[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made 12 gauge the dominant bore size? Why is it so common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: shotgun shell sizes.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shotgun shell sizes.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
What made 12 gauge the dominant bore size? Why is it so common accepted, and why are 20 gauge and .410 the only others to really get any recognition? I remember 16 gauge being up there for a bit but fading into obscurity.

Why don't larger bores get any attention? I know 10 gauge is used by a few hunters but it's pretty rare, and what about things like 8 gauge or 4 gauges?
You'd think people would eat those ridiculously large rounds up like they do whenever pistols or rifles come out in fuckhuge calibers.
>>
>>29503059
http://www.chuckhawks.com/10_gauge_obsolete.htm
>>
>>29503149
That site doesn't want to work for me. It's just blank white.
>>
>>29503059
Is love to own a double barrel or triple barrel for 4g
>>
>>29503260
That sounds like a bad anime character's weapon.

I need one.
>>
>>29503219
I just checked and you're right, it's a broken link. Google's not turning up anything either.
I saved it to my favorites years ago, it was an informative article.
bummer
>>
The 10 is kinda a pain to shoot once you load it to the same standard as a magnum 12 load (and a mag 12 comparable to a 10 in most loads).
I don't think there's a good way to handle recoil that doesn't add weight to an already beefy gun.
>>
>>29503219
Thank god, you don't have to torture yourself by reading it.
70% fudd 10% actual good information 20% conjecture
>>
>>29503059
12 gauge is so popular because of its versatility. 20 gauge is great for upland game hunting and skeet shooting, 10 gauge is bomb shit for waterfowl and turkey blastin', and .410 is well-suited for...I'm not quite sure what, really. I had a .410 when I was a youngster and I don't remember ever using it to take game. I varminted with a .22 bolt gun and wetted up grouse and durr alike with a 12 gauge NEF break-action single.

Because the 12 gauge is a full-power cartridge with every type of loading you can imagine, it works for birds, trap, deer, drugged-up loonies, and everything in between. While the aforementioned gauges excel in niche roles, the 12 is a jack-of-all-trades. All it takes to turn my 16" Mossy from a HD piece to a pheasantslayer is a barrel swap and a tube full of birdshot instead of low-brass 00 buck.

Also, the fact that it's the only shotgun chambering American .mil and LEOs use (to my knowledge) contributes to it's popularity and commonality, much like 5.56, x51, and 9mm Para/.40S&W/.45 Auto.

Anyways, that's my take on the subject.
>>
12 just gives the best practical combination. With 3.5" shells you can pack as much shot as you need for anything and with lower powered loads you can have small enough shot for birds and such, but with a greater shot density and hit probability. You can more or less cover all your bases from light target loads to balls out 18 pellet 00 plated Buck with a single gun with acceptable weight and recoil.

.410 is a very limited cartridge
20 and 16 are both very good in their roles but are overshadowed. The fact that 16 even still exists is a testament to that. Both would make solid *sigh* tactical guns but those loads are few and far between. You can shoot 20 through a 6lb pump all day and the more powerful loads are nothing to scoff at.

BUT 12 is the star and it's easier to focus on one gun with a huge selection of loads.Jack of all trades, master of utility
>>
Isn't any shotgun that fires anything bigger than 12 considered a 'destructive device' by the American Dog Hunting Association?
>>
>>29503059
>16 gauge
Supposedly died off because of various sports with shotguns that were sorted by gauge, otherwise it performs the same as lower end 12 gauge while being usable in a lighter gun.

>10 gauge
12 gauge 3 1/2" magnum shells can push the same weight shot at the same velocity, and you can shoot normal 12 gauge shells through a gun chambered in it.

