie outbreak. They didn't know about fleas and stuff, they just knew that people spontaneously would die. It literally looked like a biblical apocalypse.

And yet.... They rebuilt, and survived. Your average peasant was running around with a sword carving people up, because most people aren't sociopaths. They may have been able to get rich (due to relatives dying, inheritance, increased wages due to labor shortage, etc.) but they didn't go Immortan Joe at the drop of a fucking hat.

If you go full raider, someone will eventually go "fuck this guy" and get a group of people together to kill your ass. And if you rule your gang by fear, there's very little to keep one of your own from going "ya know maybe I should be the new warlord" and betraying you at their convenience.
>>
Whoever stocks up on 22lr for SHTF is in
for a joke.

22lr cant do shit in a armored vest situation any better than 9mm or greater. I wouldnt be roaming around without armor, so good luck with your useless squirrel ammo.
>>
>>29508692

> 1. Any round shot at you is a combat round.

Then all the sand niggers are probably using 22lr to fight each other

> 2. .22lr can be suppressed very well

Like this matters in a real combat situation. Everyone should be using supressors then.

> 3. Lots of choices for rifles and handguns

Just like every other caliber.

> 4. Can carry over 100 rounds in regular pockets

Yeah i'm going to fumble through my pockets to load rounds in during a combat situation.
>>
You guys are getting it all wrong. Poorfags want in on the hoarding/prepping culture but can't afford to buy stockpiles of real ammo like 7.62x39 or 5.56. So they go and buy up what they can. Its like the faggots that buy 8 mosin nagants but no other guns.
>>
>>29509770
Depends on if I have really good earpro.
>>
Because of all the fucking uncle toms that are only into guns for fun. A hobby. I think we need a name for these casuals. They don't care about their rights, just being able to pop soda cans is all they care about.
>>
>>29508475
>bunch is getting bought by scalpers at gunshows

This fucking shit pisses me off so much, when you live in a major population center all the fudds just go to Walmart sporting goods section every fucking morning to stock up on 300-500ct bulk pack 22lr to sell in the next gun show for 50-75 dollars a fucking box from a single table.
>>
>>29506777
because tinfoil hat horders tend also to be poorfags
>>
>>29506777
you can't reload .22LR, so people stock up.
>>
>>29514182

>mad at capitalism

anyway .22 is cheap and plentiful now, anybody at fault here is a retard who pays more for it because he supposedly can't find it cheaper elsewhere.
>>
My aunt is the sporting goods department manager at the Canton, Ga Wal-Mart. For over a year now, she has been holding every box of .22 that comes into the store for me. I go in to buy it, she goes on break and buys it for me with her discount. It works out great.
I checked inventory this week and I have over 125k rounds of various brands.
>>
>>29514926

dammit tommy thyroid
>>
>>29515138
dont call me that anymore jack wagon,
>>
fucking prepper retards and people flipping ammo.
>>
>>29511409
>Body armor
>headshots
>>
>>29514926
Tommy thyroid Tommy thyroid Tommy thyroid Tommy thyroid Tommy thyroid Tommy thyroid
>>
>>29515521
lumploaf
>>
>>29514926
Dude you're such a faglorino

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>29515794
how about pi** off, grown up are talking here BOY
>>
>>29514926
Ladies and gents,

Tommy Thyroid, professional piece of shit.
>>
File: laughing carlton.jpg (22 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing carlton.jpg
22 KB, 600x400
>mfw people on /k/ don't own 100k+ 5.56 and 500k+ .22 lr and aren't maxing their credit cards

it will literally never, ever get any cheaper. Next year the panic for 5.56 will make .22lr after sandy hook look like childs play
>>
>>29514903
Not in some areas of the US.
>>
>>29516083

God Bless the South.
>>
>>29506880
> Obviously a retard
>>
>>29508703
This is totaly false, IIa can stop .22lr its rated on the fucking vest to stop 22. Every vest can stop it.
Home made porcelain vest/plate is a bad idea. Go get some ar 500 plates if your that poor. They are not as good as say IV hard plates but they are much better than friggen homespun armor
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.