>8 gauge or 4 gauges
Heavy recoil and really not needed. A KS-23 would be fun though.
>>
>>29503894
What gauge would a KS-23 be if it was measured in gauges?
>>
my dad has a single shot 10 gauge and some magnum slugs to go with it, they're fucking enormous.

i wish there were combat pumps/semis for 10 ga, just for the sheer retardation factor

>>29503451
the .410 is good for groundhogs
>>
>>29503451
>.410 is well-suited for...I'm not quite sure what, really.
Loading into a revolver and blasting muggers
>>
>>29503922
4 gauge.
>>
File: 1280px-KS-23M-01[1].jpg (261 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1280px-KS-23M-01[1].jpg
261 KB, 1280x853
>>29503992
>>29503922
>tfw no pistol grip KS-23

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-23
>>
>>29504045
>KS-23K
>KS-23 bullpup with a box magazine

>prototype
>never produced
>can't get it into the US anyway
Why live?
>>
>>29504228
>Clinton banned it by name
just think of all the retarded shit you could do with custom 6.25ga loads

you could make it shoot rockets
>>
>>29504228

I still don't understand why it hasn't been imported
>>
>>29504308
just had the brilliant idea of shooting bottle rockets out of a shotgun, using primer to ignite the fuse
>>
>>29504316
Because Clinton was more interested in putting his metal tube into an intern than importing metal tubes for the rest of us.
>>29504337
GET OUT OF MY HEAD, CHARLES!

Seriously though, Gyrojet 2.0?
>>
>>29504349
Aren't we still receiving Mosins and SKSs?
Why would a "sporting arm" like the KS-23 be limited?
>>
>>29504375
Just because Russia calls it a "sporting arm" doesn't mean shit. Slick Willy said no by name.

Also, we haven't been getting shit at all from Russia lately.
>>
>>29504045
>not like I was ever planing to use my wrist again anyway
>>
>>29504439
I didn't know that.
What E.O. was that?

Why doesn't an American company make one?
>>
>>29504674
>Why doesn't an American company make one?
it's an extremely obscure shotgun with a very limited potential market, and there are no shells for it in the US so they'd also have to make their own ammunition
>>
>>29503945
DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS

http://www.briley.com/p-54402-briley-shotgun-magazine-extension-10-gauge-browning-gold.aspx

Why they don't have one for the BPS idkm and the Ithaca roadblocker was cooler
>>
What is the 4ga meant to shoot at? Elephants?
>>
File: 4 gauge.jpg (150 KB, 780x438) Image search: [Google]
4 gauge.jpg
150 KB, 780x438
>>29503260
>>
>>29504674
>What EO was that?
http://tcc.export.gov/Trade_Agreements/All_Trade_Agreements/exp_005371.asp
I believe the KS-23 itself is on the 2004 addition list, but I'm having issues finding it...

Yeah, not exactly an EO, but close.
>>
>>29504879
Nvm I found some for the BPS too.....fuck the BPS is pretty affordable right now.....fuck
>>
>>29504903
Entire flocks of birds actually. Seriously, look it up or Google punt gun
>>
>>29504972
>>29504879
nice, that's actually pretty fucking cool

what if they made a VEPR-10?
>>
>>29503059
probably the best balance between round size and recoil
>>
>>29504993
Shit man I still just want a S20, I'm not trying to fight aliums
>>
>>29504910
>the 2004 addition list

Thanks, Anon.
Does that mean that Bush signed it into law?

>>29504756
>it's an extremely obscure shotgun with a very limited potential market

Despite the M2011A1 being a stupid idea, people still made it and decided to call two handguns welded together "innovation."
>>
>>29505125
>M2011A1

When companies do things like that it's generally to Garner attention and show off their engineering prowess. Take the NEMO Titanium AR for example. Wildly impractical and extremely expensive but it showed people what the can do. Making left handed guns isn't as easy as it seems either.

Making a bigger shotgun does non of that and there would be some legal bullshit deal with.

Also the ks-23 looked like dogshit covered in catshit
>>
>>29503893
Not to my knowledge, "sporting purpose exemption" and all that jazz
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.